FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to have gone overboard on transfers. I had only planned to buy a couple of players to provide cover to an already top-class united side. Problem is i kept finding great buys.

OUT

Tevez - £30m + 25% sell on fee

Fletcher - £24m + 15% sell-on profit

Hargreaves - part-ex

IN

Aguero - £10m + Hargreaves

Veloso - £11.5m

Balotelli - £14m

Vukcevik - £8.5m

Di Maria - £6m

Criscito - £3m (to join next summer)

Mattock - £2m

Opare - 200k

Mascio - 50k

Ill be using Di Maria on the left with Giggs and play Nani as back-up right winger. Vuckevic will get a go in a few games in both centre-mid and left wing to see where he's best (im looking to use him to replace either Giggs or Scholes). Didn't want to sell Tevez but Madrid were up to their usual tricks and im happy with Balotelli and Aguero as replacements.

Have £22m left + maybe a little more if Park goes to City. Any other recommendations? I was thinking maybe Fazio or Richards to strengthen the defence or Lloris or Mandanda as a long-term replacement for VDS.

Would welcome any comments about these players.

I have Aguero too but I would still say Tevez is my best striker :(. Still, you don't have an all out goalscorer, unless you can get Berbatov to perform, but don't ask me about that, he is a giant lump of donkey balls for me. Evon might be able to help you with him, I don't know. In my opinion though, sell him and get Ibrahimovic or if you can't get him (I don't know anyone who has) get Roque Santa Cruz.

I can get him to perform, but it involves basing my tactics all around him, and I'm not willing to do that because he is too lazy and inconsistant to rely on week in, week out. Without him being the centre pf my tactics he cant slip into any position and therefore, after his terrible tally of 3 goals in 21 games, he is being sold. Hell Welbeck has 6 goals in 8, which is shocking.

Wellbeck looks promising, doing well for me in the cups. Got 7 goals in 8 apps.

Just had a bit of luck in my game, Vela demanded a new contract at Arsenal so they responded by offering him to every club for £5.75m. Seemed a great deal so I offered and gave him £28k a week and he's coming at the end of the season :)

Well Berbatov is performing the best for me, yet still not scoring enough!! Anyone else found that their strikers and Ronaldo can hit the ball from ANYWHERE. Just lost to chelsea 1-0 and Ronaldo, Berbatov and my sub Rooney hit the bar a combined total of 6 and 3 of them were open goals.

Just had a very comfortable 3 -1 win over Liverpool, I think I have finally made my own tactic which works, two matches 1-0 loss to Chelsea, and a 3-1 win over Liverpool, cant wait til my next couple games. Played Tevez up front this game got a decent rating yet didnt score.

get Ibrahimovic (I don't know anyone who has)
It's like sticker albums! "Got, got, got....."
Im into the second half of my first season now and Rodrigo Possebon is actually coming along very nicely. I had him tutored by Scholes along with a fair bit of first team opportunities and he's now dubbed the new Kaka.
He's "the new Kaka" on mine but still won't become amazing.
Crazy gra, (or anyone that is good at scouting), when you say looks for players at 'age is at most 19', is there any point to this?

For example, if I get a scout to scout the nation of Spain without any age restriction, he will find 'x' amount of players at 'age at most 19', and 'y' players aged 20 or above. If I then get the same scout to scout Spain with the age restriction, he will find the same 'x' amount of players at 'age is most 19', but without the y amount of players aged 20 and above.

So doing the method without the age restriction, I can still get exactly the same amount of players aged 19 or below, but then say if I needed an experienced player to come in for some squad cover, I would still be able to find one of those players.

Or, will the scout *specifically target young players* so that there are more youngsters in the report than if I left the age restriction off?

Thanks, bit confused about this one.

Yeah, basically I either know all the good older players or can easily search for them, so get my scouts to explore the reserve and U-18 teams for me. That make sense?
12312008010950ok8.th.jpg

Is it me or has he gotten a bit good? I know he is a bit slow, but surely a promising Vidic/Terry type?

