FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

I agree with Gra with most of that, Walcott should definately be in there as either ST or MR, hes one of the best English players in the game. Carragher should never even be the same sentence as Man Utd, use Woodgate as backup if you want 4. I am a big fan of Gerrard as a footballer, but he isn't Man Utd and I don't think Barry is the best MCa, Scholes and Carrick would be better with Barry as an MCd. Cole I hate with a passion so I could be biased but he is a crap defender in FM, and even though LB is quite a weak area in English football I would have to agree with Gra again and use Lescott, or maybe Mattock if necessary.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright then, thanks.

That was just based upon the current English team, so wasn't too sure about some. If Barry is more MCd, then I won't bother, I'd prefer the two United lads. I don't know where Walcott could fit though, is he better on the wings or upfront? An idea to have him and Rooney as the two fast strikers?

Thanks for any tips!

I'm not sure Crouch is the best choice, replace him with Walcott mabye. And get Carragher, Gerrard and Cole out they shouldn't be able to breath the same air as a Manchester United player. Woodgate, Scholes, lescott in. And I'd say Barry is more defencive as others have said. Also look at Hargreaves are RB and RM, I always retrain him for those positions and he is excellent, and he lasts forever, still first team in 2015 for me.

Yeah, will do. Thanks. Like I said, was based upon the current England line-up. I know they're huge rival players, but they're world-class to me, so that's why I'd use them. I buy/sell with rivals on my game, so no issue to me. I sold Carrick, Evra & Rio to Chelsea & Vidic to Arsenal. It's a game to me, I don't take it serious..

Thanks though!

Alright then, thanks.

That was just based upon the current English team, so wasn't too sure about some. If Barry is more MCd, then I won't bother, I'd prefer the two United lads. I don't know where Walcott could fit though, is he better on the wings or upfront? An idea to have him and Rooney as the two fast strikers?

Thanks for any tips!

In my England save, i played walcott and rooney up front with FCa and FCd and swap positions. During 2008, which had about 5 fixtures, walcott scored 7 goals - 4 in Croatia!

Just started a new game with the weegie update, only see it lasting a few days until the new patch proper comes out, and signed some guy from reggina called edgar barreto after i saw that in another game man utd signed him in 2013 for 25 mill! Anyone else signed him? Just played the community shield and he bossed the midfield, scoring two long range goals. Cracker.

So, I have just begun the 2nd season on my United save and here is my season's start so far:

Transfers

In

Matias Fernandez - Villarreal - £9.25m

Sergio Asenjo - Valladolid - £7.25m

Angel Di Maria - Benfica - £2.8m

Paolo Comi (regen) - AC Milan - £1.7m (http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4928/paolocomiregen.jpg)

Aquino - Murcia - Free

John Fleck - Rangers - Free

Macauley Chrisantus - HSV - Free

Gai Assulin - Free Transfer

Daniel Opare - Free Transfer

Out

Tomasz Kuszczak - Fiorentina - £4.2m

Lee Martin - Ipswich - Season Loan

Ron-Robert Zieler - Brentford - Season Loan

Craig Cathcart - Bradford - Season Loan

Rodrigo Possebon - Crystal Palace - Season Loan

Franco Zuculini - Standard - Season Loan

Francesco Bolzoni - Betis - Season Loan

Fabio - Derby - Season Loan

Rafael - Cardiff - Season Loan

Squad Progress

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3899/manchesterunitedseptemb.jpg

Competition Progress So Far

Not much to say from the league apart from 2 wins out of 2 against Tottenham and Reading, both at home which puts me 7th having played a game less due to the Super Cup. Liverpool lead the way with maximum points from the first 3 matches and West Brom surprising up there with the most goals scored. Early days I know but Tottenham haven't made the most promising of starts to the league campaign. The promoted sides Preston, Reading and Q.P.R. have all notched up a victory as well.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7430/englishpremierdivisions.jpg

The draw for the group stages of the Champions League was made and my champions have been given a modest group as CSKA Moscow, HSV and Grasshopper make up my opponents as my players look to win their 3rd Champions League in a row.

The only trophy that my players didn't manage last season was the Carling Cup and they haven't really been given an easy tie to negotiate straight off this time around, a trip to local rivals Manchester City.

The season began with the usual curtain-raiser at Wembley as my side comfortably disposed of Liverpool thanks to a stunning double from Rooney and a remarkable solo effort by Ronaldo. The Community Shield stays at Old Trafford.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3152/manutdvliverpoolcommuni.jpg

Another trophy staying at Old Trafford is the European Super Cup as UEFA Cup holders Barcelona were eventually defeated by the inspired Rooney although our task was made much easier with Caceres' red card before the interval.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/875/barcelonavmanutdeuropea.jpg

So guys, what do you think of my transfer dealings in the summer transfer window? Was there any other positions I should have cleared up apart from the ones I did address? And also, what do you think of my regen from Milan?

Any feedback and suggestions much appreciated.

hey guys, just started a new united game as my other save game wouldnt load anymore, luckily i was only about 5 weeks into the seasion. Ive got my tactics set up, my training set up, now i just need the coaches to get full benefits from this. Is there any coaches you have brought in to make all positions 7 starts or whatever the max stars are for training? Keepers and fitness coaches are right up there already but need to cover every position.

I have this regen who looks pretty decent, got him for free of AC Milan.

desideri.png

But he seems a bit slow for a winger his natural position, whats the best way to improve his speed. He has the stats to be a winger, crossing, dribbleing, creativity, work rate, technique. Or would it be worth making him play in another position. He could be a good replacement for Ronaldo who is now 30!

Cheers

Edit:Sorry its a big screen shot.

Salmonskinroll

There is a thread that tells you what attributes 7 star coaches need, you can find it from the sticky thread telling you where to find the threads you need.

