FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even notice it in the bottom. Problem solved now though.

Now I can never end this save. Not after this.

Although I'm thrice the manager Alex Ferguson ever was (yes, it's true) I'm still not an icon nor a legend.

I chose him as my ass man for England, so every week he provides me a list of matches for me to attend to watch possible candidates for the national team.

Of course first you have to assign him to a competition. I assigned him to the CL.

Soulblind, is the club still in debt or have you got rid of it all?

The £510 million debt is still there until 2035 but I have a surplus of 300 million. Which now of course is gonna be used to build the new stadium.

I use Lorenzo's 4-4-2 wonder tactic, takes a while to get going but turns into a very reliable winning tactic.

Cool, trying it out now thanks (Have managed narrow wins in a couple of games so far)

What strikers are you using with it? I'm not sure if I should sell Tevez and get a different type of striker to partner Aguero or Rooney when they're not both playing

Thanks again

So guys, I've just come to the January transfer window in the 3rd season of my United save and here is my progress so far:

Transfers (January)

In

Domenico Gallorini - Napoli - £4.4m (http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3406/34domenicogallorinirege.jpg)

Jack Rodwell - Everton - £2m

Out

None yet

Squad Overview

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4083/manchesterunitedjanuary.jpg

Individual Awards

October Premier League Player of the Month - Ronaldo

September Premier League Manager of the Month - Khan

World Team of the Year - Fernandez & Ronaldo

European Midfielder of the Year - Ronaldo

Other Individual Awards

World Player of the Year - De Rossi

World Footballer of the Year - Torres

European Football of the Year - Torres

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gomes

European Defender of the Year - Micah Richards

European Striker of the Year - Torres

Competition Summary

After surrendering the League to Arsenal last term, my players seem really determined and driven to regain the Premier League as they lead the Gunners by 1 point, with a game in hand. A fantastic start from the side has included massive victories against Liverpool and Chelsea at Old Trafford but the statment result came courtesy of a 2-0 stunner at the Emirates. Despite this setback, Arsenal have been very consistent so far and will be very dangerous in the second half of the season. Liverpool are just behind playing very well and moneybags Man City occupy the final Champions League place. At the other end, the three promoted sides Ipswich, Wigan and Crystal Palace are all struggling and it's most likely that it's going to be Championship football next season.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5079/englishpremierdivision2.jpg

My players are trying to win their 4th consecutive Champions League in a row this season and have come through as group winners with our only setback at Villarreal. Otherwise, it was a 100% record from the side. In the knockout stages, the first opponents are Portugal outfit Porto with the advantage of having the 2nd leg at Old Trafford.

The only trophy that seems to elude me at the moment is the Carling Cup and my players must wait another year to challenge for it again. After comfortably disposing of Leeds in the 3rd round, the team were knocked out agonisingly on penalties by Everton at Goodison Park.

My quest to win the club's record 13th FA Cup begins in just a week as my players visit Deepdale to face Championship side Preston.

In the match between my Champions League winners and UEFA Cup holders Arsenal, the Gunners were victorious as Adebayor snatched the glory in stoppage time:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/791/manutdvarsenaleuropeans.jpg

On Boxing Day, my team retained the World Club Cup with a resounding 6-1 victory over Brazilian side Cruzeiro with Tevez notching up a hat-trick:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7100/manutdvcruzeiroworldclu.jpg

So then guys, what do you think of my League campaign so far this season? Can that squad hold out to regain the Premier League and also, can they go and win yet another European Cup. What are the other chances of a repeat of the 1st season treble? What changes to the squad do you think I should make if any during the winter transfer window?

Any feedback and suggestions much appreciated

Gonna start a new game with ronaldo gone for 80m and tevez gone ( using the editor ).

My question is - who would be a better partner for rooney? Aguero or Benzema?

And who would be the best for right wing? Balotelli, Marquinhos, Young or ( Nani on right ) Silva.

Many Thanks,

currently in the middle of January 2012, I have finally managed to sign 2 of my targets. Armed with a £350m budget I got Mata (from Milan) for £48m and Vargas from Fiorentina for £50m. Over-priced but had no option, especially Vargas has Fiorentina have had a few good years in Seria A. On the other hand sold Tosic to Barcelona for £60m, although his old club got 20%. Oh well.

Two best results of the season so far:

06202009220205.th.jpg

06202009220305.th.jpg

Hey guys, I'm trying to sign a quality CB to eventually replace Ferdinand.

Sakho is at Chelsea and is way too expensive, Chiellini the same but I can buy Zapata for around £20m. He looks quality but is he worth that?

Thanks in advance.

£40m for Fletcher and £17.5m for Park? Untitled User FTW :D
Sold them both to Man City and structured the deals the way I was instructed to by adonis. He is right about the transfers.

