FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

At the end of season 1 and Bojan is available on a free. Definitely going for him but who do I let go? I'm certainly keeping Rooney and giving Campbell a chance as he looks very promising so it looks like it's between Tevez and Berbatov. Which of these two should I sell? Thanks in advance.

Don't sell anyone.

Either loan out Campbell or Bojan or both.

I loaned out Bojan for his first 2 seasons with me to Villa and Spurs where he was awsome. If I didn't loan him out he wouldn't be the player he is for me now.

I wouldn't sell anyone, but if for some reason you are compelled to then sell Berbatov he is the oldest and not quite as good as Tevez or Rooney.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't people post a link to the image, use [.url] & [./url] (without .) instead of image tags, really annoying.

Any chance any admin can edit it? would make the it easier, and not as messy..

Anyways.. need to know if anyone has used bojinov. Looks quite cheap, and might bring him in for a few seasons so I can loan out the youth players for a few seasons.

Tevez, Rooney, Manucho, Welbeck & Campell

Right, I need a DL.. I've sold Evra already, and I only have mattock capable of playing there. Wanted Bale, but he went to L'pool instead. Money no issue really either.

Also an MR to backup Ronaldo, and I'm going to put Nani on left and have Di Maria as his backup due to Giggs's stats dropping quite a bit.

Thanks!

Yeh you dont need him, tevez, rooney and campbell can be/are excellent. Welbeck is really done to how well he develops but can become class. Manucho however should be offloaded, as i do not see a future for him at the club with all your strikers being relatively young, but already far better than he is.

DL: A good player to get is perhaps Marcelo from madrid, dont know if you can afford him but if you can he is awesome.

MR: dunno sorry, all mine are regens apart from balotelli, dont know if you can afford him or not as well as marcelo

I found quality left backs were hard to find until regens develop properly, so I retrained rafael as a left back (where he has played well) and bought a right back, can recommend Santon and Opare here.

As for a right winger, Walcott is quality, luckily he was unhappy and I managed to get him, though he wasnt cheap. Another option is playing nani on the right and buying someone like guardado (sp?), mexican wb/amL, he has been absolute quality for me, often providing the most assists for the season.

Alright, thanks. Think Marcelo just gone to Spurs for 9m or something. I'm going to wait until end of the season, Downing is in Man City's reserves so hopefully be cheaper by then. Then I'll use Nani on right..

Manucho should be going to Newcastle for 6m - he's played decent for me last few seasons, just when he plays, Tevez never scores.

Edit: Bought Jo for 3.5m so I'll loan out Welbeck I think, for DL I've found a few at Juve.. they look decent enough.

hey need abit of help here.

i am currently starting my 3rd season in this save game.

i was thinking of offloading berbatov

his first season he scored 18 in 39 starts average rating of 6.98

second season 15 in 43 starts averaging 7.00

i normally use him as my target man setting instruction to feet.. and i was thinking of replacing him with another player of similiar mould.

i was considering ibrahimovic. hmm but inter refuse to sell him

i had another alternative who is a completely different type of player in the likes of aguero. but looking at his current stats and wad my scouts says, i dun see him being a better replacement then berba.

any views on this? it will be appreciated(:

ps: could someone pm me the ca/pa of both berba and aguero? thanks!

thanks hopey,

and yeah i agree with u.

so wad do the rest think? aguero worth a try?

since i cannot get the likes of ibrahimovic whom i feel is perhaps of a similiar mould to berbatov but inter refuse to sell.

and will there be any other suggestions ppl could offer?

Haven't posted on here in ages, but I've just come to the end of my second season, so time for an update.

End of Season 09/10 Update

Competitions

Premier League:

02132009145603mc6.th.jpg

Quite easy this season, although only winning it with two games to go, but a win over Man City at home sealed the title. Sweet. Managed to give my youth players a few good run-outs as well.,

Champions League:

02132009145712tv6.th.jpg

This looks easy, but in fact this wasn't the actual final. First time I played this I was 2-0 down before Vidic pulled one back just before HT. Nani and Carrick completed the turnaround but Henry equalised in the 94th minute. But Vidic and Rio got one in either half of extra time to win it 5-3. Probably the best game I've ever played on FM09 and the game crashed when processing at the end.

Had a quite easy run to the final. The group stage was easy as ever and beat CSKA Moscow 1-0 in each leg of the 2nd round with mostly reserves again. Then I drew with Inter 1-1 at home, but smashed them 4-0 away to set up a 'war' in the semi-final against Bayern. Didn't play well first leg but was leading shortly before the end when Toni equalised late on to make it 1-1. Played much better in the second leg and despite losing 2-1 at one stage, Anderson equalised and we went through on away goals.

