FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Buy Riquelme and its great heh - already has scored so many goals from FK and corners for me. But in general for scoring from corners, I have my best CB challenging the 'keeper and the other at the far post, with someone at the near post. Also have someone with good long shots lurking outside the box (usually like Scholes at the start...). Between all of that you should score a few from corners. Oh and set your corner delivery to 6 yard box - should target the CB's a bit more.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use a simular corner tactic, i have Vidic or Evans challenging the keeper and Fazio on attack near post, i also try to put the ball into the 6 yard box, its suprising the amount that the CB gets when he is on the near post.

Fazio is brilliant for scoring goals due to his high heading stat and he is tall (people have said that height doesnt matter in the match engine but when you look at the 3D full match the players sizes do vary due to height.)

A little update:

PaulNorthfield-2.png

ManchesterUnited-4.png

These are my latest matches. Done quite well lately with a bunch of surprising goals from defenders and young players.

ManchesterUnited-5.png

As you can see here, I think it's important to consistantly use the same defensive line. This has given me relatively few goals against but Asenjo has taken care of alot of the work defensively, especially in the CL where he kept a clean sheet away and only let in one at home against Roma, which semented his first team place.

In other "news" my next match is a match against Liverpool in the Quarter Final of the CL where we are out to avenge our loss in the last PL match in Desember. Wish me luck!

Comments and questions are accepted and appreciated :)

thanks hopey for clearing that up :)

Ulrich87 - what position and instructions do you give Fleck, he seems to be playing very well for you :)

Thanks for noticing :) It depends on where I play him. He does well as a winger on both sides, a central midfielder and a striker.

When I play him as a left winger I give him a free role,

run with ball - often,

forward runs - often,

cross balls - mixed,

long shots - rarely

Through balls - mixed

Right winger:

Free role

RWB - often

FWR - often

Long shots - mixed

Cross balls - rarely

Through balls - mixed

I only use him as a midfielder when I have no other options, so I won't bother with instructions for that. Just your generic distribute ball and

stay in midfield instructions.

As a striker I use him as a ballcarrier on the right;

Run with ball - often

Forward runs - mixed

Longshots - rarely

Throughballs - mixed

Cross balls - rarely

Also, I use the "rule of one" settings on mentality, with the strikers being a little further up.

The rest depends on the opponent.

What you should know is that Fleck is a VERY versatile player, so he will probably thrive doing whatever you tell him to do. :)

I see Hugo Sanchez is Sunderland manager on your save, he's at Blackburn on mine. Bizarre.

Fleck is a terrific player on 9.3.0, I'd suggest having him on mixed long shots as he can bend in some great goals from distance. Anyone had Jonjo Shelvey a few seasons in? How does he turn out?

I see Hugo Sanchez is Sunderland manager on your save, he's at Blackburn on mine. Bizarre.

Fleck is a terrific player on 9.3.0, I'd suggest having him on mixed long shots as he can bend in some great goals from distance.

That's what I do when playing him as right winger. He has already scored quite a few "Nani goals" ;) (cutting in)

I was wondering..

How many goals a season that Berbatov could score on your Man U save ? And also, how many assists that gave?

I saw tactics that makes Rooney or Ronaldo to scores a lot.. When I use United or not using United on my game, Berbatov usually scored the least compare to Rooney, Ronaldo, and probably Tevez..

Guys, im looking to find similar pontetial young players as Giggs, Beckham and Scholes when they were at their peak, not sure if its doable ofc but anyway any suggestions would be more than welcome as im gonna start a career save.

cheers

with a quick look with filtering in game, i came to this:

Adam Lallana for Scholes

Wilshere for Giggs

Delph for Beckham

I dont follow enough young British IRL to have an idea if those could be compared to the caliber of those 3 even only in some ways, can we say it can make or im completely out of the target?

I'm kind of having trouble with Ronaldo. He has only scored one goal for me and its November, and that was from a corner. I play a 4-1-1-2-2. With one DM, one MC, 2 wingers, and 2 strikes (one target man-Berbatov and Rooney). I have high creative freedom, attacking metality, run with ball often, cross ball mixed, through ball mixed, and long shots mixed, and he has a free role. And he just got injured for 9-11 days. I would love to hear some suggestions. And I'm also having a tough time with Berbatov. In the league hes made 11 appearances, with 4 goals and 3 assists. I kind of want more from him. He has normal cf, short passing, low attacking mentality, mixed FR, mixed RWB, rarely long shots, rarely cross ball, and I checked "Hold up Ball." Any insight, thanks. It would really be appreciated.

with a quick look with filtering in game, i came to this:

Adam Lallana for Scholes

Wilshere for Giggs

Delph for Beckham

I dont follow enough young British IRL to have an idea if those could be compared to the caliber of those 3 even only in some ways, can we say it can make or im completely out of the target?