Yeah, looks very good, especially if your scouts are right about him. Doesn't look too good on my game but I'm getting my 20 JP scout on him. I was thinking the other day what my team will be like in several years time when most of the senior players have left and the DCs I put in there were Evans, Ramos and Chiellini with Fazio as backup and I haven't got any of the latter three yet, so will need to prepare something for the future as well as just Evans.

Whilst we're talking about Beevers, read this story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4030966/Beaver-eludes-capture-after-setting-up-home-on-riverbank.html

I'm mainly pointing you to the 6th paragraph after the picture :)

12312008010950ok8.th.jpg

Is it me or has he gotten a bit good? I know he is a bit slow, but surely a promising Vidic/Terry type?

It states 9.2.0, but I am pretty sure I started on the 9.1.0 database, I didn't check.

I have a question . Should i send him on loan or keep him in the reserves ? Where will he develop more ?

For anyone who's got Berbs playing well and scoring, could you give any pointers as to the individual instructions for him. Im really struggling.

He's got 20 goals in 35 games for me :) Top scorer now that Ronaldo is struggling. I just give him these instructions:

Mentality: 17

CF: 17

FWR: Mixed

RWB: Often

Long shots: Rarely

TTB: Mixed

And the rest is pretty much default stuff. I think the reason he scores so much is because I made him learn the 'Places shots' PPM and Rooney drops deep to provide for him and holds up the ball.

Only reason im thinking of getting him is to make a profit,

1 mill straight up

2.5 mill over 24 months

1 mill after 20 league appearences

is the deal

he accepted a 28k contract and i have delayed the deal.

Think i can make a profit?

Always good to get a win over the rivals. And with the reserves too:

12312008191354xe6.th.jpg

Hargreaves in the reserves?

He has been a rock for me in the second season 1st name on the team sheet after Ronaldo, I guess making him 2nd name on the team sheet. He has been in great form scored a few too.

Probably better on loan where he can get first team experience. What did your scouts say about him? I haven't bought him yet, I probably will though.

He's a wonderkid now for me after I bought him at the start of second season and loaning him away to Portsmouth during the second part of the season. Pace still seem a bit too slow there...

Hi, I have just started my 3rd season with united and I've won the EPL in the last two seasons as well as one FA Cup, one League Cup and one Champions League title. This is my squad atm, could you guys have a look at it and maybe recommend if and where I need to improve as well as any good signings.

GK - Steve Mandanda / Edwin Van Der Sar / Asenjo (Reserves)

DR - Gary Neville / John O'shea / Santon (Reserves)

DC - Rio Ferdinand / Wes Brown

DC - Nemanja Vidic / Jonny Evans

DL - Patrice Evra / John O'shea / Paulo De Ceglie

MR - Cristiano Ronaldo / Gonzalo Higuain

ML - Nani / Angel Di Maria

MCd - Miguel Veloso / Owen Hargreaves

MCa - Simon Vukcevic / Anderson / Renauto Augusto

FC - Wayne Rooney / Frazier Campbell

FC - Carlos Tevez / Gonzalo Higuain / Bojan (Reserves)

Hi, I have just started my 3rd season with united and I've won the EPL in the last two seasons as well as one FA Cup, one League Cup and one Champions League title. This is my squad atm, could you guys have a look at it and maybe recommend if and where I need to improve as well as any good signings.

GK - Steve Mandanda / Edwin Van Der Sar / Asenjo (Reserves)

DR - Gary Neville / John O'shea / Santon (Reserves)

DC - Rio Ferdinand / Wes Brown

DC - Nemanja Vidic / Jonny Evans

DL - Patrice Evra / John O'shea / Paulo De Ceglie

MR - Cristiano Ronaldo / Gonzalo Higuain

ML - Nani / Angel Di Maria

MCd - Miguel Veloso / Owen Hargreaves

MCa - Simon Vukcevic / Anderson / Renauto Augusto

FC - Wayne Rooney / Frazier Campbell

FC - Carlos Tevez / Gonzalo Higuain / Bojan (Reserves)

You might as well put Santon, Asenjo and Bojan in the first team as they're old enough and good enough. Surprised if you still use VDS or Neville much and you can probably do without them anyway, as well as O'Shea.

For the challenge as well as he's great, try to get Ibrahimovic.

Hargreaves in the reserves?