FA Cup:

02132009145521ke5.th.jpg

Another FA Cup final and another loss on penalties in another game I should have won. Unsurprisingly Reina got MotM. Would have been great if I'd won this as we beat Man City and Newcastle away in earlier rounds, as well as a 7-0 mauling of Leeds.

Others:

Won the Community Shield 2-0 against Chelsea and was knocked out of the League Cup by Villa in the Quarter Final.

Awards

My players got a shed load of awards, including the European Player of 2009 awards in December and the end of season awards for the league and Champions League, so I think there's really too many to post here and it's not that important. However, I will detail a few.

Fans' Player of the Season:

- Ronaldo

Manager's Player of the Season:

1st - Rooney

2nd - Ronaldo

3rd - Anderson

A complete turnaround for Rooney considering his first season when I was tempted to sell him. Lots more goals and great play to add to it. Always first choice up front. Ronaldo again was pure consistency. Another who is a must have in the first XI. Anderson's always improving and pulled the strings in midfield. Whereas I often changed round Veloso, Hargreaves and Carrick at MCd, Andy's place was always his.

Squad

Keepers: Van der Sar (retiring), Foster, Asenjo. Youth: Amos

Defenders: Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Armand, Evra. Youth: Rafael, Evans, Rodwell, Ricci (regen)

Midfielders: Hargreaves, Carrick, Veloso, Scholes, Anderson. Youth: Nolan (regen), Wilshire

Wingers: Ronaldo, Marcelo, Nani, Giggs. Youth: Balotelli, Martin, Fabio

Strikers: Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Owen. Youth: Campbell, Welbeck

Looking Forward

Well, I have £72m transfer budget for the coming season. The area I'm least happy about is my strikeforce. Whilst I'll never sell Rooney or Tevez, Berbatov continues to play cr@p and although Owen is English and wasn't troubled my injuries this season I need a greater physical presence to my team, so I'm looking at bringing in a big target man - possibly Santa Cruz, Ibrahimovic or Milevskyi - and a quick striker - possibly Benzema or Vucinic - to add more options.

I also need to start bringing through some of the quality youth that I've got. Jonny Evans has played loads in my first two seasons and has improved immeasurably, so I need to do the same with the likes of Ricci, Fabio, Balotelli and Campbell who didn't get enough games last season. Scholes will continue to be a backup for one more season before he becomes a coach, likewise with Neville.

I still haven't been given the choice of any English clubs to become my new feeder club and I definitely need one to loan out some of my better youngsters to.

I need a new feeder team too after Doncaster got promoted, thanks to my yougsters, so they cancelled the link and now are crap becuase they dont have my players.

I got AEK Athens who my players like but i wont another English one too.

thanks hopey,

and yea i agree with u. so wad do u guys think? worth a try?

coz i cannot get the likes of ibrahimovic but inter refuse to sell.

any other suggestions ppl could offer?

I feel really old, as I don't understand what you said at parts:eek:

I think, if you need anothr striker, then Aguero would be good. Excellent striker, but only get if you need him.

Alrite guys just finished my first season and would like your opinions and advice.

Dominated the premier league from start to finish, winning it with just 29 games gone. Draws came against Chelsea (0-0), Aston Villa (0-0) and the loss against Chelsea (2-0).

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unitedjy9.jpg

Won the Communtity Shield (2-0).

Won the Super Cup (1-0).

Won the League Cup against Bolton (2-0).

Won the Club World Championship (4-1) and (5-1).

Won the FA Cup against Chelsea (3-0).

Lost the Champions League to Liverpool (4-3) on aggregate. Liverpool went on to win it (2-1) against Arsenal.

In season 08 i sold Fletcher to Man city for 30 Mill. Then spent 17 Mill all together on Veloso (10 Mill), Saivet (5.75 Mill), Davide Santon (1.2 Mill) Joe Mattock (2.7 Mill) but he would arrive in 09. Aslo brang in Younasse Sankhare (Free) in January.

My top gaol scorer was Berbatov (36) followed by Tevez (24) Rooney (22) and Cristiano Ronaldo (20)

So far this season ive brought in Sturridge (Free), Bojan (Free), Ismael Delrue for what i thought was free, but is now (4.5 Mill) lol http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=delruera5.jpg. Im wonderin what you guys think of this young Brazilian goalie regen i found aswell he looks amazing http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alonsoao3.jpg. Surely he looks more the capable of takin over from VDS whos stats are going down rapidly.

