FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

Thats a great squad. You should be able to win the Premiership and CL easily. As long as Real don't pry Ronaldo away ;)

Anyways here is my team.

manu2squad.th.png

I'm letting Giggs' and Neville's contracts run out so I can sign them as coaches, only about 5 days left.

I'm going to sign this amazing regen

reallygoodregen.th.png

I play a 4-1-2-2-1. 4 at the back, one DM, 2 CMs, 2 wingers, and one striker. My team has some good youth. And I have a $56 million transfer budget. Who should I get rid of, and how can I improve my team? Thanks in advance.

that is one amazing regen mate. develop his mental and physical stats and you have one amazing player! please post how he develops in a couple of seasons, i would love to see it.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took me 38 games to win the league, this season as well. Should be 37 but complacency set in again, so the 37th match finished 0-0.

Then I proceeded to beat Bolton 3-1 in the 38th match which was what we needed to win it all. I'm frightened by how close Arsenal was to snatch it in the end, because we only won by 1 point.

Now I'm off to beat Villa in the FA cup final and Real Madrid in the CL final. (beat Chelsea to get to the FA final and Inter to get to the CL final. I'm quite impressed :) )

Wish me luck!

ps: Hopey, Michael Cooke has been playing really well in big games THIS season. Even scored a goal from what seemed like the midfield :D (Cooke from the regen thread, remember?)

Congrats ulrich87!

Kopsy, I'll be sure to. And btw, I usually ply Srna as LB, Santon as RB, but Srna was ineligible for some of my games. I picked up two good spanish regens (one MC and one MR), and a good English regen (AMC). I don't play an AMC, but he was good too good to pass up. What should I do? Teach him as an AMR or AML (he's 16).

This is my first 09 Treble EVER, so I'm quite exited :D

Congratulations.

Kopsy, I'll be sure to. And btw, I usually ply Srna as LB, Santon as RB, but Srna was ineligible for some of my games. I picked up two good spanish regens (one MC and one MR), and a good English regen (AMC). I don't play an AMC, but he was good too good to pass up. What should I do? Teach him as an AMR or AML (he's 16).

Re-train him as a MC?

I went the entire season with Manchester United with a perfect record at Old Trafford... it was the 35th match and I desperately needed a win to keep the pace with Chelsea. Match was against Villa.. things looked fine when Nemanja Vidic scored, then James Milner scored from 40 yards out of no where, 2 minutes later Agbonlahor scores, then he scores again just after half time... Villa had 3 shots all game :(

Suffice to say, I lost my next match at Anfield despite taking a lead through Carlos Tevez. Kuyt scored in the 86th and then Riera scored in the 90th +4. My titles hopes were all but over. :(

I finished 4 behind Chelsea but with +20 superior goal difference.

BTW, has anyone else had outstanding results with Tevez given a free role?

He scored 30 goals in 34 matches for me - and he was injured for at least 3 months during the season.

I can't get him to sign a new contract though! I'm afraid he'll leave, just like in real life! :eek::(

Rooney and Berbatov didn't do too badly either... Rooney had 26 goals I believe, and Berbatov 23. Rooney was injured for about a month as well.

Any advice for my midfielders though? I'm starting my second season, and none of them had too high an average rating. My wingers are fine though - Ronaldo had 14 goals, Nani around 6 and Tosic 4, Park 1. (Nani and Tosic were second choice and Park was more or less a fringe player).

Defence was sound though - only 21 conceded all season in the league.

Any advice on new signings?

Been given a healthy transfer budget of £42M going into the second season...

Looks as though I won't be extending Neville and Giggs' contracts and I couldn't manage to agree terms with Tevez so keep that in mind.

My squad looks like this:

GK: Van der Sar/Boruc/Foster :o Boruc was a panic buy last January... Van der Sar was injured and I didn't think Foster was ready - that coupled with the fact that I'm clueless in the transfer market meant splashing £15M on Boruc. :o

DR: Rafael/O'Shea/Simpson: I usually end up playing Wes Brown here for the bigger matches so I think I'll need a quality signing in this department.

DL: Evra/Fabio: I'm very light on left backs. Evra was injured a good bit of last season and I had to play Fabio far more often than I would have liked. Need a cheap back up for Evra most likely.

