FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

I'm in Feb and doing good. Rooney has been on top form but ive looked at the players who's contracts are expiring and Fred was there! I remember him being a god in fm06! Do you guys think i should by? My attack force is unchanged i still have Rooney,Tevez,Berba and Manucho(who i will sell).

Campbell has been great for Spurs in my season, really good. Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov and Campbell should be enough if that what it has to be. But if you can get Villa, Walcott, Benzema, Aguero, Torres, Ibrahimovic then get rid of Berba, cause he is unbelievably inconsistant and lazy.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting quite tempted to buy Benzema now. Think he's the only really decent striker I can buy this coming pre-season. Not sure how good Campbell is, but he'll stay as a backup and I'll send Welbeck off to Aberdeen for half a season anyway.

End of Season Review 2008/09

Competitions

Premier League: Was fairly easy as it usually is on FM. Won it with a couple of games to go, but had played a mix of reserve and youth teams in most of the last 8 games. Great to see Liverpool finish 8th (and they lost at Boro on the last day), so hopefully my pursuit of Torres becomes easier now they aren't in Europe, but unfortunately I still hate all the teams in the CL as City got 4th.

12242008112345wu5.th.jpg

FA Cup: Probably the most annoying part of the season. Already had a squad cut down with Berbatov, Anderson, Giggs injured, although Balotelli had returned just in time so I had a spare striker on the bench. Owen came back a couple of weeks earlier and having scored on his return to make it 5 out of 5 for the season, he sprained an ankle in training and was out for 2 months :mad:. Then the same happened with Foster days before the final and he'd overtaken VDS as no.1 earlier in the season.

Chelsea had no-one injured, but still outplayed them until Evra gave the ball away and crap defending let them equalise. Vidic hit the bar in extra time but we were poor in the shoot out and then the worst possible person scored the winner:

12242008113345wr6.th.jpg

Distraught. The FA Cup is the hardest competition to win I think as I hardly ever got even to the final on FM07 or 08. At least I reached the board's expectations:

Champions League: This was poor. An easy route all the way to the quarter finals having been able to play a lot of reserve players for most of the matches. Had Real Madrid in the quarters and won 2-0 at home, but away we played quite badly and didn't look like getting that away goal and lost 3-0. Real went on to lose in the final to Barcelona.

Here's the overview of the other competitions:

12242008114647pe4.th.jpg

Awards

English Footballer of the Year

2nd - Ronaldo

English Players' Player of the Year

2nd - Tevez

English Players' Young Player of the Year

3rd - Anderson

English Premier Division Manager of the Year

1st - Me

Premier Division Team of the Year

Starters - Ferdinand, Vidic, Ronaldo, Giggs

Subs - Tevez

Champions League Best Player

2nd - Jonny Evans

Champions League Best Goal

3rd - Rooney

Champions League Dream Team

Evans and Veloso

Manager's Player of the Season

1st - Tevez. Not loads of goals, but scored plenty of important ones.

2nd - Ronaldo. Extremely consistent.

3rd - Ferdinand. A rock at the back and got forward to score 9 goals. Vidic was great too, but got sent off a couple of times.

Transfer Targets

After getting a load of youth in last season who should be first teamers next season or at least on the fringe, I'm only really looking to improve the forwards. Hopefully Berbatov will go but I don't want to get anything lower than £20m for him and being injured won't help him. Will probably keep Rooney, but if Real Madrid offer me over £60m then I'll sell. Still after Torres, Villa, Ibrahimovic or Walcott but none are interested yet, so might go for Benzema like I mentioned above.

Park finished his loan and didn't accept Sampdoria's contract, so still have him to offload as well as Manucho. Will look to get a few million from Simpson as well.

And I think like most people, the stadium is being expanded by 16000 seats. Bring on 2009/10.

Here we go for season 3 :)

Transfers for this season.

couldnt resist Messi with only a £40m release clause and he fits in well with Tactics as i have my wingers set to swap with each other during the game which works well sometimes.

Guilherme looks like he will fit in well covering for evra and playing in lesser games.

Overall im happy with My Squad wanted to Zappata but they wanted £45m and couldnt afford that. Campbell seems to be banging them in and im waiting for Rooney to return from his broken leg.

Just won the Euro super Cup 4-0 as well. Dominated 1st half but kept getting ripped apart 2nd half especially attackers getting in behind my defence might have to look at defencive line for future matches.