Delph is more Scholes like than Beckham like; Wilshere isn't really like a young Giggs version. Adam Lallana as a new Scholes? Maybe.

Thanks for noticing :) It depends on where I play him. He does well as a winger on both sides, a central midfielder and a striker.

When I play him as a left winger I give him a free role,

run with ball - often,

forward runs - often,

cross balls - mixed,

long shots - rarely

Through balls - mixed

Right winger:

Free role

RWB - often

FWR - often

Long shots - mixed

Cross balls - rarely

Through balls - mixed

I only use him as a midfielder when I have no other options, so I won't bother with instructions for that. Just your generic distribute ball and

stay in midfield instructions.

As a striker I use him as a ballcarrier on the right;

Run with ball - often

Forward runs - mixed

Longshots - rarely

Throughballs - mixed

Cross balls - rarely

Also, I use the "rule of one" settings on mentality, with the strikers being a little further up.

The rest depends on the opponent.

What you should know is that Fleck is a VERY versatile player, so he will probably thrive doing whatever you tell him to do. :)

thanks, hopefully fleck might start playing well for me now :)

Loss against Liverpool is avenged. Won the quarter final on away goals :) Nani be tha man!

Now to quarrel with Chelsea in the FA cup semi final and Inter in the semi final of the CL. Looking forward to the end of the season, now.

Berbatov for sale

in the 1st season in jan , ac milan have offered 25 million for him.

he's only scored 1 goal and getting ratings of 5.5 to 6.5

he has no confidence in me as a manager , but rooney and tevez have scored 15 goals each .

so who would you get as a replacement

Berbatov for sale

in the 1st season in jan , ac milan have offered 25 million for him.

he's only scored 1 goal and getting ratings of 5.5 to 6.5

he has no confidence in me as a manager , but rooney and tevez have scored 15 goals each .

so who would you get as a replacement

Stick Ronaldo upfront and buy a winger. Balotelli or Buonanotte for either power or skill. I went for skill myself.

Paloschi comes good and scores quite a few, i swapped him and a little bit of cash for Fazio, i wish i didnt now, he is scoring regularly for his club and country and is starting infront of rossi and other italien strikers

Man, the board don't give you anything in the 2nd transfer window. I'm selling Berbatov. VDS wants to leave, and Ben Foster left and Kuszczach left earlier. Anyone know any good back up GKs? He'll be my back up to Asenjo. Also, I accepted a $47.5 million offer from Arsenal to Berbatov. He has yet to agree to it, but I hope he does. I don't care if they are rivals! I could use that to get Benzema or Aguero (with some more $) :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I am in taking Man Utd. I won all the trophies available for me in the 1st season.

Now in Season 2, I rejected a bid from Chelsea for Ronaldo. He got unhappy. Should I just let him go?

I have Nani, Douglas Costa, Yoann Gourcuff, Zoran Tosic, Marquinhos, Keirrison, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. I even bought David Beckham back for 2.5m.

Do advise! Thanks guys!

Man, the board don't give you anything in the 2nd transfer window. I'm selling Berbatov. VDS wants to leave, and Ben Foster left and Kuszczach left earlier. Anyone know any good back up GKs? He'll be my back up to Asenjo. Also, I accepted a $47.5 million offer from Arsenal to Berbatov. He has yet to agree to it, but I hope he does. I don't care if they are rivals! I could use that to get Benzema or Aguero (with some more $) :eek:

I would set his status to not needed by club, this will improve the chances of him signing the deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I am in taking Man Utd. I won all the trophies available for me in the 1st season.

Now in Season 2, I rejected a bid from Chelsea for Ronaldo. He got unhappy. Should I just let him go?

I have Nani, Douglas Costa, Yoann Gourcuff, Zoran Tosic, Marquinhos, Keirrison, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. I even bought David Beckham back for 2.5m.

Do advise! Thanks guys!

I would keep Ronaldo, he is one of the bestb players in the world, he may be unhpappy now but he shouldnt be for ages so long as you keep playing him nothig else occurs that will make him unhappy, also when an offer comes in for a player you dont want to sell, dont reject it, simply negotiate a super high price and they will withdraw there offer and the player will stay happy, if they dont withdraw and come bac with what you propsosed then you have a really good deal :)

actually negotiating an offer can often lead to a player becoming unhappy, even before they come back saying no. Dont know what determins this but it happens quite often.

