FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Guys - after hours and hours and days of tweaking and testing i believe ive finally managed to nail a tactic to get my team playing the way Utd do in real life. I.E Wingers cutting in, fullbacks overlapping, Rooney/Tevez dropping deep.

Its working really well and scoring a lot of goals so if anyone is interested i will upload it for you to have a play with. Cant say ive quite figured out the defense, its more of a 'score one more than you' tactic so if anyone wants to have a go at solidifying it at the back then go for it.

Anyways, post if you want me to upload it, dont if you, erm, dont.

Good luck all.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he is absolutely fantastic - a must buy. Lost out on him on my network game as he wanted to join Liverscum, gutted :-(

Gutted! I restarted my game after he went to City on about £10000000000 a week. Probably the best player in the game for me in terms of performances. Even though some players have great stats, like Veloso, they're often not as awesome as their numbers suggest.

Guys - after hours and hours and days of tweaking and testing i believe ive finally managed to nail a tactic to get my team playing the way Utd do in real life. I.E Wingers cutting in, fullbacks overlapping, Rooney/Tevez dropping deep.

Its working really well and scoring a lot of goals so if anyone is interested i will upload it for you to have a play with. Cant say ive quite figured out the defense, its more of a 'score one more than you' tactic so if anyone wants to have a go at solidifying it at the back then go for it.

Anyways, post if you want me to upload it, dont if you, erm, dont.

Good luck all.

Count me in, all my tactics seem to be solid defensively, but i can't score! We may have a partnership my friend!

Veloso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Toulalan. In fact Veloso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All defensive midfielders.

Anyway I want opinions on tactics. Because Scholes is doing marginally better now and so are my strikers. But they're incredibly inconsistent, the lot of them. Now I would like to know:

a) What is better, a flat four in midfield, two midfielders and then 2 wingers pushed up, a flat midfield with just the attacking midfielder forward?

b)Is it better to have forward runs for the attacking midfielders and wingers or not?

c)How close are the mentalities of the strikers and attacking midfielder for you?

d)What instructions do you give Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez?

If you could help me out with these that'd be great :thup: I'm struggling with tactics atm so I need help from those doing better than me. I just beat West Brom 2-0 thanks to incredibly lucky goals. Berbatov hasn't scored for at least 6 games and Rooney hadn't scored for more than 7 games before this game.

i play a 4-1-3-2 instead of a flat bank of 4 (Mc not DM + 2 wingers and att.mid)

MC - forward runs rarely. mentality 13

AMC - forward runs mixed- find if you have it oftenthen he may as well be a 3rd striker, this way he seems to always give a passing option and pushes into box when wingers approach a crossing position. Mentality 17

ST- forward runs often - mentality 15 (1st attacking) - cf 14 - passing 7 - closing 16 - rwb mixed - tballs mixed - cross rarely

ST- forward runs often - mentality 18 - cf 13 - passing 7 - rwb oft - ls rare - TBalls mixed - Cross mixed

I dont use a tall striker though and i dont use playmakers/target men

Veloso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Toulalan. In fact Veloso >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All defensive midfielders.

Anyway I want opinions on tactics. Because Scholes is doing marginally better now and so are my strikers. But they're incredibly inconsistent, the lot of them. Now I would like to know:

a) What is better, a flat four in midfield, two midfielders and then 2 wingers pushed up, a flat midfield with just the attacking midfielder forward?

b)Is it better to have forward runs for the attacking midfielders and wingers or not?

c)How close are the mentalities of the strikers and attacking midfielder for you?

d)What instructions do you give Berbatov, Rooney and Tevez?

If you could help me out with these that'd be great :thup: I'm struggling with tactics atm so I need help from those doing better than me. I just beat West Brom 2-0 thanks to incredibly lucky goals. Berbatov hasn't scored for at least 6 games and Rooney hadn't scored for more than 7 games before this game.

It depends on how you want to play and where your team is strong. United are very strong on the wings (Ronaldo, Nani and Giggs along with Park who is not bad while Evra and Neville provide more than adequate support from the full back positions) So assuming that you are going for a 442, i would play with wingers and full backs pushed up against weak teams.

You can adjust your full back forward runs settings against teams you are not confident with...In central midfield...United dont have a real attacking threat (except possibly Scholes and hopefully in future Anderson) so i would use them to support the attack...banging in through balls on the wings or over the defense...

Rooney is a waste...at least for the first two seasons...misses easy chances and always wants to hit long shots...dont know what stage of the season you are..but it took me more than 20 matches for my strikers to show some consistency..though they still managed to miss easy chances...read somewhere that Berbatov will play best if he is given a high creative freedom, and run win ball and forward runs set to often

As promised, for anyone who wishes to have a go with this tactic. Its my own interpretation of the way United play IRL. Ive been tinkering with this for bloody ages so please dont download, try for one game and then tell me its sh*t as i WILL hunt you down and destroy you ;-)

Screenie

unitedwy0.th.jpg

Download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0308c21c16d7de3491b20cc0d07ba4d20c9d59ce0c909851

As i said earlier i havent managed to iron out the defensive frailties (well not without ballsing up the attacking intent anyway) so if anyone manages to do this i will happily order them a Thai bride for Xmas.

