FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of help with setting up my two centre midfielders for both Man Utd and England. Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves are the two players that i'm trying to develop a partnership between. I've been trying to develop them into a partnership much like AC Milan use with Pirlo and Gattuso. Pirlo is the deep lying play maker who pulls the strings and Gattuso is the tough tackling midfielder that offers Pirlo the protection to do what he does best. I see Carrick in the Pirlo role and Hargreaves doing the other one.

Carrick has mentality of 16 and everything set to mixed except through balls which is often. CF is 10 and closing down 17.

Hargreaves has a mentality of 14 and everything set to rarely except through balls which is often. His CF is also set to 10 and closing down 17

I've been playing a 442 but in actuality its more of an 4411 formation as i get Rooney to drop into the hole. I've been slightly struggling with this too at times. I have Rooney on a mentality of 16 and my other striker with a mentality of 19(Berbatov and Ashton). It works well for the two target men as they have been getting plenty of goals and Rooney is also scoring a number of goals but Rooney tends to have a poor rating if he doesnt score and sometimes he doesn't come deep enough to be involved in the play and is just a passenger in games.

Rooney's individual instructions are: mentality of 16, CF of 15, closing down 17, everything else set to mixed except through balls which is often

Anyway, if i could get any help with either of these two issues i'd greatly appreciate it.

Firstly is either player in the MC or DM slot? I would try dropping Carrick's mentality by quite abit (you want him pulling the strings from the space at the back, not pushing further up-field from his starting position) and increase his creative freedom also. His closing down doesn't have to be that high, but it's up to you.

I'd also drop Hargreaves mentality a little more. Have you tried Rooney with RWB on often?

Firstly is either player in the MC or DM slot? I would try dropping Carrick's mentality by quite abit (you want him pulling the strings from the space at the back, not pushing further up-field from his starting position) and increase his creative freedom also. His closing down doesn't have to be that high, but it's up to you.

I'd also drop Hargreaves mentality a little more. Have you tried Rooney with RWB on often?

Hi Hopey,

Here's a screenshot of my formation:

manchesterunited4.th.png

Also here are the individual instructions that i'm using for each player in question:

Carrick:

manchesterunited3o.th.png

Hargreaves:

manchesterunited2.th.png

Rooney:

manchesterunitedb.th.png

Any tips or suggestions you have would be extremely welcomed!!

I'd be using Scholes in the Carrick role so i'd probably keep the same instructions for him there, but with Anderson, i'd like to play him a bit further advanced with either Hargreaves or Carrick. I see him as more of an attacking midfielder in the MC role than a deep lying playmaker like Carrick. What sort of CF and passing should i give him?

What instructions are you using on him at the moment?

right now, im hes one notch above normal for menatlity, createve freedom, one notch below normal, passing style in middle - mixed, fwr - rarely, rwb - mixed, long shots - mixed, through balls - oftern, crossing - rarely, marking zonal, and sometime a free role and hold up ball. but like i said i vary it all the time. just keep getting average ratings

I'd be using Scholes in the Carrick role so i'd probably keep the same instructions for him there, but with Anderson, i'd like to play him a bit further advanced with either Hargreaves or Carrick. I see him as more of an attacking midfielder in the MC role than a deep lying playmaker like Carrick. What sort of CF and passing should i give him?

If you want him more attacking then increase his mentality, have his CF around 14/16. Passing can be anything between short, mixed or direct to be fair. I might even tick free role, so he can try to find more spacing on the pitch.

right now, im hes one notch above normal for menatlity, createve freedom, one notch below normal, passing style in middle - mixed, fwr - rarely, rwb - mixed, long shots - mixed, through balls - oftern, crossing - rarely, marking zonal, and sometime a free role and hold up ball. but like i said i vary it all the time. just keep getting average ratings

Increase his RWB on often, and try with FR on mixed. You might want to mess around with his mentality a little as-well.

How much you guys will pay for this RB?

92703816.jpg

Currently finish the 1st season. My RB are wes brown, gary neville, davide santon and rafael. Santon and Rafael are not quite ready for regualr first team action.