He has been a rock for me in the second season 1st name on the team sheet after Ronaldo, I guess making him 2nd name on the team sheet. He has been in great form scored a few too.

My 'reserves' are basically my 2nd XI. Hargreaves was playing as Veloso is currently doing well at MCd, so Hargreaves isn't getting too many games. Same for Carrick, as I could have easily played him in that match. And it's also partly that the only decent young MCd I have is the Nolan regen I posted a couple of pages back and I'm not sure he's up to that standard yet, but he'll get some games in the CL group.

On another note, how does everyone get on against Arsenal and what style do you play in those matches? They beat me twice in the league last season and beat me 3-1 at home in the league after that Leeds match. All their goals had an element of luck and Almunia was awesome, but I won't use them as excuses as we still played crap whether I was using an attacking tactic or a possession-based tactic.

They always seem such a b@stard to play against with Adebayor and RVP (overrated tw@t) usually destroying me, but if they were like that in every other game in the league they'd only drop half a dozen points all season. I should still win the league, but it's these Arsenal games that mean I'm not going to run away with it, as I usually do well against any other big teams.

Just finished my first season. Went reasonably well.

- Won the league on goal difference, with Liverpool in second place.

- Semi-Finals of the Champions League, lost to a last minute away goal by Arsenal.

- League Cup Quater Finals, my reserves lost away at Arsenal 3-2.

- FA Cup, Fourth round defeat to Preston. Was one of those days where we couldn't score.

Transfers.

Signed A. Di Maria for £5.75m. Then D.Santon, H.Saivet, Douglas Costa and K.Papadopalous for the future.

Sold Kuscuzak to Fiorentina for £4.5m and Park Ji-Sung for £7.5m to Lyon.

Team.

GK VDS/Foster

DR Brown/Neville/Rafael

DL Evra/O'Shea

DC Ferdinand/Evans

DC Vidic/Brown

MR Ronaldo/Fletcher

ML Nani/Di Maria/Giggs

MC Carrick/Hargreaves

MC Scholes/Anderson

ST Rooney/Tevez

ST Berbatov/Tevez

Used lots of my younger players, with Fabio/Rafael/Possebon/Wellbeck/Saivet/Petrucci all getting a good amount of opportunities.

Really enjoying the game, it's going to be really good bringing these younger players through. Already got Vela, Witsel and Asenjo coming in for next season. Along with Bojan hopefully.

Neville really still does a solid job at right-back and his attributes have hardly dropped but I think I am going to have to replace him this season.
Have you sold Rafael? And what about Fabio? I wouldn't put Fabio at right back, or even defence, but he (as well as Rafael) would be good back up on the right wing where you might be lacking backup.

I've updated Rafael's stats with an editor but he still doesn't look like he's even close to the first team. If he can't defend I'm not even going to make him a backup. I also may need to replace Neville soon but I don't see any real replacements. The best young RB I've seen is Mazzarini and his determination is 10 or something. The rest are pathetic.

Would have to start a new one. I've updated the Brazilian trio using Nick's (our researcher) data from the Man Utd data thread and Rafael and Fabio are frankly, quite amazing. Rafael is making a strong case for the right back spot, only Wes Browns continued excellence keeping him out, and Fabio supplies excellent cover for Evra. They've even scored a few goals between themselves haha.

Possebon doesn't seem up to much, Phelan only rates him as a 3 star (which is a shame because irl he looks da bombbb ;) ). It doesn't matter anyway, I have Douglas Costa coming in January (I'm in my first season, after restarting on a new 9.0.2 game).

Btw, whilst I'm here, is anybody else finding the Tevez/Rooney combo upfront absolutely lethal? Tevez is shredding the Premier League defences apart atm. I think I'm gonna sell Berbs, he's been very disappointing :/

Hi all.

I am in my second season with United. Failed to win anything the 1st season. I am doing ok in the 2nd, am currently 2nd in the Premiership just 3 points behind leaders Liverpool.

Anyway, I am in January and have just ost Tevez to R Madrid for £43m, I couldn't refuse as it was over his min fee release. Tried offering him a new cntract but to no avail. It also looks like I might lose Berbatov. He has been useless for me this second season with just 1 goal in 23 apperances.

