FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New purchases:

Ibrahim Afellay - £3.8M

Diego - £13.75M

Also I just offered Fazio a contract after an offer of £36.5M (release clause). Rio is injured and getting old, so I think Fazio will do excellent as a backup\replacement.

edit: Fazio accepted the contract, even though I offered 20k less than what he wanted :) Now we're ready!

i got offered diego at start of second season for 5 million so bought him he only played like 6 games that season so then sold him at start of my third for 15 mill...he didnt play very well for me atall...anyway i sold berbatov for 24 million back to spurs and decided against bringing any 1 else in .......im gonna give frazier campbell and keirrison a chance this season with rooney and tevez just, won charity shield against liverpool 2-0 with ronaldo and nani getting the goals and my defence looking strong as ever ben foster is still my number 1 in my 3rd season :)

@bemerry65:

My balance is 116 mio (start of 4th season).

We're the 3rd richest club (654 mio) behind Real Madrid and Barcelona.

cheers for the reply, seems as though the debt hasnt really affected us much :)

Any advice on new signings?

FC: Rooney/Berbatov/Campbell With Tevez almost certain to leave, I'm definitely light up front. Tevez and Rooney missed a good bit of last season through injury so I was forced to play Danny Welbeck at places like the San Siro and Wembley! Probably need a quality signing here.

Well if you're willing to give him a decent run this season (I played him in around half the games in Season 2), Federico Laurito would be a great buy. Got him from Udinese and now has 16-18 for the important stats for a striker. Better than Campbell at any rate for me. Worth 15million pounds in the fourth season and was leading scorer for me third season.

My final points tally was:

Played 38, Won 28, Drew 8, Lost 2, Scored 73, Conceded 17, +56, 92 points

As far as the Champions League is concerned I played Barcelona in the final and won 1-0 with a solitary Ronaldo goal, hopefully this will be the case in real-life.

I had it easy in the Carling Cup final playing Reading.

It is hard to win the league in the first season with Man Utd as you are catching up games a lot of the time, I didn't reach the top of the league until the 30th game of the season.

Start of season four, having just won the Premier League and Champions League for the third time in a row. The board have given me a budget of £53million, which I think is pitiful, considering the success. The other side to the argument, I suppose, is that winning the big ones suggests massive rebuilding isn't necessary. Squad currently the same as the start of last season: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=3215440&postcount=3985

I managed to keep everyone happy with a bit of rotation, which I'm very pleased about. Now it's the same problem as last time – where do I spend my money? I'm a bit short at the back, but Johnny Evans is in the reserves, so I've got him, Ferdinand, Vidic and Sakho. Sidnei and N'Koulou were previously mentioned as possible additions here. Can anyone recommend any other young centre-backs? I've searched for regens and there's nothing too promising.

The only signings I'd like to make, on a personal level rather than a practical one, are Messi and Benzema. Barca won't accept a penny less than £90million for Messi, which I just haven't got, even if I sell a few players. Lyon, on the other hand, appear to be having a few money worries, and will take about £28million for Benzema.

I want to sign him, but I'm aware it's not really necessary. Rooney had a terrible season, scoring just five league goals despite starting most games. Aguero was outstanding, scoring 30 in the league and averaging more than a goal a game across all competitions. Tevez performed similarly to Rooney (although didn't start as many games), while new signing Rossi bagged 20-odd goals and was the second leading scorer. Balotelli and Marquinhos were good as back-up strikers, and Marquinhos even got the nod over Tevez for the Champions League final, in place of the injured Aguero, and scored in a 3-1 defeat of Barcelona.

The only one I'd be willing to let go would be Tevez, who's now 27 in the game, making him my oldest striker. He also doesn't have the benefit of being home-grown. I think my basic question is whether I should cash in on him now and sign Benzema, or whether I should be sensible with what I've got and buy some good young players.

As a side question, what happens if I don't spend my transfer budget? Will it be added on to next year's? I think that might be wishful thinking, but I'd like to know for sure.

However, Liverpool also playing in the North-East endured a bad weekend, after leading for the most of the season they now find themselves in third place after Chelsea also won, leapfrogging them into 2nd place.

Man Utd +39 72pts

Chelsea +41 71pts

Liverpool +34 70pts

Haha, once again Scousers coming in in 3rd in a 2 horse race

gnadycoleuk Fiorillo? (sp?) has been good in previous patches but havent had him lately so dont really know how he is now

sammyseagull i think that so long as you win competitions and your wages are not much higher than your income from match tickets then you should only lose a couple of million a month so your bank balance will grow, this may mean that the shareholders get a slightly larger dividend but the board should give you a larger transfer budget next season if you dont spend it this season but it depends on success and the finances of the club.

powello i find that a 4-5-1 works well, this is 3 center mids with the two wingers in attacking midfield right and left positions and one lone striker which holds the ball up, the striker doesnt get many but the players around them do, I have the two outer center mids with arrows facing towards the opponants goal and the central center mid with an defensive arrow backwards, this means he supports the defense and often marks opposition stikers out of the game which helps to make the defensive side of the team sound :)

This tactic is not hard to set up.

