FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first post for me and im gonna give some advice to you guys who are still in season 1 or 2... first of all if u dont have enough strikers( if u sold tevez,roo,berba, etc) and is looking for a new one, i suggest you get carlos vela(it took me 1 hr negotiating with arsenal and finally sealing the deal with 41 gbp :D ) and balotelli. They're both wonderkid's and are preety young so they can learn a lot... consider loaning balotelli when he reaches 20 to championship clubs... never sell nani cos he will be a good player as he grows, same to anderson... i suggest you sell both foster and kuzcack(spellings wrong :( ) cos they arent that good (foster makes a lot of careless mistakes and will be begging for 1st team football) get a goalie like sergio asenjo and he will do wonders... i will give you more info soon cos im in a hurry now... cya ! oh yes and i beat arsenal 4-1 in the c.sheild !!! dono how that happened but they are still a threat

Foster's a very good keeper. Might not have amazing stats like Casillas or Buffon, but improves during the first season and is better than VDS who goes into decline from January onwards. VDS is still my first choice, but Foster is getting plenty of games and when he becomes first choice, Asenjo will be the backup who's a wonderkid.

Most of the old players are losing their places now. Neville has lost out to Brown and Rafael plays in the easy games; Scholes is always getting injured and not playing well when he gets the chance, so Anderson is easily first choice; and Marcelo's been banging on the ML door all season and will be my first choice now that Giggs is out for the rest of the season with a slipped disc.

End of Season 2 Report

Finally got around to finishing the season after a hectic few days, quite pleased in the end due to the injuries i had late on in the season which caused quite alot of problems.

Summary

Here is the overall Summary of the season.

forgot to add Also now have 2 commercial link teams so have more money coming in to try and cover the loan repayments

League Cup

Exit against Arsenal played too many youngsters and outclassed no complaint.

FA Cup

Played Liverpool in semis and really should have won even with the injuries i had at the time but the Stats show how much possesion i had but they put their chances away :mad:

Champions League

Just about won the Final and switched to 4-4-2 formation for the game.

Nani ended up with golden boot as well :D

League

Won the League quite comfortably in the end but funny thing is Chelsea and Liverpool outside top 4

To Do

Im fairly happy with the squad but it does need some work, i have some very good potential youngsters but they wont be ready for a couple of years so im looking to bring in :- LB, MRL, CB and a ST

Players looking to offload :- Flecther, Brown, Park, Hargreaves, Manucho, Campbell (?? Not sure yet), Berbatov (not really impressed with him)

Well, I lost my old save with Man Utd as my computer croked it, so I have just started a new one as semi-pro experience, don't really know why tbh. Anyhow I managed to persuade the board to give me an extra 15m transfer budget after pestering them 3 times and telling the media I'd only bring the best names to the club (I don't know if that makes a difference or not).

In my last save I only signed Balotelli who was fantastic for me on the wings, not so much as a striker (probably something to so with his bad anticipation) and this time around I decided I didn't really need a young striker anyway as there are Campbell, Brandy and Welbeck to come through. I do think its quite neccessary to have a 4th Striker though due to having a long term injury to Rooney on my last save really gave me problems when I had short term injuries to both Berba and Tevez. So all in all, I will be looking to sign a Striker, if I could manage to unsettle Villa he would be my only transfer target this season. If that is not the case I will be looking at perhaps an extra winger such as Ashley Young, a Defensive midfeilder, perhaps Veloso or Diarra and maybe a young MCa, I'd like to see how Bostock turns out in the long run. I would look at English options before all and would love to hear some suggestions. And incase Gra reads this: I don't want to sign Owen.

Yeah Foster has been solid for me aswell. He will be my first choice GK next season.

On another note just gone top for the first time this season and 2 points ahead of Chelsea who have 2 games in hand though. However they still have to play us, Arsenal and Liverpool so we have a easier run in \o/

I got Anderson to play decently :eek: But I had to base my whole team around him. Not happening. And Balotelli's great up front for me as well as on the wings. He's an assist machine anywhere and his pace and strength really help. Also he's scored about 4 free-kicks for me. Out of about 6/7 goals but still. Not bad. Ronaldo doesn't even get near the goal with his freekicks.

Ronaldo scored quite a few free kicks for me in my last save, he scored a hattrick of freekicks for me in one game. He was actually my top goalscorer before I lost the save, 22 goals ahead of Tevez with 21 and Berbatov with 18. Don't get me wrong I loved Balotelli, I am suprised that he has so much praise about the forums though, I thought I would be slated for buying him when I got my internet back due to some of his low mental stats such as anticipation. Anderson plays great for me, I think hes a real top notch MCa, its Berbatov I am struggling to get to consistantly perform, he can be great and score alot of goals in patches, but he can be really, really crap for long spells.

