FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

I would say VDS, Neville, Scholes, Giggs would not be good enough for the third season....

Personally, I don't think Vicente is good enough for Manutd, nor Antonio Bryan or Ivica Olic. What happened to Tosic?

RB, I would suggest Cesar Azpilicueta.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry forgot to answer your question:

DR - Azpilicueta, de silvestri, Srna, rafinha are all pretty good.

DC - i would suggest Sakho but he might cost you alot now as your in your 3rd season.

AML- Ben Arfa depnding on how much budget you have.

Thats a comfortable win :p My biggest have been 19-0 against Newcastle Town.

Actually my last game was quite decent as well.

unavngivetd.jpg

I allways tend to have a shitty last 55-60 min of a match if i score some fast goals. Which is the case here as well :(

Quick question - Ive put this in the buy or sell thread but thought i would get some more responses here:

Rooney is unhappy and wants to leave for R.Madrid! He has been unhappy for months now and wont sign a new contract. I think it's effecting his performances and to be honest, he has been my most unimpressive player throughout the season. Also his value has plummeted to £12m. Im on 9.03 and almost finished 1st season. My other strikers are Berba, Tevez and Cardozo ( Cardozo being my most impressive )

Do you think i should sell and if so, what's a reasonable price for him?

I would never ever sell Rooney. Mostly because i think he's an amazing player IRL and he's a loyal Man Utd player. And give him some time or try to play him different. He has allways been good for me, after 4 seasons he have scored 132 goals in 226 appearances with an average rating of 7.23

Kugle

I feel the exact same way as you mate, i have never sold Rooney in all my time playing FM!

My only problem is i hate keeping players im my squad who are unhappy and want to leave, just ashame its Rooney :(

Im my experience, players who dont sign a new contract and want to leave never play the same as they should!

I think i might have to restart my game :(

sorry for double post:

stuartM

Transfer list Fletcher at the start of the game and sell him to Man City for £40m ( at least ) I usually sign a left winger to contend with giggs; Guardado, Zhirkov, Ben Arfa(maybe wait till next season for him) Sign some youngsters for the future - Sakho, Fleck, Saivet, wijnaldum( might be pricey ) and then also i usually sign another striker -- Balotelli, Cardozo, Hulk, Vagner Love! See how you go from there.

Things are picking up after a sort of slump of scrappy games. I think Hulk has settled and has returned 14 goals in 21(3) appearanced. Balotelli has 11 after finding recent form, although 4 of those did come against Maidenhead in the FA Cup. Introducing Laurito into the team in my lowe-end cup games and hes score a handful. Rooney is finding form, but sadly this still means he's only scored 7 goals in near enough 30 appearances. Giovinco is on fire again this season, 10 goals and 14 assists in 28 games. Ronaldo has 10 goals to his name too.

Got a promising regen defender who I have being tutored by Rio. And since I want to remain some English at the club, signed Mattock for 3.5ml in January transfer window and have given him Tutoring by Evra. May try get another young defender, there's one who looks promising in the French League, Loïc Nestor playing for Le Havre but all my bids have been rejected thus far.

10 days left in the Window, secretly hoping someone comes in with a bid of £25ml for Rooney as i've tried everything and he just won't score and next season I don't think i'll need him anyway.

In the summer before third season, thinking of having a major clear out of my squad, I think I can do better.

