FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just got to the January transfer window in the 1st season of my United save and here is my progress so far:

Transfers

In

Marcelo - Real Madrid - £4.4m

Georginio Wijnaldum - Feyenoord - £2.3m

Jose Baxter - Everton - £2.1m

Out

Richard Eckersley - Bournemouth - Season Loan

James Chester - Derby - Season Loan

January Transfers so far

Francesco Bolzoni - Inter Milan - £6m

Franco Zuculini - Racing Club - £120k

Squad Progress

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9585/manchesterunitedjanuarypq6.jpg

Competition Summary

In the League, after a slow start, my players have put together 9 wins in a row to sit behind surprise leaders Everton by 6 points with a game in hand. Liverpool and Chelsea are also up there but Arsenal are too far away to challenge as a result of their inconsistency. Two of the promoted sides are in the bottom three with West Brom having the most success so far this season:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7383/englishpremierdivision2sw9.jpg

The Champions League group stage pitted my team against Bayern Munich, Rangers and Fiorentina and my players finished top of the group. Completing doubles over Rangers and Fiorentina pretty much sealed my passage and a draw with Bayern ensured I finished top. In the knockout round, I have been drawn to play Sporting which means a return to their former club for Nani and Ronaldo.

In the League Cup, my players comfortably got past Plymouth and Tranmere before losing to Tottenham at White Hart Lane as Darren Bent scored a stunner.

The season began with two trophies coming into the Old Trafford cabinet as we defeated Portsmouth and Zenit 2-0 & 3-1 respectively to win both the Community Shield and European Super Cup:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7628/manutdvportsmouthcommunxo0.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7571/zenitvmanutdeuropeansupeq4.jpg

There was another trophy coming to Old Trafford for the first time in the club's history as we destroyed LDU Quito 5-1:

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ldudequitovmanutdworldcyh8.jpg

So guys, what do you think of my progress so far? How good is Bolzoni on other people's games and what other changes to the squad should I make? I have £3m to spend at the moment?

Any feedback and suggestions appreciated

I have just completed season 3 with 2 CL trophies, 3 EPL titles, 1 FA Cup and 2 League Cups. I have played 195 games, winning 152 of them and drawing 25 with 379 goals scored and 109 conceded. I have kind of lost the motivation to continue with this save... Any way to regenerate the motivation or should I try a new game?

My best striker regen is called darren harvey, progressing nicely, plays well with tevez or vela.

darrenharveyis2.th.png

I have loads of youth though, will have plenty stars in the future. Hopefully more english players will become good.

Currently 1st in the league, 3 points clear of arsenal, who have 1 game in hand.

manuleaguedq2.th.png

sorry i mean i am selling for 70m to mega bucks man city.

he has been great for me in the last season. got him for 15m and price went upto 36m. man city came in with a bid of 45m altogether. so i thought id see what i can get for him. transfer listed him and they kept bidding and i kept rejecting saying offer was not good enough and then they came in with 70m.. i accepted and the game crashed. gutted as..

he was great though. he played around 56 games. scored 42 goals. rating of 7.6 (around here cant actually remeber as not home) and was top scorer in the league, fa cup, carling cup, champions league. got player of the year. top goalscorer in europe and his ratings seem to have gone up alot but cant remember what they were on when i brought them.

as i was saying i didnt intend on selling him but they came in with the 45m bid even though he was not listed and 70m is a good amount of money and he can be easily replaced as i have bojan already who got around 38 goals last seaon. vela, santos and saivet that all can fill in and play up front.

plus i like buying players and selling them for heafty profits.. its just a habit ive always had with the game. and considering this would have been 55m profit. it was too good to refuse..

ill just have to go through it all again and hope i can get it again.

Jimmy.. Van Kallen looks incredible, what a player to have. Theres no regen strikers like that on my game yet, sadly.

I am hoping that is the case, maybe he will be the first really prolific striker I have had as Rooney is probably that as of now. Have relied quite heavily on Ronaldo's goals, but to be honest with you, they don't look like stopping any time soon (touch wood) :)

Jimmy

Great update. Looks like you had another good season.

Those regens look great. van Kallen really is a beast :thup:

Tah, overall I'm happy with the season. Hows your game going anyway. I don't remember reading anything from you about it, or atleast not for a long while.

My best striker regen is called darren harvey, progressing nicely, plays well with tevez or vela.

darrenharveyis2.th.png

He does look okay, the only stat that has any worry is Anticipation, and that isn't that bad. He's 22 and that would worry me usually, but Tevez and Rooney have both improved on their finishing and they are both over 22, so there is hope he can become a quality player.

