FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

After getting a little disappointed (to say the least) with my strikers not scoring very much i decided to play Ronaldo up there. One word - Unstoppable. I have him set to target man, run onto ball and he scores every game, bar the odd shocker. And against the bigger teams who try attacking he just tears them apart with his dribbling/pace.

Anyone else tried him up top?

P.S Rooney/Tevez/Berbatov etc still play too, they just play behind him in a 4-3-2-1. Cant get much out of Rooney but Berbatov gets a fair few assists even tho he isnt natural in the role he's playing.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after 1 season.. my strikers are all not scoring very well....Rooney has like 19 in 40 games. Ronaldo has 2 in 28(6) games, he is very injury prone in this game. Apparently, Vidic scored 11 for me in 43 outings, same as Owen with 11 in 33(6) outings.

Keirrison is like my most horrible signing after Saivet. Both scoring 0 goals. and my players have average ratings of <7.

I would only get Asenjo and have Ben Foster as backup.

I've done that my 2nd season and is a big mistake!!!

What you need is experience in goal i suggest Bogdan Lobont he costs about £4-6 million and is 31 when the game starts bless in Romania and an excellent keeper!!

If not i'd keep VDS as back up to Asenjo or even Ustari!!

Hey guys,

I'm looking to bring in a new defensive midfielder and i've narrowed my choices down to these two, both similar ages and price ranges.

Who do you guys think would be better? Info on past experiences with the two, would be welcome

- Veloso, Is class, a beast.

- Diarra, Good player.

Veloso gets my shout for a DM. :thup:

- Veloso, Is class, a beast.

- Diarra, Good player.

Veloso gets my shout for a DM. :thup:

Or if you can, sign both, as I did. Diarra turns into a world-class midfielder after a year or two and absolutely dominates the midfield!

wow those are mega extreme tactics. Surprised you don't loose with that.

I've not lost in the league since the 18th October 2008. I've just finished my 3rd season in charge - 2 whole seasons undefeated in the League!

Or if you can, sign both, as I did. Diarra turns into a world-class midfielder after a year or two and absolutely dominates the midfield!

I have them both in my team and Diarra currently outpeforms Veloso. Could be a language issue tho. Dont think you will go far wrong with either tbh.

As for Berbatov i usually play him as a targetman into feet, FWR mixed or sometimes rarely. He is a good passer so i want him to have plenty of the ball, but then keep up with play to finish off moves with his high composure/finishing. FWR often doesnt seem to suit him neither does a free role.

In my game i play him as an AMC believe it or not (i play one up top and that is Ronaldo, unstoppable) and he plays pretty well there, fair few assists and chips in with the odd goal.

Must have got you mixed up with xx11 I think.

Evon: Who's the tw*t - Neville or VDS? Looks like a pinpoint cross to me!

And this thread has been a load of ******** with those recent posts. 17-0 v Liverpool? Get a grip.

Van Der Sar. He actually ran all the way out of his box to get the ball and actually had to turn towards the goal to boot it there. I just don't understand why you would run all that way and then make a 180 degree turn and boot it at your own goal, I really don't.

Van Der Sar. He actually ran all the way out of his box to get the ball and actually had to turn towards the goal to boot it there. I just don't understand why you would run all that way and then make a 180 degree turn and boot it at your own goal, I really don't.

Maybe he took a bung from (don't suppose I'm allowed to say names!)

Haha, i've made 64million in the first season with the Sales of Fletcher for £30million and Tevez for another £30million coupled with Darron Gibson for £3.5million and some odd deals here and there, question is. Who do i sign? Want to sign Silva, Aguero and Richards. But don't think i should lol. Could also be seeing Anderson leave for £30million. :D

Well, just completed my first season in charge at Old Trafford. Struggled for a while till I settled on my tactics and the side got used to them.

By that point though, Arsenal were miles ahead at the top of the league - they had it won by xmas really.