Starting a new game on 9.0.3 with an update for the latest transfers. As you know i do not have Ronaldo and Tevez, however i do have Valencia, Owen and the promising frenchman Obertan. I am going to go on holiday for the season just to give the date a bit of realism and all players ages ect. before i go on holiday however im just going to sign a few youngsters like saivet, wijnaldum, jose baxter ect.. although i only have 14 million, could anyone reccomend any players i could buy with that and who i could sell ect before i go on holiday. many thanks

Starting a new game on 9.0.3 with an update for the latest transfers. As you know i do not have Ronaldo and Tevez, however i do have Valencia, Owen and the promising frenchman Obertan. I am going to go on holiday for the season just to give the date a bit of realism and all players ages ect. before i go on holiday however im just going to sign a few youngsters like saivet, wijnaldum, jose baxter ect.. although i only have 14 million, could anyone reccomend any players i could buy with that and who i could sell ect before i go on holiday. many thanks

Depends where you want your youngsters position wise, look at Moussa Sissoko, Beevers, Sandro, Tales, Walter, Razvan Ochirosii, Kroos, H.Barbosa, Opare etc. Not sure you can get them all for only 14Million though.

I thought I would post my season, well I have only played half a season because I have been reading through 33 pages on this thread before doing so, therefore I don't have to duplicate ask questions that have already been answered.

I will start with my last game, now I know how it feels like being a manager, if you sit and scream, cheer and shout during a game, then you have the feel for FM2009.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/181/thematch.jpg

When Santa Cruz scored, since I had the upper hand during the match, I went berserk, I am happy I was home alone. At halftime I used one of the better tools available to you as a manager "Teamtalk" and it helped as you can see. What have I done? Well I have taken a tactic which we will call unknown and then I have altered it to where it works best with my formation, it took me several matches before I figured it all out. For you who complain on payers, for you who praise players, it depends on your formation and your tactic, it is never the player, it is you as a manager who have to adjust your tactics, perhaps even your formation. I have team instructions as well as player instructions, all custom for my team so it works best and I think that finally I have found what fits my team best. Please do not forget, I go to the extent, I don't know what you do as a manager but a game for me is nothing that is completed within two minutes...I do pre, half and post "Teamtalk" without the assistance of the assistant manager, 3-6 times during each half I consult with my assistant manager in concerns to tactics and pro/con with my players, therefore I know what needs to be changed in my tactic. I pay great attention to pre-match reports in concerns to players, for instance, players who have a hard time adjusting, or players that are over confident, this can be fixed with "Teamtalk". I only wish there was a way to send a player to language courses because some of my players do not speak a word of English...and that can really destroy morale and motivation.

So this is my save 2, it has worked worse in regards to my save 1. I sold/bought more players with my save 2 and that is not always the solution for a better team, hence Manchester City...it can easily destroy morale and the determination to succeed because it turns out to be a competition in concerns to the amount of cash flow in the club and the salaries given to the players. We will be proven so when the Premier League launches for 2009/2010. So, even though I regret selling Tevez, I will find a way to succeed without him, he is a very good, very talented and extremely easy player to convince as a manager.

I will now present what has transferred for me during my first season (including the December/January transfer window, I play in $ dollars $ because I lived in the states for 10 years and now I have moved back to Sweden and no I will never buy Zlatan for my team, check out Marcus Berg though, he was a wonderkid at the U21 championship this year, however not a wonderkid in FM2009 ;)

I don't really like selling to rivals, so if I did I do apologize, and if I sold someone that is a legend to you, then again, I had my reasons.

Transfer Out

Manucho $6.5M to FC Nantes (not performing well and not needed)

John O'Shea $10M to City (in the real world he is really annoying me sometimes when he plays, sure he is a good backup and performs in several positions, but...)

Darren Fletcher $38M to City (Fletcher is a work horse, has always been, will always be, but when I can make a fortune on him, then I will have to let him go)

Tomasz Kuszczak $8M to Stade Rennais F.C. (what can I say, he is a third or fourth string at the best and not a future replacement for VDS)

Carlos Tevez $41.5M to Arsenal (my only regret and foremost that Arsenal bought him, I recieved no other offers and Arsenal hanuted me for him)

Owen Hargreaves $25.5M to Tottenham (Owen is high maintenance because of being injury prone, and he will not succeed in Tottenham, have played them after I sold him and they performed terribly)