Highlights in my game have included 6-4 vs Real Madrid, 5-0 vs Liverscum and 4-3 vs Arsenal. Too many goals at both ends probably, but entertaining at least!

Give it a go, let me know what you think. Or err, dont, c'est la vie.

NB - AS with ALL tactics listen to your assistant, especially pre-match. Annoying but effective. If you dont believe how important this is then save your game and play the same match twice, one with OI and once without - HUUUUGE difference. Good luck all.

Thinking of swapping Michael Carrick for Lassana Diarra on my save? Can get about 20 million for Carrick, 28 and get Diarra, 24 (highest average rating in the league last season) for 17.5 mil. Think it's a decent deal. I'm in August 09 should I do it?

Diarra looks good, but has some good defensive stats and some good attacking stats, but not all there unlike Veloso.

:thup: Thanks for the replies. So I gather that Mixed FWRs is best for AMC. I'm off to tweak my tactics and see where it gets me!
I'd say often FWRs is best for an AMC, whether that's in a 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-1-2 or whatever. They need to be an 'attacking' player and to get forward enough.
I've just found an australian regen! he's quite old and my scouts say he wont improve but he still looks pretty good, Campbell isn't doing much for be so at the end of the season I'll have to sell him, recon he's a good 4th striker?

Not really, especially if he won't improve. You can easily do better.

Hey Ive just sold tevez for 40mill after buying aguero and him not wantuing to stay here, what i want to know iss should i buy vela for 30mill?

Im in the 1st season just after the 1st transfer window

edit: If no who should i buy with 30mill or so?

What's wrong with Michael Owen, ML?

He's great value for money for only a few million unless you've got enough to spend on a world class e.g. Villa or Torres. I'm adding Torres to my long term targets. Have to check him out with the scouts just to make sure, but it would certainly be good to worsen the scousers.

If you're going to buy a striker that won't play very often, then you can't rate him too highly so can't be completely relied on if you have to use him. You might as well buy someone young who can improve to be a first teamer, although I can't think of any young target men except for Bendtner, who's not that young anyway.

I'd stick with Campbell as a backup.

I'd say often FWRs is best for an AMC, whether that's in a 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-1-2 or whatever. They need to be an 'attacking' player and to get forward enough.

Have to disagree on this one. If the AMC is running forward off the ball too often then he's not involved in play enough for my liking, and it restricts the passing options of the ball carrier. The AMC is usually one of your better players hence the reason for using this role in the first place - so you want him to see plenty of the ball. Ive used an AMC with FWR rarely and that worked quite well, the player still gets forward to join in on attacks (that they often started) if they have a high enough mentality.

I've seen a lot of people sold Fletcher to ManC for 50 mil pounds :O:O

I tried a lot but havent had such a large amount like that :O I wonder if that was a bug for those who use pirated version ????

I've asked them sent me some screenshots.

On the subject of FWRs for AMC, it all depends on the role for the player. I tend to agree with Crazy Gra and set AMC behind lone striker FRWs to often, but I am really asking him to play like a forward comming from deep. I find in fast strike wing attacks a Tevez or Rooney type is lethal on pullback crosses from the byline. They are so often completely unmarked as they arrive late in the box. A hallmark of my approcah.

If you want your AMC to be a playmaker (like maverick nc1) then mixed or even rarely is better. This can be especially effective in a 4-2-3-1 with the "wingers" set up to run into the box instead of get to the endline for crosses. This would be how I would use Scholes or better yet a player like Riquelme. In this role they should also have Through Balls on mixed or often.

Oh maverrick nc1, for the offer of a Thai bride I will gladly tighten up your defense. Better make sure she likes women too as I have been promising my girlfiend I was going to get a Thai (or other asian bride) for the two of us and have her legally change her name to: Pu Si...

I tried a lot but havent had such a large amount like that :O I wonder if that was a bug for those who use pirated version ????

it nothing to do with the pirated version, at teh start you can get 40million for him easily if you do it right away. It a mix of man city being idiots and fletchers reputation i am guessing. I got like half of this in january when money already had been splashed about... also what will a screenshot show? it show the transfer but you wont be able to see if it a pirate version of the game or not from a screenshot.

Like xx11 said Man City have stacks of cash and Fletcher has a higher reputation than the rest of their MC's so they are willing to pay ludicrous amounts of money for him. I agree its unrealistic though.

