FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Rotation. Both keepers excellent so more competition for the place in goal so to get the place they have to perform

In well and good in theory but this is a game, not quite the same as real life as you don't really get the competition of places ‘vibe’ from players that you might in the real world scenario. :thup:

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got asenjo, he preforms well enough to be first team for me. Doesnt conceed to many goals but then doesnt always have many saves to make either.

He definately aint the best keeper, but is a good choice for a reasonably priced one. Refusing to pay £20m for a keeper so waiting to try get akinfeev on a free :D

Manchester United Review Season 1 and Season 2 – using unchanged 9.3.0 database –

- finally finsihed it, hopefully it allworking as done it over a couple days when had time using word

I will do competition summary for both seasons together, but the Transfers are split between the two completed years, and the season 3 summer window.

I apologise now if the screenshot links aren’t very good, had problem with imageshack constantly resizing them to be smallish, gave up checking if worked properly in end.

As always I didn’t want to make wholesale changes to the united squad in the first season, I wanted to use those that we have available and have a team with a strong bond already built.

Due to the tactic I wanted to use, and the overabundance of talent that we have, I knew I couldn’t keep all happy as I am not someone that is willing to rotate in every match.

As such I sold some of our players that are on the fringes of the team so squad harmony wasn’t disrupted, and I actually like to see the players do well even if they are not in my own team, they don’t deserve to rot away in reserves.

Transfers- Season 1

Transfers link

Players purchased

Henri Saviet – £3m

Vincent Acapandie – £250k

Fausto Rossi – £2m

Carlos Vela – £15m

Sofiane Feghouli –£ 4.8m

Lucas Trecarichi – £2.3m

Sergio Asenjo –£ 8.25m

Levan Kenia – £3m

Mauricio - Free

Davide Santon – £1.6m

John Fleck – £2.8m

John Bostock – £3.2m

Players Sold

Wes Brown - £7.5m to Newcastle

Tomasz Kuszczak - £3.5m to Werder Bremen

John O’Shea - £6m to Sunderland

Darren Fletcher - £26m to Man City

Ji-Sung Park - £9m to Valencia

<others went for under £1m>

Transfers- Season 2

Transfers link

Players purchased

Adriano - £5.5m - (only ever paid £500k, other clauses not met prior to being sold)

Giuseppe Rossi – £19.75m

Zakari Boucher – Free

Vincenzo Fiorillo - £2m

Henrique - £5.75m

Theo Walcott – Free <got to love him only having a 1 year contract at start :) >

<Also purchased some regens>

Players Sold

Adriano - £23.5m to Hoffenheim (wont ever see £10m of the clauses I doubt)

Ben Foster £6.5m to Barcelona (didn’t want to sell, but he started to whine)

Lee Martin - £1.5m to Wigan

Manucho - £1m to AaB

<let lots youth go on a free or under £1m and some loans>

Transfers- Season 3

Transfers link

Players Sold

Theo Walcott - £30m to Inter (turned down AC Milan and Real Madrid- I rejected offer from Arsenal)

Michael Carrick - £20m to Inter (turned down AC Milan & Athletico Madrid – I rejected offers from Arsenal, Chelsea and Real Madrid)

Danny Simpson - £5m Gladbach

David Gray - £1.3m to Reading

Ben Amos – £2.1m to Hibernian

<some free transfers and under £1m - and lots of loans>

Players purchased

Lionel Messi – £35.5m (Buy out clause on new contract- sold Theo due to purchasing Messi)

Adel Taarabt - £750k – could be a good player in future

Benito Nicolas Viola - Free

Nicolas N’Koulou – Free

Konstantin Rausch – Free

Edgar Berreto - Free

Formation and Players

I’m very offensive player and use a 4-1-3-2 formation which uses a single MC, 2 wingers (at the AM positions) and an AMC. This can put a lot of pressure on the defense but the squad is good enough to cope with it most the time.