Fletcher deal was £20,000,000 upfront, £10,000,000 over 24 months and another £10,000,000 after 10 games.

Park deal was £2,500,000 upfront, £5,000,000 over 12 months and another £10,000,000 after 10 games.

na. its easy to get that sort of money for any player. first off man city will offer 45m cash for fletcher at the start of the season. and any other player you want to get big money for, you reject bids saying offer is not good enough and before they pull out (have to use your initiative to know when) you change to payments over 24 months and you get bigger money.

This totally came out of the blue. I had never asked my board for a new stadium. I just had to post this since this has to be the proudest moment in my 15 year FM/CM history.

manuarena1-1.jpg

well done, never had that before. you got a lot of money in the bank then?

Hey guys, I'm at the start of the third season, and after two very successful seasons with Barcelona, winning everything in sight, I have resigned to help out Utd. After seeing them finish 4th in the league I just couldn't have it, and after winning the World Cup with England, I quickly took the open manager seat at Utd (Ferguson retired, which is weird as I've never seen him do that on this game, tbf I only play a game for around 3 season then get bored). They gave me a hefty sum of money to spend, £106m to be exact, heaven knows where they got that.

Whilst I was Barca I signed three of Utd's most promising players: Nani, Anderson and a regen called John Robertson. I've only been able to bring back Robertson for £11m, the other two are untouchable (Well, I had an offer accepted for Anderson at £37m but he just didn't want to know, even though I'm on his favourite people list :(). I'll be back at the end of the summer once I'm done doing my business and making Utd the team they should be.

I signed Darijo Srna and im nearing the end of my first season and he has been amazing for me. he's played in 38 games and scored 25 goals and got 28 assists and i still have 16 games left in all competitions. He was also named World and European player of the year.

My other CBs next season at the moment are Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown & Evans. Would it be better to loan out Evans as I've hardly ever used him so far in the 2 and half seasons?

If you don't ever use him, loaning him out would be a good option. But personally I prefer having two CB's for backup so I wouldn't. :D

Spend my most ever on a transfer today, ST from barcelona, 92 million if all the clauses are met... Ive had my eye on him for a while, and this season i seemed to be struggling for goals in my first 3 games, so i bought him.

Scored a hattrick on his debut with an assist in a 5-0 thrashing of reading. Im expecting a 6 game drought now :(

i have no regrets,

vaessen.th.png

Tackling: 11

Technique: 16

------

Teamwork: 16

Workrate: 16

i had no fast strikers, as rooney and torres are old now :( i have a world class scottish striker, beast with his head and stuff but not very quick, 14 pace

also, buying him sent my valuation over the 1billion mark for the first time ever, funny considering the amount spent...

Right I'm back, so with the money I had I quickly got to work finalising some very big-name deals.

I managed to successfully unsettle Robinho and get him for a lowly cost of £16.25m. I plan to use him at AMR, with Ronaldo at AML, so both can cut inside and rape their opponents freely. In another mouth-watering deal I brought in Sergio Agüero for £47.5m, an awful lot of money, infact it's only £2.5m short of the £50m I once paid for Adriano on FM06 ha :D But, I wanted him badly, even when I was at Barca, so getting him for that price doesn't bother me too much. I also managed to prise away the young Arsenal starlets, Jack Wilshere and Armand Traore for about £5m each iirc. I also needed a keeper (VDS's too old and Foster isn't rated highly enough on this :(), and with Ochoa available at £8m, I couldn't resist so he came in and took the No1 shirt. I also brought in Jack Rodwell at £5m (another English talent to go with Jack Wilshere) and James Vaughan (back up/future rotation) and finally, Ignacio Camacho for a nice £14.25m (release clauses are good) :)

I also sold Berbatov, Park, Simpson, O'Shea, Manucho, Gibson for a combined total of about £25m. (Berbs wasn't needed after Agüero came in)

My upfront is quite something to drool over though :cool:

Tevez/Agüero - Rooney/Agüero
Ronaldo                                                   Robinho

Soulblind - You couldn't post up your achievements could you? I've never seen anyone get so far in a FM save, well done mate. Hats off to you.

I thought I was doing well managing United in 2014 and just about to (hopefully) lead England to a World Cup win! Already won Euro 2012 and the Confederations Cup with them, so here's hoping!

Hi Guys,

Ben Foster has become unhappy and wants to leave because he wants a new challenge. I want to find out if anyone knows whether this will pass after a couple of months maybe? Or will he remain unhappy until he is sold?

I never keep a player at the club against his will, ive let vela, balotelli and a regen called aranda go because they wanted a new challange. I just sign new (usually) better players, i dont think its fair on them even though they arent real people.

Ok, I've been England since 2011, having won Euro 2012, the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup. Having done that, I'm in 2 minds whether to stay on and try and win them all again, or to leave with "my head held high"....any opinions?