My main targets for my 1st season have come down to being Benzema, as I thought I would try him out. He is looking to cost around 15 - 16m, Veloso who looks fb and Nani recommended him so it helps with the relationship, he will cost 11m, Bostock who will cost 1.8 rising to 4m if he is successful.

On the out City have come in for Fletcher, who I find performs quite well, but just isn't a scratch on Veloso, Carrick and Hargreaves, so I am trying to get 10m from them for him.

Hey everyone :)

Just started as Man Utd and sold Carrick for £25,500,000 and also Fletcher for £25,000,000 to Man City Haha!, But who should i buy to replace them? And ive around , £60,000,000 to spend :)

Thanks

Shouldn't have sold Carrick mate but look at Veloso and/or Diarra as replacements.

Anyway In my game Ronaldo has only scored 2 but he has a lot of assists and a good average rating, Don't know what to make of it tbh but I will try and play with his instructions to get him scoring more goals.

Sold Fletcher for 12m in the end to Spurs, but on the bad side I seem to have failed to get Benzema, Villa proved to be out of reach before hand and therefore moving onto my 3rd target. How much does it usually cost to attract Aguero? Any other good strikers to be recommended?

Btw does Tevez always get unhappy at not being able to move to Real? Twice in a row for me now.

Sold Fletcher for 12m in the end to Spurs, but on the bad side I seem to have failed to get Benzema, Villa proved to be out of reach before hand and therefore moving onto my 3rd target. How much does it usually cost to attract Aguero? Any other good strikers to be recommended?

Btw does Tevez always get unhappy at not being able to move to Real? Twice in a row for me now.

Aguero has min release clause of 32.5 mil. Thats how much i got him for

Mornin' all, bit of help please!

Just started my third season, coming 2nd to arsenal first season and 2nd to liverpool last. Also lost to arsenal in the fa cup final, and got knocked out of the champions league in the first knockout round by barcelona (having beaten them 0-2 at the Neu Camp, they came back to hammer me 2-4 at OT! i'm blaming my choice of tactics btw). Anyway... back to my point: I've just sold O'Shea to tottenham for 10mill, he was my jack-of-all-trades defensive benchman, ie would replace lb, cb or rb if they ever needed substituting (which is rarely as its usually the midfield i need to replace - unless of course one of the strikers is slacking!) and would normally be my only defender on the bench. But now i need to replace him. Personally, John Heitinga is one of my favourite players, he's either footed and has some very good stats, and no poor ones. I have also been interested in Micah Richards, for obvious reasons, however neither want to leave their clubs at the moment, and club's seem quite fond of them too! So much so that I have had 45mill (+30% clauses) bids turned down for both (probably wouldn't pay that much but still!).

I don't NEED a new O'Shea as such, as i have rafael and fabio as well as a quality regen rb/rwb who has potential to be much better than Lassana Diarra (my current rb), so I will be looking to start these against weaker teams. But I do WANT to replace him, for economy on the bench.

Does anyone have any ideas?

i asked him to stop shooting from distance, he got angry at me saying it wouldnt help his game, but from what i can see he isnt doing it as much now, i tend to make him hold up the ball and pass it on now, or get in close for the easy goals

Has anyone managed to tweak the Queiroz tactic in the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09 pack to get performances outta Berbatov?

I'm playing as United and have gotten great performances outta Roomey and Ronaldo both averaging over 7.5 for the first season and scoring 63 goals between them. But I just can't get Berbatov to do much. He manage 11 goals last season despite playing over 40 games.

I've play berbatov in the AMC role except I have him pushed up front alongside Rooney so it's more of a 442 now.

I wrote off the first 6 months of the season as him just settling in but my assistant stopped saying around December that he was having problems adapting

Would really appreciate any help from anyone!

Manchester United - First Season - September Update

Transfer Market

I feel I did relatively OK in the transfer market this season, my first targets were Veloso, Ashley Young and Villa or Benzema, but having only 12m being increased to 26m I didn't have much chance of getting those. I therefore dabbled with bids and managed to get Veloso to sign for 11m. I couldn't get Benzema or Villa to unsettle or have their clubs Valencia and Lyon to accept any bids for them. I therefore moved my attention to Aguero. I had a bid from Spurs for Fletcher at 12m and I accepted thinking that would give me enough funds for a new striker, which I think is vital considering there aren't many prolific goalscorers in the current squad. Anyway I managed to unsettle Aguero and Aletico accepted 28m with 15% Sell on Clause, which was 2m short as it happens of my funds. I then fast tracked a sale of O'Shea for 6m to raise the funds for Aguero leaving me without cover for the left back.