Team Formation

This is first team squad for Season 3:

GK: Asenjo / VDS (I need another keeper but no point buying now as Afkinev is cheap/Free soon)

DR: Rafael / Fabio/ Hargraeves

DL: Evra / Fabio

DC: Ferdinand / Evans

DC: Vidic / Henrique

MC: Anderson / Hargraeves

AMR: Ronaldo / Tosic / Vela / Ljajic

AML: Messi / Nani / Tosic / Ljajic

AMC: Rooney / Anderson / Ljajic

FC: Tevez / Rossi

FC: Berbatov / Vela

Competitions

Premier League:

2008/2009 – Winner with 98 points. Won League by 9 points - (Relegated – Stoke, Wigan, Hull)

screenshot

2009/2010 – Winner with 100 points. Won League by 18 points (Relegated – Doncaster, Preston, Reading)

screenshot

First season it was very tight for a long way. I begun to pull away towards the end of the season but didn’t secure the title till a couple games from the end.

Second season I won comfortably. The best part was Chelsea missing out on champions league, though Man City got in so no real reason to celebrate. For a long time Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea were on same points with Liverpool way behind but then they all kept dropping points and Liverpool capitalized. But title was never in question.

League Cup:

2008/2009 – Lost 2-1 to Fulham in 4th round (Man City won Trophy)

screenshot

2009/2010 – Winner – Beat Chelsea 4-3 in final

screenshot

FA Cup:

2008/2009 – Lost 2-1 to Southampton in 4th Round (Chelsea won Trophy)

screenshot

2009/2010 – Winner – Beat Chelsea 2-1 in final

screenshot

Champions League:

2008/2009 – Winner – Beat Barcelona 3-2 aet in final

screenshot

2009/2010 – Winner – Beat Real Madrid 2-1 in final

screenshot

World Club Championship:

2008/2009 – winner – beat Pachuca 1-0

screenshot

2009/2010 – winner – beat Boca 3-0

screenshot

Finals were easy but low scoring. The semi finals were very easy, including a 10:0 win over Al Ain in 2009/2010. Not much to say about this.

European Super cup:

2008/2009 – winner – beat Zenit 2-0

screenshot

2009/2010 – winner – beat Liverpool 4-1

screenshot

Nothing much to say here. Single game competition that has little relevance, but always nice to thrash the scousers.

Community Shield:

2008/2009 – Winner – Beat Portsmouth 1:0

screenshot

2009/2010 – Winner – Beat Chelsea 2:0

screenshot

Player Performances

2008/2009 - screenshot

2009/2010 – screenshot

Goal Scorers

2008/2009

Carlos Tevez – 33 Goals (avg. 1 goal in every 1.6 games)

Dimitar Berbatov – 27 Goals (avg. 1 goal in every 1.8 games)

Wayne Rooney – 26 Goals (avg. 1 goal in every 2 games – from AMC)

Cristiano Ronaldo – 13 Goals (avg. 1 goal in every 3.3 games - from AMR)

Carlos Vela – 10 goals (avg. 1 goal in every 3.9 games – mainly from wings and as a sub)

2009/2010

Dimitar Berbatov – 28 (avg. 1 goal in every 1.3 games)

Carlos Tevez – 27 (avg. 1 goal in every 1.8 games)

Cristiano Ronaldo – 27 (avg. 1 goal in every 1.7 games – from AMR)

Giuseppe Rossi – 23 (avg. 1 goal in every 1.9 games)

Theo Walcott – 12 (avg. 1 goal in every 3.1 games)

Wayne Rooney – 11 (avg. 1 goal in every 3.9 games – From AMC)