My squad now looks like this:

GK:VDS, Foster

DR:Gary Neville, Davide Santon (sent him on loan to Birmingham and his stats have shot up), Wes brown, Danny Simpson

DL:Evra, Mattock, O'Shea

DC:Ferdinand, Evans

DC:Vidic, Wes Brown, O'Shea

MR:Ronaldo, PJS, Tevez

ML:Nani, Giggs, Anderson

MCa:Anderson, Scholes

MCd:Carrick, Veloso, Hargreaves

FC:Rooney, Tevez,Sturridge

FC:Berbatov, Bojan, Campbell

Giggs and Scholes need to be replaced with better back up, also have too many RB's and VDS needs to be replaced full stop, as said do u think alonso could do this from now or do i need to give him time? Nobody will take Sturridge or Campbell on loan either. So how could i improve and who with? Cheers guys

You shoul sell Simpson and Neville should be good for first choie for another season or 2, then Santon will be awsome.

You could do with another left winger, not an expensive one as Nani will be good for years. I got Witsel who is more of a CM but can play on the wing too. Also you should try to get Balotelli he will become an awsome striker and is a good winger too.

Sell Evra for 21m in the Transfer window of the 2nd season?

I have Mattock and O'Shea obviously...

No would be a step backwards unless you can find a better left back to buy. But that will be hard a Evra is the best LB in the world. IMO

Most decent young defenders seem to be either Italian or at Italian clubs.. Santon, De Ceglie, Criscito, Mazzarani etc.

Sold Evra for 26m in 2010 and use Mattock & De Ceglie - Neither are world class yet, but I'm sure some decent regens will come sooner or later.

Defence seems to be hardest part to improve on the game - If you look at midfielders & attackers, there's just such a huge amount of players that could play for Man Utd and become World Class.

Criscito is the only one who's really ready from the start. The rest take about 3 or 4 years to develop into half decent players. And I never get to my 4th season with Man Utd. So I don't bother with them. I only buy youngsters who are already good enough. Like Balotelli. And the reason Italian clubs have so many talented players is because Italian researchers are incompetent.

Yeh, Criscito is class, gonna look at bringing him in for next season.

Not been playing much recently but hopefully cause the weather has been rubbish in sydney these last few days gonna get some more hours in today + GF is ill as well.

Trying to offload Fletcher as well.

Also anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement of Anderson? I really dont rate him.

Also anyone have any good recommendations for a replacement of Anderson? I really dont rate him.

Anderson is crap for me, Camacho is quite good but not world class, as is Witsel. I got a couple of world class regens now. But i played Carrick and Hargreaves as first choice up untill 2012, then the regens came through.

Alrite guys just finished my first season and would like your opinions and advice.

Dominated the premier league from start to finish, winning it with just 29 games gone. Draws came against Chelsea (0-0), Aston Villa (0-0) and the loss against Chelsea (2-0).

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unitedjy9.jpg

Won the Communtity Shield (2-0).

Won the Super Cup (1-0).

Won the League Cup against Bolton (2-0).

Won the Club World Championship (4-1) and (5-1).

Won the FA Cup against Chelsea (3-0).

Lost the Champions League to Liverpool (4-3) on aggregate. Liverpool went on to win it (2-1) against Arsenal.

In season 08 i sold Fletcher to Man city for 30 Mill. Then spent 17 Mill all together on Veloso (10 Mill), Saivet (5.75 Mill), Davide Santon (1.2 Mill) Joe Mattock (2.7 Mill) but he would arrive in 09. Aslo brang in Younasse Sankhare (Free) in January.

My top gaol scorer was Berbatov (36) followed by Tevez (24) Rooney (22) and Cristiano Ronaldo (20)

So far this season ive brought in Sturridge (Free), Bojan (Free), Ismael Delrue for what i thought was free, but is now (4.5 Mill) lol http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=delruera5.jpg. Im wonderin what you guys think of this young Brazilian goalie regen i found aswell he looks amazing http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alonsoao3.jpg. Surely he looks more the capable of takin over from VDS whos stats are going down rapidly.

