FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Giovani Dos Santos has 5-star potential according to one of my scouts, said he'd cost about 15 mill. What do you guys reckon? Probably best to play him as a winger.

I got him 4.5m at the end of second season, so I probably won't want to buy him yet.

Has anyone signed Tosic in your saves?

Given our interest in him irl, I thought I'd try signing him, despite my scouts giving him mixed reviews. He's playing at close to full potential but his stats are decent for a winger. He's performed really well so far, scored 2 in 5 games and made 3 assists, including 2 MoMs. I can't see him holding down a regular squad place but for around £5m he is great back-up for Ronaldo and Nani as he can play both sides.

Morning all, restarted my game for the second patch and finished my first season last night.

Won community shield and super cup

Knocked out of league cup by chelsea early on (they refused to put out a weaker team)

Knocked out of FA cup in quarters by the scousers (who also played a strong team)

Knocked out of the Champions League in the first knock-out by Barca having finished second in my group,

League finished joint 3rd, equal on points with chelsea, but 1 point behind liverscum

The reason for my "problems" was injuries, rooney was out for a total of 9months with two injuries, tevez was also injured for 3months, and nani was out for 9months with a broken ankle or something. Not only that, I (like fergie) have been struggling to find a system to get the best out of the players at my disposal, especially because of berbatov's inconsistency. Finally changed the squad a bit though, so hopefully now it fits my needs.

In the transfer windows I have so far(all pound sterling):

Sold -

berbatov (30mill + 25% -> real) Inconsistent, lazy, slow

park (7.5mill + 25% -> atletico), not up to standard, not getting the games he deserves though

o'shea (10mill + 25% -> newcastle), bench warmer due to versatility, but not technical enough to attack

brown (10mill + 25% tottenham in Jan), very good player, but not getting a look in as I am blooding young CBs, I do like him, and spurs, so glad to see he's doing well (av. 7.25)

kuszack (?) will be sold as he is definately surplus but for no less than 5mill, may have to play him in the cups

Bought -

aguero (20mill), was unhappy at losing maxi rodriguez, plus i'd been buttering him up for a while ;-)

pjanic (7.25mill from lyon...i think), highly rated and PA'ed young bosnian AMC/R bought in Jan, already scored a few goals in the appearances he's made

heitinga (20mill) a player I love to buy, covers all defensive positions but is also capable in attack so a phenomenal benchman

akinfeev (14mill) been kissing all the good GKs asses for ages, leverkusen wanted 30mill for adler (1st choice), so it had to be akinfeev

also bought two or three regens with high PAs, but on the lookout for more

Worth noting is that all my signings were made by offering about 75% of the wage they asked for, and with no signing on fee (never needed in my opinion, unless battling another club for the signature).

Annoyingly Vela (when offered to clubs for 7.5mill, rejected my offer in favour of going to germany, can't remember which club, but was none of the big ones)

My current starting XI, and covering players:

GK Akinfeev / VDS / Foster

LB Evra / Heitinga / Rafael / Fabio

RB Hargreaves / Heitinga / Neville / Rafael

CB Ferdinand / Heitinga / Evans

CB Vidic / Heitinga / Evans

CM Diarra / Heitinga / Fletcher

CM Carrick / Fletcher / Anderson / Pjanic / Giggs

LW Nani / Anderson / Giggs

RW Ronaldo / Pjanic / Anderson

AM Rooney / Tevez / Anderson / Pjanic

CF Aguero / Tevez / Campbell / Welbeck

my current bench:

S1 Foster

S2 Heitinga

S3 Fletcher

S4 Anderson

S5 Pjanic

S6 Tevez

S7 Campbell

ham aka stam

Sounds like you had a unlucky season. Anyway some interesting transfers. Great prices for Aguero and Akinfeev. And do you mean Pjanic form Lyon? He is great. You overpaid for Heitinga imo but nevermind...

