HELP - Release Clause Doesn't Apply?

I found a brilliant wonderkid with a release clause under 1 million - which seems to good to be true. The catch is, he's non-EU, and I'm out of non-EU spots for the season. So, naturally, I selected "End of Season" as the transfer date, yet the release clause no longer works. Apparently, the only way I can sign him for 775k is if I sign him for the next available window, which is January, at which point the transfer would be cancelled.

Is this how it works in real life, or is this a bug I should report? If this is how this works IRL then I'll just have to wait it out, I guess, but that doesn't seem right. If this is a bug I guess I will have to use the editor to sign him and then send him back on loan to simulate him staying until the end of the season.

18 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's not a bug. He will need to transfer as soon as is possible.

So there is absolutely no way - IRL or in game - to activate the release clause of a non-EU player when you have no available non-EU spots except to wait until after the January window closes so he automatically is pushed to joining in summer?

I guess stuff like this is just frustrating considering how many workarounds we see in reality, like having another club do the deal for you, gentlemen's agreements to wait on the formalities, etc.

It also seems strange that the club will not accept any of my offers of much larger sums of money with the stipulation the transfer not be made til the end of my season, which would only benefit the selling club both financially and allow them to keep the player later than losing him to another club for <1m in two months…

I found this lad before Chelsea, who are now interested as well, and I'm not sue I'll be able to sign him before they do.

8 hours ago, Weston said:

So there is absolutely no way - IRL or in game - to activate the release clause of a non-EU player when you have no available non-EU spots except to wait until after the January window closes so he automatically is pushed to joining in summer?

I guess stuff like this is just frustrating considering how many workarounds we see in reality, like having another club do the deal for you, gentlemen's agreements to wait on the formalities, etc.

There would be no strict way  for activate in FM or real life. But obviously real life has far more grey area workarounds (many being cracked down on, it has to be said).

What I would raise is the rejection of your high cash offers though, worth them having at look at that. without looking at the save or any more detail, seems a bit odd.

7 minutes ago, cris182 said:

Maybe his release clause isn't valid as far ahead as the date you wish to do the transfer

Nope, the release clause has a set expiration date two years in the future, so I really don't understand why I wouldn't be able to activate it at a set future date. I want to use the editor to workaround this, but only if it's realistic, as I don't want to cheat, but I also don't want to miss out on this amazing deal for some weird game technicality.

And I feel really silly too because I talked to the press about my interest in him thinking that would help push the future transfer through and now Chelsea know about him after that.

Well I signed him just so he couldn't be signed elsewhere even though I knew it would be canceled in January. I thought it was weird enough I was allowed to do that, but then January came, and... he actually joined. So I was allowed 3 non-EU players in one season, I just can't register him. So I assume this is a bug now? I'm just going to use the editor to send him back to his old club on loan til my season ends.

image.thumb.png.b5b35d020ad4599faefa6ff3966ff62a.png

14 minutes ago, dwardz said:

at my fm, i can only activate release clause at immediate transfer and not at the end of season transfer. maybe the release clausein this game is only intended for immediate transfer no matter when the expiring date is?

That's what it seems like, which I don't necessarily agree with.

No, you can sign more than your allotted amount, you just cannot register them.  Just like you can sign players without a WP in English but cannot play them.  It may be that one of your EU players become a EU national in the near future (through naturalisation) and you can register them then.

29 minutes ago, Geordieboy52 said:

No, you can sign more than your allotted amount, you just cannot register them.  Just like you can sign players without a WP in English but cannot play them.  It may be that one of your EU players become a EU national in the near future (through naturalisation) and you can register them then.

Oh really? I thought I recall a transfer being cancelled once because of the EU allotment. If he can be signed, just not registered, why didn't someone tell me this before and save me all this worry over nothing haha

Does this mean I could theoretically have sold a non-EU player in the January window and have him take that space, even though that would mean I'd registered three different new players that season, just only two at any single point in time?

I'm assuming you're in Italy; I had a message in my inbox stating the rules for registration of non-eu players and it said that there was a limited about how many players could be registered and re-registered but essentially, yes you can sign and move them on for loan etc.  At least, as far as I am aware.

