FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Neville is still good enough mid-way through my 4th season, so I wouldn't worry about him just yet. He would probably still be my number 1 if it wasn't for the amazing Di Iorio (regen), what a gem he's turned out to be.

What season are you in anyway Evon?

Yeah he's great for me so I will only replace him if he's declining fast or when Ramos becomes available. Or if Rafael improves enough. And I'm just at the start of Season 2.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon he is worth 18m if you have it, but only of course he has very high potential. If that is the case he could become absolutely fantastic, his off the ball and anticipation could increase alot yet and his pace will improve as he is only 17. I would suggest you play him less important games and give him first team experience in order for him to improve. I think you've unearthed a great regen :thup:

How much does loaning players out do? Is it better to leave them in the reserves with top training facilities?
Top question. Never sure of this myself. Loan players out to get experience but at poorer clubs or keep them at OT with better training facilities but no experience.

Think loaning wins for the experience really.

they mostly complain after returning from loan coz they didn't get much first-team action at that club. I usually, don't loan out my better young players unless some club says that "He'll become a valuable member of the team" even if that means the said club plays in a lower league.

Just won my 5th Premiership title in a row, Lost in CL semi finals to liverpool 2-1 Agg bad times.

Only winning one trophy this season is my least successful season so far.

Signed this youngster for 14M, my mate told me I was mad for signing a 17 year old for 14 Mill but I gave him 8 starts last season and he scored 7 goals :D

Played him in my first game of the EPL this season against Ipswitch and he scored two goals.

Wardy2.png

Talented_Yak, what are the background logos you are using, I know others are the 'GOL' ones.

Looks like some people have started to get some quality regens.

I prefer to loan out most players in reserves because some start to moan that they're unhappy etc.

Same, although i did sell brown, i cant seem to find a suitable replacement for DR/L O shea, that wouldnt mind being on the bench, he has been phenomenal for me from subs and semi regular starts, im now on a full page plus 5 players, although some are really young like 16, and will be moved to u18s after preseason

How about this:

I'm in mid season 2013/2014,

So i have a fair amount of regen players, :)

GK - Sergio Asenjo

Renan (Not Valencian, but another brazilian)

Jacob Stremborg (Sweden, got him for free)

DL - patrice evra

Gullen

Dr- Trevor Birch

Xavier (French(

DC - Rio Ferdinand

vidic

roman vozynuk

paulo sequiera

ali kamis (Last 3 are wonderkids)

Shaun evans

daniel herzog

DM,CM- carrick

hargreaves

atauro vidal

raul garcia

emilio

Matt Ord

adam johnson

dale dixon

AM - Ronaldo

nani

fausto rossi

alexis sanchez

vitor manon

Pena

John fleck

Fernando forestieri

ST- Rooney

tevez

dragomirov

Good young squad

Still struggling to get goals outta Ronaldo and Berbatov but i have defo figured out how to play Rooney, he ended up with 44 goals last season, absolutely delighted with his return of goals. Anyone managed to get Ronaldo and Berbatov scoring more goals yet?

Ronaldo scored 22 goals last season (Season 2) for me. I played with 1 notch down from Wide, Cross rarely, Cross from Mixed, Run with ball- mixed, High tempo.

I've noted that he enjoys cutting inside & score. Also, a fantastic receiver of through balls from CMs (Veloso/Carrick/Joa Moutinho) in my team. :thup:

Berba- offloaded to Real Madrid for 38mil at the beginning of SE2. He was not that great in SE1. So, I replaced with Aguero. :p

Same, although i did sell brown, i cant seem to find a suitable replacement for DR/L O shea, that wouldnt mind being on the bench, he has been phenomenal for me from subs and semi regular starts, im now on a full page plus 5 players, although some are really young like 16, and will be moved to u18s after preseason

I'm not sure which season you're playing and how these players have been transformed.

Here're few names you might already. De Silvestri & Jérôme Boateng.

Boateng is willing to sit on the bench for me (Younger O'Shea :p). Not that great but decent cover. I got him for 6Mil at end of SE1 after offloading Brown for 10Mil to Spurs.

I am in the first season and I got knocked out of the FA Cup by Liverpool in the 3rd round. :(

I won the League Cup beating Arsenal 2-0.

Arsenal have one the league with 3 games to go. They have 93 points, 30 winds, 3 draws and 2 Losses. They have been immense.

I am on 80 points, Chelsea on 70! So us and Arsenal have been the top two all season. I just couldn't keep up with them.

In the Champions League I am due to play Chelsea, after having Juventus and Celtic in the group stage. I beat Villareal in the second stage on GD. Then beat Arsenal, just beat Barcelona.