Park Ji-Sung $12.5M+$1.1M loan fee to Dortmund (Park needs another challenge because he has no room in my squad, he is a great backup but I could never rely on him in FM2009 like United does in the real world)

Transfer In

Adem Ljajic $7.5M (decent player, scouts recommended him but did not slot him as a high quality + he is only 17 so we will see what my academy can build)

Henri Saivet $11.25M (future quality player and has always been a rock for me in FM2008)

Mario Balotelli $15.5M (I need a young and talented striker, Balotelli fit the bill and works great in my tactic but still needs lots of training and adjustment to the English playing style, possibly a value buy meaning I can make a fortune on a future sale)

Mamadou Sakho $12.5M (my future replacement for Evra, he is also young and needs training but he gets a few matches here and there + they speak the same language)

Sergio Asenjo $12.5M (my future replance for VDS, he is not at the quality right now and has a tendency to not be able to keep a clean sheet but he has won me games)

Matias Fernandez $14.5M (I needed another attacking midfielder and a backup for the left wing, however I am training him for the right wing so he becomes flexible, the only problem I am having is the language problem, he speaks no English and it disrupts his match rating)

Alexis Sanchez $15.5M (this talent is great, both at the either wing and as a backup striker, very consistent)

Veloso Miguel $17.5M (my Hargreaves replacement and he has been very consistent, I use him both as a DM and as a CM depending on if I play home/away and who I am playing)

Darijo Srna $32.5M (trust me, this started out around $48M or so and I got it down to $32.5M, it took the whole damn summer but he was worth every cent, incredible replacement for Gary, however Wes Brown is staying as I will train him to flow into as central defender backup as well + I am training Darijo to be a backup for Ronaldo)

John Bostock $8.25M (greedy Tottenhamn wanted $8.5M but he looks good for the future + he is ENGLISH)

John Fleck $4.2M (great future midfielder, a steal)

Davide Santon $9.5M (this talent is amazing and definatly will fight with Srna for playtime)

Loan Out

Rafael to Antwerp

Henri Saivet to Antwerp

John Fleck to Antwerp

Possebon Rodrigo to Antwerp

Davide Santon to Antwerp

For the future I am wanting to bring some English talent to the team, Walcott is great and I want him. Have been scouting Jose Baxter and Joe Mattock as well. Frazier Campbell is a keeper so he will either battle for striker time or I might sell Berbatov since Rooney is stealing all the goals from him. Two English strikers at the peak of my formation in an English team, that would be a big achievement. There are several other youth and reserve team players that can and will earn a spot in the first team.

Let's end with the players that I have not sold and why I have not sold them. There has been discussions over and over again about managers that are having problems motivating and relying on certain players that are members of the first team squad when you take the job.

*Edwin Van Der Sar (has been great, and definatly staying to continue as a goal keeper coach)

*Patrice Evra (world class, irreplaceble)

*Rio Ferdinand (legend, can not be replaced, he is a great defender, a great captain and has always been loyal to United, bred at West Ham, grew at Leeds but succeeded at United)

*Nemanja Vidic (my personal favorite, if I could make him immortal I would, it will be a sad day when he retires for me, I will never let this amazing defender out of my hands)

*Michael Carrick (United diamond, wish he would have joined United years ago, great midfielder, bred at West Hame, grew at Tottenham, bloomed at United, has a rocket long distance shot when he is given the opportunity)

*Wayne Rooney (Born by Everton, success with United, a true English bred champion, he has an incredible foot, scores tons for me)

*Ryan Giggs (legend, no word can describe his talent, he is going to retire as a couch for me or as a manager, he has played from United since he touched a football)

*Dimitar Berbatov (well he just joined, I thought I would give him a chance, he had problems at Tottenhamn, scored 1:2, he scored more at Leverkusen and has been average with me, has a motivation problem)

*Wes Brown (he has always been great and looks kinda rough but there is draw towards him because he has talent and plays great crosses, he joined the United academy at the age of 12, he is bred and grown by United, never forget that)

