Player Transfer problem

So my board just decided to accept an offer for one of my players, after I had steadfastly refused to sell the player.  I had done everything in my power to prevent the transfer, setting his asking price astronomically high for instance.  The player wasn't complaining, his agent wasn't complaining.  Whatever.  I get that this action is probably something that happens relatively often.  That's fine.

Edit:  Another thing, it was done with no warning at all.  Just a nice little email "Oh, we sold the player" and another that said "Oh, by the way, the transfer window is now CLOSED"

Edit 2:  And now I have no HGC players.  Plenty of HGN, but no HGC, so I am now out of complaince with the league.  Infuriating.

Here's what isn't fine:  I have absolutely no recourse in game.

There is no option to discuss it with the board, to try to convince them not to sell the player.  There is no option to put a clause in my contract that gives me final authority on all transfers.  There is no option to go tell the board that selling the player may mean they will lose their manager.  Surely if the board sells a player out from under a manager, there would be some discussion.  At the very least.  But nope!  Nothing!  No options at all.

Realism is fine.  What makes me just want to rage quit is that I have no options at all to deal with the situation either before, during or after the event.

3 hours ago, Banditman said:

So my board just decided to accept an offer for one of my players, after I had steadfastly refused to sell the player.  I had done everything in my power to prevent the transfer, setting his asking price astronomically high for instance.  The player wasn't complaining, his agent wasn't complaining.  Whatever.  I get that this action is probably something that happens relatively often.  That's fine.

Edit:  Another thing, it was done with no warning at all.  Just a nice little email "Oh, we sold the player" and another that said "Oh, by the way, the transfer window is now CLOSED"

Edit 2:  And now I have no HGC players.  Plenty of HGN, but no HGC, so I am now out of complaince with the league.  Infuriating.

Here's what isn't fine:  I have absolutely no recourse in game.

There is no option to discuss it with the board, to try to convince them not to sell the player.  There is no option to put a clause in my contract that gives me final authority on all transfers.  There is no option to go tell the board that selling the player may mean they will lose their manager.  Surely if the board sells a player out from under a manager, there would be some discussion.  At the very least.  But nope!  Nothing!  No options at all.

Realism is fine.  What makes me just want to rage quit is that I have no options at all to deal with the situation either before, during or after the event.

So you only had one in the first place? Poor planning i'd say 

No, it actually wasn't.  We're a newly promoted team, and never had this rule to deal with before.  My youth academy is crap.  This guy happened to be the one in a million that was incredibly talented.  I don't have the budget to have a bunch of half star losers knocking around.

And also irrelevant.  Any board who are thinking of selling a player should consider the entire situation.  "Oh, he's the one we need to keep us in league compliance!  We probably ought not sell him."

It's just a poor, poor design.  I am not against having this mechanic in the game, my problem is that it's poorly implemented without checks and balances that would exist should the mechanic be in play "in the real world".

18 minutes ago, Banditman said:

No, it actually wasn't.  We're a newly promoted team, and never had this rule to deal with before.  My youth academy is crap.  This guy happened to be the one in a million that was incredibly talented.  I don't have the budget to have a bunch of half star losers knocking around.

And also irrelevant.  Any board who are thinking of selling a player should consider the entire situation.  "Oh, he's the one we need to keep us in league compliance!  We probably ought not sell him."

It's just a poor, poor design.  I am not against having this mechanic in the game, my problem is that it's poorly implemented without checks and balances that would exist should the mechanic be in play "in the real world".

I feel your pain, after bringing the next Harry Kane though my youth academy and into my first team offers came thick and fast all rejected instantly until man city turned up and my board were all to happy to sell him on my behalf. I think something like you suggested would be good adding a ‘no sell clause without your consent’ into the contracts makes your contract dicustions a bit more interesting instead of wage and length of contract. 

Frankly, that's how football works pretty much everywhere except, maybe, in the few Top Clubs where a world-class manager can have a say in the transfers decisions.

In plenty of nations, the "manager" is actually more of a head coach who may make requests and suggestions, but if the board/owner has decided to sell Striker #1 or to sign Winger #5 (despite the coach having asked for a CB instead), there's nothing he can do.

If anything, I wish FM was more like that, allowing us much less God-like power. Basically the board is there only to give us vague feedback about our job and to set the budgets. But we are more or less given free reins in terms of transfers.

5 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Frankly, that's how football works pretty much everywhere except, maybe, in the few Top Clubs where a world-class manager can have a say in the transfers decisions.

In plenty of nations, the "manager" is actually more of a head coach who may make requests and suggestions, but if the board/owner has decided to sell Striker #1 or to sign Winger #5 (despite the coach having asked for a CB instead), there's nothing he can do.

If anything, I wish FM was more like that, allowing us much less God-like power. Basically the board is there only to give us vague feedback about our job and to set the budgets. But we are more or less given free reins in terms of transfers.

Think it was FM06 or 07 when I was managing Newcastle. I remember keeping my transfer budget and saving it for later. Then a couple of days before the window shut, the chairman Freddy Sheppard went and bought some Chelsea LB (Bosswinga?) for £16 million and some other player. Spent all the budget he did on players I didn't need/want.

20 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Missing the point.  I don't disagree with you, this is probably how it works "IRL".  I get that.

Football Manager however is not real life.  We are "responsible" in game for things like the budget and transfers.  Thus, there shouldn't be a random element that we have no control nor recourse for that crops up like this.  We need some FM specific ways to deal with this mechanic, but we have none.  That's the real pisser.  Absolutely nothing meaningful we can ever say or do about it either before, during or after.

5 minuti fa, Banditman ha scritto:

Missing the point.  I don't disagree with you, this is probably how it works "IRL".  I get that.

Football Manager however is not real life.  We are "responsible" in game for things like the budget and transfers.  Thus, there shouldn't be a random element that we have no control nor recourse for that crops up like this.  We need some FM specific ways to deal with this mechanic, but we have none.  That's the real pisser.  Absolutely nothing meaningful we can ever say or do about it either before, during or after.

I see your point, and I agree that we'd at least have a chance to fight against that (wasn't there a "Give an ultimatum" button somewhere during board interaction on serious issues?).

Still, depending on the owner's attributes, a certain level of interference and of autonomy HAS to be there, otherwise what's even the point of having an active-ish board in the game?

FM is already way too much of a Football God game, where the manager can run the club as if it's his own private playground with little or no scrutiny, as long as the results are adequate. There's no good reason for the chairman/owner to sit idly while you keep on refusing fair offers for a player, so after a while, (and again depending on the chairman's personality and traits) it's not so unfair that he'd step in and accept the offer.
Moreso at a smaller club that may need that sweet money...

Here's the thing tho . . . if you feel FM is cedes too much control to the "manager" . . . and in terms of a comparison to RL you're probably spot on . . . however . . . if what you want is less control, you can have it!

Hire a Director of Football and cede all those powers you think are too much to him.  You've now taken the power out of your hands.

Archived