DC: Ferdinand/Vidic/Brown/Evans: 4 quality players here, looks good.

MR: Ronaldo/Park: Ronaldo is fantastic obviously. Park is decent enough as back up/utility. Nani and Tosic can also play here.

ML: Nani/Tosic:These two youngsters had good seasons last year, looking forward to their progression.

MC: Fletcher/Hargreaves/Scholes/Carrick/Anderson: More than enough players here. Scholes might be getting on, though. Hargreaves was good, Anderson and Carrick were a bit disappointing but I'm sure that'll change.

FC: Rooney/Berbatov/Campbell With Tevez almost certain to leave, I'm definitely light up front. Tevez and Rooney missed a good bit of last season through injury so I was forced to play Danny Welbeck at places like the San Siro and Wembley! Probably need a quality signing here.

All in all I think my squad is good. I definitely need a quality right back, back-up left back, and a quality striker. Remember, I'm useless at transfers and I've got £42M to spend! Thanks! :D

Any advice on new signings?

Been given a healthy transfer budget of £42M going into the second season...

Looks as though I won't be extending Neville and Giggs' contracts and I couldn't manage to agree terms with Tevez so keep that in mind.

My squad looks like this:

GK: Van der Sar/Boruc/Foster :o Boruc was a panic buy last January... Van der Sar was injured and I didn't think Foster was ready - that coupled with the fact that I'm clueless in the transfer market meant splashing £15M on Boruc. :o

DR: Rafael/O'Shea/Simpson: I usually end up playing Wes Brown here for the bigger matches so I think I'll need a quality signing in this department.

DL: Evra/Fabio: I'm very light on left backs. Evra was injured a good bit of last season and I had to play Fabio far more often than I would have liked. Need a cheap back up for Evra most likely.

DC: Ferdinand/Vidic/Brown/Evans: 4 quality players here, looks good.

MR: Ronaldo/Park: Ronaldo is fantastic obviously. Park is decent enough as back up/utility. Nani and Tosic can also play here.

ML: Nani/Tosic:These two youngsters had good seasons last year, looking forward to their progression.

MC: Fletcher/Hargreaves/Scholes/Carrick/Anderson: More than enough players here. Scholes might be getting on, though. Hargreaves was good, Anderson and Carrick were a bit disappointing but I'm sure that'll change.

FC: Rooney/Berbatov/Campbell With Tevez almost certain to leave, I'm definitely light up front. Tevez and Rooney missed a good bit of last season through injury so I was forced to play Danny Welbeck at places like the San Siro and Wembley! Probably need a quality signing here.

All in all I think my squad is good. I definitely need a quality right back, back-up left back, and a quality striker. Remember, I'm useless at transfers and I've got £42M to spend! Thanks! :D

LB: What do you think about Mattock (£5 max) ? In 2 years he probably can fight for first team place with Fabio.. Or if you want league ready player, how about Vargas (£14 max) from Fiorentina

RB: Somebody probably already snapped Srna (£15 max ), if not Glen Johnson for Englishman (£15 max), Rafinha (£15 max), Azpilicueta from Osasuna, or Zapata (£15 max) from Udinese who can play RB or CB..

ST: Always love Cardozo from Benfica, Pogrebnyak from Zenit since he already like MU as his fave club, or signed Giuseppe Rossi back from Villarreal so you have another homegrown player :)

In my game, I currently half of my first season..

Buy :

-Mattock £2.5

-Fleck £2.5

-Toulalan £13.5

-Ronaldo R9 (yeah, THE REAL Ronaldo \m/) £2.5\

-Zuculini 500k

- Sakho £8.5

-POgrebnyak £8.5

Sold :

-Kuzcack £5

-Fletcher £28

-Berbatov £33 --> He was top scorer with 15 goals and 6 assists for me.. But since he's 28 and have expensive salary ( £4.1 a year) I dont think I can get a better price for a 28 years old..

-Park £7.5

Chelsea offer Nani for £43.. That's a lot of money.. Tosic performed well.. i am thinking of selling, but I dont know who can replace him since Zhirkov got signed by City, Ashley Young got injured for 3 months.. What do you think ?

