Tactical Help - Basic Player Roles Help

Hiya, been having mixed results so wanted to check what people thought of my initial player roles, currently playing

GK - D

WB-S  CD-D  CD-D  FB-S

BBM-S  DLP-D  CAR-S

IF-A  F9-S  W-A

Right hand side:

1. IF offers goals from the right and is my current top goalscorer.

2. On the right I have gone for a WB to still offer width and a BBM to help cover any gaps on that side.

Left hand side:

1. W provides an outlet hugging the touchline, so a FB behind to help cover defensively in case the W doesnt track back, plus it adds another defender in case the WB on the other side is caught out.

2. Thought I would try the CARR role as I guess he doesnt need to be the BBM player which I already have, plus with the F9 moving around I thought having someone to fill the gaps might work well.

Through the Centre:

1. F9 helps move the CDs from their position for the IF and / or BBM running from deep or he has space to have long range efforts or pick out a pass.

2. DLP to provide quicker attacks especially as I like playing counter attacking, plus offers additional defensive support in front of the two centre backs.

3. CDs are just steady away, I dont want them to launch balls from the back as they are not good enough, I want them to give it to the DLP.

So just wondered if people thought my roles clashed in anyway just so at least I know the base formation is correct, was a little unsure if having the BBM and IF on the same side and with having no real striker could I play a Poacher as I have a great one in the squad.  

Also as this is a counter formation what would be the best way to change this for a more control tactic?  I thought about removing the F9 to have more of a presence in the box and / or the DLP to maybe be more aggressive playing a BWM.

Any help much appreciated.

If you want to play a counter attacking system I’d reconsider the DLP(d) and F9 roles.

Instead of playing quick passes, the DLP will act as a pivot recycling possession. Your midfield players will often go back to the DLP rather than to the forwards. 

Similarly, the F9 will drop deep and get involved in build up play. That might be fine in a control tactic where you want to dominate possession, but if I were playing a fast counter, I’d want my striker high up the pitch providing a target for a more direct pass. 

BBM-S isn't really a "cover" role like you say, he's allowed to roam which means he can move further away from his MCR position.  The CAR-S is more a role that covers and helps wider areas, maybe switch them?  The BBM should find space between the F9 and W whilst the CAR doesn't get so high as often so leaves space for IF to come inside.

Watch your F9, just because he drops deep spent mean a DC will follow him, if they can pass him off to a DM/CM they will do, and will be able to cover the wide players runs and block passing lanes

DLP-D for me is more a patient ball rotator, not many key passes and fewer assists. PPMs can help but might also need to add PIs to encourage more direct passes into space.

Archived