Started a new game with Utd. Have just finished Pre Season winning all of my games. Haven't done much in the transfer market, I bought Arshavin in but thats it, don't think the first team really needs much improvement. I loaned out the entire reserve team, I doubt any of them will be good enough so all my scouts are out searching for youth, hoping to mainly get British players but I wont pay big money.

Started a new game with Utd. Have just finished Pre Season winning all of my games. Haven't done much in the transfer market, I bought Arshavin in but thats it, don't think the first team really needs much improvement. I loaned out the entire reserve team, I doubt any of them will be good enough so all my scouts are out searching for youth, hoping to mainly get British players but I wont pay big money.

Sounds like a good start, never had Arshavin but i guess he is good cover for the wings, Nani is awsome so no doubt he will strongly compete with Arshavin. You are right that the first team doesnt need alot of improvement, mabye a keeper at the start of the second season, i would recommend Akinfeev, and a young RB.

Good to see you want to get British players too.

i started a new game with man utd ages ago and didnt go on it for quite a while, but 1 day i did and i realised i made a VERY,VERY STUPID MASTAKE! i sold ronaldo to REAL MADRID for 50mill, I DONT KNOW WHY, but i was only in november and he was leaving in january but hes now got some amazing momentem and is putting in 2goals a game and is my 2nd topgoalscorer.

Too bad. Not many people as good at him, to be honest. Be lucky to find a replacement, maybe Messi? Don't know.

Would anyone buy Ben Arfa for 9m? Arsenal just offered him to me. Doesn't look that good at the moment, but I'm sure he would develop into something world-class.

Alright, thanks then. Think I'll bring him in for the 2012-13 season. He's not getting any games at Arsenal and is relatively unhappy, so I expect his value to drop even more in the next 4-5 months. Is he best at AMC then?

Cheers!

Started a new game with united and as a ifan i aim to resolve the can ronaldo/tevez/berba/rooney play in the same team. I plan to use the following formation and tactics

67792952.th.png

<a  href=30398271.th.png' alt='30398271.th.png'>

My only worry is that i am a bit vulnerable and my team is unbalanced as i have too many attacking players. Has anyone ever tired this before and was it a success or a failure.

Just started a Man Utd game but not only win trophies I want to make them by far the Richest and most powerful club ever. I intend to do this by buying young players and flogging them on for vast profits.

Only bought Mamadou Sakho and Yury Zhirkov, hopefully that should do me the 1st season.

I am considering offloading him as well, I am in the middle of the 3rd season but reckon I can get decent money gor him and buy in a young kid.

I do have Rooney, Tevez and Marquinhos, Bojan and Balotelli as well so I am not short of young strikers.

This is nuts. Ive won 13 competitions in 4 years, firstly i sign Bojan on a free at the end of the first season and Mike Phelan reports he is struggling to motivate himself to play for me. I think its 2nd season no big deal and he performed well anyway after his 1st season he no longer had that problem. Then at the end of the 3rd i buy Messi and he to has problems motivating himself to play for me when his manager has such low reputation in the game? Now its the start of the 4th ive won 13 competitions and Messi is still having problems motivating himself to play for me when his manager has such low reputation in the game? What the hell??!!

I'm in charge on England now, and Rooney just netted a hat-trick vs Serbia in Euro Quals 2012.. he's now the top England goalscorer with 51.

England looks like a nice challenge for anyone who gets the chance. I don't think it will be too hard to win trophies, although some players don't have age on their side, the majority of the squad are around 30, and I don't think there's many England youngsters that could play at International yet.

Edit:

Quarters vs Spain: Losing 3-1, brought on Ishmael Miller, A Young & Milner - Miller gets 2 to bring it back to 3-3 and then Rooney gets one in ET. Yay.!

Semis vs Romania? eak. They won vs Portugal, but goals from Miller and Bentley helped me win 2-1.

Final vs Serbia - They won Italy 2-0, but I won them 5-0 in group stage.. Just won 3-0, goals from Bentley, Young & Gerrard.

Yay. I guess the World Cup will be much harder, but bring it on!

Any other big changes on 9.3.0? Who's had stats or PA changed etc?

I might get it a whirl, It's just I want to try win World Cup with England firstly.

If only a few players have been changed, then it doesn't seem worthwhile, to be honest. Quite annoying already 3 patches out.

Any other big changes on 9.3.0? Who's had stats or PA changed etc?

I might get it a whirl, It's just I want to try win World Cup with England firstly.

If only a few players have been changed, then it doesn't seem worthwhile, to be honest. Quite annoying already 3 patches out.

Here are all the major changes i could see to PA.

Anderson -10 PA to 176 PA (which is good but i don't think Nani's should be higher his is 180)

Jonny Evans -9 PA to 174 PA :)

Carricks PA is now 172 which is an increase i think.

Rafael, Fabio, Ljajic, Petrucci, Welbeck all -9

Zoran Tosic is 175 PA, not sure if this is an increase.

Darren Gibson now has PA 141 which is a bit of a decreas which is dissapointing

Also

Heaton's PA decreased a bit

O'Shea's PA reduced by 5

Others that have a pretty much negligble change in PA

Hargreaves has been reduced by 2

Manucho reduced a little

Kuzchak reduced a bit

Wes Brown decreased by 1

Neville increased by 2

Good to see the thread blossom whilst i was off the forum for awhile.

With the new patch i decided to return as always start a new game with the final update. Be hard to beat success of my last longterm game on the 9.1.0 patch (never patched 9.2.0) but gonna give it a good go.

I think i will stick with my usual tactic. Possibly sell one or two fringe players at the start, but nothing major. And bring in mainly youth players. Going to rely on the starting squad as I have faith in Fergi's work. All he left me to do is improve the future of the team :)

Archived