Assistors

2008/2009

Zoran Tosic – 23

Wayne Rooney - 15

Carlos Tevez - 15

Nani - 13

Cristiano Ronaldo – 11

Dimitar Berbatov – 11

2009/2010

Cristiano Ronaldo – 16

Carlos Tevez - 15

Carlos Vela – 14

Nani – 14

Zoran Tosic – 13

Owen Hargreaves - 11

Michael Carrick - 11

Most Man of the Match

2008/2009

Carlos Tevez - 11

Dimitar Berbatov - 11

Cristiano Ronaldo - 7

Wayne Rooney - 5

2009/2010

Dimitar Berbatov - 8

Giuseppe Rossi - 7

Carlos Tevez - 7

Cristiano Ronaldo - 7

Theo Walcott - 5

Top 5 - Avr Rating

2008/2009

Cristiano Ronaldo – 7.29

Carlos Tevez – 7.21

Wayne Rooney - 7.21

Dimitar Berbatov – 7.17

Nani – 7.16

2009/2010

Cristiano Ronaldo – 7.53

Dimitar Berbatov – 7.33

Theo Walcott – 7.24

Guiseppe Rossi – 7.22

Nani – 7.22

Premier League Summaries(top 3 of all teams):

2008/2009

Top Scorer – Tevez with 27 (Robinho 24, Rooney 19)

Top Assister – Tosic with 16 (Tevez 14, Zhirkov 12)

Most MoM – Robinho & Tevez on 9 (Ronaldo 6)

Highest Rating – Robinho 7.41 (Ronaldo 7.34, Tevez 7.32)

2009/2010

Top Scorer – Giovinco & Berbatov with 21 (Ronaldo 18)

Top Assister – Ashley Young with 15 (Tevez 12, Ronaldo + many others 11)

Most MoM – Drogba/Berbatov/Robinho/Ronaldo all with 6

Highest Rating – Ronaldo 7.51 (Giovinco 7.46, Berbatov 7.39)

Summary

The first season wasn’t the most successful due to early cup exits, I quickly learnt that though we got good youth players it is extremely risky to give them no senior players in the team. Due to this in second season I barely had a reserve team due to loaning the players out for lots of match practice. Due to having more experienced team in the second season playing the cups success came much easier.

On patch 9.3.0 it seems harder to get wingers scoring lots of goals compared to 9.1.0, however this appears to be made up by the strikers being much more deadly. That said in the second season Ronaldo done amazing from the wing and picking up goals, maybe it took time to adapt to the tactic.

Rotating the team appears to cause a bit more of an issue with consistency of the players, but in general if you keep winning the team doesn’t suffer to much in this regards.

The Twins turn into quality attacking fullback options and they improve at a very quick pace if they get lots of first team experience, if anyone wants exact details of the yearly CA increases I will be in a position to provide them by tomorrow I believe.

Tosic also is quality as shown by his assist tally in the first season, Ljajic will take longer to get up to level due to not getting him till January of second season but he looks like he could develop into a good player also, and due to covering all the attacking midfield positions it is a good backup player.

I find myself in a position where I may have to think about selling some more players to let others play more often. Main area this is will be in attacking midfield positions, and possibly I will need to lose one of my forwards. That is going to be very difficult to decide on who, if anyone I should let go, however if I don’t sell anyone I feel that I cant purchase any already developed players and will just have to stick with what I got and get more 16/17 year old regens for the future.

I personally see myself playing this as a long term game and cant see quitting before I played 20+ seasons. See much fun left to be had in this game :)

Wow, thats a beast of an update, looks good though.

Aye, I hate how long it ended up but it my fault for not saying anything about the first season before (probably as embarressed with the cup runs :p ) so I put a lot of effort to try make it at least presentable. So thanks :D

Because it is a new patch, with new players and match engine i thought i put extra depth to it, that way it could help others in regards to what players they want to sell or keep (ie look at Tosic, so many assists first season it crazy).

Hopefully it will help people a little and everyone doesnt just ignore it because it long. lol

Can't believe you got Walcott and then sold him. Then you also sold Foster and Carrick! Keep it English!