12192008154923mt6.th.jpg

Future Targets

I'd still like to buy Ashley Young to strengthen the wings.

I need a LB possibly Chiellini or Criscito.

Squad

I am relatively happy with the squad. There are a few old heads that will need to be replaced such as Neville but I think there is enough young talent to fill in over the next few seasons.

12192008155446iw4.th.jpg

Weaknesses

The main weakness in my squad if deffinately at LB, Evra is a fantasic player but I simply do not have any replacements for him if he was injured.

I think another weakness that could arise is on the wings, with injured players such as Giggs, Park and Ronaldo injured and Nani suspended I have had to use Tevez, Anderson and Rooney on the wings in recent games.

Strengths

With the inclusion of Aguero I think that my forwards are a massive strength to my squad capable of scoring goals when at their best, plenty of depth there as Ronaldo can also fill in there if needed.

I think Central midfeild is a very strong part of my squad with Scholes, Anderson attacking minded players and Hargreaves as defensive minded. Carrick and Veloso can play in both roles proving great strength in depth.

The two centre backs Vidic and Ferdinand are very reliable and are deffinately a strong backbone to the team and with Brown and Evans backing them up it could prove to be a great asset to the club.

Tactics

I had great success with these two tactics on my previous save, I lost those tactics so they may be slightly different but I am hoping they are just as successful.

Home

12192008160736og7.th.jpg

Away

12192008160817mx4.th.jpg

I have both wingers on free roles on each tactic and also have them interchanging. The Strikers also interchange with each other.

Form

The teams form isn't great, albeit only being 4 games into the season. I have lost to West Brom embarrassingly and have drawn at home to Liverpool which aren't the most promising results s the squad have had some ear bashings already.

Results

12192008161104vj1.th.jpg

League Standings

12192008161140la6.th.jpg

Just started my third season, coming 2nd to arsenal first season and 2nd to liverpool last. Also lost to arsenal in the fa cup final, and got knocked out of the champions league in the first knockout round by barcelona (having beaten them 0-2 at the Neu Camp, they came back to hammer me 2-4 at OT! i'm blaming my choice of tactics btw). Anyway... back to my point: I've just sold O'Shea to tottenham for 10mill, he was my jack-of-all-trades defensive benchman, ie would replace lb, cb or rb if they ever needed substituting (which is rarely as its usually the midfield i need to replace - unless of course one of the strikers is slacking!) and would normally be my only defender on the bench. But now i need to replace him. Personally, John Heitinga is one of my favourite players, he's either footed and has some very good stats, and no poor ones. I have also been interested in Micah Richards, for obvious reasons, however neither want to leave their clubs at the moment, and club's seem quite fond of them too! So much so that I have had 45mill (+30% clauses) bids turned down for both (probably wouldn't pay that much but still!).

I don't NEED a new O'Shea as such, as i have rafael and fabio as well as a quality regen rb/rwb who has potential to be much better than Lassana Diarra (my current rb), so I will be looking to start these against weaker teams. But I do WANT to replace him, for economy on the bench.

I've got 2 O'Shea's. O'Shea and Miguel Torres. Got him for £1.2m and he's been great for me. I'm going to sell them both soon though. When some good regen defenders come up. Because the only one in the game is Sakho and he's bloody expensive.

Anyone here sold berbatov and bought huntelaar? i did and im dead happy with how well he's doing (10goals in 6 prem games). Just wondering if anyones had similar suceess with him.

Also does anyone give a free role to ronaldo or nani?

I don't. Neither have great creativity.

I do. And they do brilliantly. They don't need high CF.

I'm still fiddling with my strikers, they did quite well last save but I can't seem to get any of them to consistantly score this time around. I find that if you give Berba too much CF he is a pile of **** anyway

He looks bad but he actually plays pretty well. He's made a couple of assists during his few appearances and is pretty solid overall. He can do a job at CB too. He's as good as O'Shea but plays better for me.

Well thats true, I do really need cover for left back so I might get him as a cheap stop gap in January.

have you tried phil neville of everton. he may be a little old but i think he can play in many positions and always do a decent job.