If you get a transfer offer, always go into the offer and dont reject it right away. If it says that the player wants to talk to the team then stall the offer, then you offer the player a new contract (if it a top player then their terms wont go above what they already on as you paying what they worth). When the stall period is up if you offered the contract then you will notice the player no longer wants to discuss terms with the bidding team

Just at the start of season three on my latest save. Won Premier League two years in a row, and the Champions League, too. Been given a transfer budget of £56million (which I think is pretty poor) and and don't know who to spend it on. Current first team squad (Persico is a regen):

74798943.png

I'm resigned to losing Wes Brown, as he's requested a transfer and shows no signs of wanting to change his mind – I've currently got an offer of £8.5million on the table for him. Another one I'd be willing to let go is Tosic, as I've had an offer of £15million for him and he never plays because of Ronaldo/Nani/Zhirkov/Srna all being better.

I think my central midfield is probably weakest, so I'm thinking about Fellaini from Everton, who my scouts say will cost around £13million. Are there any other young, centre-midfielders out there I should be looking at?

The two players I was keen to sign out of vanity were Messi and Benzema (to see if he really is that good), but neither Barca nor Lyon will accept bids of my entire budget and aren't interested in any of my players to make up the shortfall. Tempted by Guiseppi Rossi, who scouts say would be about £19million, but then I'm aware I really don't need another striker (or do I?).

If anyone can offer suggestions of players worth a look who might be within budget, I'd be keen to hear them. Alternatively, I'd also like to know whether I'll be better off holding on to the cash and seeing if anyone is transfer listed or whether anything comes up in January.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You don't really need anything imo, apart from maybe a target man kind of striker. Would recommend Marquinhos because he's great and would add depth all round. Rossi is good. Midfielders... umm I think your fine tbh, there's 4 there that are pretty exceptional, If you want another class player though, Aaron Ramsay, he plays well for me. Maybe if you want some cover try and get a good young MC in, like Bostock. I would keep Tosic and rotate him, he plays great for me. Maybe a very young good goalkeeper, possibly a regen just to provide that extra backup incase things go really wrong.

Otherwise, bring in the best young talent you can find.

Thanks for the tips. Think I'll definitely aim to sign Ramsey, who's still only 19 in the game. Reconsidering Fellaini, as he's more or less the same age as Moutinho, Veloso and Anderson, and just isn't as good. I can afford him, but I'm concious of not being able to give people enough games. Perhaps I'll chance it and see what happens.

I'm pretty much set on Rossi, too, and Marquinhos, particularly because, as you say, he looks like he'll provide decent cover and depth for a wealth of positions. Bostock will be probably be signed as well, although I'm slightly concerned by the scouts fears over his work rate and "being a burden on his team mates". Time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I was concerned about that but I signed him early and 3 years in he's good backup, ever since the first season he's got the occasional game and sometimes ended up 'bossing the midfield'. He gets into good positions and scores. I think he's good at that because of his work rate.

I can't recommend Ramsey enough. Classy player, really tidy and fits into my midfield right next to Anderson, just allows Anderson to get forward really. Plays well for me. Worth the £20m I spent although I could've signed him for £8m but I couldn't afford it and he went to Villa. Got him a season later and worth every penny.

Right, it's done. Brown's gone to Aston Villa for £8.5m. In come Rossi (£18.5m), Marquinhos (£13m), Fellaini (£13m), Ramsey (£11.25m) and Bostock (£3.5m).

Bostock's gone straight into the reserves and Jonny Evans is there for the time being as well. Ramsey definitely looks like he'll fit in well with Moutinho, Veloso, Anderson and Camacho, but I think Fellaini might be overkill. Six players for two positions might be a bit much. Same with Marquinhos fighting against five other strikers – Rossi provides another serious attacking option, but I just hope the Brazillian doesn't get disillisioned fighting for a place that he's highly unlikely to win consistently. Just remembered I've got John Fleck, who's been in the reserves, too.

The current squad has far more depth than any I've had before and the players are mostly young – the squad's average age is just 21. While that's good, the down side is that I've no idea how they're all going to get games regularly. Pleased I've got quality players, but it's a bit of a double-edged sword when lots of them don't even make the bench. Hopefully I can keep everyone happy.

91036259.png

The only person I failed to keep happy last season was Carrick, who decided he had achieved all he could, so he was sold (£22.5m to Villa, with most of it over 24 months, I think). I'm hoping Marquinhos, Ramsey, Camacho, Santon, Rafael and Fabio are still young enough to be happy playing in a few games. I'll rotate the strikers and use Balotelli more on the wing if necessary. Fellaini will be the one who I'd predict will complain, but we'll see.

Central defence is the one problem area (although Phelan still thinks midfield is lacking in depth – how, I don't know). I've got Jonny Evans as one back-up option, and I've got scouts scouring England and the Continent for youngsters in that position.

Thanks, I've just scouted both, I'll see what the reports come back like.

Played a handful of pre-season friendlies now. Rossi was scoring happily before picking up a three-week injury. Marquinhos, on the other hand, has been on fire, despite my concerns. He picked up a hat-trick in the second half of one game during a tour of Portugal, and six goals in the second half of the next, including four in 17 minutes. I know such friendlies don't count for much, but it's promising nonetheless.