This is the deal that Osasuna come up with. Should i buy or look for cheaper and better alternatives ?

quiteexp.jpg

Is Srna not availiable to buy? Most of the time Man City snap him up but for £12/13m he's brilliant for me. Bar him, perhaps Jerome Boateng? Usually costs £5/6m and can play both RB and LB easily. I bought him first season and he did great until I brought in Srna. And 2nd season, Rafael did the trick for me also, even in the Prem. Played something like 25 games so he's good enough IMHO.

Wondering what people think of this guy. Steve Rowley (20, 20 scout) says he's 6* potential, but it's looking like he'll cost around £10m to buy. For a 16 year old, I'm not sure but his tackling, marking ect look good for a DC already. Views?

bateman.jpg

would player neither of those GKs until they get alot better imo Mooono

Not now. I have Mandanda and Asenjo. Just wondering if they looks good enough to potentially play first team GK in the future ^^

my team so far in 3rd season

gk-akinfeev/asenjo

dl-evra/harry (regen)

dc-fazio vidic rio bartolome (regen touted next migel angel nadal)

dr-srna santon

mc- anderson camancho with llajic cover

ml-silva/fleck (amazing stats at the mo)

mr-Messi/Tosic/santon

st aguero rooney/fleck

back ups- ustari saivet and a few good regens sold foster van der sar brown o shea rafeal fabio evans gibson obertan owen valencia (on an update) carrick hargo fletcher berbatov and a few other youth players too

How much you guys will pay for this RB?

92703816.jpg

Currently finish the 1st season. My RB are wes brown, gary neville, davide santon and rafael. Santon and Rafael are not quite ready for regualr first team action.

This is the deal that Osasuna come up with. Should i buy or look for cheaper and better alternatives ?

quiteexp.jpg

I actually paid 28.5m for him lol. Might be too expensive, but he's been brilliant and sold C Ronaldo and Tevez for 71m and 50m to Real Madrid so I don't really mind:)

hi folks coming into my second season now, ive got the same team i started with exspect i sign mario gomes, ribery and hamsik, sold berbatov, and valencia, you guys got any ideas on who else i could sign

Well, depends on how much you have really. This is who I think you should buy;

GK: Mandanda, Asenjo or Akinfeev -

Asenjo is cheapest (£8.25m), Mandanda is middle (£17m), Akinfeev (£20m+)

DL: Sakho, Marcelo -

Sakho is v.good prospect for future (£15m), Marcelo might be hard to get (£20m)

DR: Srna, Boateng -

Srna is my first choice for 3 seasons so far (£13m), Boateng - good all round defender (£6m)

DC: Zapata, Kjaer -

Not really needed as with Rio, Vidic, Evans and O'Shea you should be fine for a season or two more. Zapata (£12m) Kjaer (£13m)

DM: Camacho -

Simply love the guy. Brilliant for me over two seasons now, though with Hargreaves and Carrick you may not need him yet. Still, buy now to save on later. (£10m+)

MC: Danny, Vukcevic -

Again, not like you need to sign anyone for MC with Carrick and Hargreaves, and frankly these are more AMC than anything. Only buy if desperate. Danny (£10m+) Vukcevic (£9m)

ML/AML: Alexis Sanchez -

Probably the only player I could recommend, as Tosic is solid there for meand Nani should be really good there too though I sold him. Although a striker, he's v.good on left wing. Sanchez (£9m)

MR/AMR: Giuliano -

Probably my favourite buy of FM09. V.good AMR who I played as my back-up AMR confidently for 2 seasons (on loan now). Bargain too. Giuliano (£1.5-£3m)

AMC: See MC basically.

ST: Saivet, Aguero, Aquino -

Saivet is key here I think. Only costs around £8m to get and is immense even playing a few games. Aguero is obvious and Aquino I think is very good for arund £6m.

There my suggestions, but thats what went well for my game. Get back to me if you want some more help.

have a lot of momey really as didnt spend big first season an i made some good money thi sseason selling tosic for 30 million to real madrid, i signed aguero, looking at right back and a midfielder that will score goals for me will look at boateng as rb looks fairley decent

Bromi88 - I agree with Nevrin, Chretien is more attacking. But Srna is also good at Free Kicks and attacking the wings. Depends whos availiable and who's cheaper.