I tend to leave after winning trophies with nations, get back to club work and then try it all over again with a different nation.

I took spain to the euros and resigned after them, i noticed italy were way down the rankings in 21st place so decided to take that job when it was offered to me and try return them to former glory. I certainly wish i had taken the holland job as my italy career was poor, failing to qualify for the world cup and getting fired!

Yeah I am actually leaning towards resigning as England Manager. I’ve just been offered the chance to manage Brazil and lead my 2 full backs, Rafael and Fabio to world glory but I have so many English players that are key in my United squad. Here’s a list of my first team squad:

GK – Ben Foster

GK – Sergio Asenjo (although he’s in talks with AC Milan due to becoming unhappy at being 2nd choice since 2008)

DF – Rafael

DF – Fabio (Can also be used as an attacking left-sided Midfielder)

DF – Micah Richards (just signed from City for £35.5m)

DF – Jonny Evans

DF – Mamadou Sahko (covers LB whenever needed)

DF – Jack Rodwell (Utility player, covers RB, CB and DM whenever needed)

DF – Sergio Ramos (Just been put on the transfer list due to the arrival of Richards)

DF – Silva (A regen: potentially a very good CB)

MF – Owen Hargreaves (although now approaching 34, he’s been my Vice-Captain since the start and instrumental in my success)

MF – Theo Walcott (Deployed as my attacking right-sided midfielder)

MF – Jack Wilshere (Deployed as my attacking left-sided midfielder)

MF – Michael Johnson (Deployed as my attacking central midfielder)

MF – Freddy Adu (World-class cover for either Walcott or Wilshere)

MF – Wesley Sneijder (Cover for Michael Johnson – plays his fair share of games and gets more goals than Johnson. Can also do a job cover the wings)

MF – Kaka (Like Sneijder in terms of versatility, approaching his 3rd season at the club. 2nd season was rather disappointing mainly due to the form of Johnson and Sneijder. Will listen to offers)

MF – John Bostock (Under study to Johnson and Sneijder. Not really improving so am willing to sell)

ST – Wayne Rooney (Absolutely my best player. Man Utd and England Captain. Approaching 29 and will be gutted when he calls it a day. Just hope he wants to stay in the game!)

ST – Federico Macheda (1st choice strike partner for ‘Wazza’. Has turned out to be amazing!)

ST – Sergio Aguero – (What can I say about this guy? Happy to bide his time, and scores plenty when he plays)

ST – Karim Benzema (Similar to Macheda – world-class. Unfortunate that he played in the French side that I beat in the World Cup final)

ST – Mike Vincent (Regen, another Englishman. Potential to be a quality player)

*Missed off John Fleck and (another) regen, Lewis Dove - Attacking Midfielder

I am now entering my 3rd season with United, having had two pretty succesfull seasons before.

1st Season won the prem with 106 points, won the FA Cup, Club World, Super Cup and Community Shield, however i lost the League Cup final and the Champions League Semi

2nd Season i reatained my Premier league, this time "only" 97 points, also won the FA Cup and Community Shield, but lost in the 3rd round of the League Cup and again suffered CL semi-final heartbreak.

I won't go through my transfers for each individual season (unless somebody wants me to) but will give you a breakdown of my squad

Goalkeepers

Van Der Sar - had a good first season but now just letting him run out his contract, when i'd like to take him as a coach, excellent at tutoring my young keepers

Asenjo - my undisputed number 1, however have never been totally convinced but from what other people say i will stick with him

Have three very talented regen goalkeepers, one i signed for 6.5 mil is my number 2 now, and signed two young englishmen as well, who are starting their development in the reserve and under 18 teams

Defenders

Evra - very good left back, had a sensational first season, quieter second season but no real challenge as of yet, though Mattock and Fabio are developing nicely

Ferdinand - What a player, now described as a legendary centre back, 1st season AR 7.26, 2nd season 7.42, also scores many goals, nearly all important

Vidic - Another good CB but has found himself a bit in the shade due to Ferdinands amazing form and wanting to develop my other CBs

Evans - Has become an instrumental part of my defence, i have no qualms playing him as he has become superb, AR over 7 in both seasons

Sakho - my 4th high class CB - signed for 17mil at the start of the 2nd season, gave him games had had offers of 20mil for him but will keep hold of him because he will become my number 1 CB. Occasionaly plays LB

Rafael - came from the reserves to number 1 right back in the 2nd season, very creative, alot of goals come from his side and have rejected bids of 15mil from chelsea to keep hold of him

Santon - got him january 1st season, and had an amazing start to his man u career. 2nd season he had a few injuries, and found himself playing more of a bit part role due to rafaels emergance, and gary neville had a good season (now only a coach). Seems to perform better at RM, though i see him as a RB

Those are my main defenders, although i have again invested in youth to sign many more; Mattock everybody knows about, also Fabio, 5 quality regens and am also trying to develop Craigh Cathcart