So, who do I bring in to replace them? I will only be left with Rooney as my only Striker (sold Campbell to Spurs end of 1st season for £10m). I think I will have about 65m to bring some players in with. Have signed Saviet for the future.

Thanks.

Hi all.

I am in my second season with United. Failed to win anything the 1st season. I am doing ok in the 2nd, am currently 2nd in the Premiership just 3 points behind leaders Liverpool.

Anyway, I am in January and have just ost Tevez to R Madrid for £43m, I couldn't refuse as it was over his min fee release. Tried offering him a new cntract but to no avail. It also looks like I might lose Berbatov. He has been useless for me this second season with just 1 goal in 23 apperances.

So, who do I bring in to replace them? I will only be left with Rooney as my only Striker (sold Campbell to Spurs end of 1st season for £10m). I think I will have about 65m to bring some players in with. Have signed Saviet for the future.

Thanks.

Balotelli could be good but hasnt performed that well for me,

Ibrahimovic looks good but i havent got him, I got Bojan on a free who looks to have potential. But with the cash you have you could pretty much sign anyone.

Valencia signed Banega for 14.5 million then in January sonld him to me for 3.5 million after transfer listing him for 4.1 million. I think i will loan him out for rest of season then sell him in summer for 20 mill. :D

I am finding a lot of players don't want to come to me though for some reason. Aguero, David Villa, Bojan, Benzema and Pandev have all turned me down.

I have had a bid accepted for Balotelli (12.5m), and have also just signed Dos Santos for 12.75m, although again I see him more for the future.

Anyone had any experience with James Vaughan or Keirrison? Both look quite decent but I don't have any experience with either of them.

Edit: Balotelli rejected my contract offer as well.

Whats the difference between World Player of the Year and World Footballer of the Year?

2 different players won them.

World Player of the Year is where International Managers vote for the winner, if you become a manager of an international team (Sweden in my case) a shortlist is sent to you of the best players in the world and you get to vote for your top 3, excluding players in your international team. Footballer of the Year, I think, is a writers award? Journalists decide it, but I wouldn't put my money on that one.

On another note, how does everyone get on against Arsenal and what style do you play in those matches? They beat me twice in the league last season and beat me 3-1 at home in the league after that Leeds match. All their goals had an element of luck and Almunia was awesome, but I won't use them as excuses as we still played crap whether I was using an attacking tactic or a possession-based tactic.

They always seem such a b@stard to play against with Adebayor and RVP (overrated tw@t) usually destroying me, but if they were like that in every other game in the league they'd only drop half a dozen points all season. I should still win the league, but it's these Arsenal games that mean I'm not going to run away with it, as I usually do well against any other big teams.

I have a better record against Arsenal than they have against me. They are by far the hardest team to beat in my opinion, but I think I have had much better success against them away from home with a wide, direct, defensive, counter attacking tactic.

You could always give Welbeck a few games see how he does.

My scouts are always going on about Pato, you could give him a go.

Wellbeck gets games every now and then. Might have to give him a few more. Milan want something silly like £70m for Pato - I agree he looks fantastic - but I am not paying that much for any player.

hey everyone i have tried requesting extra money from the board but every time they say No!!! any suggestions on how i can get the board to bump up the transfer kitty?

Never asked, not needed it.

Should i try to get Ibrahimovic in a part exchange with Berbatov?

Hey guys,just looking for a bit of help with setting up my 3 main attacking players- Berba, Rooney and Ronaldo. Was hoping people that are getting good performances from them and goals could post the individual instructions for each player including their mentality and creative freedom.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully we can all help each other on this issues as from what I've read I'm not alone in struggling to get good performances from this trio!

That is what I was going to try.

Great minds think alike :D

Hey guys,just looking for a bit of help with setting up my 3 main attacking players- Berba, Rooney and Ronaldo. Was hoping people that are getting good performances from them and goals could post the individual instructions for each player including their mentality and creative freedom.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully we can all help each other on this issues as from what I've read I'm not alone in struggling to get good performances from this trio!

Always give Ronaldo a free role and let him do his stuff.

Archived