FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

January 2009 Update

It is only the start of January but have decided to update now because I have done all my transfer dealings for this season now.

January Transfers In

Davide Santon - £2m

Joe Mattock - £2.3

Domenico Criscito - £2.1m (coming at the end of the season)

January Transfers Out

None

Premiership

So far so good, I am yet to lose a game, I am quite a way in front of the closest rival which is Chelsea in second place. I am 5 points clear with 2 games in hand. Hopefully I will be able to continue the current form in to the second half of the season.

Here is a screenshot:

PremiershipJanuary2009.jpg

Champions League

I struggled a bit in the Champions League group stages, losing 2 out of my first 3 games but I managed to hit some form and ended up top of the group.

Here is a screenshot:

ChampionsLeagueGroupC08-09.jpg

I have drawn Juventus in the next round.

Club World Cup

I managed to win the cup quite easily, with a 3-0 win in the semi-final and then a 7-3 win in the final, amazingly I went 6-0 up but the defence went to sleep and let them creep back to 6-3, but Balotelli finished off the scoring.

Here is a screenshot:

ClubWorldCupFinal08-09.jpg

Community Shield

Nothing special really, won 5-3 on penalties after 0-0 for 120 minutes.

UEFA Super Cup

Won 1-0 against Zenit, thanks to a Srna goal in the 18th minute.

Carling Cup

I am in to the semi-final after victories against Liverpool in the third round, Leyton Orient in the fourth round and Birmingham in the Quarter Final.

I am now set to face Chelsea in the semi-final.

Squad

The whole squad has been performing really well, with Ronaldo, Rooney and Vukcevic as the three outstanding players. I’m not sure if Balotelli is up to scratch, he seems to be struggling to score goals but he is only young so I will give him time. Ronaldo won Player of the Year, World Footballer of the Year, Europe Footballer of the Year, and Midfielder of the Year.

Here is a screenshot:

ManUtdSquad-January2009.jpg

I will update again at the end of the season.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ur update

good going. im just coming up to january, and my league top 4 looks nearly exactly like yours.

getting rid of berba to city for 60m though (installments) on jan 1st. wooo hoo.. most ive got for him, could only get 45 max on patch 1 and 2..

and i see you have only gave tosic 5 gamed. play him on left wing, he is good. 11 in 23 for me with 7.47 rating

Hey guys, coming towards the end of my 2nd season with United and Chelsea have offered me an unsettled Kalou for £5.25m.

Should I go for him considering I have already Ronaldo, Nani and Di Maria in the squad and Park in his last year on contract and very likely leaving the club. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, coming towards the end of my 2nd season with United and Chelsea have offered me an unsettled Kalou for £5.25m.

Should I go for him considering I have already Ronaldo, Nani and Di Maria in the squad and Park in his last year on contract and very likely leaving the club. Thanks in advance.

No, you don't need him.

I agree, I wouldn't go for Kalou, you could probably find better than him for 5.25 if you wanted to anyway.

Cruising the league by 9 points in my 3rd season coming to the end of the January TW, even though my prediction was to come 2nd, which is stupid, it was all because Liverpool spent a combined total of like 80 million on 4 strikers, Gomez, Adriano, Sanchez (who I was planning to buy in the summer) and Higuain.

I'm thinking of offloading Berba in the summer? And bringing in a new striker, Bojan isn't interested, but I was thinking Laurito? How does he turn out. My strike force would then be Rooney, Aguero, Saivet, Welbeck and Laurito. Or has anyone got any better recommendations. I'll post some screenies up when I near the end of the season.

After several years of managing AC Milan and winning everything with them I decided it was time for a new challenge. The job I have on my hands as the new manager of Man Utd is certainly going to be a challenge. I took the job with them in 18th place in the Prem with 11 games played, we are currently 16th and only 2 points clear of the relegation zone. So I thought I'd post this screenie of my first team squad and see if anyone who's as far as 2016 in the game can suggest any players who are young enough at the start of the game to still be good enough to improve my squad. One thing that is making it very difficult is that world class players are no longer interested in coming to us, since Fergie's successor and my predecessor Steve Bruce has damaged the clubs rep a lot before he got sacked.

ManchesterUnited.png

Edit:- I forgot to mention I already have Daniel Aquino confirmed to come in on the 2nd of January.

Also I have a transfer budget of £75 million

And am spending 800k on wages with a wage budget of £1.6 million

well depends if you need him or not tbh. looks like you have more than capable players to take over from him as you have a few with similar positions. so ask your self Do you need the money?, if so sell. maybe see if you can get more.

Ok Im not selling him, cause he just scored a hat-trick :)

But is there any improvements I can make in my team?

perhaps in the central midfield positions but i dont know what formation you use ;)

i use anderson more defensively just like fergi so his finishing hasnt been something im worried about. But you be hard pressed to get him a high finishing stat unless you skimp on training in other areas.