Midfield

Capoue - a new signing for 5mil (had him offered to me looked pretty good), havnt used him yet so can't comment

Zuculini - signed for quarter mil, mainly back-up so far, but had great stats and will play more this season

Camacho - The best 9mil i have ever spent, dominates the midfield and scores the odd goal as well

Beckham - signed on sentimental reasons for the 2nd season, played RM and CM and suprisingly did very well 25 games, 9 goals and an AR of 7.2, his stats are holding up well as well

Ribery - signed for 25mil for 2nd season, started slowly but became an integral part of my team, leading assist maker

Anderson - has become world-class, though i don't play him as much as i maybe should do

Scholes - getting on a lot, poor physical stats mean he can't play 2 games in a row, though i get him in for big games

Collison - one of my first signings on the basis of a good scout report, never given a chance and is now unhappy so his man utd career could be ending

Ramsey - payed way over the odds for this lad (26mil), however he is already a good prem player, and will become a key player this season

Ronaldo - pure quality, left him as a RM/RW, average ratings of 7.5 both seasons, lots of goals and assists, rejected bids of 70mil+ from real madrid last two summers, still happy at the club, will never sell him

Nani - has plesently suprised me being an excellent backup winger on either flank, Despite Giggs being LM in my 1st season best eleven, and Ribery in the 2nd season, Nani is the LM in the overall best eleven. Accepted a bid of 17mil for him but he decided not to go and glad he did now

Again i have some other players coming through, plenty of regens, some i signed, though a couple of the best ones came through my academy, which is nice, have Lljaic, Boudebouz, Wilshere, Assulin, Canales and Bostock, but struggling to bring them in because i have so manmy midfielders in the first team squad

Strikers

Tevez - solid first season, second season nothing short of inspriational 29 PL goals and an average rating of 7.42, was shocked when Ronaldo beat him to player of the year

Rooney - has been very Rooney-like in real life, broken foot meant he only played 16 Pl games last year, only scored 6 but got 9 assists, when going with a lone striker i went for Tevez always though

Barlotelli - Just signed for 10mil which i personally think is a steal, i though i was a bit light upfront when Rooney was injured last year, will be 3rd choice to begin with

Wellbeck - Played a lot when rooney was injured before getting injured himself, didnt see him again last season, already looking good and nicks some crucial goals but would like to see him improve even more

Sturridge - signed on a free, gave some chance in Cups, but never scored and really needs to improve or he will be pushed down the pecking order by some of my up-and-coming strikers

I've got one excellent regen up front, have signed Fleck as well and will try to bring him in this year, try and get him 15-20 games, having only featured intermitantly last two years, or i may loan him out, now sure. Really thats it in terms of good back-up. Delfouneso, Macheda and Pettruci are okay but nothing special and don't look like becoming special either.

My main goal this year would be to win the champions league. Do think my general first team needs to be strenghtend or just continue to sign wonderkid youngsters such as Sakho and Ramsey?

I have just bought the game today, ive started my first season as man u, any ideas on who to get rid of and who to buy?

you can sell fletcher to City for £30mill, Ask for more transfer and wage spends... Then you should be set..

And as for who to buy, Vagner Love is a guarenteed Scorer (£15m) Or Trezeguet (£12m)

Asenjo is a good Prospect in goal (£8m)

Beckham is a fave at the club and i usually make him captain, a popular move after buying him (£5m)

Zapata is a good prospect on the right of defence for under (£10m), Opare and Santon are good cheap alternatives (£200k and £1m) Respectivly

Enjoy.

you can sell fletcher to City for £30mill, Ask for more transfer and wage spends... Then you should be set..

And as for who to buy, Vagner Love is a guarenteed Scorer (£15m) Or Trezeguet (£12m)

Asenjo is a good Prospect in goal (£8m)

Beckham is a fave at the club and i usually make him captain, a popular move after buying him (£5m)

Zapata is a good prospect on the right of defence for under (£10m), Opare and Santon are good cheap alternatives (£200k and £1m) Respectivly

Enjoy.

That has enough to get me started, thanks.

I'll add to that:

John Fleck from Rangers would be a good acquisition. A bid of around £2.5m-£3m will secure his signature.

Miguel Veloso and/or Joao Moutinho from Sporting Lisbon are quality players and both will be available from around £15m each.

Fraizer Campbell, currently on loan at Spurs during your 1st season is worth keeping hold of once he returns.

Cheers

I'll add to that:

Miguel Veloso and/or Joao Moutinho from Sporting Lisbon are quality players and both will be available from around £15m each.

I usually offer 5m Up front, 2.5m over appearances and 2.5 over goals... For both of them

Sporting cp usually come back with initial offers of around 6m each and an overall price after clauses of 12m each

Bargain XD

Archived