FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

After 2 seasons, I think it is has been confirmed (in my eyes anyway) that the best formation United should play under is 4-4-2. First season I used the increasingly popular formations of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-2-1 and they just didnt click. Retrained Ronaldo as an AMC and Rooney as an AML in order to accomodate all of the attacking threats in one line-up.

Just didnt click; Carrick didnt seem comfortable with just the holding midfielder role, Anderson alongside of him also was underpar. The team was struggling to find goals (I wasnt conceding many however) and most of my winning scorelines were 1-0. In my first season I finished 2nd in Prem, Semi-Final of CL and knocked out of 6th round in both FA and Carling Cup.

In my second season however I decided for some major changes. Sold Berbatov back to Spurs for 21.5 million and brought in Toulalan. Sold Fletcher for 16 million and brought in Cardozo.

With the 4-4-2, Ronaldo and Nani on the wings, Anderson and Toulalan in the middle and Rooney and Cardozo up front, for the first 33 games of the season we went unbeaten in Prem, reached last 16 of CL easily and now in Carling Cup semi-final. I am stayed reasonably injury free. Carrick, Tevez, Tosic etc. all have done their bit when needed. Fingers crossed for rest of the season!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what is the best tactics so far?

i used Gknapp and Adiee's...

there is no stability with either tactics, i can win against arsenal and loose to leeds, and next draw with fulham...

not scoring strikers are also pain in the b..tt

getting too many shots per game(dont know how keepers survive) 18-25 per game on target..and only 1-2 goals..

does anyone have a solution/comments about that?

Tugs training is still the best..and Tumma graphics are amazing...

Thanks in advance

i use lorenzo's 45 minute wonder tactics! send me ur e-mail address in a pm and i will send u it if u like?

Ok, so I'm half way through my second season with United so I guess I should post here instead of just reading :p

Summer before the first season I did quite a few transfers, or so I had thought before season two. Lets just say the scouts I have signed are quite amazing and very fast with their finds.

Transfers Out

Manucho - Loan £850k loan fee

Darren Fletcher - Man City - £20m

Park Ji-Sung - Lyon - £6m

Carlos Tevez - Real Madrid - £16m + Gonzalo Higuain

Rafael - Watford - loan

Fabio - Charlton - loan

Tomasz Kuszczak - Antwerp - loan

Antonio Bryan - Northampton - loan

David Gray - MK Dons - loan

Lee Martin - Leeds - loan

Jimmy Derbyshire - Free Transfer release - @ end season 1

Transfers In

Franco Zuculini - Racing - £1.6m (then loaned to Hearts)

Jose Fernando - Recreativo - £1.1m

Gonzalo Higuain - Real Madrid - P/ex

Herni Saviet - Bordeaux - £5.5m (then loaned to Antwerp)

Ariel Borysiuk - Legia - £2.8m (then loaned to Antwerp)

Willi Evseev - Hannover - £2.8m

Miguel Veloso - Sporting - £11.5m

Gai Assulin - Barcelona - £2.9m (then loaned to Antwerp)

Mario Balotelli - Inter - £10.25m

Levan Kenia - Shalke - £875k (then loaned to Hearts)

Davide Santon - Inter - £2.2m (then loaned to Hearts)

The season started off relatively well. We went 29 unbeaten in all competitions, including wins in the Community Shield, Super Cup and group stage of the Champions League. The real problem was we were leaving with a draw more than wins. We spent pretty much the entire year leaving with 1 point here and 1 point there. We drew Barcelona in the knockout round and though lost the first leg away 2-4, we came back to Old Trafford and won 3-1 advancing on away goals. It wasn't particularly joyful as we were next paired against Inter and went down 3-1 aggregate with both sides notching home field wins. We finished the regular season with 8 unbeaten, including 4 straight wins but it wasn't enough. Some how, some way NEWCASTLE, of ALL teams, won the league! We finished second, going 20-14-4 for 74 pts but Newcastle somehow managed 24-5-9 for 77 pts. The odd Big 4 team out of the CL was Chelsea, so it made the second place a little easier to swallow. Man City, by the way, after spending £103m finished 8th :)

Season 2.......

