FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you mean? Has it just disappeared? Could be a bug.
It's in the information screen, but on the stadium section, not the overview.

Great result, ML :thup:

And I've decided I probably need two new strikers. As well as Owen being crocked for 8 months, Rooney often can't hit a donkey's @rse with a banjo and I can't rely on him to score goals. Ronaldo can play upfront against Chelsea in my next match and I'll use the international break to decide between an awkward-at-MR Marcelo or Nani for the right wing spot.

Hi ppl. As i have seen over the past few days how well and not so well ppl are doing, i would like to take this time and share my season so far with man utd, although im only in october.

Overview: overviewoctober2008wm4.th.jpg

Premiership: premierleagueoctoberan5.th.jpg

Summary of Premier league: -1st in Premiership and unbeaten (Although chelsea are level on points and also unbeaten)

-Seem to do better at home, defence becomes error prone when playing away, but attack always saves me.

-Drew my only game to hull city away (Had over 15 shots on target but hull city gk saved everfin lol)

-Veloso, nani, scholesy and berba are my top scorers with 3 goals each lol.

-My goals tend to come from all over the pitch

-Full backs are vital part of the team as they are my top assisters.

Champions league: championsleaguegroupstace9.th.jpg

Summary of Champions league: -2nd in Champions league group stage. porto, fc bordeaux and fiorentina in my group.

-lost opening game to bordeaux at home. Should have easily won but didnt take chances!

-2nd game vs fiorentina. won 3-2, was one of the best games ever played. Went ahead after the

2nd minute from mazy run by nani and finished with style. about 70 minutes later, i was 2-1 down.

Both of their goals came from crosses into the box. BUT, with 5 mins to go nani levelled, and then

ronaldo (WHO ELSE!) saved the day. after keeping the fall for about 5 mins jus passing it with pure

ease, veloso made a magnificent 50 yard pass through the middle of the pitch. Ronaldo latched on to

it and chipped the goalie from outside the box. Fiorentina could have equalised straight after!, But jovetic

missed an open goal after STUPID VDS tried running forward with the ball!. All in all it was 3 important

Points.

Other Competitions:

-League cup: through to the 4th round after beating boro at home. Totally outclassed them with my weakened

team (Which inc: possebbon, welbeck, gibson, o'shea, brown, foster, park and fletcher)

-Community Shield: Lost on penalties to portsmouth, Although i was still experimenting with my formation

-Super Cup: Won. beat zennit 4-2 in ET. Berba and scholesy were brilliant.

Transfers in: Veloso from Sporting fc: £14,750,000. Class DM. Also as i have a 3 man midfield. i can also switch him to the left

hand centre side so hargo can drop into the middle. This guy is a BEAST of a free kick taker. scored 2 out of 2 for

me so far.

Transfers out: No one lol. I have tried selling manucho, but no one will buy him. i will most likely wait till the january transfer

window.

I hope you enjoyed my first (and certainly not last) installment.

NB: If anyone has any tips, queries or would like to use my tactic (have two versions), then i would be extremely grateful

Thanks!

So any recommendations of how to improve the OP? I'm thinking of editing it as I know more about the players and who to sign etc tbh.
1. Do some spell checking e.g. Kuszczak

2. As for coaches/physios/scouts - I think you should take away all the mentioned people as I'm using a large database and they're not as good on mine as most staff have part-random stats. You should just say which type of coaches to improve on.

3. As for who to sign, there's obivously a decent list you can draw up but I don't think you should mention any names except those who are virtually must buys e.g. Marcelo if he's transfer listed, Veloso for ~£10m and Owen for ~£3.5m (all players I've signed of course :D ). You say you don't need a striker, but I completely disagree. You can't rely on only three quality strikers.

4. Mention that people to get rid of are Fletcher for £20m-£40m, Park for ~£7.5m when he's fit, O'Shea for ~£7.5m, Kuszczak for ~£5m and people like Carrick, Brown, Vidic, Hargreaves, Ronaldo and Tevez could all be sold for quite a lot each if you're mad ;)

Thanks, will update it in the morning :thup:

Anyway my team have been on a great 9 match winning run that has taken us to the top of the table \o/. Rooney has started to score 1 in 2 games but now Berbatov can't score for love or money and is getting ratings below 6 regularly :( He hasn't been as bad as Keirrison though who hasn't scored in 10 games (albiet 8 of those were from the subs bench). Needs to adapt asap.