I can buy Giuseppe Rossi for £7.5m. I already have Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Balotelli, Aquino, Saivet, Welbeck, Campbell, Brandy and Adams. Obviously some of them are youth. But should I buy Rossi? Obviously I'd have to sell someone like Tevez or even let Balotelli go back to Inter. Also should I buy Kolarov for £5m? I have Sakho to backup Evra but he's not much of a fullback.

I don't believe Gra ended his season before me, power playing!

Season 2008/09 - Review

Major Competitions

Premiership - 1st Place

This competition wasn't as easy as I expected, I was 3rd and 2nd for the majority of the season with a bad start to the campaign, losing to West Brom and a hat full of draws. Arsenal and Chelsea pushed me all the way until powering ahead of them both in the latter stages of the season in which I won it quite comfortably in the end with two games to go, even with a little mini blip with heavy away loses to Chesea and Everton.

12242008140234qw8.th.jpg

Champions League - Winner

Had a good run in this competition, the best game probably came with a 3-1 loss away to Roma in the 1st KO round. The second leg at Old Trafford I was hoping for a 2-0 win, with my strikers misfiring, Wes Brown got sent off within 44 seconds. Never-the-less my team went 3-0 up with goals from Rooney, Anderson and Ronaldo before conceding to pull it level on aggregate. Rooney popped up with his 2nd goal, making it 2 goals and 1 assist for him and 4-1 to the team. I beat other teams such as Inter, Arsenal and in the final Chelsea:

12242008141044sf1.th.jpg

FA Cup - Runners Up

The screenshot speaks for itself:

12242008141223jr0.th.jpg

Total dominance all the way through the game, Eboue scored such a flukey freak goal from some sort of cross. Anyway, fair play to them, held out for a draw and finished the game on penalties, with Eboue scoring the winner. Berbatov and Carrick with disappointing penalties. I am a bit gutted with the result but Almunia MotM tells you the whole story.

Other Competitions

Carling Cup - Loss to Spurs in the quater finals

Euro Super Cup - Winners vs Zenit

Community Shield - Winners vs Pompey

World Club Championship Winners vs Saitama UTD

Awards

World Player of the Year

3rd- Ronaldo

English Players' Young Player of the Year

2nd - Anderson

3rd - Aguero

English Footballer of the Year

1st - Ronaldo

2nd - Rooney

3rd - Tevez

English Players' Premier Division Select

Starters: Vidic, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Nani

Subs: Rooney

Premiership Goal of the Season

1st - Frazier Campbell

Champions League Dream Team

Starters: Foster, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Nani, Anderson, Ronaldo

Champions League Best Goal

1st - Nani

Premiership Manager of the Year

1st - Jimmy Valentine (me)

Manager's Player of the Year

1st - Nani - Come on leaps and bounds this season, great number of assists and a handy number of goals.

2nd - Ronaldo - Most consistant performer, great number of goals and always a threat

3rd - Aguero - Scored the late winner in the CL final in his 1st season, if thats not the making of a legend I don't know what is. Scored alot of important goals and was great in big matches

Transfer Market

I think I already have a great squad, strong in every department and young players falling out of my ears. I am a bit weak at DL but Criscito is due to arrive in July. My wings are the weakest part of my team in terms of depth, with the sale of Park to City in January, had to use Nani on injections over the two major finals due to lack of players who can fill in there, so my only target for the summer will be Walcott and it looks like I could get him at a decent price as hes unsettled and injured.

I can buy Giuseppe Rossi for £7.5m. I already have Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Balotelli, Aquino, Saivet, Welbeck, Campbell, Brandy and Adams. Obviously some of them are youth. But should I buy Rossi? Obviously I'd have to sell someone like Tevez or even let Balotelli go back to Inter. Also should I buy Kolarov for £5m? I have Sakho to backup Evra but he's not much of a fullback.

Imo with Rossi's Comp/Finishing he is one of the best quick strikers in the game and 7.25m is a bargain for him. It just depends on how Tevez, Rooney and Berba are playing for you. Hes deffinately worth buying, its like buying goals, but its whether hes going to play in your side. When I had Belotelli, I thought he was better on the wings than up front anyhow, so if none of those youngsters are ready to play in the 1st team and you don't have too many wingers you could buy Rossi and switch Balotella there.

Kolarov's Technical stats are great, but he has some lowish mental stats such as positioning, determintion and work rate so I don't know about him. I have Italian leagues loaded and for Lazio he has performed relatively averagely at 6.70.

