FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Thats an amazing achievement mate, undefeated all season :)

I didn't read that bit.

I played 8 seasons on my Man United save and never managed it, FM09 just always gets the better of me. Usually against mid-table sides i'll dominate from start to finish, wont score and then conceed at the end.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't read that bit.

I played 8 seasons on my Man United save and never managed it, FM09 just always gets the better of me. Usually against mid-table sides i'll dominate from start to finish, wont score and then conceed at the end.

it seems the other way round for me.. its either they dominate most of the game and i score in the end.. or i dominate all game and score in the end. upto the end of december i was doing quiet well, hadnt let many goals in and that, but after the jan transfer window, i started leaking a few goals, but seemed to always get the win in the end. my aim for next season, is to hopefully keep the premier league run of undefeated up, and conceed half as many goals.

i cant remember but i think i lost in 2 champions league leg games. and the carling cup semi 1st leg. thats it.

What would you regard as your first 11?

I tend to keep the squad together. Currently playing as Swansea but will take the Man United job when i get offered it. My team in the eighth season was..

GK Foster/Asenjo

DR Rafael

DL Evra/G.Bale

DC Vidic

DC J.Evans

MR Ronaldo

ML Nani

MC A Regen

MC Anderson

ST Rooney

ST F.Campbell/Tevez

so eh, how many times do you think he reloaded his game?? no offence, but an ungelled team doing that well...

im happy when i lose sometimes, although this season it hasnt been much, im in 4th season and lost two games, 1 to sevilla and the other to eh...leeds, who were bottom, i put out my youngsters, went 1-0 up, 4 injuries, lost 2-1. fair play to leeds though, they had the better of the game

What would you regard as your first 11?

gk asenjo (great keeper, plus van dar saar injured loads)

rb rafael/diarra

cb caceras/evans/chester/neville (although nevilel was injured alot)

lb srna/fabio

dm/mf veloso (df in the diamond formation. mf in 442)

cm moutinho (in 442)

am cordaso (diamond) (long shots all the time)

rw saivet/nani/tosic (after jan)/ronaldo (before jan)

lw ba/nani/ronaldo (before jan)

st henry/martins

st owen

and I would swap them over when they are tired and injured. anyone ive missed on the list from my season review was just added in when needed.

so eh, how many times do you think he reloaded his game?? no offence, but an ungelled team doing that well...

im happy when i lose sometimes, although this season it hasnt been much, im in 4th season and lost two games, 1 to sevilla and the other to eh...leeds, who were bottom, i put out my youngsters, went 1-0 up, 4 injuries, lost 2-1. fair play to leeds though, they had the better of the game

mate i never reload the game. whats the point? you could be there forever trying to win each game. constantly saving and reloading. and you cant change a result in real life so i wont change it on the game.

also i didnt go the whole season undefeated. just the premier league. as i said above some where, i think i lost two games in the champions league legs. and the carling cup semi 1st leg away.

How does Chester look for you? I kept faith in all my youngsters but just couldn't get him to develop very much at all. His defensive stats were around 12-15 once he was about 24 so i sold him.

Ill post you a screen shot when I get home as I really dont have a clue what his stats are like at all. I have just been playing him. and he seems to be doing well for me. rafel and fabio have been good too. and Ive not update their stats.

i tried reece brown in a few games. he was ok. nothing good though. and teams seemed to score when he was on the pitch.

evans is a beast.. great on the game. chelsea are interested in him.

Yeh Evans turned into one of the best CBs in the world for me, as he will in real life.

As for Rafael and Fabio, i changed their PA's to -10 and -9 respectivley. Rafaels one of my favourite players at the club now so i had to imporve him :) .. he turned out amazing, won the european defender of the year. Although i have him now in my Swansea side and he's come along nicely without editing. Definatly premiership quality.

what do you guys do for pre season? i do a annual tour of australia and this year did a tour of japan to see if i got a merchandising boost due to having a feeder there, no idea if it worked but having played 11 preseason games in total my team were ready for the league :p

mate i never reload the game. whats the point? you could be there forever trying to win each game. constantly saving and reloading. and you cant change a result in real life so i wont change it on the game.

also i didnt go the whole season undefeated. just the premier league. as i said above some where, i think i lost two games in the champions league legs. and the carling cup semi 1st leg away.

my apologies then, gratz on your season

I didn't read that bit.