LB: What do you think about Mattock (£5 max) ? In 2 years he probably can fight for first team place with Fabio.. Or if you want league ready player, how about Vargas (£14 max) from Fiorentina

RB: Somebody probably already snapped Srna (£15 max ), if not Glen Johnson for Englishman (£15 max), Rafinha (£15 max), Azpilicueta from Osasuna, or Zapata (£15 max) from Udinese who can play RB or CB..

ST: Always love Cardozo from Benfica, Pogrebnyak from Zenit since he already like MU as his fave club, or signed Giuseppe Rossi back from Villarreal so you have another homegrown player :)

In my game, I currently half of my first season..

Buy :

-Mattock £2.5

-Fleck £2.5

-Toulalan £13.5

-Ronaldo R9 (yeah, THE REAL Ronaldo \m/) £2.5\

-Zuculini 500k

- Sakho £8.5

-POgrebnyak £8.5

Sold :

-Kuzcack £5

-Fletcher £28

-Berbatov £33 --> He was top scorer with 15 goals and 6 assists for me.. But since he's 28 and have expensive salary ( £4.1 a year) I dont think I can get a better price for a 28 years old..

-Park £7.5

Chelsea offer Nani for £43.. That's a lot of money.. Tosic performed well.. i am thinking of selling, but I dont know who can replace him since Zhirkov got signed by City, Ashley Young got injured for 3 months.. What do you think ?

Thanks for the advice mate. :thup:

I've always liked the look of Vargas, seeing as I have money to spend, he seems like a good choice.I believe Srna has been bought like you said, but Glen Johnson should be easy to get... Portsmouth have been relegated in my game so I'll have no troubles signing him. Pobgrebnyak also looks very good. Thanks! I have received some big offers for Nani, but I'd like to keep him for now at least.

Hi all ive just completed a season winning the Prem and CL im after a RB and a new GK could some 1 advise me on who would be good for these roles

I'd recommend Akinfeev (GK) and Srna (RB) if they're both available :thup:

Hi All,

Won the 1st season with pretty much no big signings (except Srna), just signed some players for the future Fleck, Asenjo, Tosic, Sakho, Saivet and Wijnaldum etc.

2nd season I sold Tosic (he wanted to leave) for 15m to AC Milan, Fletcher to Napoli for like 10m (never did the business for me) and Hargreaves to FC Bayern for 10m (regret it now). Also sold Carrick to Roma for 15m (again I regret this). I decided to go for 1 huge signing and spent 91m on Messi (:confused:). I bought in Zuculini as replacement for Hargreaves to play along side Anderson who has been awesome for me.

Currently 1st but I'm having a real issue with Messi. I'd like him to play AMC but never seems to do well.. Nani and Ronaldo are doing awesome on the wings and dont really want to change that. Asenjo has now taken over from VDS and doing a very good job.

Any ideas what I can do to.. can Ronaldo play AMC?

This is my current team:

utd.jpg

Oh.. and nearly forgot to say I sold Berbatov to Chelsea (:eek:) for 15m, never performed for me, not the player I wanted in my team.

Very nice! What position did you play him as?

I played him as attacking midfielder right, he usually plays in this position but just lately been playing him upfront, his confidence is sky high, he is scoring regularly and has an average rating of 8.76! very pleased with him so far this season, now in early feb.

Hi All,

Won the 1st season with pretty much no big signings (except Srna), just signed some players for the future Fleck, Asenjo, Tosic, Sakho, Saivet and Wijnaldum etc.

2nd season I sold Tosic (he wanted to leave) for 15m to AC Milan, Fletcher to Napoli for like 10m (never did the business for me) and Hargreaves to FC Bayern for 10m (regret it now). Also sold Carrick to Roma for 15m (again I regret this). I decided to go for 1 huge signing and spent 91m on Messi (:confused:). I bought in Zuculini as replacement for Hargreaves to play along side Anderson who has been awesome for me.

Currently 1st but I'm having a real issue with Messi. I'd like him to play AMC but never seems to do well.. Nani and Ronaldo are doing awesome on the wings and dont really want to change that. Asenjo has now taken over from VDS and doing a very good job.

Any ideas what I can do to.. can Ronaldo play AMC?

