FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Should have got Veloso at the start then. Hold on, were you doing no transfers in the first window? Even so, £17m is still a great price for him and then he'll be settled for next season. I manage to fit Hargreaves, Carrick and Veloso into my midfield with them all playing enough games, although Veloso and Carrick sometimes play in the MCa role.

I didn't have enough money to buy Veloso as I didn't sell Fletch in the first window. Might sell him to raise money to sign Veloso. What do you think?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might sell Carrick. But only if I get £30m+ for him, which doesn't look likely as I think I've already taken Man City's money for the season. And they have about 7/8 senior central midfielders. He's doing ok for me but Ramires is outperforming him with ease and is first choice for Brazil now :) Just when I bought him he got his first cap and is in the team every game now :D. Weird. He's only played about 5 games so far.

And don't sell Fletcher or Carrick in Jan. No point. Man City won't give you £30m+ for them. You could have got up to £50m at the start.

The reason I sold Fletcher was because I had the chance to get Veloso on the cheap.

Anyone got far enough into the game to get a chance at the England job (or any international team)? Reckon at least 6 of my players could be first choice for me. Perhaps more with Welbeck and maybe if the Brazilian twins can get an English passport ;)

The reason I sold Fletcher was because I had the chance to get Veloso on the cheap.

Anyone got far enough into the game to get a chance at the England job (or any international team)? Reckon at least 6 of my players could be first choice for me. Perhaps more with Welbeck and maybe if the Brazilian twins can get an English passport ;)

i got the england job. Unfortunately i believe all 3 brazilians are declared for Brazil... I know possebon is because he took a british passport in order to increase chance to get in the internation scene, however due to the declaration i cant get him and he isnt getting in brazilian team. Fabio and Rafael have both been in brazil team so even if they declared i cant get in.

I done awful in my first competition but managed to hold onto the job, hopefully can do better in the others. Using a campbell and rooney frontline :D

For Ronaldo? Even in 08 it's ridiculous but in 09 it's such an idiotic decision it's crazy. He's the only one who will guarantee goals. And Quaresma? He's rubbish. He's decent technically but rubbish mentally.

Ronaldo last season ( in game) for United scored 13 in 33 appearances, hes he hasnt been that good.

Great prices. I'm looking to offload Park, Manucho, Gray (for spelling his name wrong), Gibson and Hewson in this transfer window. Not looking to buy anyone as I can't think where I need to improve. Perhaps a good youth DL or DM, but that's it.

hello im not a united fan im a liverpool fan but i was just wondering if anybody wants to play fm 09 online i need somebody to play as united and i thought this would be the best place to advertise pm me if intrested i will then reply with more info

In my second season so far

GK - Van der Sar

RB - Rafael/Celozzi

LB - Evra

CB -Vidic/Criscito

CB - Ferdinand/Evams

RM - Ronaldo/Nani

LM - Vargas/Wijnaldum

CM - Van der Vaart/Carrick

CM - Hargreaves/Fletcher

ST - Rooney/Berbatov

ST - Tevez/Altidore

Got Vargas for 7.5 mil from Fiorentina absolute bargain and got Altidore from Villarreal for 5mil VDV for 4.7mil

The board intervened and sold Anderson to City for 24mil. Was ragin at that.

I dont believe my luck :( Just played everton and in April with not long to go then with Tevez already out This Happens :eek: :eek:

This is all i have left For Strikers

Thankfully league is virtually sown up but with CL and Fa Cup to go could be worrying :(

Forgot to add my next 4 fixtures are At Madrid A, Man City H, At madrid H, Liverpool N Fa Cup semi

Someone lend me a striker, have retrained Ronaldo so heres hoping

Unlucky on the injuries mate. Hopefully Ronaldo can do the job for you upfront.

Anyway just had a great comeback against Liverpool. Was 1-0 down at half time and my two ST were having major goal droughts. Howver my team talk and changing my tactic to 4231 with two DM'S and Ronaldo, Rooney and Nani behind Berbatov worked a treat with Rooney getting a brace and Berbatov also scoring which led us to a 3-1 win \o/

I dont believe my luck :( Just played everton and in April with not long to go then with Tevez already out This Happens

This is all i have left For Strikers

Thankfully league is virtually sown up but with CL and Fa Cup to go could be worrying :(

Forgot to add my next 4 fixtures are At Madrid A, Man City H, At madrid H, Liverpool N Fa Cup semi

Someone lend me a striker, have retrained Ronaldo so heres hoping

Bad luck with those. Atletico aren't that great and you should have Rooney back for the FA Cup final and maybe the other two if your luck improves.