Transfers Out

Tom Heaton - Free

Gary Neville - Free, eventually signed but Middlesbourgh

Ryan Giggs - Free

Edwin Van Der Sar - Free

Sam Hewson - Free - Swansea

Owen Hargreaves - Sevilla - £13m

Tomasz Kuszczak - Barcelona - £5m

Manucho - Hull - £5m

John O'Shea - Aston Villa - £7.5

Dimitar Berbatov - Roma - £19m (had £30m from Inter but he signed with Roma :()

Wes Brown - Udinese - £7.75m

Levan Kenia - loan - Hearts

Jose Fernando - loan - Altrincham

Willi Evseev - loan - Ipswich

Richard Eckersley - loan - MK Dons

Daniel Drinkwater - loan - Doncaster

James Chester - loan - Norwich

Rafael - loan - Doncaster

Transfers In

This year I spent mostly on the youth players, mostly regens, that my amazing scouts found and recommended. They're great :)

Cristian Zapata - Udinese - £20m

Sebastian Giovinco - Juventus - £1.4

Domenico Criscito - Juventus - £9.5m

Oscar - Sao Paulo - £3m

Gabriele Paonessa - Bologna - Free

Tamas Kadar - Newcastle - £3m

Albin Ekdal - Juventus - £4.4m

Daniel Opare - Real Madrid - £110k

Gabriel Perez Tariffa - Argentinos - £1m

Ruben Ramos - Free

Benito Nicolas Viola - Reggina - £2.1m

Alessandro Tuia - Lazio - £1.1m

Miguel Angel Navas - Espanyol - Free

Aythami Arias - Barcelona - £2.3m

Ryan Sly - Stoke - £350k

Niklas Rudwaleit - Basel - £170k

Marco Di Mauro - Atalanta - £1.3m

Thiago - Santos - £2.2m

Franco Pepe - Cisco - £4k

Ronnie Welch - Middlesbrough - £2.6

Gianluca Battisti - Cittadella - £1.2m

Luigi Corti - Bologna - £1.2m

Paddy McFarland - Swindon - £325k

Dario Delgado - Villarreal - £75k

Adem Ljajic - Partizan - £1.9m

Vincenzo Manzini - Empoli - £1.1m

Eyal Golasa - M. Haifa - £400k

Adrian Torres - Villarreal - £160k

Sercan Kahya - Trabzonspor - £3m

Pascal Akkermans - Willem II - Free

Jose Manuel - Valladolid - £550k

Oscar Alonso Bonilla - Alves - £100k

Lots of great youth found by my scouts, hopefully I'll be able to develope them to potential! Currently I'm out of the League Cup, into the 4th round of the FA Cup against Liverpool, Celic coming up in the CL Knockout Round; we should be able to advance in that tie. The Premiership is a tight one among the Big 4. Liverpool are on top with 50 points through 22 games. We're in 4th with 44 points through 21 games. Chelsea is in 2nd, a point back with a game in hand and Arsenal are 3rd on 48 through 22 games. We've hit a bit of a rough patch losing Ronaldo for a month and Rooney for 2. Hopefully we'll be able to pull out of the rut we're in, winless since they went injured 2 matches ago.

I guess that's all for now. Maybe later I'll post some screens of the amazing youth players we have. Two of the regens could start right now but are coming off the bench... at ages 16 & 17!

u got raped for Berba and Hargreaves, could have got alot more! if they agree to sign with someone who offers alot less jus cancel the transfer

Started a new season with United, coming to the end of October, this is how I'm faring so far.

P 13 W 11 D 1 L 1

The lost and drawn games were against Zenit in the Super Cup and CFR Cluj away. Other than those 2 blips my form, and away form specifically has been fantastic. I've played 7 games in the league (2 in hand over everyone else), and only 2 of those 7 games have been at home. Also my next game is away to West Ham. 3 away games in a row (2 league and 1 Champions League) is quite frustrating but in the end it'll all even itself out. Like I said it's lucky my away form has been so good. The past 3 away games were:

Spurs 1 - 2 Man Utd

M'boro 1 - 4 Man Utd

Marseille 1 - 4 Man Utd

I'd previously beaten Everton 2-0 and Werder Bremen 6-1 at home before those results so I think they've managed to caught a wave and it's sailing them through games at the moment. I'm currently 2nd in the league behind Liverpool, 4 points behind but I have 2 games in hand. Their record is P 9 W 8 D 1 L 0 where as mine is 7 wins out of 7.

Berbatov and Rooney are on fire for me at the moment (touch wood) In my past save they weren't great and were struggling to hit the back of the net, but both have scored atleast 1 in the past 5 games so Tevez is warming the bench and looks like he will be for the forseeable future.

I think my good run of form has come around too because I put Carrick in the side. I was switching between Diarra and Anderson partnering Veloso and was struggling and labouring away against teams. Since Carrick has been in though we look brutal.