Lol, Foster was my first choice in 2nd and 3rd season before I got Akinfeev for pocket change. Played well, not spectacular, just fairly solid. It's strange, when I play as United nowerdays I rarely make big signings, just rather bring in young players and develop the squad that way. Or pick up a bargain.

Anyway, behind a good defence, Foster is good enough to win plenty of shinys imo.

Asenjo becomes good. I sold Tosic (I didn't want to, but Milan offered me 11 mil, I rejected it but then he got unhappy, so then Schalke offered me 12 mil, accepted), so I signed Vukcevic, hes been doing really well for me. I also signed Kroos and Hamsik. I'll probalby build Kroos up some then sell him, because I don't use an AMC. I clinched the Premiership with 3 games left. I play Real Madrid in the CL final. Cristiano Ronaldo just tore a calf muscle in training, out for 3-4 months :(

I won CL, 1-0. I could only play Rooney a bit because he wasn't all the way fit, Ronaldo was injured, and Nani got injured right after he scored a goal. Vidic got injured but he played through it. Real should have killed me, I got lucky. They had about four corners, and Marcelo only got like two of them on target, the others swerved and went out of bounds.

Benzema is now out for 5-6 months aswell with a broken leg :(

Not really that impressed with him tbh, ive had him three seasons (well 2 and a bit due to his injury) and he hasnt been playing well at all, i adjusted my tactics too, to what was recommended earlier in the thread and also simular to other threads i have read but still no good, i traded Tosic and £10M for him so i should get a nice profit should i decide to sell him (currently worth £28.5M should go back up to £32M when hes not injured)

When he got injured i bought Rossi, he is settling in well and scoring a few. I only play with one striker because i think i can control the games better with another center midfielder. I played Ronaldo upfront and he is awsome. Would highly recommend playing him there, he has 10 goals in 5 games so far that i have played him upfront on his own.

Just thrashed Arsenal 5-0 very pleased with the result, i didnt even field my best 11, I dont really know what my best is tbh, this is the strongest squad i have ever had on a FM save before. Here is some screenies of the arsenal result.

http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50arsenaldec2010.png

http://img191.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50arsenaldec2010scorers.png

Here is my squad, http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9839/squad2010.png I'm finding it hard to keep players happy, going have to let some go. Already spilling over to the reserves with good players that could jump right into any clubs first team outside of the top 5. Interest is low in my players for a change, will probably change in january though. Ive invested about £30M in my U18s and going to invest more in the close season. Instead of entering the reserves and U18s leagues i'll set up friendlies between them both, they should be able to play against better quality opposition (being my own players) and hopefully develop better but ill need to fill the squads a little more due to double the amount of injury possibilities.

Any recommendations are welcome :)

Thats a great squad. You should be able to win the Premiership and CL easily. As long as Real don't pry Ronaldo away ;)

Anyways here is my team.

manu2squad.th.png

I'm letting Giggs' and Neville's contracts run out so I can sign them as coaches, only about 5 days left.

I'm going to sign this amazing regen

reallygoodregen.th.png

I play a 4-1-2-2-1. 4 at the back, one DM, 2 CMs, 2 wingers, and one striker. My team has some good youth. And I have a $56 million transfer budget. Who should I get rid of, and how can I improve my team? Thanks in advance.

Benzema is now out for 5-6 months aswell with a broken leg

Not really that impressed with him tbh, ive had him three seasons (well 2 and a bit due to his injury) and he hasnt been playing well at all, i adjusted my tactics too, to what was recommended earlier in the thread and also simular to other threads i have read but still no good, i traded Tosic and £10M for him so i should get a nice profit should i decide to sell him (currently worth £28.5M should go back up to £32M when hes not injured)

When he got injured i bought Rossi, he is settling in well and scoring a few. I only play with one striker because i think i can control the games better with another center midfielder. I played Ronaldo upfront and he is awsome. Would highly recommend playing him there, he has 10 goals in 5 games so far that i have played him upfront on his own.

Have you got Benzema to learn place shots? If not, do so.

Thats a great squad. You should be able to win the Premiership and CL easily. As long as Real don't pry Ronaldo away

Anyways here is my team.

manu2squad.th.png

I'm letting Giggs' and Neville's contracts run out so I can sign them as coaches, only about 5 days left.

I'm going to sign this amazing regen

reallygoodregen.th.png

I play a 4-1-2-2-1. 4 at the back, one DM, 2 CMs, 2 wingers, and one striker. My team has some good youth. And I have a $56 million transfer budget. Who should I get rid of, and how can I improve my team? Thanks in advance.

Think you need a better LB than O'Shea. :D

Archived