This is my current team:

utd.jpg

Oh.. and nearly forgot to say I sold Berbatov to Chelsea (:eek:) for 15m, never performed for me, not the player I wanted in my team.

Yes Ronaldo can play in the AMC role, does he have it as a natural position? Don't think he does. If he doesn’t, just retrain him.

I also find it amazing how people sell Carrick, Fletcher, etc to foreign teams and bring in foreign players. These players are loyal and respect the club that is Manchester United.

Only a game stelly? Plus each to their own. :thup:

Rio Ferdinand is 30-years-old, which for a defender is probably a peak age. Evans is an adequate replacement for Ferdinand when he retires. I'm looking for a young centre-back to cover for Evans when Ferdinand eventually retires, but it's not something I'm worrying about.

As far as Giggs, Scholes and Neville are concerned, I think they've already been replaced because in my squad they are bit-part players, simply covering for my first-team. But for me, United's squad is already settled and young and able to compete for years with the better clubs on the game.

Only 15m? I sold Berbatov to Arsenal for $47m :D Stelly Ferdinand is 30.

I know.. my own fault, didn't play him much and his value dropped loads!

I should not have sold Hargreaves or Carrick but things happen and it's only a game :)

Anything else you guys reckon I need to look at or change?

Hello everyone. Been a while since I've been posting in here, but I'm still playing my Man Utd save!

Here's my team going into the 4th season:

manutd2.th.jpg

Not really that many changes - not many needed :)

Also in the reserves I've got Douglas Costa, Fleck, Rafael, Welbeck, Saivet, Mattock, Brown and some regens (Nikolov, Christensen and Holstad if anyone remembers :) - and a couple of others). So quite a large squad, but it's nice with some depth, and with Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Hargreaves and Carrick getting older, I'm glad to have some prospects to take over.

I've got 140 mio left to spend - any advice on where to strengthen? I really don't think much strenghtening is needed, and I like to keep the squad pretty much as in real life. However, I'm open for advices :)

I was thinking about letting Fletcher go and bring in a real world-class midfielder, but I don't know.. De Rossi would probably be the one to go for. And then maybe another world-class winger - suggestions?

No.25

I would let Ben Foster go, and maybe bring in a young keeper with good potential to play in cup and easy european/league games. I dont think that Ben Foster is good enough for your squad anymore and you may benefit from a good regen (if any good goalkeepers have come through in your game) To keep Foster happy you must have played him in loads of games, with a younger keeper you could play akinfeev more :)

Edit - Also had a thought, if you are wanting to sell fletcher and bring in a world class midfielder i would highly recommend Camacho, he sould be gd by now :)

@bemerry65:

Actually I'm negotiating for Asenjo just now, as I had the same thoughts as you :)

I've decided to let the team stay as it is. Don't wanna sell Fletcher after 3 good seasons now after all.

Hey guys

Just starting a Man United save on the 9.3 patch. Not looking to make any big signings, just get in some youngsters for the future. I am a fan so want to keep it as realistic as possible and try and emulate Fergies successes.

Hey guys

Just starting a Man United save on the 9.3 patch. Not looking to make any big signings, just get in some youngsters for the future. I am a fan so want to keep it as realistic as possible and try and emulate Fergies successes.

good luck with your career :), I would recommend telling the players 30 years old or over that they will be a good coach, that way when player retire they will stay in the game and could possibly be a coach for you, I've made my players change from definately not staying in the game - thinking about the possibility of staying in the game - a good chance that they will stay in the game - definately staying in the game, with players such as Van der Sar

Giggs, Scholes, Neville (who i believe will go into management after his career ends IRL) its a great oppotunity to make use of their skills. I also went back and raided ex reds before they retired, the likes of Beckham and Butt. This made sure i would have them also :) Soon to have a backroom staff full of ex players :)

I have completed my first season winning the Premier League and Champions Legaue. My top goal scorer was Carlos Tevez who got 21 goals in 31 apps in the Prem. I have choosen not to bring in loads of players and my only transfer was

08/09 Transfers

IN:

John Fleck £3M

I have Started my 2nd season in this season i felt i needed a new goalkeeper as Van Der Sar isnt getting any younger i also have set about looking at some youngsters.