My final points tally was:

Played 38, Won 28, Drew 8, Lost 2, Scored 73, Conceded 17, +56, 92 points

As far as the Champions League is concerned I played Barcelona in the final and won 1-0 with a solitary Ronaldo goal, hopefully this will be the case in real-life.

I had it easy in the Carling Cup final playing Reading.

It is hard to win the league in the first season with Man Utd as you are catching up games a lot of the time, I didn't reach the top of the league until the 30th game of the season.

In my Man U game, I thought it was really easy to win the league in the first season once you find the right tactic. As long as you have good subs and rotate (because of the amount of games you play), you should be fine. You should be able to win it first season without any signings. And that doesn't make it harder just because you are behind in games play, its all about the point. As long as you are on track with the points, you should be fine.

Hi guys and girls. I've just finished my first season with United and was wondering if there's another season left in van der Sar, Neville, Giggs and Scholes or if it's best to sell them off and promote some youth and/or buy some younger quality? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Hi guys and girls. I've just finished my first season with United and was wondering if there's another season left in van der Sar, Neville, Giggs and Scholes or if it's best to sell them off and promote some youth and/or buy some younger quality? Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Why not keep them and use them to mentor youngsters?

Considering their sale value is very low because of their ages, I've always found you're better off hanging on to them until they retire, having them as back-up and tutoring younger players, then signing them as coaches (easy in Giggs' and Neville's case, Scholes and van der Sar need convincing).

I'll never forget the time I terminated Scholes' contract in a bid to save some money in my transfer budget. He signed for Chelsea on a free and scored the winner against my side in the 90th minute at the end of season, which won Chelsea the league at my expense. Gutting. I'll never take that risk again.

I'm a couple of months into season four now, and I'm on the verge of losing interest. I've accepted the England manager's job and wish I hadn't, as it always just becomes an annoyance and distraction, for me. Considering starting a new save and resisting the temptation to sign so many players early on (pre-first season in my current save I got Zhirkov, Balotelli, Moutinho, Veloso and Srna - all stars now, but possibly at the expense of my enjoyment).

Won the Super Cup against Juventus today. 2-0. yup, I kept a clean sheet against JUVENTUS :D I used a new 4312 formation with

Evra Fazio Vidic Rafael

Anderson Gago Afellay

Ronaldo

Berba Rooney

Diego, Chiellini, Ferdinand, Nani, Fleck, Tevez and Tosic on the bench.

I'm really pleased with the debth in my squad now since I can beat Juventus and still have a star gallery on the bench :thup:

Also, I don't know what was going through my mind when I was considering selling Berbatov. He is joint top scorer along with Rooney atm, and going strong. Took him three years to adapt, but it was well worth the wait!

OK I'm stuck, tring to get united to play like real life or better, well at the mo play at all. It feels like im in control of san marino against brazil every game. Can't get the team to perform

http://rapidshare.com/files/236549074/442_Utd.tac.html

That is the tactic that I've been using. I'm in 2015 so my team has changed alot. To give you an idea of what players to play... I currently have:

GK: Steve Madanda

RB: Lorenzo Di Silvestre

LB: Evra

CB: Zapata

CB: Dave Davidson - http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3249/davedavidson.jpg

RM: Lopez Baez - http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2677/alelopezbaez.jpg

LM: Messi

CM: Veloso

CM: Camacho

ST: Ronaldo

ST: Bojan

You'll need good Centre mids and If you stick to the key stats of those players I can tell you, you won't be far away from winning the league. Hope it helps.

Recently started a game with United, going pretty well so far, 12 games in winning 11 and drawing 1. Squad is looking pretty decent too, brought in Ryan Nelsen (always been a fan), Enyeama, Owen and Srna, while selling Evans, O'Shea, Kuszczak and Fletcher for modest amounts.

Season 2009/10 update

Won the premier league quite comfortably after a slow start. Beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final and Champions league whcich meant they ended up with nothing.!

Brought in HAmsik for £31m in January and managed to offload both Nani and Love for £40m each.

In have come Aguero (36m), Balotelli (15m), Azpilicueta (16.5m), been trying to get VArgas but they won't accept anything under 40m!!!