I won the league on goal difference ahead of the Arse, knocked out of the League Cup at the Quater final stage by Liverpool. Then, go to the FA Cup semi final, would have been playing Portsmouth in the final, Wigan put Arsenal out in the quaters and draw me.

The win 2-1, Heskey - 93rd min....

About to [play my last game of the season, The Champions League Final against Inter Milan...wish me luck.

Ill be doing an end of season update with screen shots and such.

Di Maria rules :thup: Most assists for me. But for me the player you really must buy is Veloso. Amazing player. He holds the midfield together and basically drags the team along on his back because Scholes and Anderson are so inept. Owen's not bad but Cardozo on loan is a decent one. Balotelli ofc. But you definitely should add Daniel Aquino to the list. He's cheap for 950k and he's better than Saivet and almost as good as Balotelli for me.

At the start of the game i was struggling for wingers or AMLs. Found a nice we buy in Robert Pires :) Old yes, Fit most definetly. Made nearly 40 appearences for me with a reasonable rating. Scored 2, 8 assisst but he was much more impressive than those figures suggest. I settled at £4.9 mill as i was in a hurry and had no one. Also rooney and berbs got 25 goals each last season. Was very impressed with rafael, he scored some wonder goals for me. Ronaldo cannot hit free kicks though, thats why Hargreaves takes them. Won premier league, champs and league cup. Out of FA cup in 5th round. Also won WCC, Community Shield and Super Cup. All in first season.

New line up for this season. (First choice is first)

GK: VDS/Asenjo

DL: Evra, O'shea (Maybe fabio around april)

DR: Rafael, Neville

DC: Ferdinand ©, Evans

DC: Vidic, Brown

DMC: Hargreaves (FK), Veloso

MR: C. Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney (Occasionally)

ML: Robinho, Pires, Park

AMC: Anderson, Giggs

FC: Berbatov, Tevez

FC: Rooney (VC), Keirrison

Retrained Rooney to also be AMR, as with injuries in match i liek to move things about sometimes. Although my players seem much fitter this year (touch wood), and Ronaldo retrained to FC and AMC to give me some flexibility. Seems to be working, both are scoring for fun this season.

Players in: Season 2

Just signed Veloso this minute, probs not best deal. And managed to get Robinho for £30mill after unsettling.

Miguel Veloso £19mill DMC Sporting

Robinho £30mill AML Man City

Sergio Asenjo £7.75mil GK Valldolid

Christian Asamoah £3.2mill GK Flamengo

Liro Saarinen £10,000 (Bargain me thinks, finnish regen) DL HSV

Alex Bianchi £3.3mill DC Palermo

Clement Grenier £3.6mill AMR Lyon

FUTURE: ie January

Adem Ljajic £1.9mill Partizan

Oscar £3mill Sao Paulo

Players Out (second season)

I made a few bad signings in first season, such as fatboy ronaldo when all 4 of my main strikers were injured. He was awful. So played Wellbeck and Manucho for a bit, and they scored okay. Not clinical, but C.Ronaldo hit some form thankfully.

Ronaldo Free Unemployed

Michael Carrick £15.75mill Valencia. Ive got Hargo and Veloso so no need for him.

Darren Fletcher £35 mill Inter :) Surplus to requirements, even though i like him. Couldnt offer regular football

Thomas Kuszczak £4mill Hull

Possebon LOAN £350,000 Hull

and some awful youngsters

I also signed loads of youngsters in first season too.

i would advise not getting rid of any physio's as i believe it was mentioned as a possibility to get 20 physio stat. Inside 3 seasons i got 5 staff with 20 physio stat just from keeping the staff had to begin with.
I'd say don't do anything with the physios as you can't have anymore than you have at the start.
Di Maria rules :thup: Most assists for me. But for me the player you really must buy is Veloso. Amazing player. He holds the midfield together and basically drags the team along on his back because Scholes and Anderson are so inept. Owen's not bad but Cardozo on loan is a decent one. Balotelli ofc. But you definitely should add Daniel Aquino to the list. He's cheap for 950k and he's better than Saivet and almost as good as Balotelli for me.
Cardozo looks good, but more of a target man and you need quick strikers for Utd if you want to strengthen. Strangely, Aquina has been scouted but some stats are still masked. My scout doesn't think that highly of him, though. No-one can say Owen for £3.2m isn't worth it - didn't you always have him on 08?