Transfers IN:

Miguel Veloso - 11 million

Lassana Diarra - 11.5 million

Angel Di Maria - 5.75 million

Sebastien Giovinco - 6.75 million

OUT:

Darren Fletcher - 40 million to Man City

Veloso will be the mainstay of my midfield for the next 10 years. I don't care what regen comes along, you won't get a better all-rounder than this guy.

Diarra hasn't been very good, and at the price I paid quite expensive, but he's been subbed alot and brought on alot too, so would be unfair to be too harsh on him without a long run in the team.

Maria is top class. I'm rotating him and Giovinvo, both give lots of pace and direct running. He isn't getting as many assists and goals as he was in my last save, but I brought him in in January last time so maybe he needs time to find his feet.

Giovinco is full of pace and can run with the ball all day and done very well for me on the left so far. Looks a bit uncomfortable when played upfront, but he's only 21. Out for the next 2 weeks though.

Davide Santon I've agreed a fee with Inter for 3.3 million and he's coming in Janauary. Can play anywhere on the right so that's a bonus...looks like he'll be a very good player.

I'll update more as I go along.

As for tutoring, I think it's to do with how you have them tutored. You can have:

- "Senior player would be a good role model": Should improve a youngster's mental stats

- "Youngster can learn from senior player": Think that makes a youngster learn the senior player's PPMs

And there's another option that I can't remember.

I am at the business end of the season almost. In FA Cup semi, Champs League Quarter Final, 1st in Prem, out of League Cup and won the World Club Championship!

all the boys are playing really well at the moment which is a selection dilema which I am happy to have! Arsenal also beatin Chelsea in real life and Utd beat City today! Good day maybe? I HOPE SO :D

I am in need of a winger. I have made a bid fro robinho which has been rejected and now he is unhappy. They have asked for 44 mill what should do? Try and unsettle him? keep on negotiating or just buy him at that price. I think he is worth a lot of money but what go you think?

Thanks

I've just sent a group of players off to Antwerp.

Then I checked Antwerp's fixture list, and there's nothing (I haven't got the Belgian leagues selected as viewable/playable). Have I sent them off just to have a nice holiday in Belgium, or will they actually play some games over there?

I've just sent a group of players off to Antwerp.

Then I checked Antwerp's fixture list, and there's nothing (I haven't got the Belgian leagues selected as viewable/playable). Have I sent them off just to have a nice holiday in Belgium, or will they actually play some games over there?

they will play games over there defo! jus like if u sent them to scotland they would play games when u haven't set the scottish league as playable

Oh thank god, haha!

I thought I was going to have to drag them all back for a minute. I've basically given Antwerp enough players to create their own mini-squad.

i would only reccommend sending players to antwerp to gain a work permit! they wont become great players by going on loan to antwerp as belgian football isn't great

i would only reccommend sending players to antwerp to gain a work permit! they wont become great players by going on loan to antwerp as belgian football isn't great

Hmm... I've only got Aberdeen as the other club I could send them out to. Some have been sent off over there as well, but my choices aren't that fantastic.

How do you get Berbatov to start contributing the match results? Played 12 league games now and he's yet to score a goal. He only rates about 6 at the end of each match. Been using some on the Knap 442 tactics and just not seeing any results from Berbatov.

he was crap for me in the 1st half of the season as well and i even dropped him for a few weeks! in the 2nd half of the season he has been awesome! probably jus becuz he is settling in like a new player

u got raped for Berba and Hargreaves, could have got alot more! if they agree to sign with someone who offers alot less jus cancel the transfer

Yea, I wasn't super happy about the Berbatov deal but I just wanted him gone. He wasn't fitting in and wasn't scoring so I just bit the bullet and let him go. Hargreaves I honestly didn't even care much about going. Veloso was already easily getting in the dmc/holding mc position for me over him & Carrick so I just wanted him gone and out of England.

Yea, I wasn't super happy about the Berbatov deal but I just wanted him gone. He wasn't fitting in and wasn't scoring so I just bit the bullet and let him go. Hargreaves I honestly didn't even care much about going. Veloso was already easily getting in the dmc/holding mc position for me over him & Carrick so I just wanted him gone and out of England.

i sold Hargreaves for not far off £30m (i think). Berba is class for me in the 2nd half of the season but was poor at the start........u shud have kept hold of him honestly

I negotiated and got him for 35 mill :) dont no where his best position is?