Good luck on your season.

ham aka stam

Sounds like you had a unlucky season. Anyway some interesting transfers. Great prices for Aguero and Akinfeev. And do you mean Pjanic form Lyon? He is great. You overpaid for Heitinga imo but nevermind...

Good luck on your season.

I was a tad unlucky, may be forced to sell rooney if his injuries are a sign of what's to come, but I sincerely hope not. I'm very pleased with the Ag and Ak purchases, can't wait to get them performing (at work now :(). That was Pjanic from Lyon yeh, I think I was confused with his club history, think he started out at belgrade... either way he's boznian I think.

I did overspend of Heitinga, but it was that horrible case that I wanted him, and they didn't really want to sell, I stuck to my limit of 20mill for a defender though.

If anybody needs help on Berbatov my instructions are at the top of this page. He's my topscorer :) But I use him as an actual striker whereas Rooney is the support striker. They're both scoring well though.

I did have a brief period of good performance from the berb, but he just isn't the kind of player I want for my team tbh, wouldn't have let him go for less than 30mill though.

Breaking news United sign Tosic and Ljajic IRL.

I have Ljajic in my save looks like he has lots of potential, great for U18s

Excellent, the future's bright indeed. Scouted them for FM, but they didn't seem to have much in the way of potential for me, talented nonetheless though so possibly still worth a go.

Pjanić started at Metz ham_aka_stam, but yes he is Bosnian. :)

I'll correct my post, thanks

How do you pronounce his name anyways? I mean Ljajic.

I'd pronounce it Lah-Jitch, but I guess we'd need someone familiar with Serbian for an official answer

How do you pronounce his name anyways? I mean Ljajic.
Just to make sure there's no confusion, Pjanić started his professional career at Metz but was brought by Lyon at the start of this season. So on FM09 he’s at Lyon, sorry just had to be sure, no confusion and that.

no worries, he is a fantastic player though, and for 7.5mill surely worth it,

definately thought I'd uncovered a gem when I found him as I'd never heard of the fella before

Ljajic is useless in 09. Tosic is better but he's a worse version of Nani of 09. Similar technically and physically but worse mentally. I wouldn't buy either. IRL though Ljajic looks brilliant but alot like Ronaldo in his early days. Loads of fancy dribbling but little end product. He looks like Messi with his dribbling style though. Tosic on the other hand from the Youtube videos apparently seems to be a good freekick taker. They didn't actually show him dribbling or crossing.

Both is not good enough to play in manu squad

Do you mean in the game or in real life.

Because in real life you cant say that untill they have played, Ljajic is only 17.

Also it should be Both are not good enough not is.

And dont write Man U and it should have capital.:D

ljajicun1.th.jpg

What skin is that?

Thanks!

Using 9.0.2 patch. Actually seems worse for me, not creating nearly as much and struggling with goals. Brought in Di Maria & Vukcevic, both 6m. Any idea where Vukcevic plays best though? Crossing stats look good, but his position ratings show him as AMC. So I'm not sure if he should be Giggs or Scholes' replacement.

Thanks for help :)

What skin is that?

Thanks!

Using 9.0.2 patch. Actually seems worse for me, not creating nearly as much and struggling with goals. Brought in Di Maria & Vukcevic, both 6m. Any idea where Vukcevic plays best though? Crossing stats look good, but his position ratings show him as AMC. So I'm not sure if he should be Giggs or Scholes' replacement.

Thanks for help :)

It's Steklo 09. I have Vukcevic and Di Maria as well, Vukcevic plays better on the left wing than in the centre of the park.

Guys how much should i pay for Joe Hart ? I'm in the first season in February .

Get Aknifeev instead i got him for 12.5 million, after the Zenit board stepped in and accepted an offer, only about 4 mill was straigt up and the rest was installments. He has been great

Get Aknifeev instead i got him for 12.5 million, after the Zenit board stepped in and accepted an offer, only about 4 mill was straigt up and the rest was installments. He has been great

CSKA Moscow surely :p . Nah i just want more English guys on my team . He would be a sub to Asenjo .

