FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

xx11

wow, some fantastic regens there, i bet your squad is worth loads! I hope IRL Kiko pops up with goals like that against arsenal in the semis to come later in the season :D

How much of the debt is left in 2017? just intrested to know ;)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8345/johnfleckfeb2010.png think he is a bit too good for the U18s, im going to have to sell some of my first team players to fit him into my squad, i have too many in his position, he is playing quality at the moment though :D

does anyone have experiance with Toni Kroos, he doesnt seem to have improved much for me in just over 2 seasons

Not on this game bemerry, I used to buy him all the time on 08 though. My youtuh team are awesome after all those youth signings, they've played three, won three, scored 13 and conceded 1. And that's without Sakho, Holtby and Rochina. I'm not doing too bad, played two in the league, one win, one draw, got a game in hand which can take me up 7 places to 2nd. Won the Community Shield and the Super Cup quite comfortably, I'm not sure whether to go for all trophies, or to just use my younger players in the Carling and FA Cup.

Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in the same team :D Good to see you've kept a lot of the original team, looks like the twins have turned out well. I'm guessing you edited Mauricio's nationality so he could get a work permit? :D Don't blame ya, they'll be the death of me.

Jad123

i would use your youngsters in the Carling Cup all the way but in the FA Cup i would use them for the earlier easier teams. Dont forget to do a SAF by blending youth with experiance :D

xx11

nice team! still waiting for a real nice regen to come through on my game, been looking but nothing much yet, still fingers crossed :D

Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in the same team :D Good to see you've kept a lot of the original team, looks like the twins have turned out well. I'm guessing you edited Mauricio's nationality so he could get a work permit? :D Don't blame ya, they'll be the death of me.

no editing involved.. got him for free at the start and he went out on loan to antwerp for 3 years or so. then on loan to burnley (dont know how he accepted, lol). then he want on loan to everton for a year. 3 years in my team which gave him English nationality and i called him straight up to the england team in which he done well upfront with Turley while rooney injuried.

He wanted a new challenge but didnt want to sell him so i sent him on loan to newcastle for the year with a 45m buyout on the deal. They didnt want to pay that and he just returned to me, no longer asking for a new challenge and wanting to prove himself. I think this is due to me being england manager and becoming a friend of his.

And so now we up to date with the Mauricio situation. He should be able to get me a decent price (newcastle offered 20m) but he scored 15goals in 34 appearances for newcastle so should be ok.

And i couldnt help but keep most the team together. Vidic just dropped to reserves with evra and hargreaves. And many other players are now my coaches :D

Well, I would suggest offloading Fletcher, you can get at least £20m for him off City. I wouldn't say there's any much needed signings, but some signings for the future wouldn't go a miss. Fleck, Beevers, Mattock, Lambo etc.

I usually offload the weaker midfield players like Park and Fletcher as well as O'Shea, and bring in Veloso or Moutinho. I've bought Rafinha as an immediate replacement for Gary Neville in my current game, gives you a bit more pace, but it's not a must at all.

Here's my team at the start of second season. Decided to do a team assessment, just for the fun of it and to actually help myself giving some thoughts about the team.

Goalkeepers:

1. Akinfeev, Igor, GK

First choice goalkeeper. Young and will be the number 1 for many years to come.

12. Foster, Ben, GK

My backup goalie of choice. Decent backup who'd be able to be first choice for many other clubs.

35. van der Sar, Edwin, GK

His stats have rapidly declined so he's only here in case of emergency.

Defenders:

2. Neville, Gary, DR

Getting too old to be a first team starter now. Is too slow, but otherwise good stats and makes for a good backup player.

3. Evra, Patrice, DL

Probably the best leftback in the world. No need to elaborate on him.

5. Ferdinand, Rio, Dc

One of the core players of the team. He and Vidic makes for one of the best centreback partnerships in the game. Getting older, but still in his prime.

6. Brown, Wes, DRC

My first choice right back at the moment. This position is probably the teams weakest but Brown is a decent player even though. Also able to backup in the centre if needed.

15. Vidic, Nemanja, DC

Perhaps the best centreback in the games. A rock who's indispensible to the team.

20. Fabio, D/WB/AML

More of a winger really, but nice to have some very attacking options in the fullback spots. Not as good as one could've hoped for but has time to improve.

21. Rafael, D/WBR

Hasn't developed as well as I had hoped for but there's still time ahead for him. Already pretty good but not starting 11 potential just yet. Will get his fair share of games, though.

22. O'Shea, John, DRLC

Although not a first team regular, I consider O'Shea an important part of the team due to his ability to cover all positions in the defence. Great utility player.