Good price for him. I'd play him on the wing or at AMC tbh. What season are you in btw?

How do you get Berbatov to start contributing the match results? Played 12 league games now and he's yet to score a goal. He only rates about 6 at the end of each match. Been using some on the Knap 442 tactics and just not seeing any results from Berbatov.

He's just bagged 2 goals for me on his debut. Are you using him as a TM?

Good price for him. I'd play him on the wing or at AMC tbh. What season are you in btw?

I don't know what to do with him really, i have nani that did amazing last season. I have just started the second season coming 2nd in th prem! was bloody 12 points clear then a total dip in form put me 5 points behind arsenal. Still won the champ league though :D

Ok help me with this dilemma - was playing Hull away was 0-0 when McShane got set off for them in the 18th minute, so I went to a 4-4-2 attacking based on wwfan's TT&F tactics and dominated the 1st half - the score? 0-0. This continued for the majority of the second half and decided to throw caution to the wind and go 2-4-4. I continued to dominate as they went 4-5-0 but couldn't score. It finished 0-0 - the stats were Hull 33% possession, 0 shots, United 67% possession, 16 shots 2 on target (TWO) and 1 clear cut chance.

Two weeks later I was away to Stoke and the exact scenario arose again, they go down to 10 men after 24 mins. 1 minute later Tevez bangs one in from the edge of the box and I'm thinking this should really end up 4 or 5-0. BUT, the pattern against Hull continues - I play the whole game in their final 3rd and win 1-0. The stats are 61% possesion in my favour 15 goal attempts, 3 on target with a great big zero on the clear cut chances front, naturally Stoke don't have one goal attempt.

So, what have I been doing wrong on over 2 hours play against 10 man Stoke and Hull to crete a measly one clear cut chance??

If they down to 10 men and you dominating but cant break them down try lowering the tempo and using full width. This will with a bit of luck begin to pull them open a bit more and create space more central. Having people good in the air is helpful if you want to hit crosses in alot, but even if your team passing it centrally after spreading wide it should have pulled a few players out of position leaving the space for passes to be played through.

I'm currently half way through my first season having just won the club world championship 5-0 (ronaldo got a hat trick) but i'm struggling in the league. were currently 5th in the league 12 points behind leaders chelsea. sometimes my team play really well but then end up losing and drawing at home to teams like fulham.

in the transfer window i sold Fletcher for 30m to city and bought:

Diego 27.5m (starting to regret that decision)

Marek Hamsik 16.25m

Ivan Rakitic 13m

does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do to improve my teams performances and any suggestions as to which players i should buy?

Started a new Utd game because i accidently deleted the old one .

Sells :

Fletcher 50m -> Man City

Tevez 30m -> Real Madrid

PJS loan fee 1M with a option to buy at 4.6m -> Hertha BSC

Fabio loan -> Blackpool

Daivd Gray loan -> Grays

Buys :

Sergio Asenjo 7.5m <- Valladolid

Mario Balotelli 11m <- Inter

Henri Saivet 5.75 <- Bordeaux

John Bostock 4.2m <- Spurs

Fausto Rossi 6.85m <- Juventus

Macio Ezio Fossati 5.75m <- Inter

Douglas Costa 3.5m <- Gremio 01.01.09

Gerson 3.7m <- Gremio 01.01.11

Adam Ljajic 4.2m <- Partizan 01.01.10

Won the Community Shield 2-2 after penos vs Porsmouth

And the Euro Super Cup 2-0 thanks to Berba's 2 goals

Just finished second season, finished first in the league :) beat arsenal and chelsea to it on the last day lol, won fa cup and lost in the final of champions league to barcelona :( heres my current squad, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it, £20 mill budget, thanks.

GK- Van der Sar, Asenjo

RWB- Srna, Santon

LWB- Evra, Guardado

CB- Ferdinand, Vidic, Zapata, Sakho

DMC- Palombo, Camacho

MC- Moutinho, Scholes

AMC- Anderson, Giovinco

RW- Ronaldo, Nani

LW- Nani/ Giovinco/ Guardado

FC- Berbatov, Rooney, Balotelli/Giovinco

1st season 10 league games in and the only game ive lost is the charity shield.

playing a 4-1-3-2 so fairly tight but rooney is having a great season, berbatov has done nothing, evra and ronaldo are bossing it.

only bought keirrelson (sp) but hes only bit part so far, the team they have is good enough!!