End of Season Update Extra

Awards

Fans' Player of the Year: Ferdinand

Best XI:

VDS
Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra
Ronaldo, Anderson, Veloso, Giggs
          Tevez, Berbatov

Subs: Foster, Neville, Evans, Armand, Marcelo, Nani, Rooney

English Premier Division Signing of the Season

2nd - Armand

Regens

Got a few decent ones. These two look quite good and could "become good Premier Division players":

12242008170731ea1.th.jpg 12242008170834wq7.th.jpg

This guy "could become a leading Premier Division player":

12242008170959bn4.th.jpg

I know his crossing is abysmal and some more stats could be better, but with enough training he could be very good.

And my first match of the Premiership 09/10 is Chelsea away!

Ok first season drawing to a close. In the final of the Champions League after a touch and go Qtr final against Real Madrid (2 each at Old Trafford went to their place and spanked them 4 - 0) 1st in the Premiership and in the Final of the FA cup against Chelsea.

Sounds like I've done well but top scorer is the boy Wayne with 19 goals. Ronny has only scored 9 and Tevez and Berba have been a huge disappointment with them both scoring infrequently (Tevez went 1137 minutes without a goal!)

Tosic and Di Maria have been Godly as has Diarra. Moutinho has been a huge disappointment (for someone with great midfield stats his performances dont match up)

Anyone got any tactic tips for me?

Need a back up for Evra and a Striker who can score consistently anyone with suggestions?

Have a look at De Cegile from Juve i think. I got him first season and he's been good cover for evra (got sent off bout 5 times!)

I have some pretty decent regens this time around:

Players that could be 'decent players'

12252008002000dc3.th.jpg

Players that could be 'good players'

12252008002129rc1.th.jpg

12252008002255gy6.th.jpg

Players that could be 'quality players'

This guy could be a beaut, he could be as 'good as Ronaldo'

12252008002857hf0.th.jpg

I know the 2nd GK looks like he could be good and Walker looks like he could be a a gem, but the other two don't seem too likely. Comments would be apprieciated.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

Bah humbug!

The first regen looks crap - too many poor attributes.

The second is slightly better, but positioning 4?!

The third one will not have good enough jumping/strength to be a DC and can't play anywhere else.

The fourth one aint good enough to be a winger. Probably better at MCa although his creativity's a bit low and has crap long shots.

Bah humbug!

The first regen looks crap - too many poor attributes.

The second is slightly better, but positioning 4?!

The third one will not have good enough jumping/strength to be a DC and can't play anywhere else.

The fourth one aint good enough to be a winger. Probably better at MCa although his creativity's a bit low and has crap long shots.

Flamage :(

I'm going to be childish and do it as its Christmas!

New Page! \o/

I always played Anderson as scholes stats dropped

Thanks for the feedback guys, played Anderson against Pompey and in the first league game against Sunderland and he set up a goal in each match.

Unfortunately though, he got injured against Sunderland and is out for 3 weeks so it may be Scholes for a little while then.

Scholes' stats haven't dropped for me at all all first season despite being injured for about half of it. Not sure how much he's going to play next year, but I'm not going to sign another MCa yet. Hopefully can give Possebon some first team matches.

If you keep getting it crashing on something similar, then post a report in the bugs thread. Unlucky, though. Had you finished your 1st season?

I had two games left of my 1st season. The CL Final and the last PL game.

I'll try starting a new game and if it crashes again then I'll post in the bugs forum :thup:

How can i get the best of Ronaldo? I have played now 18 games in first season and i haven't lost yet but Ronaldo has only scored 2 goals in 14 games and i'm not happy with that!

I'm playing 4-4-1-1 and i use Ronaldo in AMR position.

Free role, high mentality, high creative freedom, run with ball often, cross ball mixed, forward runs mixed, long shots rare, through balls rare, high closing down. Adjust those settings in comparison to your tactics and he should score for fun.

I had two games left of my 1st season. The CL Final and the last PL game.

I'll try starting a new game and if it crashes again then I'll post in the bugs forum :thup:

Ouch thats a bit of a bugger! Hope you can relive that season again if you have to restart.

Hello everyone

I have just started a new Man Utd save with the new patch 9.2. I have decided not to bring any new faces to Old Trafford in the first season. I would like some help with who to buy when the season ends. I'm looking for young players who can develop into quality first team players within a few years. I'm also asking for some advice for a quality goalkeeper who can step up for van Der Sar next season.

Any help would be appreciated

I'm playing a 4-4-2 diamond formation

Thanks

You mainly want poeple who will replace the old players like VDS, Neville, Scholes and Giggs.