So good season, I want to the the ECC and I am disappointed not to have one the League :(

Just to add even though Arsenal have one the League, I have played them 5 times.

The first they beat us 6-1 at Old Trafford :( It was devasting. The team collapsed.

Then the league cup final we dominated them, 2-0, first leg of ECC 1-0, second leg 2-0. then 3-3 in the next league game.

So even though they won the league by a mile, we are better then them.

I'm not sure which season you're playing and how these players have been transformed.

Here're few names you might already. De Silvestri & Jérôme Boateng.

Boateng is willing to sit on the bench for me (Younger O'Shea :p). Not that great but decent cover. I got him for 6Mil at end of SE1 after offloading Brown for 10Mil to Spurs.

im about to start season 2013/2014, boateng already has man utd as a favoured club :) could be easier to sign, ive put in a bid of 8.75 million. im expecting to pay more however.

about to offload carlos lazaro (DM), gave him chances last season in the cup but i dont think he will make the grade. also just signed paul scholes at the grand old age of 38, dont think he will be playing much but i wanted him to tutor my new CM/AMC prodigy :) as anderson was already tutoring my brazilian wonderkid

How do people rate Jo? Looking to replace Berbatov, and had an offer accepted of 3.9m as he's transfer listed at Man City.

To be honest, if you want some good stars then go to Man City in 2nd/3rd season as a lot of them have been transfer listed and are available at a low price. They just sold Elano for less than 4m to L'pool.#

Vincent Kompany at Man City.. asking price 3.1m - Yes/No? He's 24. Need a new CB as Rio is getting a bit old.

Thanks.

i had/have been looking for a suitable RB but the thing is that all the good ones won't come and there seems to b very few good young ones, ideas?

i do normally play witsel with carrick in the middle of the park but was seeing how good he was out on the wing and kroos and camacho were as a partnership in the last match, against burnley.

should i loan adrien and other people who aren't gonna get first team footy with me regularly out? keeping some for back up obviously...

as RB you should try Glen Johnson hes absolutely brilliant

How do people rate Jo? Looking to replace Berbatov, and had an offer accepted of 3.9m as he's transfer listed at Man City.

To be honest, if you want some good stars then go to Man City in 2nd/3rd season as a lot of them have been transfer listed and are available at a low price. They just sold Elano for less than 4m to L'pool.#

Vincent Kompany at Man City.. asking price 3.1m - Yes/No? He's 24. Need a new CB as Rio is getting a bit old.

Thanks.

yes. i use to buy him on previous versions. and he is a beast.

Still struggling to get goals outta Ronaldo and Berbatov but i have defo figured out how to play Rooney, he ended up with 44 goals last season, absolutely delighted with his return of goals. Anyone managed to get Ronaldo and Berbatov scoring more goals yet?

How do you play Rooney? I reckon he should be getting more goals than Berba yet Berba is my topscorer most of the time and a slightly more prolific assist maker even though I designated Rooney that role. In my one season fully played that is. And I got Ronaldo to play well for a period of 3 months where he scored a ridiculous amount of goals and grabbed many assists to the extent that he was still top of the MoM's chart in the Premiership overall just from that brief period.

How do you play Rooney? I reckon he should be getting more goals than Berba yet Berba is my topscorer most of the time and a slightly more prolific assist maker even though I designated Rooney that role. In my one season fully played that is. And I got Ronaldo to play well for a period of 3 months where he scored a ridiculous amount of goals and grabbed many assists to the extent that he was still top of the MoM's chart in the Premiership overall just from that brief period.

If can tell me how to upload formations i'll upload the two that i used last season that resulted in winning every trophy possible!!! One is for Tevez+Rooney and the other is for Berbatov+Rooney. What settings were you using on Ronaldo when he got those performances? I think they should never of removed the ability to tell use foward/inward arrows in tactics......like in 08 you could tell Ronaldo to run from the AMR position into a central position with the use of pulling the arrow from AMR to the FC position

Well I won everything too :) My goals were just spread out alot which always annoys me. Anyway you can just take a screenshot of your formations and tactics if you want. And Ronaldo's instructions are:

Mentality: 16

Creative Freedom: 13

Passing: 16

Closing Down: 16

Tackling: Easy

Forward Runs: Mixed

Run with Ball: Often

Long Shots: Rarely

Through Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball: Often

Cross Ball From: Byline

Free Role: Yes

Hold Up Ball: No

It's always the same. Yet he keeps scoring less. It must be my team instructions. Even with Mixed FWRs he still pushes right up almost like a striker. As does Di Maria which really annoys me as I want them in midfield linking the play.