23. Evans, Jonny, DC

One of my two wonderkids in the CB spot. Did really well last season and has proved himself as a natural heir to Ferdinand.

26. Gassama, Lamine, D/WBRL

I have high hopes for this player. He probably won't get many starts this season, but provides good backup for both backs and has a bunchload of talent.

27. Mattock, Joe, D/WBL

Really just a backup for Evra, but still with lots of potential. Will start in the League Cup games.

29. Beevers, Mark, DC

Promising young player who won't get many games this season. Will get some starts in the league cup, though.

36. Sakho, Mamadou, DLC

Along with Evans he's my young starlet and I have really high hopes for him. 4th choice behind Ferdinand, Vidic and Evans but will start in the easier games.

Midfielders:

4. Hargreaves, Owen, DM/MC

A great defensive midfielder who also has offensive qualities. A key member of the squad really, and probably the best central midfielder statswise.

7. Ronaldo, Cristiano, AMRL/FC

Arguably the biggest name in the team. Along with Ribery he's deadly on the wing which was proven by his great season last year in which he became team top scorer.

8. Anderson, AMC

Proved himself as the best central midfielder last season. Hopefully he'll be able to build on his performances. A key player for many years to come.

11. Giggs, Ryan, AMLC

A legend - but an old legend. Not really good enough at the highest levels anymore, but of course he'll stay in the team.

13. Ribery, Franck, AMLRC

The big name signing og the season. The left wing's answer to Ronaldo. Hopefully he'll be able to live up to the expectations, but I'm sure he will be.

14. Tosic, Zoran, AMLR

Although he's facing tough competition on the wings, I'm sure he'll get quite a few games as he did really well last season.

16. Carrick, Michael, DM/MC

Dissapointing last season but still a first team regular who hopefully will be better this season.

17. Nani, AMLR

A key player in the squad even though he will have a hard time fighting for his position now that Ribery has joined the team. Number 1 assister last year, so of course a great player.

18. Scholes, Paul, MC

Another player who's getting old. His physical stats aren't that good anymore and he won't get many games this season.

24. Fletcher, Darren, MC

Not quite starting 11 potential, but I'm still happy he's in the team. Quite a complete player, good defensive and offensive.

31. Feghouli, Sofiane, AMRLC

Potentially one of the best players around but still not quite developed. Still a useful player though, with his ability to cover a lot of positions.

40. Costa, Douglas, AMLC

No experience with this guy. Will have to prove his worth to the team, but will get his chance in the League Cup.

Strikers:

9. Berbatov, Dimitar, ST

The targetman of the team, and second top scorer just behind Ronaldo last season. Great player.

10. Rooney, Wayne, AM/FC

One of the key players in the team. Did well last season. Considering retraining either him or Tevez to be able to cover the MC position as I think they'd do great there.

19. Welbeck, Danny, ST

Another promising striker. Scored 2 goals last season but was really impressive once he was on the pitch, making a lot of noise.

25. Campbell, Fraizer, ST

I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy in action this season. Have no real experience with him but hopefully he'll come in scoring a few goals.

32. Tevez, Carlos, FC

The last of the three main strikers and perhaps the best statswise. Also had a good season last year.

55. Saivet, Henri, AMRL/FC

My young upcomming striker. Again not yet a worldbeater, but I think he'll become a valuable member of the team in a few seasons.

And last but not least here are the three regens I've bought in this season. I think they're all pretty decent.

Christensen. Strangely enough this is the first danish player I've ever bought on any version of FM, even though I'm from Denmark.

He looks pretty decent, and can probably develop into a great player:

christensen.th.jpg

Holstad. Pretty promising player. Looks like he'll become a great almost complete midfielder.

holstad.th.jpg

Nikolov. A tough defender/midfielder who I'm sure will develop into a good player.

nikolov.th.jpg

Sorry for the long post - I just have a lot of time on my hands atm :)

Good depth in your squad, quite a few promising youngsters. How good is Mattock at the start of the second season, he's looking a bit raw in the first season, but his stats are developing ok. Them regens look quite decent too, all got good mental attributes and promising technical stats, Christensen especially. What clubs did you buy them off?

I have got Fletcher, O'Shea, Park and Kuzcak (sp) on the list but also may put Berbatov has he aint the fastest and I can replace him with Wagner Love who I hear is very good.

Playing on 9.03 database so Hargreaves and Neville aren't out long term only 8-10 weeks max.

@Jad123:

Mattocks looks ok. Nothing too special but decent backup. He's got quite a few areas he needs to improve though but he's got good stats to build on.