CSKA Moscow surely :p . Nah i just want more English guys on my team . He would be a sub to Asenjo .

No he went to Zenit in the first season;)

City will probably want alot for Hart considering we are massive rivals, depends on how much you have and if you want any other players.

No he went to Zenit in the first season;)

City will probably want alot for Hart considering we are massive rivals, depends on how much you have and if you want any other players.

I have 23m . I would like to buy Hart now and purchase some other players with teh money i get next season . Would 13m do for Hart ?

I have 23m . I would like to buy Hart now and purchase some other players with teh money i get next season . Would 13m do for Hart ?

Mabye offer 4 mill upfront with 5 mill in installments and 2 mill after 20 league appearences. Somthing like that see what they say.

Has anyone managed to get Berbatov to play anywhere near the level that is expected of him? If so can they post the individual instructions that they are using for him? I've got mixed results from him and his performances should be alot better in my opinion as his actual attrtibutes in the game are very impressive!

Has anyone managed to get Berbatov to play anywhere near the level that is expected of him? If so can they post the individual instructions that they are using for him? I've got mixed results from him and his performances should be alot better in my opinion as his actual attrtibutes in the game are very impressive!

See Evon's post, and you get:

If anybody needs help on Berbatov my instructions are at the top of this page. He's my topscorer :) But I use him as an actual striker whereas Rooney is the support striker. They're both scoring well though.
He's got 20 goals in 35 games for me :) Top scorer now that Ronaldo is struggling. I just give him these instructions:

Mentality: 17

CF: 17

FWR: Mixed

RWB: Often

Long shots: Rarely

TTB: Mixed

And the rest is pretty much default stuff. I think the reason he scores so much is because I made him learn the 'Places shots' PPM and Rooney drops deep to provide for him and holds up the ball.

Season 2 - Manchester United - End of Season Update

Competitions

Premiership

I didn't have the best of time in this years Premiership, had a few troubles with injuries but thats no excuse. Anyway, saying that I broke two records in the course of the season, one was winning 15 games in a row, and the other was scoring in 25 straight ties. In the end after a few good results and a hard run in of 5 games for Arsenal, I managed to win the Premiership quite comfortably.

01022009175006jt4.th.jpg

Also, its great to see Chelsea finish 5th!

Champions League

Considering this is supposed to be the hardest competition in club football it has been suprisingly easy, winning Inter Milan 7-4 on aggregate, Wolfburg 6-1, Barcelona 4-1 and, in the final Bayern Munchen 2-0.

01022009175329hx6.th.jpg

FA Cup

Not the best of seasons for me in the FAC, losing in the 6th roung to eventual winners Manchester City. Harsh when it is a close rival, but still, they also beat Liverpool and Arsenal along the way, so they deserved it really. Well the cup eludes me yet again and is still a major priority to me in the next season.

Other Competitions

World Club Championship - Winners vs LDU de Quinto

Community Sheild - Runners Up vs Arsenal

Carling Cup - 3rd Round vs Liverpool

Euro. Super Cup - Winners vs HSV

Awards

English Footballer of the Year

1st - Ronaldo

English Players' Young Player of the Year

1st - Aguero

3rd - Walcott

English Goal of the Season

2nd - Ronaldo

English Manager of the Year

1st - Valentine (Me)

English Team of the Year

Starters: Ferdinand, Vidic, Ronaldo

European Cup Best Player

1st - Aguero

3rd - Ronaldo

European Dream Team

Starters: Vidic, Ferdinand, Ronaldo, Aguero

Manager's Player of the Season

1st - Ronaldo - Had to be Ronaldo this year, still scored a great number of goals and had the best average rating. Really missed him when he had a long term injury this season, even with Walcott and Nani playing outstanding football.

2nd - Aguero - Won a couple of awards this season and rightly so, scored alot of very important goals and created even more chances for his team mates. Consistant performer and always a thorn in the oppositions side.

3rd - Rooney - Top Goalscorer this season, suprisingly consistant and looking a very good all-round player this season.

