Good players for English league 2

MontyOnTheRun

So I'm managing perennial underdog Accrington (set up Liverpool as parent club and loaning Jones, Whelan, Virtue, and Dhanda from them). Have John Arne Riise coming in as leftback/U18 coach for one last hurrah - he's league 1 quality and apparently my best player. But I need one or two more top free transfer players if I am going to push for promotion. I've employed the legendary Derek Langley as Chief Scout and I'm sure he'll find someone for me as the season goes along (not sure about sending him outside our UK scouting range). Please, someone suggest a good player I can bring to Accrington for free.

Leonel Bontempo should be for free, he is very good defender which can make big number of assists, maybe you could loan or try to buy Tyrell Warren and Callum Gribbin from Manchester United, i bought them really cheap, warren for 525k, girbbin for 700k.

Also Pedrinho from COR is really good, also cheap, maybe you could loan him.

All of them are pretty young and you can sell them for much more in few years.

If you have space for more loanees, I had Callum Gribbin and Michael Folivi on free loans at Lincoln. Folivi was my top scorer, scoring 20 goals in the league, while Gribbin's average rating over the season was 7,41 playing mainly as a wide midfielder on the left in a 442.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I'm trying to limit all my loans to only from my parent club (I'm a Liverpool fan), so no more space for loanes at the moment. Virtue has been a revelation - he's already listing Accrington as his favorite club after 1/2 season. I guess they become loyal to whatever club first gives them their break (he had no senior games to his name prior to joining) .

Whitely looks good, but I'm not crazy about his lack of determination. He's valued at £81K in my game, which with Accrington's finances can be a risk.

Instead I went for free transfer Mads Pedersen. Really like this player! This guy was actually highly touted in Denmark and represented his country at all youth levels. He then went to Sandefjord in Norway's top flight and did really well, but for some reason he ended up on a free transfer. He's got aggression, leadership, workrate, and bravery - really brings our midfield together and makes our team look solid. I had to promise him an escape clause should we fail to gain promotion, but with 20 games to go it looks like we will manage to get promoted on first try. This is someone I reckon I can sell later on for £300K-£600K.

My second signing that I'm mulling over is Sebastian Remme Berge. Most Norwegian FMers will remember this guy from his days in the Molde B-team. Never scuff at a perfectionist personality with 4 PPMs and a 17 determination! He had some problems with injuries at Molde and decided to take a "rest year" at Ullern (a 4th tier club in Norway). I guess this is why he's so easy to poach - Ullern want a mere £800 to let this hidden gem go! And what's even more amazing is that my scout Langley reckons he's a potential Championship quality player. I'll figure he'll either make the grade with Accrington as we move up the league system, or at the very least he'll be a decent backup option.

My best signing so far however has been John Arne Riise on a free transfer. Talk about turning back the years! This legend had 5 goals in his first 10 games and are carrying my Accrington youngsters on his own. I tell him to lurk outside area on corners - the ball falls to him and he buries it into the net on a volley. I tell him to hit his free kicks with power - he thunders them in off the underside of the bar. I tell him we need a goal and move him from left-back to left wing and instruct him to "shoot more" - the ball falls to him outside the area and he smashes it into the top corner. Never seen any decent longshooter have this much of an impact. His goals are bringing all 2000 spectators at the Store First Stadium to their feet! He became an instant dressing room leader when he arrived, he took up a second gig as U-18 coach (while completing his Continental Pro License), he's played every game without injury, and he tutored our young Australian sensation Reagan Ogle to become a carbon copy of himself. All the while asking for only £800 a week in wages! As a fullback on automatic mentality and for an underdog like Accrington that plays a slow tempo, deep defensive line, he's absolutely bossing it. He might be deserving of his own thread if he keeps this up.

Archived