*Jonny Evans (might not be Ferdinand...yet...but still a wonderkid for me, he performs mistakes as everyone else does but you need to give him game time)

*Ben Foster (my third string and I think I will keep him because he hasn't done any worse games than Asenjo, he just needs game time as well, so I use him where a win does not matter or for a team I know I can beat)

*Gary Neville (another legend and will never be sold, he will retire as a coach or a manager, this legend has never played for any other club than United and has a brother that misses United greatly, he always makes comments that this would never have happened if I was still with United)

*Nani (what a GEM, he is absolutly incredible and has the most amazing long distance goals, what a talent)

*Christiano Ronaldo (I feel that sooner or later Real will start chasing him and he will beg to be transfer listed, this is beyond talent and will almost be impossible to replace)

*Anderson (now this is my biggest dilemma, he needs much game time, he can be good but I don't know when and how. He has bad days and good days, wildcard for me)

*Paul Scholes (absolut legend, born the same year as me, born and raised in Manchester, and has the temper of a bull, he still scores amazing goals for me and has so much experience, couch or manager after retirement)

In my 5th season Veloso wants a new challenge. So i'm trying to sell him.

Got a offer £58m for him from Real Madrid, should i sell him or keep him ? He mainly plays DMC or DL (Got Carrick and Camacho on DMC and Vargas and Baines on DL)

Might be a stupid question as its alot of money :p

I am currently in year 2012, won the Premier League champions in three consecutive years but drop to runner-up having the same point as Arsenal.

I am currently using a tactic with only one ST with often forward run, and almost the rest with mixed. I like my players to play passing game besides only relying the pace of my wingers and fullbacks to break down the flanks.

I have my players with high pass completion and I also try to create a tactic which is good in passing and look like the way Man Utd is playing now. Below are some screenshot of my team:

manchesterunited2.jpg

manchesterunited3.jpg

englishpremierdivision2.jpg

I have no one yet to get into the goalscoring table, which is the problem I am facing now, finding a good way for my striker to score more. However I am happy with my players at the top of passing completion table.

And now the real team of Man Utd is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Sadly I can't watch them in the stadium as I am in Penang.

And I am here to look for fellow managers who like passing games and hope for some feedbacks from you all about my team as well. Thanks!

I'm in my 3rd season at Man Utd. I just signed Messi on his release clause.

What is the best way to play Ronaldo and Messi together. I play a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-2-2 formation. My front four is usually Messi, Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney. The team is playing well but Messi never seems to score while ronaldo and rooney are getting goals with ease.

Also I now have 5 good wingers and I want to sell one. Who should i sell out of Guardado, Nani and Giovinco. What price can I get for them?

Keep Nani, and you may either choose Giovinco or Guardado and I would suggest that you could get rid of Giovinco.

If you are using Ronaldo and Messi as wingers, you may start Messi (strong left leg) on the right and Ronaldo (both strong legs) on the left as both of them can cut inside to score. You may consider for them to swap position as they are harder to be marked.

Another thing is, is it Messi still having problems of language barrier or blending in your save?

It has been an absolutely dire season this year. My games are extremely scrappy, only one or two players have been outstanding. I conceed too many, don't score enough. Didn't win the games I should've either.

Thinking of a major rehaul this summer. Going to sell alot of players and bring more in. I still need to get a good tactic on the go that will consistently get me results. Bah.

I haven't enjoyed this season at all. My strikers are so inconsistent. My defence has leaked like a faulty tap and Akinfeev hasn't exactly been the brick wall he has been for me before.

I did not win a single trophy this season, oh apart from community sheild :( I ended up 4th in the league as a matter of fact, that is a personal worst for me.

I'm thinking players out could include:

Berbatov

Rooney

Foster

Fletcher

Nani

Just need to compile a list of players to bring in, one of which MUST BE a goalscorer. And also maybe find a good tactic beforehand to get players to suit my tactic.