09/10 Transfers

IN:

Henri Saviet £3M

Igor Akinfeev £15M

OUT:

Lee Martin £1.9M

Manucho £2.6M

Craig Cathcart £3.1M

Daniel Drinkwater 400K

Corry Evans 725K

Tomas Kuszczak £3.8M

@bemerry65:

Actually I'm negotiating for Asenjo just now, as I had the same thoughts as you :)

I've decided to let the team stay as it is. Don't wanna sell Fletcher after 3 good seasons now after all.

I have Asenjo, quality goalkeeper, highly recommend him, his stats are good but dont improve much and also his value hasnt gone up much for me either due to other top class keepers playing in his national team so he hasnt any senior caps.

I dont blame you not wanting to sell Fletcher, he along with Neville are my favourite players IRL so its hard to let loyal servants to the club go.

EDIT - Jamie543, i understand about you not getting many players in, shame about letting Cathcart go though, he is a great prospect, plays well for me and becomes as good as Evans and almost as good as Ferdinand.

My first season in charge is going well.

I decided not to purchase anybody in either transfer windows.

I've currently won the Community Shield, World Club Championship.

I've made it to the Carling Cup Final, I'm still in the FA Cup, and Champions League second round.

I lost the European Super Cup.

My season is sort of immitating United's real-life progress, as I have a long way to catch Liverpool.

They have just slipped up and I have the chance to go 4 points behind in January.

I see lots of people recommending Asenjo - I've no doubt he's a great goalie and gets much better but just saw him score a ludicrous own goal against Spurs in a UEFA Cup game for Valladolid where his CB rolled a back pass to him and Asenjo turned kind of parallel to the goal and smacked it into the top corner from 6 yards! Never seen an o.g. like it.

This game is really annoying for comebacks. Leading Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield and they're shellshocked yet find their feet and manage to win 3-2?

I don't think so.

This is an interesting finale, with 9 games left I've just gone one point behind leaders Liverpool and I haven't been top of the league once this season.

Middlesbrough vs. Man Utd

A sensational performance from Cristiano Ronaldo who bagged hat-trick and a Dimitar Berbatov goal sent Manchester United to the top of the league for the first time this season, as Liverpool lost to Sunderland. Manchester United will be delighted after their tricky trip to the North East turned out to be a one to remember. However, Liverpool also playing in the North-East endured a bad weekend, after leading for the most of the season they now find themselves in third place after Chelsea also won, leapfrogging them into 2nd place.

Man Utd +39 72pts

Chelsea +41 71pts

Liverpool +34 70pts

has anyone signed stijn schaars and had any luck? im jus in pre season of my third season and have jsut got him on a free was wondering if anybody else had signed him .... also what about pogrebnyak to replace berbatov or tevez not sure which one to sell, im leaning more towards selling berbatov as he is nearly 30 now and want to cash in while i can

In my first season I've managed to win:

Community Shield

World Club Championship

Carling Cup

Premier League

Champions League

I lost the FA Cup Final and European Super Cup final.

Nice one :thup:

I only managed to win the Community Shield, Super Cup, and Club World Cup.

Lost in FA Cup semis to Arsenal, knocked out of the Champions League quarterfinal by Inter, and finished second (4 points behind Chelsea) in the League.

In the end it was my away form that did me in.

I had 18 wins and 1 loss at Old Trafford. My away record was quite spotty.

Hoping for better next year though!:)

Stelly ive done the same as you in the past season except i won the FA cup instead of the Carling cup, i dont know why but the european super cup usually yields a poor performance from my team, always next year though :)

Just interested to know how many seasons people have done with Man Utd and how their finances are at that time, the debt to me is fine and easy to manage, after my stadium expanded to maximum capacity and i sold many of the older players whilst letting the true servants retire to become coachs, the wages are really low, nearly £400k per week under budget. Replacing them with youngsters who are on low wages means my bank balance is now at £90M in feb (third season) it has been all the way up to £200M but with signings and shareholders stealing it along with the debt taking some before the stadium expansion, its gone back down. My squad (first, reserves and U18s i think) is worth over £400M! Looking forward to a nice fat payment at the end of the season for TV rights (champions league, and prem) and prize money :)

Archived