I'm the same, I'm mid-way through my 4th season and I haven't had an unbeaten season and won't have the chance to do it this season even though I think I have the best squad I have ever had. However, I do think its possible because I have recently just lost a record of 41 league games unbeaten over the two seasons.

I can see Rio slowly getting replaced by Evans, in a couple of seasons i'd imagine Rio will be kept for the bigger games as Giggs/Nev are now. Vidic is two or three years younger isn't he?

Yeah three years iirc, but Vidic doesn't have the pace of Ferdinand, and neither does Evans. Evans and Vidic are very similar in their style, passion and pure bravery to dive in. Ferdinand adds a quite European type of class and pace to the backline, so I'd imagine Evans will replace Vidic as Vid gets older and we look to bring a pacey defender in to replace Rio, seeing as how well that type of partnership has worked thus far with Rio/Vid. Although, recently, Vidic has looked very comfortable in the Ferdinand role, I've been impressed with his calmness on the ball and bringing it forward like Ferd does normally.

Anyway, FM talk in here :D

I'm the same, I'm mid-way through my 4th season and I haven't had an unbeaten season and won't have the chance to do it this season even though I think I have the best squad I have ever had. However, I do think its possible because I have recently just lost a record of 41 league games unbeaten over the two seasons.

well i honestly dont know how i did it. all i did was use the 442 and 442 attacking diamond formations. have set up all the training. have all coaches on 5 stars apart from 3. they are all light. no training schedule is on intensive. when someones condition is down i will rotate them out with someone else. ive been offering new contracts to the players throughout the season. as i think this improves morale. praising the players in team talks. even when they are 1-0 down (even against the lower teams) i dont say bad team talks. i dunno if these work at all but my players morale always seem to be high. only noticed a few times its not the highest on them.

just luck i think. will see how i fare in season 2. will let u know. i think im gonna sell all the old players, and go for just players under 25. with van der saar, giggs, neville and scholes staying on and finishing their careers there.

whats the most/least

points for:

goals for:

goals against:

everyone has so far.

Evans & Pique would be very similar type partnership to Rio & Vidic, thats why i feel it was a mistake to let Pique go. but hopefully we have a buy back clause or something like that in the deal

Pique isnt good enough for Man United, the future will be Evans and Vidic. By the time Vidic is on the way out we might have another youngster or find another Vidic.

Anyway back to FM, i have found using buy back clauses usefull for players like Rafael, I sold him to Pompy for £6mill and can buy him back for £7 mill if he ever develops in to a top class player.

Tbh I am not sure to believe this guy won everything in his first season, sold more or less the whole squad, brought a load of rubbish and still one EVERYTHING in the first season?

I don't see how that is even remotley possible since buying and selling two players can affect how well the team gel.

yet you replaced a whole squad and managed to do that?

I just find it very hard to believe there is no cheating going on there.

Rafael always develops into a great player if you edit his stats to the researcher's guidelines. Fabio doesn't look too bad for me either. His tackling is 9 now :) I've got them both on their own training schedules.

Rafael looks like he will be a good backup for me, but won't be a first teamer I don't think, especially with my regen Di Iorio. Fabio I will be looking to offload.

Tbh I am not sure to believe this guy won everything in his first season, sold more or less the whole squad, brought a load of rubbish and still one EVERYTHING in the first season?

I don't see how that is even remotley possible since buying and selling two players can affect how well the team gel.

dont believe me, thats ur choice. it dont bother me.

how have you got rooney and berbs set up mate?

