How would you set up the Real Madrid 3 man midfield?

With Casemiro. Toni Kroos and Luka Modric. 

I have been playing a 4-1-2-2-1 formation ( 4-3-3) and in the past have tried to replicate how they play IRL. The problem I have found is that both CM's sort of stand near each other rather than one being on the right side of pitch and the other being on the left side. I have tried different roles and just wondering what the FM guru's think about it. 

I would think Casemiro is the DM, Toni Kroos is a DLP and Modric is a roaming playmaker. 

Guest El Payaso

I would probably go with DLP(D) for Kroos, BWM(S) for Casemiro and RPM for Modric. Two runners and a metronome in the midfield. 

I play Real Madrid 41221, I assume the same as Elitee.  I don't know how they play IRL anymore - last I saw was a 4-2-4 against Sevilla.

I play Casemiro as a DM, either Defending or Supporting depending on whether I'm happy with the scoreline.  I play both Kroos and Modric as playmakers, most often with Modric as DLP-D and Kroos as AP-S.  My goal is to get some North-South distance.  IMHO it works quite well, they can pass to each other if they wish, and a lot of the time one of them is running sideways with the ball anyway.

It's been very successful, though it is Real Madrid.  I'm not a great FM player, but I do watch every game on 2D while on the elliptical, and the best players (Rashidi, Cleon etc.) probably aren't doing RM saves.  

Just because someone such as Modric has great passing ability doesn't mean you have to give him a playmaker role.  You can of course and if that fits in with the rest of your team selections then fine, but the overall balance is more important.

i would probably go with:

Casemiro: DM(d) or DM(s)

Kroos and Modric: CM(s)

I wouldn't choose a playmaker role for Kroos or Modric so that one can't overshadow the other.

Then, i probably go with a set of PI's to take advantage of their quality.

Kroos: More Risky passes, Get Further Forward, move into channels

Modric: More Risky passes, Roam from position

This is my RM tactic when I'm trying to win.  I'll start with it unless I'm playing a top, top team.  I'll change it we're winning, or if I'm happy with a draw. I've attached the second one, so you can see the (slight) differences.    I have another eight in my folder, and I'll change other things if I make subs. 

I'd invite constructive criticism, how to change it etc.  In particular, I'm missing a place for Asensio  or Isco.  Put how to put them in while maintaining balance.

4-1-2-3 DM Wide Attacking RM.fmf

4-1-2-3 DM Wide Defensive RM.fmf

• 3 weeks later...

Real Madrid haven't even played 4-3-3 regularly for a few years?

Their system is difficult to replicate in FM. If I recall the timing correctly, on their first CL winning season under Zidane they played a really narrow 4-4-2, Casemiro as the most defensive midfielder with Kroos next to him in a passing/supporting role, Modric on the right as something of a wide playmaker, drifting everywhere, and Isco on the left in another inside role, maybe inverted winger in FM terms. Nowadays they play pretty much a 4-3-1-2 with Isco being the attacking midfielder, however he moves out wide to both wings so regularly and rarely occupies the central pocket that the role is impossible to replicate in FM, although you could try to use alternatives with similar(ish) characteristics.

For the narrow 4-4-2 I'd go with something like Ronaldo as an AF or poacher (he is pretty much a poacher nowadays, his off the ball movement is amazing and that's how he scores the vast majority of his goals, and he does not dribble past players that much), Benzema as DLF, and midfield of Isco on the left as IW/A, Kroos DLP/S, Casemiro as CM/D, and how they played Mordic was probably closest to having him in the MCR slot rather than MR slot, as a roaming playmaker. You could try him out wide as a WP/A as well. Marcelo as a WB/A (CWB/A forces him to always dribble out wide even though he often cuts inside with the ball, running directly at the defensive line as well) and Carvajal as FB/A as he often supports attacks as well.

For the 4-3-1-2 I would just move Isco to the AMC slot and possibly use him as an AP/A (as playmaker roles move around more, especially towards the ball than roles with similar PIs that aren't playmakers) with move into channels and roam from position. The rest pretty much the same as above.

Archived