I decided to focus my purchasing on toung players and so in the first transfer window (July/August) I signed the following:

Fausto Rossi - Juve £2.8m

John Fleck - Rangers £4.2m

Jose Baxter - Everton £3.8m

Jack Rodwell - Everton £4.5m

John Bostock - Spurs £3m

Sergio Asenjo - Valladolid £7.75m

Mario Balotelli - Inter £27.5m!

Davide Santon - Inter £1.6m

Albin Ekdal - Juve £4.7m

Nathan Delfounesco - Villa £2.4m

Out went:

Darren Fletcher - Citeh £20m

Thomas Kuzscak - Citeh £3.3m

In January I brought in Zuculini from Racing Club in Argentina for £825k and he went straight into the reserves to develop for 6 months, he'll play in some of the pre-season friendlies.

So, with the exception of Balotelli, all my summer signings were put into the U18s / Reserves and/or loaned out to Championship or League 1 sides.

Balotelli played a big part for me starting 26 games, coming off the bench 23 times and scoring 13 goals despite playing mostly as a winger. He looks like a cracking buy even for the price.

My team for the most part was:

GK - VdS / Foster (took over for the second half of the season)

RB - Neville / Brown

LB - Evra

CB - Rio

CB - Vidic

RW - Ronaldo

LW - Nani

CMd - Hargreaves / Carrick

CMa - Anderson / Scholes

FCd - Rooney / Tevez

FCa - Berbatov

Competitions:

Community Shield - Won Vs Pompey

European Super Cup - Won Vs Zenit

League Cup - played my kids and got knocked out by Arsenal (playnig a first team) 1-0

FA Cup - Won Vs Chelsea AET

ECL - Lost on penalties in the final Vs Barca - Crushing!

Premiership - 3rd Place behind Arsenal and Everton (!)

Like many, I struggled with getting my strikers to score goals. Late in the season I slightly altered my training for strikers, increasing the Shooting training to the maximum. Time will tell whether that has an effect.

So far in the summer I have brought in:

Ignacio Camacho - At Madrid £18.75m (min fee release clause)

Eduardo - Botofogo £11m

Sergio Gonzalez - Valencia £3m

And sold:

John O'Shea - Sunderland £10m

Manucho - PSV £4.8

Park - Sampdoria £10m

Lee Martin £1.6m

Along with Zieler and Chester for less than a million combined

Just been made favourites for the Premiership by the bookmakers, not sure why considering how far behind Arsenal we were last season.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes into the second season.

Or you could have got him on loan for free like me. Anyway...

End of Transfer Window update

Transfers In:

Saivet £2.5m

Di Maria £6.5m

Aquino £950k

Mauricio Free

Borges £275k - some unknown player who I found by looking at the Anderlecht's transfers screen :cool:

Fleck £3m

Veloso £11.25m

Balotelli Loan

Miguel Torres £2m

Cardozo Loan

Ramires £8.25m

Makaridze £250k

Transfers Out:

Fletcher £20m +10% sell on fee

Kuszczak £7.5m

PJS £9m

Hargreaves £17.5m

It's been a decent start with a 2-1 win against Pompey, a 1-0 win against Boro, a 3-0 win against Everton, a win against Zenit and a 2-0 win against Wigan. My results have got better as I got to grips with the game. I only brought in Balotelli, Torres and Cardozo as short-term backup. Good thing too as Nani got injured for three months right after and Tevez went out for a month. Tevez was actually my right winger for a while too. And Nani was my best player in pre-season too :( He's bloody good on this game you know. Di Maria has been solid if not spectacular which is why I've reintroduced Giggs into the first team and Veloso has probably been my best player bar Berbatov. Berbatov purely for his hattrick :) I was getting worried about my strikers too. Rooney only has the one goal. But as long as I win I don't mind.

Some good signings there Evon but you sold Hargreaves :(

Edit:

mufcchampmanfan Marcelo was transfer listed in the demo so could be picked up for cheap but that has been fixed on the full game to reflect RL so he will cost more.

