Help Please - How to Game Out When Winning

Beginner playing Real Madrid.  I want to pass the game out when I have a lead.  So I do what seems obvious:

Shorter Passing

Retain Possession

Lots of roles on support, so always have options (playing 4123). FBs on defend.

Contain (so TimeWasting on highest)

Very Fluid

2 DLPs center mid

High defensive line

But a lot of the time, instead of an easy pass, even if slightly backward, they'll do something risky and lose the ball, e.g. cross into a crowded box.  It's like the Match Implementation doesn't realize I don't care if I score, I just want to keep the ball.

All help appreciated

what roles are you using for the player crossing the ball?  If they are hard coded to cross the ball often then at times they will still do this - also think about the shape you are using -very fluid will give a greater degree of independence and creativity, meaning they are more likely to go away from your sent instructions.  Very structured would give less freedom.

16 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

what roles are you using for the player crossing the ball?  If they are hard coded to cross the ball often then at times they will still do this - also think about the shape you are using -very fluid will give a greater degree of independence and creativity, meaning they are more likely to go away from your sent instructions.  Very structured would give less freedom.

Roles: IF-S.  I was thinking "very fluid" would help the attackers come back defensively.

Why not keep playing the way you are? If you are winning then the opposition will overstretch to try to get back in the game. You can't exploit that space if you pass the ball around in your own half. That is what will happen and although you say everyone on support will help that wont necessarily keep the ball. Two DLP in midfield will just pass the ball to each other and make you predictable. 

Sit deep

Play slower

Retain possession 

These are the most common shouts to keep the ball.

Standard mentality will help players make better, less risky decisions. Structured will keep them to the tactical set up.

First thing I would do is not to defend so high. Do note your players concentration and etc attributes will drop as they get tired towards the end of the game. One lapse in concentration and the opposition could have a goal scoring chance.

Another thing is combining retain possession and shorter passing. It's like telling your players to play keep ball no matter what the situation is. Sometimes, you need your defenders or players to just hoof the ball away. Teams will press you when they try to chase the game so a long ball upfront could give you a chance of a counter.

Archived