Asenjo is probably the best replacement for VDS. You already have Rafael to replace Neville. There should be lots of options to replace Scholes, even though Anderson is already there he's a first teamer already, but you'll need someone in a couple of years time when Scholes will be too old. I'm thinking of using Rooney there and there's already Possebon in the reserves who you can use as a backup for the first two seasons. He might become good enough that you don't need to sign anyone else. As for Giggs, if Marcelo's transfer listed at the start you should get him. Walcott's been mentioned a lot recently and would be a great signing, but you already have Rafael and Fabio who should be good enough for the first team in 2-3 seasons and are better wingers than defenders.

I've given up trying to sign anyone in my pre-season. Got enough youth, although will search for some decent regens in the DL and MCd positions, but anyone that I'm interested in is world class e.g. Ibrahimovic or Walcott so they'll need at least another season of unsettling bumming.

Nani and Fabio have got annoyed at me rejecting pitiful offers, but Fabio won't leave and Nani will only go if I can get £40m+ for him.

Ok, I've just started to play this game. It seems like when managing Man Utd, the majority of players' moral is poor and it stays that way for a long time.

I am reaching the end of september and some of my players morale is still poor despite the fact I am unbeaten and won the majority of matches. After winning a match the players' morale will become ok or good and the next day it is back to poor.

Why is this?

anyone else sign toni kroos from bayern munich?

he has been absolute quality for me with and average rating of 7.45 so far this season, in feb 2010. He has forged a great midfield partnership with camacho who gives him license to roam, he is alot like fabregas/scholes, threading balls through and picking out passes know one else could.

for me he is a must sign!!

I'm having a great pre-season so far. Started off slowly with a couple of easy 1-0 then 2-0 wins over San Jose (my feeder club) then Los Angeles as a USA tour, then came back and played away at Cardiff as they won the Championship last season. Won 4-0 with Tevez getting a 10 minute hattrick - the first after a run from Rooney down the right who pulled it back to Tevez on the edge of the area to smash into the top corner, and the third being a beautiful chip. Two of the best goals my team has scored, so a shame it was only pre-season.

Next up I played Barcelona at home as they won the CL last season. 3-0 up at half time with a great performance, but the second was a little poor and two late goals for them saw me hang on 4-3. Then my current first XI played their last game of pre-season with the usual minnows game to keep morale up with a big win, but I got more than I expected. Played Lancaster City (as that's where I went to uni) at home and both Tevez and Ronaldo finished on 10 ratings with 6 and 5 goals respectively and Owen and Anderson also got hattricks whilst Berbatov got two after coming off the bench. It finished 22-0 with 11 goals in each half!

Got two games left and they're against Osaka then Okayama (recently-aquired feeder club) in a tour of Japan, then it's Chelsea in the CS followed by Chelsea away in the first league game.....

Ok, I've just started to play this game. It seems like when managing Man Utd, the majority of players' moral is poor and it stays that way for a long time.

I am reaching the end of september and some of my players morale is still poor despite the fact I am unbeaten and won the majority of matches. After winning a match the players' morale will become ok or good and the next day it is back to poor.

Why is this?

Because you're an unproven manager and they don't trust you. You need to praise/criticise your players' form through player interaction to boost morale or keep it up.
Toni Kroos has been toned down from FM08 IIRC but he still should develop well :thup:
Yeah, looks good on mine even though he's not fully scouted, but he's a German so I won't sign him, plus there's Possebon to bring through into the first team.

Robinho I Play Him Along Side Rooney .. What Set Up / Play Instruction Bring The Best Out Of Robinho .. And For Silva .. I PLay Him AMC Just Behind Robinho & Rooney .. I Put Him As Play Maker .. What Set Up / Play Instructions Bring The Best Out Of Silva

Robinho I Play Him Along Side Rooney .. What Set Up / Play Instruction Bring The Best Out Of Robinho .. And For Silva .. I PLay Him AMC Just Behind Robinho & Rooney .. I Put Him As Play Maker .. What Set Up / Play Instructions Bring The Best Out Of Silva
You probably don't want to play your AMC as a playmaker as they often won't have enough space and too many passes to him could get cut out. Use Rooney as a 'to feet' target man so that he receives the ball quite deep and have Robinho running off him as well as Silva getting forward to support them too.

Alright reds.

Tevez torn his calf muscle in a god damn irrelevant international and is out for 5 months. :(

Just started with the new patch and updated Fabio, Rafael and Possebon but I need an experienced striker like Ruud (he won't join though), someone who can come in for 2-3 seasons max and rotate with Ronney and Berba (and when Tevez gets back), until Welbeck is old enough to join the first team.

Thinking along the lines of Ruud, Inzaghi, someone oldish like that as I only have 10 mill for transfers and need a striker and a winger. Oh and should I get that Di Maria guy is he cheap enough?

Thanks.

Archived