Beat Wigan 3-0 last night with Tevez getting his first of the season and Ronaldo getting an 8.4 rating despite not scoring, but the game crashed when processing at the end! It was only Wigan at home, but wierdly it was 9th v 3rd. Not too bad, though, as I saved it the day before so I didn't lose my 3-1 win at Atletico with a part-reserve team.

I'm having more luck from corners now - aiming for the 6 yd box with strong jumpers and headers on challenge gk and near post flick is defnitely working well :thup:

Off I go to beat Wigan again...

Just lost Rooney for two months and Ronaldo for 3 weeks. 6 goals in 7 games in second season for rooney. And i had Ronaldo upfront with him, awesome partnership. Ronaldo 6 goals in 8 games. Luckily Kierrison seems to have improved in confidence in the reserves 2nd part of last season, and found some scoring form.

Ideal first team now... having changed formation.

-------Rooney-----Berbatov-------

---Robinho--------------Ronaldo---

-------Hargreaves--Veloso---------

-----------------------------------

---Evra---Ferdinand--Vidic---Rafael

-----------------VDS--------------

Still havent decided on my MCs, Anderson is top quality these days, and Hargo and Veloso are quite defensive. Shame i cant fit tevez in... :(

I think you should keep him (depending on how awesome your squad is) I usually uuse him off the bench or in easier games. However last season he played against the other big 3 and was fantastic. Scoring 2. But try get 7mill for him in total.

You should sell Park unless you're really bereft of wingers. I'd rather play Lee Martin there, and there's also Evra and Rafael.

Beat Wigan 3-0 last night with Tevez getting his first of the season and Ronaldo getting an 8.4 rating despite not scoring, but the game crashed when processing at the end! It was only Wigan at home, but wierdly it was 9th v 3rd. Not too bad, though, as I saved it the day before so I didn't lose my 3-1 win at Atletico with a part-reserve team.

Off I go to beat Wigan again...

Won it 3-0 again, but this time Tevez scored two <3

Anderrrrrrrrson, I've managed to get a formation I feel replicatesMan Utd's style of play, but unfortunately it seems to have the same faults in real life, mainly rooney doing far too much donkey work and not getting all the goals, but Ronaldo looks on for about 35 goals this season.

can u show us your tatic?

Hi, just wondering has anybody found a tactic that best replicates the way United play in real life. Been trying to do this is the game was released however carn't seem to get Ronaldo scoring goals or strikers get good match ratings.

Anderrrrrrson - check one of my earlier posts, ive uploaded a tactic which i believe plays the UTD way. Bit shaky defensively but excellent going forward. (Although do tend to try to 'walk it in' sometimes.)

Ok, cheers. Do you no around what post number it is?

Here you go bud.

As promised, for anyone who wishes to have a go with this tactic. Its my own interpretation of the way United play IRL. Ive been tinkering with this for bloody ages so please dont download, try for one game and then tell me its sh*t as i WILL hunt you down and destroy you ;-)

Screenie

unitedwy0.th.jpg

Download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0308c21c16d7de3491b20cc0d07ba4d20c9d59ce0c909851

As i said earlier i havent managed to iron out the defensive frailties (well not without ballsing up the attacking intent anyway) so if anyone manages to do this i will happily order them a Thai bride for Xmas.

Highlights in my game have included 6-4 vs Real Madrid, 5-0 vs Liverscum and 4-3 vs Arsenal. Too many goals at both ends probably, but entertaining at least!

Give it a go, let me know what you think. Or err, dont, c'est la vie.

NB - AS with ALL tactics listen to your assistant, especially pre-match. Annoying but effective. If you dont believe how important this is then save your game and play the same match twice, one with OI and once without - HUUUUGE difference. Good luck all.