Players I want to get rid off are Foster, Anderson, Hargreaves, maybe also Rooney (who just can't seem to perform, Marquinhos out performed both Rooney and Ronaldo playing upfront has a lone striker by miles) and Ronaldo if he starts to complain with Madrid's interest in him.

Players I am looking to sign are Lloris, Vargas, Diarra (Hargreaves plus £20m). Have £40m left.

my top 3 players of the season:

1. Matigol: 31 games, 22 goals, 16 assists ave rating 7.55

2. MArquinhos: 27 games, 28 goals, 12 assists, ave rating 7.40

3. Fazio: 51 games, 21 goals, 8 assists, ave rating 7.45

Playing a 4-3-2-1 this is my squad as it is now:

05242009105602.th.jpg

cheers croaker but I am determined to get my tactic to work, plus I was little drunk last night when I was posting. Never a good mix, was just getting frustrated. I have calmed down now lol

To ne fair we haven't lost yet just not playing aswell as I hoped but I think I may have sorted it out, we shall see

Season 2009/10 update

Players I want to get rid off are Foster, Anderson, Hargreaves, maybe also Rooney and Ronaldo.

[/url]

That is wrong in so many ways! (maybe you still didn't get it : you are selling the core of your team); not Manchester United way.

It's your fault they are not performing for you!

For what you are trying to do you should play Man City!

(Rooney CM?)

Erm...its my game so I'll play it my way!!!!

I am a Man Utd in real life so you don't have to tell me who the core of the team is, but like i said..IT'S A GAME!!!

I sold Foster for £10m and brought in Akinfeev for £12m.....twice as better...good business to me....

Erm...its my game so I'll play it my way!!!!

I am a Man Utd in real life so you don't have to tell me who the core of the team is, but like i said..IT'S A GAME!!!

I sold Foster for £10m and brought in Akinfeev for £12m.....twice as better...good business to me....

ok ok

You probably played the game with Man Utd a lot of times and considered another aproach. It wasn't my brightest post anyway. Sorry!

I have completed my first season on 9.3 and won the Premier League, the fa cup and club world cup

did not buy or sell anyone in my first season but think i might need to buy some folk to relpace the older players would Azpilicueta be a good replacement for neville or should i use rafael as nevilles back-up? and would Hamsik be a good replacement for scholes?

and does anyone now how well likes of Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Macheda, Gibson, Martin, Evans, Campbell, Simpson, Possebon and Eckersley turn out? and is ben foster good enough to replace VDS played well for me wehn VDS was out for 7 Weeks????????

how do you get scholes and VDS to stay on as coaches cause the say that they are not going to stay in the game after the retire??

I have completed my first season on 9.3 and won the Premier League, the fa cup and club world cup

did not buy or sell anyone in my first season but think i might need to buy some folk to relpace the older players would Azpilicueta be a good replacement for neville or should i use rafael as nevilles back-up? and would Hamsik be a good replacement for scholes?

and does anyone now how well likes of Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Macheda, Gibson, Martin, Evans, Campbell, Simpson, Possebon and Eckersley turn out? and is ben foster good enough to replace VDS played well for me wehn VDS was out for 7 Weeks????????

how do you get scholes and VDS to stay on as coaches cause the say that they are not going to stay in the game after the retire??

Go to Scholes and VDS's player interaction screens, you have the option there to say they would be suited to staying in the game as a manager, coach or scout. Keep telling the press that you see them as having the mental attributes to stay in the game once they retire from the playing staff and they may begin to change their minds.

Of the young players you've mentioned Evans, Rafael, Fabio and Welbeck are the most likely to develop into good squad players. Gibson is average and a back up at best, Macheda unfortunately has no future at United on 9.3.0, Martin likewise. Fraizer Campbell is decent and can score goals if given a run in the team, however there are better options out there, personally i would prefer to develop Welbeck who is 3 years younger. Simpson is ok but Rafael is a better long term option at RB in my opinion, Possebon is similar to Gibson - I have given him the occasional game and he played very well in an end of season 4-1 win against Arsenal. Eckersley is another one who you should just get rid of. Daniel Drinkwater, Corry Evans and Matt James become half decent but not good enough to star for United I'm afraid.

THanks CPS who are the better options for campbell cause i want a young striker who is quite cheap and be a partner for welbeck???

Well if you still have Rooney and/or Tevez there's no real urgency to buy a new striker. Ronaldo can also be trained to play as a centre forward very quickly. If you want to sign a striker you can't really go wrong with the usual supects such as Keirrison, Marquinhos, Laurito, etc.

How good does Ljajic turn out? My coaches are going crazy over him saying he'll be as good as Ronaldo! (I hope he is because Real Madrid stole Ronaldo from me! :mad:)

I also have a regen striker who my coaches say has the potential to be "one of the best players of his generation."