Yeah I think the regens are looking quite good too. Funny, I think Christensen looks the worst of them three:)

Just hoping they'll develop into world class players, but I think they should have the potential to do so:

Christensen has the potential to far exceed Wes Brown's current level of ability.

Holstad has the potential to be a lot better than Fletcher's current level of ability.

Nikolov has the potential to be as good as Ferdinand's current level of ability.

Christensen was bought from Brøndby.

Holstad was bought from Strømgodset.

Nikolov was bought from Litex.

some very nice regens, i've currently got loads of young players at the moment so not directly looking for regens but still have a quick scout of the U18s/international squads for decent ones. I havent found any world beaters yet though.

Just a quick little update:

8 games played in the league, and currently sitting 1st with 6 wins and 2 draws and a 18-2 goalscore. 1 point ahead of Man city in 2nd position.. So pretty good start although we drew 0-0 away against both Portsmouth and Aston Villa. Portsmouth really seem to be my nemesis this time around - have only won 3 out of 6 games against them :mad:

In the Community Shield we were up against Arsenal, but it looked as if we were better prepared for the new season, as the game ended 3-0 in our favour with 2 goals from Rooney and a single one from Ferdinand. We also beat Arsenal 3-0 in the first league game of the season.

We've been handed a pretty easy group in the Champions Cup with Rosenborg, Dinamo Kiev and Benfica so that should prove no problems at all. Two games played: home against Dinamo Kiev which ended 2-0 in our favour and away against Rosenborg which we won 3-0.

So overall things are going as planned.

Ronaldo has been brilliant so far, averaging 7.62 and has 6 goals and 6 assists to his name in 11 games. Anderson is taking off from where he ended last season, playing some great football in the central midfield. Rooney is the current topscorer with 7 goals, while Berbatov has been a dissapointment so far and hasn't really got started yet. Tevez is just Tevez and has 5 goals in 7 games.

Ribery is starting to fit into the team and already has 5 assists to his name.

In the defensive area, Evra has been amazing so far, while Vidic hasn't started the season well so Evans is currently getting closer to the first 11.

Akinfeev has been ok so far. Nothing spectacular but doing a good solid job.

I haven't really tested out the talents yet, as the games haven't really been for it, but I might be tempted to use a couple of younger players in the Champions Cup soon.

Good to see you've started brightly, keep it up!

I have also started pretty well, not lost in the league after 11 games- 10 wins, 1 draw, 23 goals scored and 4 conceded. I trail Chelsea by a point, with two games in hand.

In the Champions League, I drew Basel, Atletico Madrid and Porto, so not the easiest, but I've already qualified with two left to play in the group. 4 games, 4 wins, 14 scored and 2 conceded.

I'm still in the League Cup, after beating Barnsley and West Brom 2-0 and 1-0 respectively. Got Liverpool in the quarters though, so I'll have a tough game there. Best result so far would probably be 3-1 against Arsenal in the league, I expected it to be hard to score, but we could've had about 5 at least.

My players are developing great, Rafinha has gained a couple of points in technique, concentration and creativity which is nice, and all the youngsters signed in the summer are being tutored by senior players. Fleck has got 16 goals in 17 appearances for the youth team, and I'm thinking of giving him a run out against Wigan in a couple of weeks. Sakho's looking great but his attributes haven't been rising as fast as some of the others. He's featured 7 times overall. Robert Lewandowski is promising but I think I might loan him out cos he's nowhere near good enough for the first team yet, although he has managed to bag 1 goal in 3 matches.

Just been hit by injuries so I think my winning streak of 17 games may be ended sooner rather than later :(

with your regens i think that while they are young work on their physical stats greatly, especialy the right back. Maybe it just me but i like their pace/acc to be a minimum of 15, perferably 16/17 or greater... that be why every single training scedule for every age and position has higher levels of physical training then any other people i meet. Probably because my tactics relay on pace as i can leave alot of space at back especially :D

my first season

i'm now in jan'09

rio ferdinand is gonna be out for four long months due to injury :mad:

by the way , i had got sakho (is he good enough in the 1st season?)

or should i go out & purchase another centre back ?

Sakho is one for the future, i would use him sparingly, you dont want to burn him out and as said by xx11, you have Evans, he becomes good, he is currently worth about £14M and im coming up to the end of the second season (early/mid april)

@bemerry65:

I don't think you'd burn him out.. He only gets better if he gets some first tam football.

However, as xx11 mentioned, Evans is probably a better player first season. Then there's Brown, Neville and O'Shea who can all play there.

ManchesterUnited.png

This is the team I just used to beat Villarreal 3-0. They had more chances but I was more efficient. The thing that proved effective was this:

I ordered Nani and Rooney to swap position between striker and winger. This led to a goal from both players plus a penalty goal from Ferdinand.