Good luck with all the crappy 'new challenge' moaners in the third season :p

Great results in all your competitions and nice to see Arsenal aren't invincible on 9.3. 100 points in them Prem :thup:

Can't believe you got Walcott and then sold him. Then you also sold Foster and Carrick! Keep it English!

Good luck with all the crappy 'new challenge' moaners in the third season :p

Great results in all your competitions and nice to see Arsenal aren't invincible on 9.3. 100 points in them Prem :thup:

Walcott really isnt that effective for me a found, he done good but had much better forward options, and if you look at Walcott he cant actually improve anywhere because almost all his attribute points are tied up in the physical stats. I was most disappointed at seeing this and as the wings were about to get Messi the best option to get rid of quick was Walcott. May need to let another one go yet, but I really dont know who I would remove from the wingers so i cant do that yet. heh

Carrick went because i had no way to keep him happy, had him moaning at me for 6months even though he was getting numerous games. He wanted a key role in the team which he would never get. Due to real life favourtism I wanted Anderson playing alot, so the MC role gets taken by him and Hargraeves who wont be going anywhere. One English MC is enough and can be kept happy (espeically with him moving to rightback when needing to rest players)

Foster, I was actually very upset at selling him, but he wanted to move and as much as i tried he didnt want to stay. However I purposely let him go where he did as I figure he will sit on the bench for alot of the first few seasons and therefore he will want to move again, at which point i snatch him up :D

Currently the third season moaning has been "Want a better contract" which im not worried about, everyone gets a better contract 3 months into the season, and then for players i want really happy they get another years extension in march sort of time. Only one i couldnt keep happy was foster, and carrick was beginning to turn but he was a "key role" player so no wonder he got a bit annoyed.

Check My team 3rd season!

GK: Lobont/Asenjo

RB: Santon/van Putten (regen)/Xaing (Regen)

CB: Vidic/Fazio/Rodwell

CB: Ferdinand/Fazio/van Putten

LB: Evra/Marcelo

RM: Ronaldo/Walcott/Messi/Ronaldino

CM: Javi Martinez/Possebon

CM: VDV/Guilherme/Messi

LM: Messi/Ronaldinho/Fernadez/Henry/Walcott/Ronaldo

ST: Rooney/Seedorf (Regen)

ST: Adebeyor/Huntelaar

what you think?????

Check My team 3rd season!

GK: Lobont/Asenjo

RB: Santon/van Putten (regen)/Xaing (Regen)

CB: Vidic/Fazio/Rodwell

CB: Ferdinand/Fazio/van Putten

LB: Evra/Marcelo

RM: Ronaldo/Walcott/Messi/Ronaldino

CM: Javi Martinez/Possebon

CM: VDV/Guilherme/Messi

LM: Messi/Ronaldinho/Fernadez/Henry/Walcott/Ronaldo

ST: Rooney/Seedorf (Regen)

ST: Adebeyor/Huntelaar

what you think?????

i think your weakest link in the team is your strikers. adebayor doesn't seem too good for me and huntelaar is just not world class. i think you have a MCa and a MCd. your MCa is fine but you could get a better MCd like camacho, de rossi or perhaps other regens. marcelo is also not very good at defending although heis alright attacking wise.

i have just started a new one with united

bought :

caner erkin (cska moscow) 3.7mil

tomas necid (cska moscow) 9.25mll

richarlyson ( sao paulo) 2.5mil

daniel carvalho ( cska moscow) 2.5 mil

sold:

darren fletcher ( man city) 20 mil

all my new signings are prospects for future

Hi guys i have a problem. Ronaldo wants to leave the club and got to Real Madrid. I really dont want to sell him. He wont accept a new contract offer and is getting increasingly annoyed by me keep rejecting offers from Real for him. Is the anything i can do to keep him?

Hi guys i have a problem. Ronaldo wants to leave the club and got to Real Madrid. I really dont want to sell him. He wont accept a new contract offer and is getting increasingly annoyed by me keep rejecting offers from Real for him. Is the anything i can do to keep him?