1st season 10 league games in and the only game ive lost is the charity shield.

playing a 4-1-3-2 so fairly tight but rooney is having a great season, berbatov has done nothing, evra and ronaldo are bossing it.

only bought keirrelson (sp) but hes only bit part so far, the team they have is good enough!!

What instructions have you given Rooney? All three of my strikers are crap and only Ronaldo seems to be able to score.

just started last nite with my beloved manchester united, won all my friendlys 1st game i won 0-8 over sum random team ,and didnt conceed a goal all through pre-season that was impressive,just played Portsmouth in the shield and they were up 2-0 at HT and i blasted them in the talks and i won 2-3.........very good start so far ill keep you all posted,just about to start buying players

hhmm, can purchase Robinho for £15m, not a bad deal really especially considering i only offered him £76k a week in wages when he wanted £110k. He be on half what city paying him currently.

Be helpful backup to my forward line with just the 3 natural forwards (vela, rossi, rooney) but i got campbell/welbeck in reserves still... delayed the transfer to decide as still got time in this january window

What instructions have you given Rooney? All three of my strikers are crap and only Ronaldo seems to be able to score.

mentality - very attacking

creative - 3 above half way

Passing - 4 below middle

Closing - Always - really high gets a lot of tackles on centre backs

Tackling - Hard

forward runs - always

run w/ ball - always

Long Shots - Rarely

through balls - mixed

crossing - rarely

Swap position with the other striker as well.

obviously nothing amazing here but hes put in some good performances but then my whole team has.

I think its more to do with not buying any players so the squad is settled and thats made a lot of chances for rooney.

hope that helps

As for tutoring, I think it's to do with how you have them tutored. You can have:

- "Senior player would be a good role model": Should improve a youngster's mental stats

- "Youngster can learn from senior player": Think that makes a youngster learn the senior player's PPMs

And there's another option that I can't remember.

No I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

Role-model: Learns PPM's, mental stats and personality

Can learn: Learn's PPM's

Copy approach: Mental stats and personality

I almost always do role-model.

And what is it with people and Srna? He's a rubbish full back because he can't mark and you can get tons of better wingers.

Need a cheap experianced winger for a small amount of money :) ronaldo injured for 5 months! park went and so did giggs brought in robinho and have nani but need a back up u-5 mill i say?

Thank you

Have a look at Andrea Gasbarroni. He looks quite good and is cheap.

End of Transfer Window Update - 2008/09 season

Transfers In

Keirisson - £7m - Needed a 4th ST and scouts recommended him.

Clement Grenier - £1.5m rising to £4m - (compensation) - Signed for the future really but has impressed in a couple of outings so far.

Transfers Out

Park Ji Sung - £7.5m - Good price and he wasn't needed tbh.

Will look to sign another winger in the summer.

So my squad looks like this:

12012008184226jf3.th.jpg

Made a good start to the league winning 2 out of 2. Won the CS on penalties after a hard fough draw against Pompey and also won the Super Cup beating Zenit 2-1.

Will Update later.

Last night beat Arsenal 3:0 in League cup final...all goals Ronaldo play him as striker with Roonie...

played knapp tactics

bought sanchez, but he does no good to me...arshavin is on the other hand is in super shape...

diara and veloso are ok, nothing special, same level as hargreaves

hhmm, can purchase Robinho for £15m, not a bad deal really especially considering i only offered him £76k a week in wages when he wanted £110k. He be on half what city paying him currently.

Be helpful backup to my forward line with just the 3 natural forwards (vela, rossi, rooney) but i got campbell/welbeck in reserves still... delayed the transfer to decide as still got time in this january window

It's a great price, but I'd have said you need a striker who'll be good at holding up the ball and good in the air. With Vela and Rossi you've already got people to play off those types of strikers as well as Campbell and Welbeck.
End of Transfer Window Update - 2008/09 season

Transfers In

Keirisson - £7m - Needed a 4th ST and scouts recommended him.

Clement Grenier - £1.5m rising to £4m - (compensation) - Signed for the future really but has impressed in a couple of outings so far.

Transfers Out

Park Ji Sung - £7.5m - Good price and he wasn't needed tbh.

Will look to sign another winger in the summer.

So my squad looks like this:

12012008184226jf3.th.jpg

Made a good start to the league winning 2 out of 2. Won the CS on penalties after a hard fough draw against Pompey and also won the Super Cup beating Zenit 2-1.

Will Update later.

Thought you'd have sold more people than that. Screenshot of Keirrison? Doesn't look great on mine with the stats I can see. Grenier doesn't look too good either but my scout says his potential is good.

Archived