Also, Asenjo got his second clean sheet in a row and an 8+ ranking. I love that man!

Great team ulrich87!

How much did you pay for Chiellini?

Mid season update

We just had a drop in form (as usual around winter :mad:) which means we are now second behind Chelsea. 6 points behind but with a game in hand after 20 games. Looks like another hard fight for the title - and another battle between us and Chelsea.

The drop in form also meant that we were knocked out of the League Cup after a dissapointing 0-2 defeat against Manchester City. The young lads did well, though, and I'm not really that dissapointed. City fielded a strong first 11 and were just better than my youngsters but they put up a good fight.

In the F.A. Cup we're about to face Leeds in the 3rd round, so I'll field some youngsters here to and expect to move on comfortably.

The Champions Cup group was won with all wins for the second season in a row, and in the first knockout round we'll face Inter in what looks like two tough matches. Hopefully our form will be better once approaching these matches.

I'm really dissapointed with Berbatov this season as he's only managed 4 goals in 10(14) games :mad:

He better start scoring some goals soon.

Other than that, it's the usual suspects who stand out once again with Ronaldo having another blaster of a season.

Oh, Tevez is also having a pretty bad season with only 8 goals in 20 matches so far.

I really think I should consider making some changes to the tactics to get the strikers to score more.

How have everyone set up their strikers?

Great team ulrich87!

How much did you pay for Chiellini?

Thank you!

Chiellini cost £23M. plus about £20M over two years and 20% of profit from next sale.

One of my all time best purchases, though he could do a little better in the less important matches.

Thank you!

Chiellini cost £23M. plus about £20M over two years and 20% of profit from next sale.

One of my all time best purchases, though he could do a little better in the less important matches.

ouch, £43m in total? (as doubt you sell him if you purchase for that much. lol)... but then if perform really well then guess it is worth it in the end. I hate paying big money for players as in the end i alwasy feel little disappointed like i have with messi (even though he does well for 35m i feel let down - but not as much as i felt let down by berbatov in real life ever since getting him. Always said should have got santa cruz instead but that off topic :p )

lol, agree with xx11.. 43 is an awful lot of money. But with that said, Chiellini is an amazing player :)

Anyway, just decided to start from scratch (more or less) with my tactics, and first game ended in a complete 6-0 demolition og Q.P.R., so I might be onto something finally. Well, it's Q.P.R., but still a nice result - finally :)

lol, agree with xx11.. 43 is an awful lot of money. But with that said, Chiellini is an amazing player :)

Anyway, just decided to start from scratch (more or less) with my tactics, and first game ended in a complete 6-0 demolition og Q.P.R., so I might be onto something finally. Well, it's Q.P.R., but still a nice result - finally :)

haha. In the 10th season. and after 6 games chelsea were bottom on just 2 points. Unfortunatly they just beat liverpool (or fortunately, as it is liverpool) and with my 5-1 smashing of Portsmouth (4 ronaldo goals) Chelsea moved up to 18th on 5 points (pompy and wigan are on 4points). And right by Chelsea... Liverpool also on 5 points. Must say i like the olook of that table. :D

ouch, £43m in total? (as doubt you sell him if you purchase for that much. lol)... but then if perform really well then guess it is worth it in the end. I hate paying big money for players as in the end i alwasy feel little disappointed like i have with messi (even though he does well for 35m i feel let down - but not as much as i felt let down by berbatov in real life ever since getting him. Always said should have got santa cruz instead but that off topic :p )

I like Berba but i think he needs to change his laid back attitude slightly. I know thats the kind of player that he is and we saw that at Spurs, but i was hoping that with other stars around him he would try just that little bit harder. Not expecting him to run round like Tevez or Rooney but to actually rush to get back on side when we are on the attack! I think this is refected well in the game though.

On another topic i really do hope we sign Tevez in the summer, im not sure he is worth the £32M we agreed to pay for him (thats with £10M per season for the two seasons that we will have had him on top) but if he declares that he will play no-where else but for Man Utd then we get him at a lower price :D. This will also slightly lower the debt in the game aswell because we currently have a separate £30M/£32M debt for the Tevez transfer which allows us to fully own him in the game with no sell on fees.