Anyway, I'll probably comment on other stuff tomorrow, just got home from a 14 hour shift and am knackered.

my regen striker superstar had a great full 1st season as my 1st choice striker

84402854vi0.th.jpg

57 games played 64 goals 24 assists

Wonderful talent you got there mate. If you dont mind me asking what tactic are you using? and is it available for download somewhere?

Ive been thinking about changing my tactic to freshen things up abit and switch back and forth with

Tah, overall I'm happy with the season. Hows your game going anyway. I don't remember reading anything from you about it, or atleast not for a long while.

Haven't started with United again after my save file got corrupted. Was tempted but I haven't really got time for much FM atm so am waiting for the January update before starting again :)

pele just out of question, what sort of transfer fees have you been paying for the regens?

when the player is 16 my scouts say 12-16 million so i don't buy. i wait until the player is 17 then my scout says 1-5 million.

when my scouts find a player i shortlist the player and scout him about 4-6 times before i buy him. if any report comes back with 3 stars i don't buy the player. i never agree to buy a player outside the transfer windows so if i find a player in sept i will scout him in oct nov dec and in jan before i buy him.

i hope this helps

What is everyones tactical preferance in the game? Do people try like i do to set the team up more or less the same way Fergie does in real life? Or do you's prefer to go a different way and try new formations?

I've tried to set up 3 different formations based, more or less around the strikers that play. (442 for WR+DB, 4411for CT+DB and a 433 for WR+CT+CR).

I would be really interested if anyone has managed to recreate United's free flowing 433 formation with any success. I have tried but results haven't been as successful as I would like. Trying to get the 3 forwards, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo to produce on a consistant basis and scoring frequently was the main problem. Whilst in the 442's i've also struggled to get goals from my attacking players but i'm good at grounding out 1-0's.

My individual settings for Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez and Ronaldo is where i think i'm going wrong and would really appreciate and suggestions on how to set them up.

Their current individual settings are as follows:

Rooney

Mentality: 14

Creative Freedom: 14

Passing: 10

Closing Down: 18

Tackling: Mixed

Forward Runs: Mixed

Run with Ball: Mixed

Long Shots: Mixed

Through Ball: Mixed

Cross Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball From: Mixed

Free Role: Yes

Hold Up Ball: Yes

Berbatov

Mentality: 19

Closing Down: 11

Free Role: No

Hold Up Ball: No

Ronaldo (always AMR)

Mentality: 17

Creative Freedom: 16

Passing: 16

Closing Down: 17

Forward Runs: Often

Run with Ball: Often

Long Shots: Often

Cross Ball: Mixed

Tevez

Creative Freedom: 17

Passing: 17

Through Ball: Often

Forlan wasn't a flop.. he scored twice against Liverpool when we won at Anfield (in 2002 iirc).. Legend! And bearing in mind it took him 30 odd games to score.. after that he managed about 1 in 3 :)

He just didnt suite the premier league.

I'd disagree with Veron too.. he just wasn't as good as we expected him to be.

Roy Carroll was the worst i can remeber. Alan Smith didn't do much either.

Players well worth bringing back would be Rossi and Pique.

Been very tempted on a number of occassions on my save to sign them but my squads too strong.

To be honest i think Pique is a bit overrated, especially compared to Jonny Evans who looks a better player than Pique ever did.

I might say somthing to the Man United researcher about it actually.

What is everyones tactical preferance in the game? Do people try like i do to set the team up more or less the same way Fergie does in real life? Or do you's prefer to go a different way and try new formations?

I've tried to set up 3 different formations based, more or less around the strikers that play. (442 for WR+DB, 4411for CT+DB and a 433 for WR+CT+CR).

I would be really interested if anyone has managed to recreate United's free flowing 433 formation with any success. I have tried but results haven't been as successful as I would like. Trying to get the 3 forwards, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo to produce on a consistant basis and scoring frequently was the main problem. Whilst in the 442's i've also struggled to get goals from my attacking players but i'm good at grounding out 1-0's.

My individual settings for Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez and Ronaldo is where i think i'm going wrong and would really appreciate and suggestions on how to set them up.

Their current individual settings are as follows:

Rooney

Mentality: 14

Berbatov

Closing Down: 11

Ronaldo (always AMR)

Closing Down: 17

Long Shots: Often

Cross Ball: Mixed

Tevez

Passing: 17

Through Ball: Often

My team plays like Man Utd irl without me even trying except Ronaldo has stopped scoring and getting into the box before. These are my player instructions:

Rooney

Mentality: 16

Passing: 5

Closing Down: 16

Tackling: Easy

Forward Runs: Rarely

Long Shots: Rarely

Tevez is identical to Rooney except he has forward runs on mixed and hold up ball unticked.