He's sometimes transfer listed on the full version as well.

Finally finished 1st season and my god what a close one

League Cup

Lost 3rd round Birmingham (over confident with youth and fringe players so lesson learnt )

Fa Cup

Beat Man City and Blackburn on route to semis but lost to spurs, had more chances than i know what but one of those matches where it was'nt going in and lost 1-0. Not happy but hey

League

Table :- seasontablerd8.th.jpgthpix.gif

It went down to the final game of the season. I was 2 pts clear of Chelsea but went 1 down after 6 mins to pompey as Chelsea went 1 up, managed to scrap a 2-1 win same as chelsea so won the league

Champions League

Beat Real Madrid 2-1 more by luck than anything as they dominated me.

Previous rounds put Arsenal out on away goals (again lucky on that one) and put Liverpool out as well in semis.

Squad

eosstatsuf8.th.jpgthpix.gif

Only bought in Velsco & Kross but pleased with both.

Team done well overall but really need to build for next season as did ride my luck on several occasions.

Hoping to cash on afew players like others have in this post, most im after are not that expensive so hopefully i can sell big buy cheap and compensate for loan payments

Forgot to add retrained Rooney to AMC and Ronaldo to ST

End of first season with United - a work in progress!

Decided to disable transfers in the first window, so no action there...basically the season came down to struggling to find a tactic that worked. Uploaded my tactic from FM08 - struggled. Played with a 4-1-2-2-1 for a while, with a DM, two central midfielders, two wide attacking wingers and a lone striker - worked for a while, then struggled when injuries cleared up and I had 3 strikers who all wanted to play!

With about 10 games left I started a new tactic - 442 diamond attacking, with tweaked individual settings - started to gel. More importantly, strikers started scoring!

Didn't buy anyone in January either, so my team was as the beginning...

VDS/Foster

Brown/Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra/Fabio

Hargreaves

Ronaldo Nani

Anderson

Berbatov, Rooney/Tevez

Ended up 3rd in the league, 7 points behind the Gunners (that hurt)

Humbled in the FA Cup final by the Gunners (that hurt even more)

Quarters of the European Cup (knocked out by Sporting - all my 3 strikers injured - gutted)

Won the league cup, Super Cup, World Cup and Community Shield.

End of the season - changes are being made. Transfer budget set at £34mil, so I swooped for Van Der Vaart (£10mil) and Rossi (£11). Fletcher was offloaded to Inter for £10mil, and I've been fending off rampant interest for Nani from Arsenal, Real and Barca - seeing as he was my 2nd best player last season, they'll be lucky. Sacked Warren Joyce and hired a new shooting coach in his place to try and kick Berba, Rooney and Tevez up the backside. Rafael and Fabio grew in stature superbly as the season went on - this being without changing their settings in the editor either - hoping for big things from them both in the new season!

So far, a 3-0 victory over Bury and a 7-1 demolishing of DC United in the first pre-season friendlies - Rossi has grabbed a couple, so has Berba - Rooney has just returned from a 5 month lay-off...things are (hopefully) looking up!

Wondering if you lot playing as Man Utd could help me out. Tevez is one of my favourite players in real life and being as I am playing FM as my favourite team Sunderland I have always wanted to sign him, he is unhappy at Man Utd on my game and can be bought for £18 million he would be interested in a move to Sunderland as I declared an interest in him. My question is, is he worth £18 million? I dont care if there are better options out there for less money I just want to know if he is a good player. Thanks in advance.

Wondering if you lot playing as Man Utd could help me out. Tevez is one of my favourite players in real life and being as I am playing FM as my favourite team Sunderland I have always wanted to sign him, he is unhappy at Man Utd on my game and can be bought for £18 million he would be interested in a move to Sunderland as I declared an interest in him. My question is, is he worth £18 million? I dont care if there are better options out there for less money I just want to know if he is a good player. Thanks in advance.