Good comeback, ML :thup:

I've just reduced my wage budget quite well but offering new contracts to all the people on £50k+. Most of them accepted £5k/week less than they're currently on without any signing on fee and a longer contract as well. It's only Ronaldo that hasn't accepted yet.

I am kinda torn right now. I have always enjoyed the wheeling and dealing in trying to obtain the best players. Ihave never been very successful at selling players. So after reading earlier posts in this thread, I started offering my players for sale at high prices. I managed to do the following:

Darren Fletcher $40 mil to Manchester City

Tevez $30 mil to Real Madrid

Owen Hargreaves $10 mil to Tottenham

Tomasz Kusczak $3.5 mil to OGC Nice Cote d'Azur

Park Ji-Sung $5 mil to Manchester City

Jonny Evans $10 mil to Newcastle

John O'Shea $7 mil to Tottenham

Total of $105.5

I have never been that successful at selling players before so I was happy that I had that much to spend. After I looked at this however, I started thinking. I am always for realism in the game but also want to enjoy it as well. Im just wondering though, does this hurt the game?? I am by no means someone very well schooled in football, I barely get to see a game here in the U.S. mainly just the big 4 mostly. From what I can tell from reading other threads, these prices seem to be way out from what the players should be worth, some of them anyway. So I just wonder, does this hurt the game in the long run?? Im still trying to figure out who to buy but I do have Srna and Veloso coming in.

Just curious if this will eventually kill the game being able to get such big prices for my players

i got the england job. Unfortunately i believe all 3 brazilians are declared for Brazil... I know possebon is because he took a british passport in order to increase chance to get in the internation scene, however due to the declaration i cant get him and he isnt getting in brazilian team. Fabio and Rafael have both been in brazil team so even if they declared i cant get in.

I done awful in my first competition but managed to hold onto the job, hopefully can do better in the others. Using a campbell and rooney frontline :D

I take it Capello messed up somewhere then? I hope the rest of the spine of your team is Foster, Brown, Ferdinand, Carrick and Hargreaves.
I am kinda torn right now. I have always enjoyed the wheeling and dealing in trying to obtain the best players. Ihave never been very successful at selling players. So after reading earlier posts in this thread, I started offering my players for sale at high prices. I managed to do the following:

Darren Fletcher $40 mil to Manchester City

Tevez $30 mil to Real Madrid

Owen Hargreaves $10 mil to Tottenham

Tomasz Kusczak $3.5 mil to OGC Nice Cote d'Azur

Park Ji-Sung $5 mil to Manchester City

Jonny Evans $10 mil to Newcastle

John O'Shea $7 mil to Tottenham

Total of $105.5

I have never been that successful at selling players before so I was happy that I had that much to spend. After I looked at this however, I started thinking. I am always for realism in the game but also want to enjoy it as well. Im just wondering though, does this hurt the game?? I am by no means someone very well schooled in football, I barely get to see a game here in the U.S. mainly just the big 4 mostly. From what I can tell from reading other threads, these prices seem to be way out from what the players should be worth, some of them anyway. So I just wonder, does this hurt the game in the long run?? Im still trying to figure out who to buy but I do have Srna and Veloso coming in.

Just curious if this will eventually kill the game being able to get such big prices for my players

None of them are big prices except for Fletcher. Why people sell Tevez is a mystery and $10m for Hargreaves has got you really caught with your pants down. Redknapp's the true wheeler and dealer and he's just done it again by buying one of the best English midfielders for that little. Getting rid of Evans was a mistake too.

For Ronaldo? Even in 08 it's ridiculous but in 09 it's such an idiotic decision it's crazy. He's the only one who will guarantee goals. And Quaresma? He's rubbish. He's decent technically but rubbish mentally.

that is totally incorrect. he is not the only one to guarantee goals. I have berba/rooney banging them in. I am using ronaldo sparingly, with manucho as AML and Tosic as AMR and they are getting some goals too.

I take it Capello messed up somewhere then? I hope the rest of the spine of your team is Foster, Brown, Ferdinand, Carrick and Hargreaves.

Not sure what happened to him, so loading up to have a look. They approached me about the job so i accepted, i wasnt going to bother about international management. - just looked. Capello resigned on 05/06/2011, can not work out but he retired out the game now it seems. He wont the 2010 world cup though so maybe that had some reason to it. I lost in the 2012 Euro's at the quarter final to Spain when i was expected to get to the final. Oops.