Manchester United - First Season - September Update

Transfer Market

I feel I did relatively OK in the transfer market this season, my first targets were Veloso, Ashley Young and Villa or Benzema, but having only 12m being increased to 26m I didn't have much chance of getting those. I therefore dabbled with bids and managed to get Veloso to sign for 11m. I couldn't get Benzema or Villa to unsettle or have their clubs Valencia and Lyon to accept any bids for them. I therefore moved my attention to Aguero. I had a bid from Spurs for Fletcher at 12m and I accepted thinking that would give me enough funds for a new striker, which I think is vital considering there aren't many prolific goalscorers in the current squad. Anyway I managed to unsettle Aguero and Aletico accepted 28m with 15% Sell on Clause, which was 2m short as it happens of my funds. I then fast tracked a sale of O'Shea for 6m to raise the funds for Aguero leaving me without cover for the left back.

12192008154923mt6.th.jpg

Future Targets

I'd still like to buy Ashley Young to strengthen the wings.

I need a LB possibly Chiellini or Criscito.

Good price for Aguero, but I'm not sure about him with composure of 13. Should have waited for Villa and got someone like Owen in the meantime ;)

You should retrain Brown to play DL and he can cover for Evra if needed. I'll always suggest Armand as a backup for Evra, as Chiellini is too expensive to begin with. Young is great IRL, but isn't amazing on the game and won't improve much more.

Has anyone found a way to make the attacking centre mid more effective? Hargreaves and Carrick have ave ratings of over 7 whereas Anderson, Scholes and Fletcher have ratings of between 6.2 and 6.8. Plus they also get alot more tired than the rest of the team alot earlier in the game. I'd specifically like to get more assists from them as I think Anderson is the only one in my top 10 assists... even the full backs have more. I have focus passing on mixed btw.

Any suggestions?

Good price for Aguero, but I'm not sure about him with composure of 13. Should have waited for Villa and got someone like Owen in the meantime ;)

You should retrain Brown to play DL and he can cover for Evra if needed. I'll always suggest Armand as a backup for Evra, as Chiellini is too expensive to begin with. Young is great IRL, but isn't amazing on the game and won't improve much more.

I already answered that!

And incase Gra reads this: I don't want to sign Owen.

I actually like Aguero, hes very good and will improve, although you know I'm a big fan of Villa and he is great on FM aswell so maybe one day I'll go for it.

As for Brown I'm way ahead of you, I was forced to play him there and he did well so began retraining him.

Anyone got any opinions on Karim Benzema? Been looking at him for a while and he's just publicly blasted the manager for selling Toulalan to Arsenal.

I'm in dire need of a goal machine as Rooney and Tevez have dried up and Ronaldo cant hit the target for toffee.

I already answered that! Yeah, but you can't argue with a goal a game

I actually like Aguero, hes very good and will improve, although you know I'm a big fan of Villa and he is great on FM aswell so maybe one day I'll go for it. Yeah, you probably don't need him now, but you could still try for Torres to do Liverpool in, like I'm trying to

Tough fixtures coming up again:

Sat 21/3: Newcastle (5th), away, Prem

(International break)

Sat 4/4: Everton (7th and not lost at home in the league), away, Prem

Wed 8/4: Real Madrid, home, CL QF 1st leg

Sat 11/4: Spurs (13th), home, Prem

Tues 14/4: Real Madrid, away, CL QF 2nd leg

Sat 18/4: Bolton, FA Cup SF

Anyone got any opinions on Karim Benzema? Been looking at him for a while and he's just publicly blasted the manager for selling Toulalan to Arsenal.

I'm in dire need of a goal machine as Rooney and Tevez have dried up and Ronaldo cant hit the target for toffee.

Benzema is great, one of the best fast ST's in the game.

Great choice if you can't afford the likes of Villa, Torres or Aguero for example. You might be able to get Benzema for as little as £10m now, so you might as well.

anyone bought joe hart from man city??? need a new goalkeeper when VDS contact expires at the end of the season, city bought ochoa who was my number one target!!!!

Ben Foster is a great keeper, and hes free for Man Utd Managers!

Great choice if you can't afford the likes of Villa, Torres or Aguero for example. You might be able to get Benzema for as little as £10m now, so you might as well.

Yarp, Benzema looks great, I tried to get him before I signed Aguero because of Aguero's average composure stat. Benzema will also improve atleast a little bit so if you can get him for cheap (I've seen people get him for his value, 6.5m, once he has fallen out with the club) then get him deffinately.