Hes got 11 goals and 4 assists for me in 19 games

I got to try and make a tough decision now. I can purchase messi for £45million (buyout) and he interested in joining the club. Be great to have his quality in the side but with Ronaldo and Nani being a got team and Vela also playing the wings most the time I just dont know. Only thing i can think of doing is trying to sell berbatov or Rooney (berbatov i think as it rooney afteral). Doing this will free the forward spot for vela to play alongside rossi.

Hoping that Barcelona will sign tevez, they got a 30million quid option on the loan that they took tevez on in january, so with a bit of luck he be out the door as just couldnt fit him in.

Has anybody sold Ronaldo? Just been offered over £60m from Real Madrid in Jan 2009 window, along with £22m offer from Chelsea for Anderson & £25m for Nani from Inter, seriously tempted to cash in, but who should i replace with???............

Don't accept any mate, no one better on the right than Ronaldo, as for Anderson he is world class and 22 million isn't enough. Nani one is debateable, as for me he has been fantastic but I've been offered more than 25 mil. So If you are contemplating selling him ask for me you can quite easily get 30 mil up front.

Don't accept any mate, no one better on the right than Ronaldo, as for Anderson he is world class and 22 million isn't enough. Nani one is debateable, as for me he has been fantastic but I've been offered more than 25 mil. So If you are contemplating selling him ask for me you can quite easily get 30 mil up front.

And up front Ronnie is freakin unstoppable.

I got to try and make a tough decision now. I can purchase messi for £45million (buyout) and he interested in joining the club. Be great to have his quality in the side but with Ronaldo and Nani being a got team and Vela also playing the wings most the time I just dont know. Only thing i can think of doing is trying to sell berbatov or Rooney (berbatov i think as it rooney afteral). Doing this will free the forward spot for vela to play alongside rossi.

Hoping that Barcelona will sign tevez, they got a 30million quid option on the loan that they took tevez on in january, so with a bit of luck he be out the door as just couldnt fit him in.

You don't need Messi and there's no point forking out any amount if you have players in the same position playing well. Nani has never played that well for me so I'd sell but why buy someone who you only think should play well and be great when you already have people who you know play well for you.

Anyone signed Tosic yet?

I bought Asenjo and he is top quality. I still give VDS the lions share of the action but asenjo is slowly breaking into the first team spot. I intend to offload Kuszczak (who is currently on loan) and keep Foster as backup.

Having a tough first season, letting a lot of late equalizers in am not scoring nearly enough. Nearly half way through, I will update then.

What are the best Defenders to sign at the start of the game on Man Utd's limited budget? Assistant tells me I need potentially another two defenders to tie-up a weak area. Am already looking to offload O'Shea and Brown to raise some funds and gullible City seem to want to pay big bucks for them. So who are the players to go for? I can rule out Marcelo as he isn't listed in my game and has a £150million release clause.

Just played my 18th game in my first season and another disappointing draw. 2-2 away to boro and before that a 2-2 draw at home to Fulham. Both games had me in the lead only for the oposition to equalize instantly.

The league is really close with just 8 pts between me 6th place :( and Arsenal in first. I have a game in hand but at this rate it will only be a one point gain.

Berbatov has been poor with just 5 goals from 17 appearances. Rooney has 18 from 27.

I am finding VDS is making some foolish mistakes and it is becoming more and more likely that I will be giving him the boot.

I decided that i would purchase messi in the end, though nani, vela and ronaldo are so good for me. Decision was made by managing to get £44.5m for Tevez, i thought it was 33.5m that the loan deal had for the buy fee (as there a 35m buyout clause in contract) but i was mistaken. And luckily barcelona came in with an offer matching that in the loan deal :D

Just need to shift berbatov now :D

Rio is rubbish on my game, always making mistakes so givin Jonny Evans a go and he's doin well. Berba and Rooney are lookin like they are going to get sold.....any ideas who i should replace them buy? Is Foster good enough to use as 1st team keeper in 2nd season?

Archived