As for the Spine of the team. Foster is in squad but doesnt play, he doesnt get a look in at man city (I sold him to fiorentina in 2011 as he wanted a new challange and they sold him to Man City in 2012 where he hasnt played yet. Almunia was called to the team as backup keeper but he doesnt get a game at Arsenal. I resorted to a reserve keeper of my own who came through the youth system to play in goal whilst i decide on the new number one keeper. Had easy games so not worried about it.

Brown, Carrick and Hargreaves are banned from my England team, as is both Coles, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Lescott and a few others. They pulled out of a couple of friendlies all at the same time and I decided that due to this their international careers were over.

Midfield consists of Barry, Young, Walcott, Wilshire and a regen of mine, Waite and Agbonlahor also makes appearances there.

Defence varies, but Ferdinand and Richards are generally centre pairing, but rio is getting old and physical stats begun to drop so dont know how long he will keep his place in either team :(

Hey Charlie,

Where did you get your skin, really love the look on your interface.

Its the Blackin 09 Skin

Bad luck with those. Atletico aren't that great and you should have Rooney back for the FA Cup final and maybe the other two if your luck improves.

You were Saying :eek::(

Beat madrid 3-2 on agg and done city 3-1 :D, next up liverpool

Superb now Campbell is out for 2 weeks

Not sure what happened to him, so loading up to have a look. They approached me about the job so i accepted, i wasnt going to bother about international management. - just looked. Capello resigned on 05/06/2011, can not work out but he retired out the game now it seems. He wont the 2010 world cup though so maybe that had some reason to it. I lost in the 2012 Euro's at the quarter final to Spain when i was expected to get to the final. Oops.

As for the Spine of the team. Foster is in squad but doesnt play, he doesnt get a look in at man city (I sold him to fiorentina in 2011 as he wanted a new challange and they sold him to Man City in 2012 where he hasnt played yet. Almunia was called to the team as backup keeper but he doesnt get a game at Arsenal. I resorted to a reserve keeper of my own who came through the youth system to play in goal whilst i decide on the new number one keeper. Had easy games so not worried about it.

Brown, Carrick and Hargreaves are banned from my England team, as is both Coles, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Lescott and a few others. They pulled out of a couple of friendlies all at the same time and I decided that due to this their international careers were over.

Midfield consists of Barry, Young, Walcott, Wilshire and a regen of mine, Waite and Agbonlahor also makes appearances there.

Defence varies, but Ferdinand and Richards are generally centre pairing, but rio is getting old and physical stats begun to drop so dont know how long he will keep his place in either team :(

speaking of international managing, do the media slams you if your biased in choosing your own players rather than other clubs?

You were Saying :eek::(

Beat madrid 3-2 on agg and done city 3-1 :D, next up liverpool

Superb now Campbell is out for 2 weeks

You probably played him too soon, especially against an average team.

England are doing quite well in their group, but that's no surprise as all the Man Utd players in the squad - Brown, Rio, Carrick, Hargreaves and Rooney - are first teamers. I'm sure Foster and Owen will be there soon enough.

Looks like Park will be leaving soon. No-one wants to buy him but got loads of loan offers, so I'll have to accept them. Brings a bit of money in and takes him off the wage bill at least.

Anderson became unsettled when I rejected an improved bid from Barcelona, but in the press conference I was asked what's the strongest area of the team. I chose midfield and said Anderson is the best of them and now he's "willing to stay" :D

Ronaldo's just signed a new contract on £5k/week less than he had and I've got Calvert-Toulmin scouting the South American U-20 Championship. He's recommended Marquinhos and I'm pretty tempted. Might only cost £8m and think I'll get him in if Chelsea really want Nani. Rooney's started to pick up his performances and is now top scorer on 11 in January. Next few games are tough with Liverpool (9th) away in the league, Wigan (4th in the league!) at home in the FA Cup, then Arsenal (3rd) at home in the league.

I would be glad if somebody gave me £24m for Anderson. He's so ****ing useless for me. He's even worse than Scholes. Everybody makes better passes than him and he contributes absolutely nothing. I don't get it. He's a good passer. But he never shows it. What instructions do you give him? Because if he doesn't start picking up his performances I will boot him out. The same goes for my strikers.

I would be glad if somebody gave me £24m for Anderson. He's so ****ing useless for me. He's even worse than Scholes. Everybody makes better passes than him and he contributes absolutely nothing. I don't get it. He's a good passer. But he never shows it. What instructions do you give him? Because if he doesn't start picking up his performances I will boot him out. The same goes for my strikers.