Hey guys just started off as United. Gonna stick with the team and just bring in some youngsters.

So far have bought -

Fausto Rossi

Henri Saivet

Eden Hazard

also have coming in january -

Martin Galvan

Franco Zuculini

Haven't sold anyone yet and not really planning to unless i recieve an exceptional bid.

Hey guys just started off as United. Gonna stick with the team and just bring in some youngsters.

So far have bought -

Fausto Rossi

Henri Saivet

Eden Hazard

also have coming in january -

Martin Galvan

Franco Zuculini

Haven't sold anyone yet and not really planning to unless i recieve an exceptional bid.

nice youngsters :) i would also add wijnaldum (can be picked up for under £2M) and sakho, they become very good, and also take a look a feghouli(sp?) :)

Cheers mate

fenghouli(sp?) i don't really like and i have an abundance of AM's also same answer for wijnaldum. But sakho I had forgotten about nice one.

Trying to sort out my tactic now which is a pain can't get my strikers to perform

End of Season One Update

Premiership

Was pretty easy tbh, only lost one game which was a stupid 3-1 loss to Tottenham. I had the league won with 4 games remaining.

Here is the final league table:

Premiership08-09.jpg

Champions League

Amazingly, it was a repeat of the 07/08 final, Man Utd against Chelsea and it ended in the same result. ronaldo opened the scoring only for Kalou to equalise 3 minutes later, thats the way it stayed for the rest of the match and it went to penalties. I scored every single one of our penalties and so did Chelsea until Ashley Cole's SECOND penalty!

Here is a screenshot:

ChampionsLeagueFinal08-09.jpg

FA Cup

This is the competition that I am most dissapointed about, I went out in the 6th round to Arsenal after losing 1-0 to a Robin van Persie goal.

Carling Cup

Managed to beat Newscatle 2-0 in the final with goals from Rooney and Berbatov.

Star Players

1. Cristiano Ronaldo - He managed to have a great season, scoring 34 goals in 60 games, 22 of them coming in the league which handed him the Golden Boot. He got an incredible 20 MoM's, which is a third of the games in which he played in.

2. Edwin van der Sar - He kept 35 cleansheets in 63 games, 21 of these coming in the league, this is probably why I only lost one game in the league all season.

3. Nemanja Vidic - He chipped in with 8 goals in 50 games throughout the season, 2 of these were screamers from the edge of the area, 5 of them were headers and 1 was a tap in. He was very solid in defence and not many strikers managed to get past him.

4. Wayne Rooney - He managed his best goalscoring season since joining Man Utd in 2004, he scored 27 in 46 games. He would have played more games but was injured for large portions of the season. I am hoping he can retain this form and carry it forward to next season.

Squad

ManUtdSquad08-09.jpg

Transfer Targets

1. World Class Striker - Rooney had a good campaign but Berbatov didn't score as many goals as I had hoped, with tevez sold last summer I have only had these two as experienced strikers. I have got Balotelli and Fleck coming through the youth ranks, but that is it. So a new striker will be my number one target when the transfer window opens.

2. World Class Left Winger - Tosic and Nani had decent seasons but I could do with somebody that already has a lot of experince and is quite well developed. Giggs also had a decent season but he is getting on a bit now.

Any suggestions for these two positions are welcome. Also, if you think I need to strengthen other areas then please say.

Overview

Overall it was a very good season, winning everything apart from the FA Cup. I am hoping to strengthen my squad in the summer and my main aim for next season will be to retain the Premiership and beat Liverpool's league record.

I will update again at the start of the 09/10 season.

Good work mate, thats a good season. Unlucky in the FA Cup.

Strikers I would look at keirrison, Aguero or Benzema.

Left wingers - Messi, David Silva or Mattia Fernandez.

How did you manage to get Ronaldo to play so well and score so many goals?

Whats your tactics? Im in the process of creating my tactic. Defends well but not scoring enough.

Good luck with the new season.

Thanks mate, but I was looking for players with a bit more experience?

What do you think about Vucinic for striker and Vargas for left winger? I can get Vucinic for £12.5m and Vargas for £18m.

I play Ronaldo at MR. I play 4-4-2 with a DMC and an AMC. Ronaldo seemed to cut inside from the wing and run near the line in to the box and then tap it in.

I will post his player instructions in a while.

Yeah they seem good choices and not bad prices but mayeb vargas is a bit exepensive not sure don't know him that well. Vucinic was a constant pain in my champions league game against roma.

Cool I'm trying to get him to do that at the moment

He's a good player not sure about that much though there might be some cheaper options. If you have the money though and you think he can do the job for you then go for it.

I just sold Johnny Evans for £20M + 50% of next sale. I never thought I would get this much for him, so - even though I didn't want to sell - I felt I had to accept. Think I could have gotten more? The buyer is Real Madrid, by the way.