As for your midfielder problem, depends what you need. Camacho is a v.good defensive mid, Hamisk is v.good central mid and perhaps Vukcevic, Wijnaldum or Anderson is good for attacking mid. IMHO, I'd say snatch up Camacho now. About £15m should do. I say this because even if it doesn't work out, you could easily get £30m next season. I managed to buy Danny for £10.5m and sold next season for £30m. Same with Pandev, £15m - £30m to Madrid. :D

i am currently managing milan and after having won the treble like 4 times in a row and having a bank balance of around a billion i have got a tiny bit bored with milan

last season united did poorly finishing around 5th and in the summer they were signing really old players on frees

being a united fan i couldnt bare to see them like this so i decided to take one of their back up keepers on loan for the season paying them 40 million pounds for this deal

i hoped this would mean they would start could buy decent players and they would start playing well and winning things again

i thought of it sorta like they were my feeder club

it gets toward the end of january and they are 15th in the league and still havent bought anyone, so i decide to take another reserve player on loan till the end of the season, this time paying them 100 million

i know this is crazy but its not like i need the money at all

a few months on they are still performing woefully in the league and Paul Le Guen(uniteds current manager) hasnt got the sack

im thinking if he does get the sack il takeover and have a real re-building challenge as the squad is in a terrible terrible state

i know thats a bit of an essay but i just hate seeing my team do so badly with AI managers

anyone else done anythign like this?

Honestly, even if you don't like him after a season, he'll sell for like £30m so you'll still make money on him. Though I doubt you'll not like him. He's immense for me. I play with him and Hamsik in midfield, Camacho the more defensive one and they are great together.

I'm gonna start another Man United game on FM 2010. I generally do pretty well, not really divulging into transfers in the first season except for a few youngsters, usually Fleck, Santon etc.

But the one problem i've had throughout all of my United games is beating Arsenal. I just can't play against them, and even get thrashed when i play them at the Emirates, normally around 4-0. I just can't work them out. What tactics do you guys use against them?

Hi guys,

start of the season, using weegie patch, I can get either Hulk for 11 mill or Vagner Love who is unhappy at CSKA Moscow for about 14.5 mill. Who should I go for?

Cheers.

Simply put Vagner Love. At least in the games I've played he's been v.good. Never played Hulk so wouldn't know. And for only 3.5m more I'd say Vagner Love every time.

I'm gonna start another Man United game on FM 2010. I generally do pretty well, not really divulging into transfers in the first season except for a few youngsters, usually Fleck, Santon etc.

But the one problem i've had throughout all of my United games is beating Arsenal. I just can't play against them, and even get thrashed when i play them at the Emirates, normally around 4-0. I just can't work them out. What tactics do you guys use against them?

Its by no means a guarantee of success, especially at the Emirates, but make sure you have a high defensive line with the whole team on an aggressive closing down strategy. Its pointless letting them pass it around the edge of your box as they'll exploit you time and time again.

Oh and try to kick Adebayor out of the game early doors...

Ah, that's the opposite of what I usually attempt tbf, i usually play deep, low closing down as i thought they'd just pass right through me if i close them down to often. Worth a go i guess, thanks for the help.

I'm pretty good when it comes to playing Liverpool/Chelsea, so it's annoying when i constantly get thrashed by the Gunners.

Anyone got advice on how to improve Merchandise sales?

I currently have American and Japanese commercial feeder clubs and will look to get a Chinese one as my 3rd one. I make roughly £3-4m a month out of them, but surely I could make more.

Someone suggested tours, so I'm currently touring America, then on to Japan, then on to China before the season begins.

Anyone got some other ideas I could try out?

Can some1 post Jonny Evans in his peak? 25/26/27 and is a regular starter...I need to see his full potential stats...Plan to sell him becoz i have zapata, sakho and hummels along with vidic and ferdinand...Plan to buy Rodwell too

Archived