As promised, for anyone who wishes to have a go with this tactic. Its my own interpretation of the way United play IRL. Ive been tinkering with this for bloody ages so please dont download, try for one game and then tell me its sh*t as i WILL hunt you down and destroy you ;-)

Screenie

unitedwy0.th.jpg

Download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0308c21c16d7de3491b20cc0d07ba4d20c9d59ce0c909851

As i said earlier i havent managed to iron out the defensive frailties (well not without ballsing up the attacking intent anyway) so if anyone manages to do this i will happily order them a Thai bride for Xmas.

Highlights in my game have included 6-4 vs Real Madrid, 5-0 vs Liverscum and 4-3 vs Arsenal. Too many goals at both ends probably, but entertaining at least!

Give it a go, let me know what you think. Or err, dont, c'est la vie.

NB - AS with ALL tactics listen to your assistant, especially pre-match. Annoying but effective. If you dont believe how important this is then save your game and play the same match twice, one with OI and once without - HUUUUGE difference. Good luck all.

maverick, have you tried using a DM and a CM instead of 2 CMs? it might protect the defence a bit more!!!

Just need some advice on how to set Rooney up, because his match ratings on my game go from poor to ok,

i am playing a 4411 system with attacking wings and him in the hole behind Berbatov.

I play him like this:

Normal mentality-Around 13

Normal CF (very middle marker on slide)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-often

RwB-often

Long Shots-mixed/rarely

TTB-often

CB-often

Cross from mixed

Free Role aswell

and

i'm playing Berbatov with the following instructions and it seems to be working well so far:

Attacking mentality-Around 19

High CF (around 16)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-mixed

RwB-mixed

Long Shots-rarely

TTB-mixed

CB-rarely

Just some advice would help, cheers

cheers mate !
Just need some advice on how to set Rooney up, because his match ratings on my game go from poor to ok,

i am playing a 4411 system with attacking wings and him in the hole behind Berbatov.

I play him like this:

Normal mentality-Around 13

Normal CF (very middle marker on slide)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-often

RwB-often

Long Shots-mixed/rarely

TTB-often

CB-often

Cross from mixed

Free Role aswell

and

i'm playing Berbatov with the following instructions and it seems to be working well so far:

Attacking mentality-Around 19

High CF (around 16)

Passing-set to mixed

FwR-mixed

RwB-mixed

Long Shots-rarely

TTB-mixed

CB-rarely

Just some advice would help, cheers

My set up is similar but Rooney is set FWR rarely/RWB rarely or mixed. This gets him to stay deeper and see more of the ball - and therad balls through to Berbatov. I prefer having Berba in the box as he's a better finisher.

maverick, have you tried using a DM and a CM instead of 2 CMs? it might protect the defence a bit more!!!

I have mate, doesnt work too well as the DM is often too deep so the CM end up chasing everything like a headless chicken. Ive got the 2 CM's working better by upping their mentalities (so they still look for forward passes) but reducing their FWR's to rarely. Works really well, even tho set to rarely the CM's still join in attacks and do the defensive donkey work also.

Can anyone tell what average passes per match is reasonable for a winger (in a wide-ish formations?) Mine are averaging between 10-20 p/m so obviously not seeing that much of the ball and this is with Focus passing down the flanks! Is this a normal ratio for a winger and im concerned about nothing??

Cardozo looks good, but more of a target man and you need quick strikers for Utd if you want to strengthen. Strangely, Aquina has been scouted but some stats are still masked. My scout doesn't think that highly of him, though. No-one can say Owen for £3.2m isn't worth it - didn't you always have him on 08?

I'm not getting much from my fast strikers so I brought him in as backup. Aquino probably has quite a high potential from the looks of him but even without a high potential he still looks a great prospect. Even if his PA was * he can turn out to be as good as most strikers imo. And I think I did buy Owen quite alot on 08 but I can't be bothered on 09 because I've got too many other strikers. Balotelli is my 5th striker if needed. Only on loan though. That and I have Campbell, Saivet and Welbeck in reserves.

Can anyone tell what average passes per match is reasonable for a winger (in a wide-ish formations?) Mine are averaging between 10-20 p/m so obviously not seeing that much of the ball and this is with Focus passing down the flanks! Is this a normal ratio for a winger and im concerned about nothing??

20-30? Maybe more. I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure mine get 30+. It doesn't matter anyway as long as they're getting assists or goals as mine are :) My attacking midfielder is the one that suffers.

