Making a 4-1-2-3 work

So last year I started a thread (which I didn't update too well) about creating a tactic for FM17. The link to which is here.

I've always been a big fan of the formation and have used it throughout most of my FM career. So naturally I wanted to create one in FM18. Having re-read all guides possible and seeing multiple people struggling to get the formation firing, I decided to refer back to my post from last year. The original setup didn't quite work out too well so as you can see from a later comment, I'd made some changes. 

Similarly to FM17, I have a talented right winger in Vignato that I want to utilise and I want him to provide assists for both the IF  and CF. One the best purchases I've made is Nicolo Barella from Cagliari for £7.5m.Contributing 5 goals and 8 assists in his first season playing as a Mezzala with and average rating of 7.23 in his first season and still only a young lad.

Anyway, onto the tactic. I've set up as follows:

5a4e4447127c3_ScreenShot2018-01-04at13_30_10.thumb.png.72396853b1d044e3d86152ae088b6fa0.png

So the idea is to engage the opponent as soon as they hit the half way line which keeps us compact and doesn't let us get too stretched, win the ball back and look for Vignato on the break. The play usually starts with the IF who comes deep and central to provide the initial outlet and then the Mez (who likes to switch ball to the other flank) will spray one out to the winger. The IF, CF and Mez then bust a gut to get in the box for the cross. This has been pretty successful this year with Vignato finishing with 17 assists, more than any other PL player this season. Both Keane and Crutone finished the season with a decent goal tally of 14 and 13 respectively. 

I will say that the above image is the end result of a season full of tinkering. A fairly inconsistent campaign with me floating around mid-table for the majority of the season. I was trying a few different things but this setup is when everything clicked. I came up with this for the Arsenal game after losing 4-2 to Bournemouth in the FA cup. As you can see, I enjoyed wins over Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. I should have beaten Man Utd and could have come away with a point at City if wasn't for some poor finishing. The loss against stoke was due to Yedlin being sent off in the first half. All in all, a good end to the season which saw me move up and finish 7th and qualify for Europe. 

5a4e4d507cb20_ScreenShot2018-01-04at13_33_52.thumb.png.d60482f2bbf893b64ac726093e3b5aa6.png

Hopefully this form will continue into the new season with a few quality signings. Sule was transfer listed by Bayern so picked him up for £22.5m. 

The only thing I've struggled with the wing backs. I can dominate a game and win by a couple of goals with everyone seeing ratings above 7. However the highest the wing backs get is around 6.8. I switch between WB and CWB on both sides with the same duties. If I'm facing a weaker side I'll use CWBs to be a bit more adventurous going forward however they still struggle. I guess if results are good and I'm playing how I want to play then I can't really complain but any pointers are welcome.

I've seen a couple of posts about the MEZ and people debating the same thing. Looking what they have given the team in terms of goals and assists, I have no complaint about how the play together, they have both provided goals and assists and have been 2 of the better players this season. I do alternate between the MEZ and CM-A depending on personnel but Barella has been very good in that position

I gotta be honest,

With FM18 the Mezzala role is my biggest disappointment. I say this because, when i first heard about the role, i imagine in my head how great it would work in a 4123 DM wide, replacing the CM(a) that i've been using in the last 2 or 3 years.

But the truth is, the more i play the more i think that the Mezzala dont fit in tactic that also have players in attacking wide positions, despite the role they might use (Winger, IF, AP....), because any player will, more or less, get in the Mezzala way.

This is, at least my opinion from playing the game.

Because of that i would recommend replacing the MEZ(a) for a CM(a), with the PI to more risky passes and roam from position, and on that wing replacing the IF for a Winger, to provide more space for the forward runs from the CM(a).

Another thing i think it's a bit extreme it's your midfield combination: MEZ(a)+BBM(s)+HB(d).

You have 2 players that will get really high in the pitch when in possession, leaving the HB very deep. This will leave a big gap in you midfield. I think you should change the BBM(s) another role like a CM(s) or a BWM(s) so that you have to players to provide support to your team when in attack.

I think that this could be also why your wingbacks have low rating. They too will get forward, but i think they dont get support from the midfield when they try to get into a higher position, because your midfield players are already push up agains the opponent defense.

How I imagined the Mezzala role to work is how Man City use KDB in real life. When an inside forward such as Sterling cuts inside KDB often overlaps down the right flank. 

Unfortunately I don’t think this type of movement is possible yet in FM. This also might not be what SI intended with the role. I’ve only used it briefly but it does seem better suited to exploiting the space on the inside of a winger and I have no problem if that is what was intended. 

2 hours ago, alanfishead said:

I've seen a couple of posts about the MEZ and people debating the same thing. Looking what they have given the team in terms of goals and assists, I have no complaint about how the play together, they have both provided goals and assists and have been 2 of the better players this season. I do alternate between the MEZ and CM-A depending on personnel but Barella has been very good in that position

Remember the saying "lies, damned lies, and statistics".  Goals + Assists include things like counter attacks and set pieces which have little to do with your roles+duties.

Whilst they have been good, that doesn't mean they can't do better, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!  I think using the CM-A all the time rather than MEZ-A could work well even if its not his perfect role.  As @Keyzer Soze also mentioned you could add PI to his role to make him a bit more like a MEZ but without the hard coded behavior that puts him in the same areas as the Inside Forward.

I'd prefer the RB to be more conservative.  With a Winger in front of him he doesn't really need to get forward early, he only needs to provide width when your in the attacking third when the winger starts to tuck in a bit to be a goal threat.  I'd probably start by using a FB-S so he's a little deeper and doesn't make as many forward runs, just giving a bit more depth for recycling and collecting loose balls etc rather than having another player trying to break the lines.

Archived