Berbatov

Passing: 5

Closing Down: 14

Ronaldo

Mentality: 16

Creative Freedom: 13

Closing Down: 16

Through Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball: Often

Cross Ball From: Byline

Rooney has a goal to games ratio of about 1:2, Berbatov has just above that and Ronaldo has less than that. Ronaldo was on fire at the start of the season but has gone downhill and only gets assists and the occasional goal. I have absolutely no trouble with beating anybody really.

just started my 3rd season...was on the verge of restarting a whole new game but i hold on...

sold tevez for 39m to roma, deem too slow for my squad, got benzema in after negiotation to 70m

sold rio to man city for 35m as he was reaching 32, got richards from man city for 41m...

dont ask me hw i got all these money cause i used installments to get me through :D

Season 2011/12 (4th) - Manchester United - Start of Season Update

Transfer Market

Quiet season really in the transfer market for myself, with not really any massive transfers in or out.

01122009172649jh3.th.jpg

Ins: Ramon van Kallen, he looks fantastic and I have said before that he could be the prolific striker that my team has been missing in previous seasons.

Outs: This is the main area of this transfer window really with Manucho, Simpson, Campbell and Evans all leaving to other clubs, none of them will be able to compete with my current squad and therefore I took the decision to let them continue their careers elsewhere.

Squad

01122009210127ac0.th.jpg

This is, in my opinion, the strongest squad I have had at Man Utd, it had a great mix of youth and experience. There are downfalls in the squad though, as I have a lack of English players, especially in the first XI, but if Sneijder doesn't impress me this season Wilshere will be in anyhow, which is a positive. Either way, I will be expecting great things from this team this season and will be looking to the younger players to improve and prove themselves worthy of the first team squad places they have been given.

Regens

Well, again it has been, overall, a pretty disappointing batch of regens. There have been two though, that have the potential to be 'leading Premiership players' of those there is only one worth noting.

01122009173921je4.th.jpg

He looks very, very promising, but its another DC, I'm going to have top class centre backs falling out of my ears at this rate. Although, he is from Manchester and looks like he will have the stats to become a future captain which, after Neville and Ferdinand go, I will be lacking.

Current Form

Pre-season

Not really much to say about the pre-season, it went very well as it usually does. The team won every game and the younger players looked extremely capable when they played. However, we all know pre-season doesn't mean all that much in terms of form so I won't be relying on those results too heavily.

Premiership

01122009174344qq4.th.jpg

Haven't had the best of starts to the Premiership to be honest, but that comes without saying with me. I drew my first two games of the season but have since won my last 3 games, including a 3-2 win away at Chelsea, who seem to be coming back from last season's disappointing finish.

However, Arsenal are in 9th and I am seriously hoping they stay there!

Targets

I have already stated my targets in detail in my end of season update, so I will keep this brief.

Club

Well, as I have said, I will be expecting great things from the current squad. I think that I have a good enough team in my disposal in terms of both quality and depth to win the quadruple. Although I have not won the treble once yet so perhaps that would be a more realistic target.

International

After a draw with Holland and Slovakia in my last two games since writing my last update, my main target is to qualify for the Euro. Championship, I can and should still do it, but it will be harder than I expected now with only two games left. When or if I manage to get there, I hope to end my Sweden reign on another high, by reaching the semi finals in the competition atleast before resigning at the end of the campaign.

To be honest i think Pique is a bit overrated, especially compared to Jonny Evans who looks a better player than Pique ever did.

I might say somthing to the Man United researcher about it actually.

After watching them both play, Evans looks much more solid.

Yeh he did. If we didn't have Vidic and Rio and he could have had a chance here he would have done well in my opinion, but it was him or Evans who had to go and im glad we kept Jonny. He's going to be a legend for us in a few years.

Anyway.. back on topic. Im just at the end of the 2013/2014 season and still in search of a treble. No FA cup again this year BUT.. could do a league cup treble if i beat Real Madrid in the final.

Yeh he did. If we didn't have Vidic and Rio and he could have had a chance here he would have done well in my opinion, but it was him or Evans who had to go and im glad we kept Jonny. He's going to be a legend for us in a few years.

Well, we all know the English and Spanish Leagues are very different and in my opinion Pique looked a bit out of place in the English league compared to what he has achieved in La Liga. Jonny, though, has looked fantastic and can deal with the pace and power of Premier League strikers. In my opinion, Jonny is the better defender, the only area in which Pique is better is aerially perhaps. Fergie made the right decision.

Archived