Is loaning youth player useful?

Hi to all,

the question about the efficienct of loaning out youth players has always puzzled me.

Now I've started a save with Inter, my favourite team, and I have some very good youngster like Pinamonti (mainly), Emmers, Vanheusden. With only Serie A and Italian domestic cup, without any european competition, is very difficult to guarantee minutes of playing to this youngsters, so I was thinking about of sending them on loan.

Is the loan useful?

What shall I look for to find a team that can develop my youngster and don't waste time?

Thank you

Players develop trough training and matches. With only training or only matches they will not develop to there full potential - so if you have a promising player that is to good for your youth side but nothing more than a bench player in your first team loaning them is the best option. 

The best way to develop a youth player is through playing them in your first team - obviously the problem is there aren't many youth players good enough to play in the first team.

But through playing them in the first team you can give them game time and still train them the way you want, as I believe if they go on loan you can't control how they are trained. However in my opinion game time is the most important factor after a certain age so loaning them out is pretty much needed to further develop them.

I know this.

The problem is that at Inter I have excellent training facilities, and when I offer a youngster on loan I always receive offers from teams with bad or average training facilities.

In this case, in your opinion, is better to give them High number of match with bad training facilities or only few matches in my team?

1 hour ago, Ivan787 said:

I know this.

The problem is that at Inter I have excellent training facilities, and when I offer a youngster on loan I always receive offers from teams with bad or average training facilities.

In this case, in your opinion, is better to give them High number of match with bad training facilities or only few matches in my team?

For me the key issue is whether the loaning club accepts him as a key player - if he plays regularly he'll develop. If he's back-up at a club with inferior training facilities it'll be a waste of time.

Loaning players out is mostly bad.

There is some rare edge cases where the player on loan end up being a huge success in a club that wins a lot. You have to screen all the clubs and make sure they play at a high enough level and they are the top club in the leagues.

Loaned a 2 star player out to a top Championship club and he didn't develop much. the loan ended close to the end of the season getting a 5 month injury. Complete waist of time. My training facility and playing him in cup matches would have given better result.

You don't need to loan out most players to get them ready for first team football, I'm winning Prem league and Champions Cup with 17 years old's on my 1st team squad and I buy them as youngsters and develop them in-house until they can join the 1st team squad as backups.

There's a little misinformation here.

Before the age of 18, training is the essential factor in young player development.  At 18 and above, playing matches at the right competitive level is more important for player development.  This "right competitive level" might be in your first team, it might be in your youth team, or it might be out on loan.  Match performance and player rating can be a good indicator here.

Also, if you are going to loan out, pick the right club - not just from a competitive level perspective but also amount of match time offered (key / first team player ideally) and quality of facilities.  It's also a good idea to keep a close eye on how the player is developing while on loan and recall him (make sure that's a clause in the contract) if it's not looking good.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

There's a little misinformation here.

Before the age of 18, training is the essential factor in young player development.  At 18 and above, playing matches at the right competitive level is more important for player development.  This "right competitive level" might be in your first team, it might be in your youth team, or it might be out on loan.  Match performance and player rating can be a good indicator here.

Also, if you are going to loan out, pick the right club - not just from a competitive level perspective but also amount of match time offered (key / first team player ideally) and quality of facilities.  It's also a good idea to keep a close eye on how the player is developing while on loan and recall him (make sure that's a clause in the contract) if it's not looking good.

Just to add to this, I also look at the expectation (pre-season) or current position (in-season) to help decide if I want to loan to them.  Ideally you want him playing in a team that performs well rather than a struggling team that the player will struggle to perform in due to the quality of the players around him.

Archived