Don't reject the bids, simply re-negotiate to something ridiculously high. Over time C.Ronaldo should become happy again, then you can renew his contract. :thup:

What Tactics are you guys using? I have tried a flat 4-4-2, with one of the MC defensively minded, and obviously the wingers pushing forward. This was played with short passing, and a quick tempo. Still no luck, seem to struggle having most of the possession, and now tevez hates me lol. I have tried moving the wingers to AML/AMR and this just made me more open to attacks. Anyway got an ideas??? Thanks guys!

The possession factor isn't a definite reason; the opposition could have more possession simply because they are playing defensive, keeping the ball trying to soak up pressure and hit you on the counter. What you should look at as-well is the amount of chances you create, what type of chances etc.

Also one game doesn’t make or break a tactic, you need at least eight games if not 10-15 games to test something properly.

sorry for the double post. I am trying to replicate how united play in reality, flat back 4, with left back (evra) and right back (neville, brown, rafa) pushing forward.

DL (Evra) - Pushing forward

DR (Neville/Brown/Rafa) - pushing forward

DC -

DC -

CM (Carrick) - Spreading the play out to ronaldo/nani/park on the wings

CM (Scholes/Fletcher)- Spreading the play out to ronaldo/nani/park on the wings as well, and playing killer balls through to forwards

AMR - Ronaldo - pretty much give a free role to roam on the right wing, cut inside etc

AMl - Park/nani - attacking the wing, providing crosses for berb/rooney/tevez

FC (d) Rooney - playing just off the centre forward

Fc (Berb) - waiting for cross, playing centre forward role

This is the tactic I am aiming to produce, and all I get is pathetic possession, when I am playing a short passing style game, but with scholes and carrick given a more mixed passing style to get the ball out wide etc

my 4-1-3-2 formation is shown in the long post i made above... though every position has some sort of tinkering in the settings.

It actually seems to emulate alot of uniteds style well, and not to many balls are put in at head height, instead the wingers cut in and either pass it through the defense or run in and shoot.

Not watching full 90 minute matches though, really should to see how well it doing between highlights, however just not felt like watching it :)

Only real problem i have with it is no matter how defensive i make my centre backs at times they still end up standing 20-30yrds in the opponents half leaving no one back (though least they dont do this when opposition is behind them)

how do you guys only buy a few players?

i end up buying loads every season havent bought many over the age of 25 (srna only) building for the future, but i now have way too many players.

I hate seeing a player i could have got for a good price go to a rival and then become one of the best or do really well - so frustrating

I would like to see how the AI does with Man Utd so im holidaying unemployed and taking note of utd :) Using patch 9.3 database.

So far im half way through the season 2013 - 14. Mike Phelan took over when fergie retired.

Premier league titles won - 2010, 2012, 2013 still seem to be a dominate force in this area.

We have had a good run in the FA cups, won 2009, 2010, 2013

Only the won Champions Cup - 2013

The league cup has been largly dominated by chelsea but we won in 2013

Super cup - 2008, 2013

Club world championship - 2008, 2013

2013 has been a stormer of a year!!!

Transfer dealings - season -

2008 - 09 - nothing happend really, just youngsters loaned out for free - no money spent no money gained.

2009 - 10 - hargreaves, rafael, o'shea, manucho all sold, many loans of young players, money in - £23M, players in - phil jagielka, luke steele, money spent - £5.75M spent

2010 - 11 - nothing much this year again youngsters loaned out, couple of the older ones sold, £1.5M in - £0 out

2011 - 12 - getting a bit busyer now :) players out, jagielka (tidy profit made bought for £5.75M and sold for £10.75M) luke steele - free, berba £4.3M, Danny Simpson £4.2M, total money in £19M, players bought - D Bent, D Congre, K Westwood, L Acosta - money spent £19.75M

2012 - 13 - Out, Campbell, Possebon, Tosic, Park, Kuszczak, total £11.5M - In - Kirkland, McArthur, Lalanna, Insua, total £16.75M