My squad now looks like this:

GK:VDS, Foster

DR:Gary Neville, Davide Santon (sent him on loan to Birmingham and his stats have shot up), Wes brown, Danny Simpson

DL:Evra, Mattock, O'Shea

DC:Ferdinand, Evans

DC:Vidic, Wes Brown, O'Shea

MR:Ronaldo, PJS, Tevez

ML:Nani, Giggs, Anderson

MCa:Anderson, Scholes

MCd:Carrick, Veloso, Hargreaves

FC:Rooney, Tevez,Sturridge

FC:Berbatov, Bojan, Campbell

Giggs and Scholes need to be replaced with better back up, also have too many RB's and VDS needs to be replaced full stop, as said do u think alonso could do this from now or do i need to give him time? Nobody will take Sturridge or Campbell on loan either. So how could i improve and who with? Cheers guys

Wow, I am just amazed how you can win the league with 9 games to spare. I always require up to 35-36 games before I actually confirmed the League. I guess mine is somewhat more realistic, since the League is supposed to be tight rather than a whitewash, right? :p

Now, that is scary since your team is generally the Manchester United team compared to my "rather modified team". I wonder if my tactics are the problem, or that Arsenal/Manchester City (they literally bought a dream team in my save, they outbid me on EVERY single wonderkid/world class player I want)/Liverpool are just better in my game. That said, I already won the treble thrice, but none of my strikers are performing half as well as most of yours. I should provide a screenshot of my third season at the halfway stage

I am currently second in the league, got knocked out in a totally embarrassing 2-0 defeat against Manchester City (who happily bid 49 million on Sakho and got him too). I qualified for the Champion's league, and will play Bayern in the knockout stage. I am also in the League Cup final, and I am keen to win it because I went out of the Q-finals the past two seasons. I also won the Euro cup and Club Champ (which is a joke really).

3rdseasonew6.th.jpg

Personally, I am a bit disappointed at Evans's development and in shock over Rodwell's development. Rodwell is a wonderkid now, and is considered to be a quality player. Batelloli is average, and Camacho is doing a decent deputy job. All in all, I am happy, but just amazed at the performance of some forumers here.

Finished the 2nd season, won the prem and Champs League, lost the FA Cup in Extra time. Won the Super cup and all that as well.

Sold Anderson and Fletcher for 25m and 20m respectively.

I also bought in Fazio as well for 16m and a Firiorillo on a free.

Team currently, any room for improvement?

manutd3rdmi5.th.jpg

ok, im at the start of the second season

in season 1, i won the FA cup and league double

My squad was:

GK: VDS/Foster

RB: Srna/Neville

LB: Evra/O'Shea

CB: Ferdinand/Brown

CB: Vidic/Evans

RM: Ronaldo/Nani

LM: Giggs/Fernandez

DM: Carrick/Hargreaves

CM: Scholes/Anderson

ST: Rooney/Manucho

ST: Berbatov/Tevez

My transfers in were:

John Fleck - £5m

Henri Saivet - £5.5m

James McCarthy - £900k

Davide Santon - £1.6m

Matias Fernandez - £8m

Darjio Srna - £14.5m

Lateef Elford-Alliyu - £5.5m

Josh Lambo - £10k

Connor Rennie - £80k

My transfers out were:

Darren Fletcher - £15m (to man city)

Plus, several loans out.

I used the sexy football tactic, worked well, didnt get too many goals from the strikers (in all comps: tevez - 22, berb - 17, Rooney - 15, Manucho - 4)

So far in the transfer window in season 2, i have signed:

Daniel Aquino - Free

Mamadou Sakho - £20m

Macauley Chrisantus - Free

Bojan - Free

Gai Assulin - Free

Igor Akinfeev - £16.5m

Jack Wilshire - £2.3m

Antonio Valencia - £6m

Daniel Sturridge - Free

My transfers out have been:

David Gray - Free (hamilton)

Richard Eckersley - Free (dunfirmline)

Tom Cleverly - Free (Inverness)

Park Ji-sung - £5m (lyon)

Tom Heaton - Free (brentford)

Magnus Eikrem - Free (no club)

Jame Chester - Free (Livingston)

Sam Hewson - Free (Aberdeen)

Tomaz Kuszczak - £4m (Barcelona)

Jimmy Derbyshire - Free (no club)

Manucho - £4m (Nantes)

John o'shea - £7.5m (Sunderland)

Ben Amos - Free (Hereford)

therefore, my squad looks like this for the second season

GK: Akinfeev/Foster

RB: Srna/Neville

LB: Evra/Sakho

CB: Ferdinand/Evans

CB: Vidic/brown

RM: Ronaldo/Valencia

LM: Nani/Fernandez

DM: Carrick/Hargreaves

CM: Anderson/Scholes

ST: Rooney/Bojan

ST: Tevez/Berbatov

The youngsters who i/my staff rate are:

John Fleck 2*/5*

Regen LM 1*/4*

Regen RM 1*/4*

Regen LM 1*/4*

Regen GK 1*/4*

Daniel Aquino 1*/4*

Davide Santon 2*/4*

Gai Assulin 1*/4*

Jack Wilshire 1*/4*

Danny Welbeck 1*/4*

Henri Saivet 2*/4*

Fraizer Campbell 2*/4*

Regen GK 1*/3*

Josh Lambo 1*/3*

Macauley Christantus 1*/3*

Davide Petrucci 1*/3*

Lateef Elford-Alliyu 1*/3*

Daniel Sturridge 1*/3*

Danny Simpson 2*/3*

Rafael 1*/3*

I have £8m left and im on patch 9.02

Next season, i plan to buy Mattock (i would this time, but he has just signed a new contract)

Possible free transfers are:

Niko Kranjcar

Camacho

Rodwell

Collison

Taarabt

Fiorillo

post your thoughts, and thank you for reading

Ouch imo he is irreplaceable. even for that money. only Messi is on par and then really you want one of each wing.

I agree. Ronaldo has been amazing for me the three years I've been at the club. I still have Gio dos Santos and Ivan Rakitic, though.

So we'll see how it goes :)

It was only two seasons ago that when me and Jimmy (as well as perhaps one or two others) signed Andy from Porto that Evon thought we were talking about Paul Anderson from the scousers.

Haha, I remember that actually :thup: If I recall correctly we got flamed!

But to get back on track I have to say Anderson is probably my most consistant performer, he is absolutely immense, its just a shame he can't really score many goals. When he was at Porto he scored a number of goals IIRR? Hopefully this season he can recapture a bit of that and hopefully possibly improve this area on the next copy of FM.

Looking at my squad, I dont see where I can improve. Foster has been playing well. I have Neville for another season but gonna rotate him with Santon.

I still have Rooney, Berba and Tevez as my strikers and keen to keep them there as well. Rooney was in great form for me at the end of last season getting 10 goals in 5 games.

GK: Foster/Fiorillo

DR: Neville/Santon

DC: Vidic/Fazio/Brown

DC: Rio/Evans

DL: Evra/Mattock

DMC: Hargreaves/Fazio/Camacho

MR: Ronaldo/Witsel

MC: Carrick/Camacho

ML: Nani/Balotelli

ST: Tevez/Rooney

ST: Berbatov/Bojan

I think I have some decent depth around the defence/defensive midfield/midfield area, thinking of bringing in another young left winger, loaning Bojan and playing Balotelli upfront.

Opinions please people.

I signed Giggs and EVS to coach contracts now.

Looking at my squad, I dont see where I can improve. Foster has been playing well. I have Neville for another season but gonna rotate him with Santon.

I still have Rooney, Berba and Tevez as my strikers and keen to keep them there as well. Rooney was in great form for me at the end of last season getting 10 goals in 5 games.

GK: Foster/Fiorillo

DR: Neville/Santon

DC: Vidic/Fazio/Brown

DC: Rio/Evans

DL: Evra/Mattock

DMC: Hargreaves/Fazio/Camacho

MR: Ronaldo/Witsel

MC: Carrick/Camacho

ML: Nani/Balotelli

ST: Tevez/Rooney

ST: Berbatov/Bojan

I think I have some decent depth around the defence/defensive midfield/midfield area, thinking of bringing in another young left winger, loaning Bojan and playing Balotelli upfront.

Opinions please people.

I signed Giggs and EVS to coach contracts now.

Wow your squad is almost exatly the same as mine. Well a couple of seasons ago, I have a few Regens in my first team now. The only difference is I had Akinfeev but didn't have Santon or Fazio. Great minds think alike.

Wow your squad is almost exatly the same as mine. Well a couple of seasons ago, I have a few Regens in my first team now. The only difference is I had Akinfeev but didn't have Santon or Fazio. Great minds think alike.

Fazio is great value, 16m for him and he looks mustard as well and Camacho has really started to play well now as well.

I have like 79m in the bank as well, so loads of cash. The thing about the Man Utd squad is it really doesnt need that much improving. Just need to blood some younger players to replace Neville and Ferdinand. Rio has a few more seasons in him yet though!

Archived