So I play 4-4-2 with Bands of Two, but have it personalised a little. But I basically play Berbatov as the FCd if you want to call it that. So he basically has Mixed for Forward Runs, Run with Ball, Cross Ball, Cross From and then Forward Runs and Long Shots are often. I also have him set to Hold Up Ball.

As for mentality I have him 15 notches, 15 notches for Closing down, 13 for Passing, 10 for Creative Freedom.

He has done very well, I am in April and he has just got his 30th of the season for me. Rooney has about 22 goals as well.

Rooney is setup as the FCa.

So I play 4-4-2 with Bands of Two, but have it personalised a little. But I basically play Berbatov as the FCd if you want to call it that. So he basically has Mixed for Forward Runs, Run with Ball, Cross Ball, Cross From and then Forward Runs and Long Shots are often. I also have him set to Hold Up Ball.

As for mentality I have him 15 notches, 15 notches for Closing down, 13 for Passing, 10 for Creative Freedom.

He has done very well, I am in April and he has just got his 30th of the season for me. Rooney has about 22 goals as well.

Rooney is setup as the FCa.

Forward runs are both mixed and often???

That's what I was thinking. Incredibly unlikely especially with the quality of the players brought in and players sold. I won everything in the first season but only made 2 major changes to Man Utd's normal starting line-up in the form of Di Maria and Veloso and only because I have some sort of hold over Arsenal who I met in every final. I really kick their ass everytime I meet them. And unbeaten in the Premiership too? Impossible.

Just started up a fresh United save as my other one got a bit boring, giving Swansea a rest for a while. I've added Tosic and Ljajic to the squad. As usual no major changes.. although i've yet to use D.Srna on any of my games so i've bought him to see whether he matches up to his awesome stats.

In's = D.Srna (£13.75m from Shaktar), M.Balotelli (£8.5m from Inter) and Mascio (100k from Cisco)

Out's = J.O'Shea (£8.5m over 24months to West Brom) and Fabio/Possebon (on loan)

Im fully focusing on my youth and reserve sides, aiming to bring as many as possible through to the first team.

Just ended the 09/10 season, having won the quad (c'mon) i made only a few signings last summer and none in january, in an effort to get the squad to blend and become a solid unit, which they obviously did :D

Is it time to do the same..not spend? or should i go for big names with my 45 mill transfer budget, the agueros of this world, and is there deadwood in my squad? What do you guys think?

here is my squad:

http://tinyurl.com/d3dokf

and my reserve squad has basically all gone, free transfers and selling the deadwood, raised a surprising amount of cash from the sales (7.5 for simpsons and 5 for rafael), so might needs some good back up players to live there and step up when called upon.

any ideas?

Nice team there Talented Yak. Only thing i'd say is that personally i see Witsel more as a CM than a winger. I'd be very tempted to partner Rooney with Rossi and play Balotelli on the right.

Only other thing is prehaps getting a solid RB defensively for the tighter games to rotate with Santon.

Santon is great going forward but i don't find him so good if he comes up against a top player in defence.

But thats just being picky, great season :thup:

i had/have been looking for a suitable RB but the thing is that all the good ones won't come and there seems to b very few good young ones, ideas?

i do normally play witsel with carrick in the middle of the park but was seeing how good he was out on the wing and kroos and camacho were as a partnership in the last match, against burnley.

should i loan adrien and other people who aren't gonna get first team footy with me regularly out? keeping some for back up obviously...

For RB.. Micah Richards is an option, although a costly one. He's great defensively, plays for Man City and he's English though so its not a good combination price-wise.

Otherwise, Lassana Diarra can play there but his marking lets him down a bit.

Other than that im struggling, i usually find about 3 or 4 good regen RBs in my games in the first couple of seasons.

What is it with stupid ARSEnal always scoring in the last damn few minutes.. Starting to p me off a little bit now. Chuffin Adebayor!

What tactics people using on new patch?

What about Mazzarani for RB? Seems a good talent, but isn't developing that fast for me.

Got Bojan on a free, so is it worth selling Rooney/Tevez so he gets to play? Prefer to have a setup with one fast and one target man in my formation. Any cheap alternative for a target man? Think I'll sell Berbatov and bring in someone a bit younger.