Harryseaess

I traded Tosic(worth £5M) and £10M(upfront) for Benzema, great deal! He isn't scoring much but needs time to settle, he has still gone up in value though and is now worth £26.5M

If teams are intrested in your players and you can afford to sell them, check their squad and try to get a player sqap, i think in 9.3 it is easier to get better deals in player swap deals ;)

im not interested in player swaps ever, but then i dont use the xfer market much anymore.

I could have got 70m for messi just then (he 28). Accepted offer and set him as "backup" and to my surprise he turned down offers from both madrid and juventus. He must be a very loyal player as he wouldnt go due to liking me, and he was upset at the bombshell i accepted the offer.

macheda doesnt turn out too good unfortunately.

rossi buyout clause.. no he doesnt have one, because there is actually no confirmation that he does in real life. United and Rossi have shown mention of a clause but no details as to what sort of clause... and villareal totally deny there being any clause at all for him. Therefore nothing can be put in game

macheda doesnt turn out too good unfortunately.

rossi buyout clause.. no he doesnt have one, because there is actually no confirmation that he does in real life. United and Rossi have shown mention of a clause but no details as to what sort of clause... and villareal totally deny there being any clause at all for him. Therefore nothing can be put in game

yerp, but i think that there should be a thing simular to first option on players as a feeder club option but for a single player. If a club makes a bid for Rossi then Man Utd could have a bid accepted of the same amount. This would sort out the clause in the contract because like you said, no-one knows what it is, but it will still give a good advantage to Man Utd that they should have.

Why would they claim that they have a clause in the contract if they didnt really? they havn't done this with any other deals AFAIK

End of Season One Update

Premiership

Was pretty easy tbh, only lost one game which was a stupid 3-1 loss to Tottenham. I had the league won with 4 games remaining.

Here is the final league table:

Premiership08-09.jpg

Champions League

Amazingly, it was a repeat of the 07/08 final, Man Utd against Chelsea and it ended in the same result. ronaldo opened the scoring only for Kalou to equalise 3 minutes later, thats the way it stayed for the rest of the match and it went to penalties. I scored every single one of our penalties and so did Chelsea until Ashley Cole's SECOND penalty!

Here is a screenshot:

ChampionsLeagueFinal08-09.jpg

FA Cup

This is the competition that I am most dissapointed about, I went out in the 6th round to Arsenal after losing 1-0 to a Robin van Persie goal.

Carling Cup

Managed to beat Newscatle 2-0 in the final with goals from Rooney and Berbatov.

Star Players

1. Cristiano Ronaldo - He managed to have a great season, scoring 34 goals in 60 games, 22 of them coming in the league which handed him the Golden Boot. He got an incredible 20 MoM's, which is a third of the games in which he played in.

2. Edwin van der Sar - He kept 35 cleansheets in 63 games, 21 of these coming in the league, this is probably why I only lost one game in the league all season.

3. Nemanja Vidic - He chipped in with 8 goals in 50 games throughout the season, 2 of these were screamers from the edge of the area, 5 of them were headers and 1 was a tap in. He was very solid in defence and not many strikers managed to get past him.

4. Wayne Rooney - He managed his best goalscoring season since joining Man Utd in 2004, he scored 27 in 46 games. He would have played more games but was injured for large portions of the season. I am hoping he can retain this form and carry it forward to next season.

Squad

ManUtdSquad08-09.jpg

Transfer Targets

1. World Class Striker - Rooney had a good campaign but Berbatov didn't score as many goals as I had hoped, with tevez sold last summer I have only had these two as experienced strikers. I have got Balotelli and Fleck coming through the youth ranks, but that is it. So a new striker will be my number one target when the transfer window opens.

2. World Class Left Winger - Tosic and Nani had decent seasons but I could do with somebody that already has a lot of experince and is quite well developed. Giggs also had a decent season but he is getting on a bit now.

Any suggestions for these two positions are welcome. Also, if you think I need to strengthen other areas then please say.

Overview

Overall it was a very good season, winning everything apart from the FA Cup. I am hoping to strengthen my squad in the summer and my main aim for next season will be to retain the Premiership and beat Liverpool's league record.

I will update again at the start of the 09/10 season.

how much you sell tevez for?

Hi all!

I've decided to start a game with Manchester United, keeping it as realistic as possible.

This time I'll be spending a lot more time on man management, tweaking of tactics, youth development ect., than I'm usually used to. Just to try playing a bit more realistic instead of rushing through every season.

I've also decided to not allow transfer budgets in the first transfer window to make it feel a bit more like real life, so basically I just need to set up some training schedules, as I've already made a couple of tactics suited for United, before I'm ready to get into the season.

Really looking forward to this one as I think it'll be quite enjoyable.

I'll let you know how it goes every once in a while :)

just been offered 54 million for ronaldo and to be honets want to accept who could i buy for around that much whos going to be a good replacement or maybe a few replacement im on season 1 of 9.03 in january my team are 7that the mo

Archived