Bit of extra creativity but that is mainly it. Nothing else really. He played very good for me in my first seson till the board sold him. Worked out alright though cus got VDV that summer aswell to replace him and has been much better.

The only thing I do differently for Andy is to reduce long shots to rarely. My ass man, Neri, rates him a lot higher than Scholes currently and better than Carrick. Plus, he's very useful for being played on the left wing too, not that I've used him there much this season.

The only thing I do differently for Andy is to reduce long shots to rarely. My ass man, Neri, rates him a lot higher than Scholes currently and better than Carrick. Plus, he's very useful for being played on the left wing too, not that I've used him there much this season.

I put long shots on rarely for everyone. I'll just play around with his instructions anyway. Other than that there's not much I can do seeing as I haven't got enough money to buy a quality replacement.

Anderson has been awesome for me too!

One thing that is ****ing me off is the teams failure to stick the ball in the back of the net! Played 11 games in my second season and only scored nine goals! They couldn't hit a barn door at the moment. And it is not through lack of shots either, averaging about 15 a game, but they just cannot score :(

Marquinhos is great Gra. I was tempted to sign him but will prefer to get Balotelli/Vela in the summer and get him when Giggs retires.
I already have Marcelo to replace Giggs, Balotelli's already in and Nani's done OK in the games he's recently played with Ronaldo injured. Chelsea just bid £9m for Nani (his value :rolleyes: ), so let's see if they come back with more...

And VDS, Evra and Carrick are all "worried about the lack of managerial discipline". What have I done wrong?!

I already have Marcelo to replace Giggs, Balotelli's already in and Nani's done OK in the games he's recently played with Ronaldo injured. Chelsea just bid £9m for Nani (his value :rolleyes: ), so let's see if they come back with more...

Juan Manuel Vargas is my left winger now. Got him in 1st season for 7.5 mil from Fiorentina. Peruvian international is one of my best players now.

He can also play left back if evra gets injured. Top quality player

I posted this a while ago as it was the same in the demo. For some reason, the Premiership is out of kilter with Europe and so is a week behind. A reason for this suggested that because of the xmas period with just the way the dates fall that the Premiership sort of misses a week and so it goes:

- Wed: UEFA Cup final

- Sun: Final Prem matches

- Wed: CL final

- Sat: FA Cup final

And I don't want Marquinhos anymore. I've just seen how much improved Walcott is, and being English, I'm having him!

I posted this a while ago as it was the same in the demo. For some reason, the Premiership is out of kilter with Europe and so is a week behind. A reason for this suggested that because of the xmas period with just the way the dates fall that the Premiership sort of misses a week and so it goes:

- Wed: UEFA Cup final

- Sun: Final Prem matches

- Wed: CL final

- Sat: FA Cup final

And I don't want Marquinhos anymore. I've just seen how much improved Walcott is, and being English, I'm having him!

Walcott is great but will cost a lot of money especially as Man Utd are Arsenal's rivals.

He's probably not scoring as Rooney's missing too many chances. Going through some decent form for me atm, but still doesn't score as many as he should.

Walcott is great but will cost a lot of money especially as Man Utd are Arsenal's rivals.
He'll be worth every penny. Also, I know it was a bug, but people bought him quite cheap on the demo, but it shows they might let him go to to Utd. Plus, being an AMR/L,FC his versatility will be great, even if his left foot is weak.

Arsenal have some great players in Walcott, Vela, Wilshere, Ramsey etc. Even Bendtner looks awesome.

I'm tryng to unsettle Vela as it look like he has a lot of potential in my game as my scout says he could be better than Rooney :eek:

Oh and Tevez has returned to light training \o/

Arsenal just did me over. Lost 3-1 at home with Walcott getting two. Played like @rseholes until they went 3-1 up, which was too late on. Rooney again missed some good chances including a one on one where he was clear for 30 yards. Both him and Neville got 5.5 ratings so I warned them and they accepted. That seemed to put to rest the worries in the squad over my discipline. At least I'm only 3 points off Chelsea at the top now and Arsenal are still 4 behind.

I'm going to retrain him in midfield so he can't keep fudging up chances. 81 attempts, 42 on target, 11 goals. That's a bit **** I think.

Tevez: 48 attempts, 29 on target, 8 goals

Berbatov: 39, 25, 8

Owen: 12, 7, 4

Archived