Targets for 2010/2011

Competitions

I would like to win the FA Cup in the coming season, it has been really frustrating not being able to claim it yet, that is the top priority. I might put a bit more effort into the League Cup this season aswell, alot of youth are coming through and looking promising so might actually have a chance of going further this year. As for the Premiership I am confident of winning it comfortably again, but I might try and win it a little bit earlier this season.

Transfer Market

In:

Asenjo - I love Foster, but his positioning is letting me down and I am conceding alot of long range efforts which other keepers could be saving. It was a toss up of a few keepers, including Lloris and Curci but I can get Asenjo for a lowly 4m so he is a top target this season.

Striker - First choice is Ibrahimovic, being his international manager I have experienced what he is capable of and he doesn't disappoint, absolutely world class. I need a proven goalscorer and Santa Cruz scored 30 goals for a bottom half team, Blackburn, last season and looks fantastic, just what I am looking for, 2nd choice to Zlatan.

Out:

Berbatov - Came into his own a bit in the latter stages of the season and scored a couple attracting interest from top clubs, but 7 goals in a season just won't cut it under me and even though he is upset and wants to stay, he will be shipped out to make way for Ibrahimovic or Santa Cruz.

Kuszazck - Not getting games and is moaning.

Youth - As I try to rotate my youth, the following players will be sent out on loan for the season: Rafael, Evans, Bostock, Sneijder and Welbeck. Their replacements will be Di Iorio, Ugalde, Campbell, Wilshere and Walker will retain his place in the squad due to lack of wingers.

International Update 2010 - Sweden

World Cup 2010

I was only expected to take Sweden into the second round of the competition, but I was confident I could take them into the Semi-Finals. Well that was before I drew Brazil in the Quater Finals after beating Ecuador in the 2nd Round. But after a very long and hard match Sweden took the lead with an Ibrahimivic shot hitting Ljungberg in the back and bobbling into the back of the net! It was short lived though, as Pato scored the equaliser with 10 mins to go, so into Extra time it went. I managed to win the match in extra time 3-1, throwing the team into a tie with Argentina in which, suprisingly, I managed to scrape 1-0.

By now the team had massive injuries, Ibrahimovic, Kallstrom, Prica, Soderberg were all injured and Martin and Jonas Olsson were both suspended, so it really would of been a shock if I were to beat Spain in the final...

01022009182952kc7.th.jpg

Nope, it wasn't to be, didn't even put up a good fight unfortunately, but hell, I was happy with the run!

International Awards

Best Goal Keeper

3rd - Isaksson

Dream Team

Starters: Ibrahimovic

Subs: Isaksson, J Olsson

Manager's Best Player

1st - Ibrahimovic - I'm sure that was an obvious choice, but I have become a big fan of him this season.

2nd - Kallstrom - Great player, pulled the strings when he was playing and always gave me a better chance of winning the big matches.

3rd - Linderoth © - Was a rock and very creative, spurred the team on before every game and was a great asset to the squad, would of been 2nd if he didnt get sent off in the final.

International Targets

My aim is to take a team and win the European Championships, I don't know if it will be Sweden and due to doing so well in the World Cup I have a feeling a couple of teams will come in for me. With England getting knocked out of the competition by Russia in the 2nd round hopefully I will get a chance to manage them, which would tie in nicely with my long term ambition of leading them into the 2018 World Cup which is being hosted by England.

Roll on 2010/11...

Right, my views on the recent page's posts:

1. Great season again, Jimmy. You can't expect to win the FA Cup in any season - it's too tough. You probably still won't have enough money for Ibrah, but keep bumming him. And well done with the Swedes - bloody Torres again!

2. Ljajic and Tosic aren't good enough in the game, but perhaps Tosic at least might be improved for 9.0.3. IIRR, Tosic's determination is only 10.

3. Ljajic is pronouced "La-zhitch"; or by me at least. Tosic is probably "Tozz-itch" or "Toes-itch".

Archived