Well I won everything too :) My goals were just spread out alot which always annoys me. Anyway you can just take a screenshot of your formations and tactics if you want. And Ronaldo's instructions are:

Mentality: 16

Creative Freedom: 13

Passing: 16

Closing Down: 16

Tackling: Easy

Run with Ball: Often

Long Shots: Rarely

Through Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball: Often

Cross Ball From: Byline

Hold Up Ball: No

It's always the same. Yet he keeps scoring less. It must be my team instructions. Even with Mixed FWRs he still pushes right up almost like a striker. As does Di Maria which really annoys me as I want them in midfield linking the play.

I'll give this a try but i think i'll change cross ball to rarely and through balls and long shots to mixed. Might encourage him to get into scoring positions more often. Might even try him on cross ball rarely to see if this will encourage him to play slightly more centrally

Anyway here's my settings for Rooney:

Mentality: 14

Creative Freedom: 14

Passing: 10

Closing Down: 18

Tackling: Mixed

Run with Ball: Mixed

Long Shots: Mixed

Through Ball: Often

Cross Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball From: Mixed

Hold Up Ball: Yes

I'll give this a try but i think i'll change cross ball to rarely and through balls and long shots to mixed. Might encourage him to get into scoring positions more often. Might even try him on cross ball rarely to see if this will encourage him to play slightly more centrally

Anyway here's my settings for Rooney:

Mentality: 14

Creative Freedom: 14

Passing: 10

Closing Down: 18

Tackling: Mixed

Run with Ball: Mixed

Long Shots: Mixed

Through Ball: Often

Cross Ball: Rarely

Cross Ball From: Mixed

Hold Up Ball: Yes

I wouldn't recommend putting TTB on mixed because he's useless at them and putting TTB for a player like Ronaldo with his pace will slow him down and make him attempt a futile through ball. Also longshots is bad for him as he's rubbish at them and he will waste loads of opportunities. Putting cross ball on Rarely is better but Mixed is good to be safe. Apparently it is possible to make him drift inside. Not sure how though. Also your instructions for Rooney seem to be making him a FCd but he still got 44 goals? Who played alongside him? And were they further up the pitch?

Also, Berbatov is brilliant for me. Topscorer last season and joint top scorer this season though it has only been 2 games. That and his assists record is phenomenal. He's the targetman of the team too and Rooney is the supplier yet Berbatov outscores and outassists Rooney.

I wouldn't recommend putting TTB on mixed because he's useless at them and putting TTB for a player like Ronaldo with his pace will slow him down and make him attempt a futile through ball. Also longshots is bad for him as he's rubbish at them and he will waste loads of opportunities. Putting cross ball on Rarely is better but Mixed is good to be safe. Apparently it is possible to make him drift inside. Not sure how though. Also your instructions for Rooney seem to be making him a FCd but he still got 44 goals? Who played alongside him? And were they further up the pitch?

Also, Berbatov is brilliant for me. Topscorer last season and joint top scorer this season though it has only been 2 games. That and his assists record is phenomenal. He's the targetman of the team too and Rooney is the supplier yet Berbatov outscores and outassists Rooney.

I play Berbatov up front with him mainly with the same mentality, seems to work really well in terms of all round play as one will come short and other will act as the focal point, and with them having same mentality this is assigned to one or the other but is done on where abouts the play is.

when is the best time to replace Ferdinand, in my current game he is 32 however is becoming less consistent for some reason
Just buy someone to replace him now if you've got the cash. Zapata or Federico etc. Then keep Rio and play him in some games and get him to tutor any youth players you have.

End of Season Report

So I have completed my first season with Man Utd and took out the Champs League and the Premiership. Lost to Chelsea in the FA cup and Arsenal in the league cup.

Overview

overviewoy8.th.jpg

Players

players1yi7.th.jpg

Transfers

transfers1qj8.th.jpg

Summary

Fairly happy with the season, took the Prem and the CL which is good and both Rooney and Berbativ have been excellent this season with 30 goals or more each. Bearing in mind Rooney was injured for 2 months with a broken toe as well I consider that a good achievement.

I need to replace Neville or get a young RB to bring through, Mattock is going to get some games next season and Foster will start now. I dont have my transfer budget yet but any recommendations for players?

Finchy

looks similar to my first season,

I changed to Tevez and Rooney in second season and it Tevez has becoem awsome better than Rooney.

You should try to loan out more youngsters,

You should by Witsel only cost me £2 mill and he is awsome backup pushing fist team and versitile which is useful.

Also Camacho is awsome youngster will be great understudy to Hargreaves etc.

You also might be able to get Bojan on a free, wait untill his contact runs out at Barca runs out then offer him one when he is unnatached, assuming you are on 9.2 patch

Archived