Hey guys, I've tried playing as United for a couple of months and try to get used to the tactics of the game and I'm struggling to find something simple and which doesn't require much tweaking.

I've just won the Community Shield on penalties over Portsmouth but struggled for the majority of the game and was lucky not to be humiliated. My squad:

van der Sar, Foster & Kuszczak

G Neville, Rafael, Evra, Marcelo, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown & Evans

Ronaldo, Park, Nani, Giggs, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Hargreaves & Fletcher

Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov & Manucho

From that squad, what would be your 1st choice line-up and also, what tactic would work effectively for them as in playing United style irl? Thanks in advance and help much appreciated.

Hey guys, I've tried playing as United for a couple of months and try to get used to the tactics of the game and I'm struggling to find something simple and which doesn't require much tweaking.

I've just won the Community Shield on penalties over Portsmouth but struggled for the majority of the game and was lucky not to be humiliated. My squad:

van der Sar, Foster & Kuszczak

G Neville, Rafael, Evra, Marcelo, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown & Evans

Ronaldo, Park, Nani, Giggs, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Hargreaves & Fletcher

Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov & Manucho

From that squad, what would be your 1st choice line-up and also, what tactic would work effectively for them as in playing United style irl? Thanks in advance and help much appreciated.

I've been developing a United tactic that is really starting to work for me, it's more or less a modified version of the Quieroz tactic from the stick topic in the tactics forum but i've made some alterations to it. I don't know how to up load it so if you want to give it a try pm me and i'll send it to you. It has come along nicely recently, i have 4 different variations of it depending on the style of your central midfielders (carrick or hargreaves) and the style of your strike partnerships (berba&rooney/tevez or rooney&tevez). I've played 20 games and only lost 1 so far, that was a league cup game against Portsmouth where i played a mixture of reserves and under 18's.

That's what I thought, Evon. Power-happy Hopey ;)

I'm thinking of selling Rooney. Everyone misses chances, but this guy takes the biscuit. Going to play him soley as an FCd so he mainly makes chances rather than having the opportunity to miss them, but Real Madrid are interested. Reckon £50m might sway me, but could probably easily get more than that and just remembered about the 35% sell on clause, so will try for at least £60m. It seems if you reject an offer saying it isn't good enough, they usually come back with more.

Having just entered my 6th season as manager of Manchester United, and having won the following:

honoursof9.th.jpg

honours2zh4.th.jpg

I am considering resigning at the end of the season (2013/2014) and seek a new challenge, maybe in Spain or even to a lower league club. Sounds crazy I know, but having won everything possible including the League and Champions League every season, there's not really many places I can take the club forward. The only thing left is trying to beat Real Madrid's record of 9 Champions League - I'm currently at 8 with United.

What do you guys think about this?

That's what I thought, Evon. Power-happy Hopey ;)

I'm thinking of selling Rooney. Everyone misses chances, but this guy takes the biscuit. Going to play him soley as an FCd so he mainly makes chances rather than having the opportunity to miss them, but Real Madrid are interested. Reckon £50m might sway me, but could probably easily get more than that and just remembered about the 35% sell on clause, so will try for at least £60m. It seems if you reject an offer saying it isn't good enough, they usually come back with more.

Know what you mean about Rooney, he literally just blasts it from anywhere and everywhere all the bloody time. Then just when your about to give up on him and cash in he'll go on a red-hot streak and everything he touches is a goal.

Im wondering how much of this game is down to tactics and how much is now down to man management, especially considering the hot/cold nature of some players....

Know what you mean about Rooney, he literally just blasts it from anywhere and everywhere all the bloody time. Then just when your about to give up on him and cash in he'll go on a red-hot streak and everything he touches is a goal.

Im wondering how much of this game is down to tactics and how much is now down to man management, especially considering the hot/cold nature of some players....

Man management is my forté and now I've got him (and pretty much everyone) up to superb morale I'll give him a chance, but I wouldn't mind enough money for Torres or Villa.

Why am i losing lots of money every month???? what can i do?

because of the massive debt, every month about 7 mill is payed out into thin air. i only just made it through the first season in the black :) im now down to losing 5 mill every month as i fill the stadium just about with the extra 16000 seats you get. basically to survive ive found you have to develop talent from an early age and sell it to make money to stay in the banks good books.

Archived