Good result. I've also not had the best of starts but hopefully my form will pick up.
After that game, my next Prem match was away at Arsenal. With still some poor morale in the team I wasn't expecting much at all. Outplayed them first half but finished 1-0. Second half was quite poor and was 3-0 down early on but made it 3-1 quickly. Silvestre of all people scored a 4th and Rooney bagged a 2nd for us but it was too late.

Not too bothered about that as that's the hardest game of the season out of the way now.

Defensively my team has been sound, only conceding 5 in the first 9 games. Rio's done well, He's been consistent aswell except for one game where he made a mistake. I've got a probem going forward. Can't seem to be scoring more than 1 or 2 per game.

Defensively my team has been sound, only conceding 5 in the first 9 games. Rio's done well, He's been consistent aswell except for one game where he made a mistake. I've got a probem going forward. Can't seem to be scoring more than 1 or 2 per game.

can you tell me ur squad and i'll see if i can suggest anythin as goals doesn't seem a problem for me! what tactics are u using also? I am using Lorenzo's tactics

No. You won't get many better defensive midfielders and £25m is too low anyway. I think people on here are quite happy to sell him as his attributres aren't the highest, but CA-wise he's top quality. I think he's probably marked a little low on his technical stats, but can't really argue against that until next season.

Just lost at Anfield 2-1

Outplayed them in all departments finishing with 18 shots on goals compared to their 3 and they mange to score 2 goals ffs.

Same as my first half against Arsenal. Had all the play then with a few minutes remaining, they break and Adebayor scores from a cross despite being marked by two defenders.

Hey, im going to my 3rd season soon, and i realise a super big problem with the European requirements of 8 England grown players and 4 Homegrown players. Almost my whole team now are foreign import that i once Giggs, Scholes, Neville and etc retire.. i think i don't have enough England Grown players to meet the requirements anymore. Are there any English players for recommendations...

No wonder people have trouble scoring considering the match I just played. 9 clear cut chances and only one of them was taken!

I've found that corners have been much better than in the demo. Set corner aim to '6 yard box' with the best jumper on 'challenge gk' and 2nd best on 'near post flick' and I seem to win a lot of headers with either of these two players. Don't score too many as it seems the keeper saves a lot of shots close to him despite the power of the header.

the corner bug is still in affect where you can score alot of goals with the challenge GK and aim 6yrd box. That why it my striker that on the keeper, just like in reality. My defenders attack the ball and he annoys the keeper :D Works well. But i have mixed target and not 6yrd else i probably score alot more then i do.

Argh - Owen damaged his cruciate ligaments :( 8 months, so possibly back in time for the FA Cup/CL finals.

At least it means he'll probably end up one of my best players with 4 goals in 4 appearances and an av. rating of 7.56. Could do with a new striker now, but it means Balotelli will get more games or I might just put Ronaldo upfront. Anyone used him there much?

I'll stick with my 4-4-2 as I'm not going to get into tweaking tactics. I've only got Berbatov and Rooney upfront at the moment, with Tevez out for a few more weeks and Manucho out for 2 months. I'll put Ronaldo upfront if needed and I'm not bothered as Nani has been doing alright and Marcelo has started very well so I've got plenty of options there anyway, as well as Balotelli and Park.

Balotelli is playing amazing for me in the 09/10 season, played 20 scored 20 so far, he is set as my main penalty and freekick taker so this could have an effect.

On another note been rotating my keepers with the following results:

Foster: Played 24, Conceeded 21, Clean Sheets 10, MOM 0.

Asenjo: Played 23, Conceeded 5, Clean Sheets 19, MOM 1.

Quite a difference between the 2!!

Balotelli is playing amazing for me in the 09/10 season, played 20 scored 20 so far, he is set as my main penalty and freekick taker so this could have an effect.

On another note been rotating my keepers with the following results:

Foster: Played 24, Conceeded 21, Clean Sheets 10, MOM 0.

Asenjo: Played 23, Conceeded 5, Clean Sheets 19, MOM 1.

Quite a difference between the 2!!

Foster's doing better than VDS in my first season, but that's because he's playing in cup games and some easy Prem games. Could be the same thing on your games?
1st Season, Who to sign?

Im guessing Park, Fletcher and Neville will be leaving, So who to bring in?

Reply ASAP Please ;)

Look at the first post of this thread for that advice ASAP Please ;)
crazy gra are you playing with mr/ml with farrows or amr/aml?
Just a flat 4-4-2. The wingers only ever have farrows on them in my attacking version where I want them to get into the box.

Vwery first player you should buy for Manu Utd - Matais Fernandez. Absolutly scrocher of an openening season. He blends well with the squad and scored over 20 goals for me (as a AML). Hes a great replacement for Giggs who doesn;t do well past the 2009 season and just does well for Man Utd (squad harmony etc) - entered into the man utd favourites section after 1st season

Archived