Have you tried tweak or changing your instructions for him?

Many times. I have had him unlearn longshots, that which he said he'd do, but hasn't really stopped. Even when long shots are really. I've had him to run with ball. I've had him playing FWR, FWL, AM with forward run and a FW with a backward run. Tried giving him high creativity and free role, that didn't work either. He's always been one of those players for me.

I wouldn't mind if he got good ratings but he just doesn't.

I think I may try play down the middle this season. I have great wingers, but none of my forwards have amazing heading. Although Hulk isn't too bad.

Sounds as if you’re not having the luck, give it a little more time for him. ;)

Haha, maybe.

Real just offered me £70m for Ronaldo. Now £53m of that is over 24months. But £70m is £70m :eek:

Sobriquet. Seeing as you play Man Utd, you should get some better players than Hulk, Giovinco, Felipe, Mattock etc. Thats just my opinion, you must have loads of money available for transfers.

Mattock is for the future and to keep some English in my squad. Felipe is a decent regen and Giovinco has been my best player 2 seasons running. And I have about £60m to do the business third season. Although I think i'm going to accept the £70m for Ronaldo.

Back on the netbook in my mothers so cannot play FM at the moment.

When I left my save earlier this is how things panned out. Marquinhos chose me over Valencia in £13m deal. I bid for Camacho on his release clause, bargain at £16.5m. He asked for £93k/w wages, I negotiated to £70k just because he is so young so will see how that pans out.

Foster out for £7.5m, Fletcher and Berbatov out for £11.5m each. Real offered me £70m for Ronaldo, £17m upfront and £53m over 24 months. I negotiated to £40m upfront and £30m over 24 months :D

Had £60m near enough transfer budget as I said i'd win the league, even though, after such a dreary season, they only expect me to qualify for Europe. So after my buys and with the incoming money I should have £70m to play about with to get another striker and defender.

This season I am looking to be able to create two fantastic squads but one slightly better than the other and the odd few youngsters.

I shall keep you posted after i've done all my transfers :D

Damn just bought Kuzmanovic to take over on the midfield from carrick. But now Gago demanded to be transfer listed, and i can now get him for £14m. Worth getting him even though i have Camacho and Kuzmanovic for next season?

I messed about on the editor to make sure United signed all their summer transfers at the end of 2008/2009, then started a save. In my first season with original squad this is how I did:

quadn.jpg

I started the game purely to experiment with tactics but now as I've edited so the new players IRL come in I'll have to change around a lot! So I've started a tactic from scratch for season two. It revolves all around wing play and hopefully Berbatov and Owen being supplied by Valencia, Nani and more importantly Rooney - who had a miserable season with injury last season.

Expect and update after pre-season of the new tactic. If anyone wants screens of last season, just ask. ;)

Damn just bought Kuzmanovic to take over on the midfield from carrick. But now Gago demanded to be transfer listed, and i can now get him for £14m. Worth getting him even though i have Camacho and Kuzmanovic for next season?

Not worth it Kugle. :thup:

--

Diego Birtles

Congrats with your season. :thup:

After 3 perfect seasons without loses in Premier League and generally brilliant performances overall, my opponents begin to score totally lame goals.....

The usually match atm is i get a lead in the first half. I have all the possession and a lot of shots on target. However in the last 10-15 min of the game they score a goal from a long shot 35-40 yards away from goal. So the last few months i've had alot of bad results.

What am i doing wrong?. Im using mainly thebetterhalfs tactic sets combined with Knaps now and then.

Edit: Well last game of the season vs. Reading im leading 4-0 at half time :p This game is strange sometimes

Might be closing down problem. It just seems stupid that i have all the play all the shots on target and then suddenly a long range shot from the middle boom!

At first i blamed Fiorillo for being a **** poor GK, but then it happened to Akinfeev as well.

Anyway overall it was a decent season... scored 114 goals in premier league, i lost 4 games though :(

Archived