2013 - 14 - Out, Vidic, Fabio, Acosta and a few other young ones Total £22.5M - In - Diego Buonanotte £17.5M

all in all seem to be gettting better and have finished in top 4 every season so far :D

I'm sorry if any of the above players are regens, also just a basic overview, happy to do as best i can to answer any questions, unfortunatly dont have any separte save games before March 2014 due to holidaying whilst working.

how do you guys only buy a few players?

i end up buying loads every season havent bought many over the age of 25 (srna only) building for the future, but i now have way too many players.

I hate seeing a player i could have got for a good price go to a rival and then become one of the best or do really well - so frustrating

i have exactly the same problem! the only plus is that my reserve squad is running away with their league because of the quality u20s that are in there.

but one of them might be called up because Carrick wants a new challenge, anyone know how much i could get outta him? i don't really want to sell him to chelski or arsenal because of the obvious rivalry, and not city if poss.

I would like to see how the AI does with Man Utd so im holidaying unemployed and taking note of utd :) Using patch 9.3 database.

So far im half way through the season 2013 - 14. Mike Phelan took over when fergie retired.

Premier league titles won - 2010, 2012, 2013 still seem to be a dominate force in this area.

We have had a good run in the FA cups, won 2009, 2010, 2013

Only the won Champions Cup - 2013

The league cup has been largly dominated by chelsea but we won in 2013

Super cup - 2008, 2013

Club world championship - 2008, 2013

2013 has been a stormer of a year!!!

Transfer dealings - season -

2008 - 09 - nothing happend really, just youngsters loaned out for free - no money spent no money gained.

2009 - 10 - hargreaves, rafael, o'shea, manucho all sold, many loans of young players, money in - £23M, players in - phil jagielka, luke steele, money spent - £5.75M spent

2010 - 11 - nothing much this year again youngsters loaned out, couple of the older ones sold, £1.5M in - £0 out

2011 - 12 - getting a bit busyer now :) players out, jagielka (tidy profit made bought for £5.75M and sold for £10.75M) luke steele - free, berba £4.3M, Danny Simpson £4.2M, total money in £19M, players bought - D Bent, D Congre, K Westwood, L Acosta - money spent £19.75M

2012 - 13 - Out, Campbell, Possebon, Tosic, Park, Kuszczak, total £11.5M - In - Kirkland, McArthur, Lalanna, Insua, total £16.75M

2013 - 14 - Out, Vidic, Fabio, Acosta and a few other young ones Total £22.5M - In - Diego Buonanotte £17.5M

all in all seem to be gettting better and have finished in top 4 every season so far :D

I'm sorry if any of the above players are regens, also just a basic overview, happy to do as best i can to answer any questions, unfortunatly dont have any separte save games before March 2014 due to holidaying whilst working.

Most of your transfers suck, but I do admire you keeping the same team for many years.

My ninth season (2014/2015) of Manchester United ended with the team finally getting a 2nd place in the Premier League after 8 consecutive titles. However, I lost because my team managed to lose to Sheffield United 1-0 at home, where I sprayed 37 shots, 29 shots on target. They had 1 shot, and they scored. Hence, I lost to Manchester City who won their last game to overtake me in the standings. It was a total kick in the gut. I was hoping that there was a team talk like "HOW THE HELL DID YOU LOSE THE TITLE WHEN IT'S SUCH AN AMAZINGLY EASY OPPONENT TO BEAT?" I was left fuming at how terrible my team manages to kick itself in the gut. Nonetheless, it was a crazy season where Manchester City went 16-1-0 before we finally manage to beat them 5-2 for their first loss. I could guess it was not my season.

I also went out of the FA cup, losing to Manchester City (again). However, I did manage to reign Europe by beating Manchester City by penalties in the final. Here is the standings.

leaguestandings.jpg

chamfinal.jpg

Archived