For RB.. Micah Richards is an option, although a costly one. He's great defensively, plays for Man City and he's English though so its not a good combination price-wise.

Otherwise, Lassana Diarra can play there but his marking lets him down a bit.

Other than that im struggling, i usually find about 3 or 4 good regen RBs in my games in the first couple of seasons.

imo I find that positioning is more important than marking for full backs, although both would be ideal. Micah Richards' Positioning stats is woeful. IRRR 9?

Ramos is by far the best RB in the game, but I don't know if its just my game but I seem to find that the best regens are defensive ones, mainly fullbacks.

Sergio Ramos is probably the best RB on the game. He's my long-term target because RB is the only position where I really need to improve. I'm still playing Neville with Brown and Simpson as backup.

Neville is still good enough mid-way through my 4th season, so I wouldn't worry about him just yet. He would probably still be my number 1 if it wasn't for the amazing Di Iorio (regen), what a gem he's turned out to be.

What season are you in anyway Evon?

Got £48m to spend on a new save at Utd. Hoping to get Marquinhos for £12m so £36m. Having the Park/Ronaldo/Hargreaves injury problem to overcome. Was thinking of getting a loan AMR in or even a loan AML and switch Nani over to AMR until Park/Ronaldo come back but with £36m to spend I should be able to get a decent AMR or AML or perhaps even AM RL/RLC.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a winger for £36m. Don't want an ageing player or a youth player. Want someone who can go in and do the biz so to speak. :p

in my game the best regens seem to be left backs, i have 3 now who could put evra out the team! 2 english 1 finnish guy, all internationalists!! u21 or whatever. i have also brought in another 2 brazilian MCs, they are awesome, this is actually my second batch of brazilian MCs i have bought, the first was successful with oscar still at the club and getting 7.5s in cup games, unfortunately airton did not make the grade here, and has a transfer arranged to go to Torino.

This year 2012/2013, i won the league with 5 games to go, which was the only place i really performed reasonably well in, 1 loss and a GD of +57 so far, still 3 to go, also won league cup, CWC and community shield, however in the space of four days madrid knocked me out of the CL, and chelsea put me of of FA cup semis, but i am contented as i now play young players in both league cup and fa cup, to get this far was an achievement

sorry about the lack of punctuation, was in a rush

Got £48m to spend on a new save at Utd. Hoping to get Marquinhos for £12m so £36m. Having the Park/Ronaldo/Hargreaves injury problem to overcome. Was thinking of getting a loan AMR in or even a loan AML and switch Nani over to AMR until Park/Ronaldo come back but with £36m to spend I should be able to get a decent AMR or AML or perhaps even AM RL/RLC.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a winger for £36m. Don't want an ageing player or a youth player. Want someone who can go in and do the biz so to speak. :p

balotelli, vela, both will be able to step in,

first season in my game, i bought robert pires (LEGEND), he is actually class, only cost £3mill, averaged 7.4 for the season, lasted until my third season on every other game. but first season i played him every week. i know you dont want an aging player but seriously he is sooo good.

just saw this when looking at my ex players,

scholesfuturecg8.th.png

and chelski just sacked dave jones, funny cos he managed wolves before them and did really well

balotelli, vela, both will be able to step in,

first season in my game, i bought robert pires (LEGEND), he is actually class, only cost £3mill, averaged 7.4 for the season, lasted until my third season on every other game. but first season i played him every week. i know you dont want an aging player but seriously he is sooo good.

just saw this when looking at my ex players,

scholesfuturecg8.th.png

and chelski just sacked dave jones, funny cos he managed wolves before them and did really well

Would probably go for Vela out of those two. How much to prise him away from the Emirates?

Might look at Pires. Did try and get some older players on loan thinking their team wouldn't want to play them as much. :p

is Sakho worth £51.1 mill?
He could be, but I doubt it. When are we talking about? For DC Fazio/Zapata could also be very good for you. :)

Archived