Big run up there, Real are performing out of their skins on my save as they did in my last one so that culd prove a difficult task, Prem wise I'm sure you aren't worried considering your points gap with Chelsea and the Arse.

how much would you guys go up to in buying miguel veloso? he's valued at 9.75m and in the second season. planning to sell hargreaves to madrid since he hasn't really performed and he's 29, might be the last time to get big bucks from this player. so yea, miguel veloso, how much would you pay?

how much would you guys go up to in buying miguel veloso? he's valued at 9.75m and in the second season. planning to sell hargreaves to madrid since he hasn't really performed and he's 29, might be the last time to get big bucks from this player. so yea, miguel veloso, how much would you pay?

i would only go up to 20 mil. pounds. he is good but there are also other players that are about the same e.g. palombo

After updating Rafael's stats to the researchers suggestion when i started this game, he has turned out amazing for me! His stats don't even look that impressive, but going into the third season he's had young player of the month 3 times in a row.

Looking very strong in third season atm. Managed to get Messi in for 41m and Javi Martinez in for £20m shipped Diarra out for 40m and Michael Owen out for 20m (meaning i'd improved my squad and spent next to nothing!) On top of this i got two fantastic regens in, one of them i have a feeling will be up there with Ronaldo and Messi in a year or two.

Current team is in 3rd season:

GK: Akinfeev/Asenjo/Foster

DR: Rafael/Zapata/Evans

DC: Rio/Vidic/Sakho/Zapata/Evans

DL: Evra/Evans/Sakho

MR/L (Everyone of them can play either side!): Messi/Ronaldo/Silva/Nani

MC: Camacho/Martinez/Veloso (May add someone in if needed, would want a promising bench warmer for now)

ST: Rooney/Benzema/Balotelli/Marquinhos/Saivet (The last 3 are all wonderkids and also provide cover on the wings)

And, i may as well show you my transfers in and out for the three seasons (the main ones anyway.)

Season 1: (Only when typing this up had i realised how much i actually changed my team this first season)

In

Camacho £10.5m

Asenjo 7.25m

Michael Owen (Part Exchange)

Veloso 15m

Zapata 18m

Maruinhos 10m

Saivet

Balotelli 11m

Sakho

Baxter

Fausto Rossi

Lassana Diarra 11m

Out

Hargreaves 30m

Carrick 26m + Michael Owen

Manucho 4m

Oshea 6m

Fletcher 23m

Tevez 35m

Park 6m

Season 2:

Ben Sahar (Free, for selling purposes only)

Guiseppe Rossi 14m

Benzema 26m

Akinfeev 22m

Out

Michael Owen (1.6m Loan Fee. Not purchased during loan.)

Kuszczak (6m)

Simpson (7m)

Lee Martin (3m)

Berbatov (35m)

Van Der Vaart (1.6m Loan Fee. Not purchased during loan.)

Wes Brown (13m)

Benzema (4.1m Loan Fee. Not Purchased during loan. Only loaned out because i had too many strikers, and he was performing badly.)

Season 3:

In

Galvan (3m)

David Silva (23m)

Messi (41m)

Alberto (Promising regen.)

Gonzalez (As above. Will be as good as Messi.)

Javi Martinez (21m)

Out

Vaart (8m)

Sahar (6m)

Rossi (29m)

Owen (20m. Meaning that i earned about 50m for Carrick's transfer in the end, minus Owen's wages)

Lassana Diarra (40m)

Campbell (12m)

Anderson (30m. Didn't turn out the best, and playing him meant i had to base my team around him.)

And after all that, that is it. Lots of ins and outs, but my team is now the best i've ever had in probably any FM game, and with alot of it being wonderkids, it'll only get better.

In total i've spent around £280m, and sold around £345m. Not bad transfer buiseness i think.

Is Ansejo really that good? He looks decent to me but not particularly brilliant. Mentally he's below average and his command of area and communication or whatever it is doesn't look good. I could get him for about £7m but I already have Foster and VDS playing decently and I need a new defender. I don't know what to use my money on. I've only got £2m in the Jan transfer window first season but I'm selling O'Shea for at least £5m+ and I've got loads of excess money in my wage budget.

have anyone signed david villa? how has he been?

I haven't signed him but I would love to, he looks amazing. If you can get him I would go for it.

i would only go up to 20 mil. pounds. he is good but there are also other players that are about the same e.g. palombo

Palombo looks fb but he always seems to go to Man City, if you can't get Veloso for under 20m, try Lassana Diarra, he looks very good aswell.

Archived