Anyway..... back on topic :D

I just beat Arsenal with the same team I posted earlier. 3-0 :D

Goalscorers were Nani (+2 assists), Tevez (on a freekick created by Nani) and Carrick (with a longshot assisted by a 45 degree layoff, by none other than Nani)

This means I am now unbeaten for 9 games running and Asenjo got another clean sheet. Life is good :)

I just beat Arsenal with the same team I posted earlier. 3-0 :D

Goalscorers were Nani (+2 assists), Tevez (on a freekick created by Nani) and Carrick (with a longshot assisted by a 45 degree layoff, by none other than Nani)

This means I am now unbeaten for 9 games running and Asenjo got another clean sheet. Life is good :)

nice! when the transfer windows come, try not to sell to many players but you must keep moral up high. Also i wouldnt bring too many in because this could upset the club balance.

I would offer new contracts to the players that have clubs intrested in them, this gets rid of the intrest for a little while :)

I've finally been beaten, 4-2 away to Atletico, Aguero tore us apart tbh, had no chance, even with such an ace defence. On the bright side, I'm still unbeaten in every other competition, I've beaten Liverpool 2-0 and City 5-2, won manager of the month three times out of three, and yet the board are still only 'satisfied with my performance as manager' :( I need to better Atletico's result in the last Champions League group game to be top. Might be a bit difficult though, I've got PSV, while they've got Basel :(

I think I need to get Asenjo or Akinfeev in, in January because as soon as VDS is injured, I've only got Kusczaczk and Foster, both of whom seem to concede whenever I play them.

I'll try and get him in January then, if I can raise the funds. I've only got 107k left from my summer budget. Recently slipped up somewhat, drawn 1-1 against Liverpool and 2-2 against Sunderland. I'm still top by 2 points with two games in hand though, so it's my title to lose, even at this stage. Middlesbrough are doing shocking: played 19, won 3, drawn 2 and lost 14 :D I beat PSV 3-0 and Basel beat Atletico 2-1 so I went through as group winner in the Champs League. Werder Bremen await me in the next round :D Next fixtures are:

Chelsea away.

Bury away. (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Everton away. (League Cup Semi 1st Leg)

Stoke away.

Blackburn at home.

Confident of getting the win at Stoke and Bury, but I'm hoping for a draw against Chelsea. Games against Blackburn and Everton depend on whether my big players play well, Rooney has been appalling.

rooney goes through stages for me, he can be the best, but when he isn't he is extremly poor. usually comes good towards the end of the seasons though, about late feb early march for me but the first season was a write off for him until this point.

Any decent back-up strikers? I have sold Berba (1st Season)

Do things the United way and bring through the young strikers like Welbeck, Petrucci and Machada (who I used the editor to give a -9pa to, yes I know it's semi cheating but I think it's justified with his reserve team performances and couple of first team starts in real life). But if you don't use the editor the other two still become good enough

or if you fancy buying in a striker, then i would get benzema or palacio(sp?) or Aguero or invest in a couple of young ones for the future with a view that one will make it and the others will be sold on for a profit. All depends on the amount u want to spend and the type you want due to the formation you play.

Thanks, i had abit of bulk left and got Marquinos.

Macheda isnt worthy of a -9, he got 1 decent goal and everyone thinks he is amazing.

Sorry to disagree with you about Macheda but he's been excpetional in our reserves this year and has shown alot of promise in the 3 senior games he's played, i'm not saying he's amazing or anything like that i just believe that -9 is justified given his performances in the u18 and reserves and the high regard that anyone who has had any dealings with him hold him in. Lazio wouldn't be kicking up such fuss if he wasn't a kid with alot of potential.

Anyway this is the wrong place for these discussions

I've found three promising regens from Brazil, doesn't look like they're gonna get work permits though :( One of them looks especially good:

04212009190031.th.png

I've also secured the future signing of Kaz Patafta, he's on a free and most probably won't be a regular, but he's a possibility as back-up, or at least a profit from selling him on :D

I'm using simonbyrneno.4's tactic which gets good results and is very much like our style of play. Click here! I've just looked through that thread again, and realised I've been using the wrong striker positions for the wrong types. I wondered why I hadn't been getting lots of goals from Santa Cruz and Rooney :D

I've found three promising regens from Brazil, doesn't look like they're gonna get work permits though :( One of them looks especially good:

04212009190031.th.png

I've also secured the future signing of Kaz Patafta, he's on a free and most probably won't be a regular, but he's a possibility as back-up, or at least a profit from selling him on :D

could you make the screenshot bigger please? just the same size when you click the link ;)

would like to see this promising regen.

39th page and 390th post - good times

What do Macheda, Welbeck and the twins look like a few years down the track?

In my game Welbeck and Rafael will become quality players. Rafael has already crushed all opposition in the Right Back spot and Welbeck is on a semi back-up semi rotation with the potential to become a first team choice as a fast striker.

Macheda and Fabio are 2 and 3 star players, respectivly.

Archived