Happy days :D

Originally Posted by HFCwoodyMUFC

ben foster has been number 1 now for 4 years and is doing a superb job and he gets Man of the match awards all the time last season he had 14 so i wld recommend keeping him if i wer u he also jus won man of match in my champs league final

@luckas: i got van der sar to the point of becoming a coach but as he wanted like 25k a week i told him to get lost and retire, and scholes was having none of it, he just retired gracefully

@campbells; when you try and offer them a coach role when they are still at the club they ask for a very high wage, however if u wait for their contract to expire and leave the club then you can sign them up as coach, scout etc for peanuts in wages>>>e.g giggs on my save wanted 50,000 p/w to continue as a coach at my club so when his contract expired i released him then very next day signed him up as a coach for £550 p/w :)

thot i would give you an update on how my season went this year

2016/2017

Won the premier league(99 points), champs league and league cup

this was one of my most exciting seasons as two of my young gems have really started to light it up, veloso was pushed out of his spot in the second half the the season for david gray, who i signed from rangers and marco negrello has been starting almost every game since the second half of last season

negrello.th.png davidgray.th.png

in the premier league, arsenal pushed me all the way to the 37th game, with them eventually ending up on 92 points, a very respectable achievement, liverpool went into administation again for the second time in my save, this time im signing oscar trejo from them for just over £3million

the league: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9230/premier1617.png

the squad: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6959/manu201617.png

on the national front: i resigned from spain after a disapointing european championship campaign and have decided to try take italy back to the top, they are languishing down in 18th in the world, buffon is 39! and my backup is 35, so im on a search for a younger replacement, as the current u21 GK is not good enough...yet

thanks for read, any questions

I finished 6th in 09/10 thanks to a complete collapse in April. It was probably the closest title race you could imagine - there was really nothing to separate between the top 6. In March I was in second place only 4 points behind City, then after 6 games without a win, I just fell apart. I finished with 2 wins but it was not enough - 76 points level with Liverpool in 4th and Spurs in 5th but a poor goal difference meant the Euro Cup for me. :o

Surprisingly the board rewarded United's worst ever Premier League finish with a brand new contract! :D

I'm disappointed with my transfer budget though, £44M despite raking in £70M for Ronaldo last January.

I definitely need a new tactic because mine seems to have been found out by the AI :rolleyes:

So if anyone has a 4-4-2 tactic they've had success with for United it'd be much appreciated. :thup:

Anyone come across this guy? Picked up for just over £1m in the first season from Hadjuk Split. Been doing well for the reserves and u-18s. McClair reckons he can be better than Rooney as an attacking midfielder and close to Ronaldo as a left winger. I think that is optimistic to be honest but he could be worth a punt at a cheap price:

ticinovic.jpg

@campbells; oh i see your in 2016/2017 and i was wondering if you could let me know what youngsters utd have at the beginning are worth keeping atm i still have frazier campbell and am trying to give him as many games possible to help him progresss further. ron robert zieler si another 1 i am keeping hold of in hope he will become number 1 atm he is umber 3 behind kuszcak(no:2) and ben foster (no:1)...as when we signed zieler he was rated as 'one to keep an eye on' , basically just let me know any/ if any of them youth team that you kept and seemed promising thank you

09/10 Season

Ok just coming into the middle of January im top fo the Prem on 49 points after 19 games

Transfers:

IN:

Sakho £15M

Out:

Danny Simpson £3.3M

Competitions:

Community Shield:

I was drawn Against Arsenal who i beat 2-0 with Anderson and Hargreaves getting the goals.

Euro Super Cup:

I managed to seal this trophy by beating Sampdoria 3-0 with Johnny Evans, Rooney and Tevez scoring.

Club World Champ:

I beat Oaska AC 4-0 in the Semi Final with Berbatov scoring twice with Rooney and Scholes scoring the rest.

In the Final i beat Flamengo 2-1 with Fleck and Wes Brown scoring

Carling Cup:

Ive managed to get to Semi Final with whom i have Newcastle. I have Beaten Arsenal in the Quarter Final on penalities

FA Cup:

The Fa Cup has only began i got drawn with Ipswich in the 3rd round who i beat 3-0 with Fraizer Campbell getting on the score sheet.

Champions League:

I have made it threw the group stage winning my group

hey guys, my current wingers are Nani, Ronaldo, Giggs(losing his talent), Tosic and Ljajic. I am wondering whether i should buy Juan Manuel Mata from Valencia for £20million. My transfer budget is £65million and I have no major signings I am looking to make. I have enough wage budget aswell. Wonder you guys opinions on him. Im on patch 9.3 and start of third season.

Archived