5 hours ago, Geordieboy52 said:

I'm assuming you're in Italy; I had a message in my inbox stating the rules for registration of non-eu players and it said that there was a limited about how many players could be registered and re-registered but essentially, yes you can sign and move them on for loan etc.  At least, as far as I am aware.

Guess that's what I get for not reading the fine print! This definitely is different from last season because I remember a Brazilian youth transfer my backroom staff arranged before I took the job being cancelled once it initiated in January because I had gone and signed a non-EU player myself as well which filled the quota.

On 1/12/2018 at 09:31, Geordieboy52 said:

I could be wrong and it could be on a game by game basis, but I a was able to sign more than I could register and had to ship out before I could register Golovkin.

I don't know, the rules say "sign" not "register" and it's explained under "transfers." Otherwise, I'd imagine clubs would just stockpile non-EU players and loan them out. Can someone please clarify if me being able to sign Ocampo is a bug or not? If it is a bug then I will want to sign one less non-EU player than the game will allow next season to "fix" this in an attempt to stay true to realism.

image.png

I had a similar issue at SPAL, where a player was allowed to join but then couldn't be registered. 

The problem was, even after I sold one of the other non-EU players during that same window, or de-registered him, I could not register the player. And he couldn't be loaned out because I signed him to be a key player and I imagine no one thought it would be viable. So he sat rotting in my squad.

6 hours ago, Geordieboy52 said:

I am playing FMT so rules may be slightly less stringent...

That's probably the case, though it's still unclear why my experience appears to directly contradict the rules...

Could you not sign him with the option to immediately loan him back to the selling club? That way, you have the rights to the player (so the clause should be active) and you do not have to worry about him being unable to play until you have space to register him, because he stays and plays at his old club. I often do this with young players I try to sign in the mid season window.

6 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Could you not sign him with the option to immediately loan him back to the selling club? That way, you have the rights to the player (so the clause should be active) and you do not have to worry about him being unable to play until you have space to register him, because he stays and plays at his old club. I often do this with young players I try to sign in the mid season window.

I could not, I believe because the selling club's transfer window was closed at the time, so they could not take him in on loan. I assume that is how real life works and is not an issue of the game, which is something they should look to allow IRL to be honest.

17 hours ago, Weston said:

I could not, I believe because the selling club's transfer window was closed at the time, so they could not take him in on loan. I assume that is how real life works and is not an issue of the game, which is something they should look to allow IRL to be honest.

Well, that definitely sucks! I think you are right, at least I know in England loans start and end in transfer windows now. I hope you do not/did not miss out on him!

After signing Ocampos my game says that I currently signed 1/1 non-EU allotted players for the season, even though he joined last season. I assume this is because I registered him, so it was still adding to my squad in that way.

This season I attempted to sign another non-EU player with a loan-back clause, to see what what happen. The game allowed me to sign him, so I suppose I can register him as my one new non-EU player next season, however the strange thing is now it says I've signed 2/2 of my non-EU players allotted, so it IS counting it, but gave me second space I'm not supposed to have? Also it doesn't seem to have actually taken any money out of my budget for the signing to go through... Is that just because of the loan back and the money gets withdrawn when he really joins for some reason? Not sure why it asked me to adjust my budget to facilitate the deal if that's the case...

Very confused. Can an SI person please give me some guidance here? I don't want to be exploiting the game and will want to report this as a bug if that is the case.

9 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

@Weston, if you even suspect it's a bug, report it and upload the save from before signing a player you think you're not supposed to. That gets the SI testers to look at the situation.

I've been chastised for making duplicate threads before and thought it more than possible I was just misunderstanding the rules that were meant to be. Guess I'll post it there and let them tell me what's going on.

• 1 year later...

So I was told in this thread last year that it is registrations, not signings that count towards the non-EU limit, but now it looks like the opposite is true because I signed a player and did not register him and he still filled my slot. Can anyone confirm what the deal is here..?

Archived