Nurturing the next Pirlo

I'm currently in my first year of managing Hellas Verona and I was just gifted one of the most extraordinary talents I've ever seen through my youth intake:

wha7xe5.png

Only 15 years old but already a decent rotation option at Serie A level and touted by my head of youth development as potentially one of the best of his generation, needless to say this is the kind of talent that completely changes the focus of this save, my primary purpose from now on is to mould this player into the best midfield playmaker of his generation.

Blessed with a world class first touch and already displaying excellent passing, vision and decision making the obvious idea is to turn him into the next great Italian regista. Some of his attributes are worrying and will require careful nurturing to improve but the biggest task will be to build a tactical style that gets the very most out of a talented regista on a stringent relegation-battle budget, something that may prove difficult for me as I have no experience with that player role and very little with that kind of style, having mostly favoured quick transitions and playing through the wings in most of my FM saves for the last few years. If anyone knows of any threads or articles on how to best use the regista on FM I would love to give them a read!

In terms of development my first course of action would have been to get Laurenzi a tutor with a highly professional personality, but as he is already fairly professional I could instead get him tutored by Marco Fossati who has some PPM's that are desirable in a playmaker like "Dictates Tempo", "Tries Killer Balls Often" and "Comes Deep To Get Ball". I have also put Laurenzi on the regista training schedule with additional training in composure to start with, though I intend to rotate the focus on other attributes like off the ball, technique and dribbling.

IF it was me, i would set my under 18's training to TACTICAL so it improves mental stats at a faster rate, i would also set him to roaming playmaker. Extra focus as you already have on composure. 

Also Tutored by Fossati and another person with a higher professionalism rating, and determination stat.

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 02:17, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

I'm currently in my first year of managing Hellas Verona and I was just gifted one of the most extraordinary talents I've ever seen through my youth intake:

wha7xe5.png

Only 15 years old but already a decent rotation option at Serie A level and touted by my head of youth development as potentially one of the best of his generation, needless to say this is the kind of talent that completely changes the focus of this save, my primary purpose from now on is to mould this player into the best midfield playmaker of his generation.

Blessed with a world class first touch and already displaying excellent passing, vision and decision making the obvious idea is to turn him into the next great Italian regista. Some of his attributes are worrying and will require careful nurturing to improve but the biggest task will be to build a tactical style that gets the very most out of a talented regista on a stringent relegation-battle budget, something that may prove difficult for me as I have no experience with that player role and very little with that kind of style, having mostly favoured quick transitions and playing through the wings in most of my FM saves for the last few years. If anyone knows of any threads or articles on how to best use the regista on FM I would love to give them a read!

In terms of development my first course of action would have been to get Laurenzi a tutor with a highly professional personality, but as he is already fairly professional I could instead get him tutored by Marco Fossati who has some PPM's that are desirable in a playmaker like "Dictates Tempo", "Tries Killer Balls Often" and "Comes Deep To Get Ball". I have also put Laurenzi on the regista training schedule with additional training in composure to start with, though I intend to rotate the focus on other attributes like off the ball, technique and dribbling.

I will really love an update on what kind of tactical set up yould use to make your Regista flourish.

Most people argue that you can get the true feel of this role in a counter Structured system(which most times,if not always,accompanies a 5-1-2-2 kind of formation).Im used to fluid systems and I understand the thinking behind making the system to be structured with direct passing for him to act as the "sole" playmaker.I just want to see if you can get a balanced system that works for it.

Just out of interest, if you tutor a young player who has Determination of, say, 18, with a first team player who has Determination of 13 with the intention of learning PPM's, will the young player's Determination fall due to being Tutored by a lower level determination player?

42 minutes ago, EvertonFC33 said:

Just out of interest, if you tutor a young player who has Determination of, say, 18, with a first team player who has Determination of 13 with the intention of learning PPM's, will the young player's Determination fall due to being Tutored by a lower level determination player?

Yes, I'm afraid so.

It’s a shame his attributes aren’t particularly balanced. With that first touch, passing and vision, I’d like to have him play in the no. 10 position. Unfortunately he’s lacking in dribbling and off the ball. While his OTB could improve to a decent number, with just 5 in dribbling I don’t think we’ll be able to get that sufficiently high enough. 

I think you are right in that a Regista or similar role is his best option. I’d still be a little concerned by his defensive attributes. I’d train him as a BWM at first just to try and raise his bravery, tackling and positioning. I’d be looking to already have him in the first team by age 17 but feel he’d need to improve those attributes first before he can compete effectively. 

Once you feel comfortable that he won’t be a liability defensively, the more action he can get the quicker he’ll develop. His mentals and physicals will improve naturally with age and experience anyway, so once he is established, that might be the time to really focus on the Regista attributes. You could always do some additional focus on a mental (especially composure) or physical if one of these attributes doesn’t quite develop as you’d like. 

16 hours ago, AFCBeer said:

It’s a shame his attributes aren’t particularly balanced. With that first touch, passing and vision, I’d like to have him play in the no. 10 position. Unfortunately he’s lacking in dribbling and off the ball. While his OTB could improve to a decent number, with just 5 in dribbling I don’t think we’ll be able to get that sufficiently high enough. 

I think you are right in that a Regista or similar role is his best option. I’d still be a little concerned by his defensive attributes. I’d train him as a BWM at first just to try and raise his bravery, tackling and positioning. I’d be looking to already have him in the first team by age 17 but feel he’d need to improve those attributes first before he can compete effectively. 

Once you feel comfortable that he won’t be a liability defensively, the more action he can get the quicker he’ll develop. His mentals and physicals will improve naturally with age and experience anyway, so once he is established, that might be the time to really focus on the Regista attributes. You could always do some additional focus on a mental (especially composure) or physical if one of these attributes doesn’t quite develop as you’d like. 

Whilst I would normally agree with the first bit, but if you play him with either Enganche (that doesnt dribble much) or advanced playmaker on support with dribbles less. With PPM rarely dribbles. IIRC that is a PPM you can train... I could be wrong.

Archived