FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. I had a 10 point advantage, then got Arsenal for four games straight. League Cup first leg, BPL, FA Cup, League Cup second leg. Annoyingly this sent me on a spiral - lost two games and drew so lost my lead to City. Thankfully Birmingham drew against them, so 1 point ahead with about 12 games to go.

My word!! I was hoping we didn't go into a spiral after the defeat at Madrid, luckily I won the next game 3-1!

Got 2nd leg now, at Old Trafford but Ronaldo's out after being victim of a vendetta in the 1st leg! Hope this away goal comes in handy!

Wish me luck!

Update

2nr9g9.jpg

Total domination! Shame about Sneijder though. Think the instruction "hard tackle" on Diarra went to his head!!

Cheers. You're right - I should!

Just been drawn against Valencia in the semi-final. The winners will play either Inter or Man City in the Final. An all Manchester final perhaps?

I beat Valencia in the "UEFA" Cup Final last season so I should have the edge!

FA Cup semi-final now. Against Liverpool. Just hope my team are mentally shattered!

Hard luck man! :(

I'm 1 game away of retaining the League title. Next up: Liverpool at Old Trafford. How sweet this could be!

UPDATE

A 2-0 win (goals from Rooney and Benzema) saw off Liverpool and confirmed us as Champions!

My bank loans are costing me 6.7m every month, so far in this season (second) I've lost £60m... Why the hell is my income so low? Am I the only one who's got this and is it anything to worry about? Seems pretty bad at the moment.. the media are starting to pick up on it now too

My bank loans are costing me 6.7m every month, so far in this season (second) I've lost £60m... Why the hell is my income so low? Am I the only one who's got this and is it anything to worry about? Seems pretty bad at the moment.. the media are starting to pick up on it now too

You're not alone mate. Last season I lost £79m. So far this season I've lost £71m!

Just win trophies and look for commercial feeder clubs.

I experienced that before, won everything in the 1st season..Then going into the 2nd season things started to get ugly, Rooney went 800 minutes without scoring, and i had draws against mediocre sides in the league at home eventhough i had 20++ shots and dominated the game...It's not the greatest feeling when you go from 4 a quadruple to 1 trophy or even nothing..LOL

It's crazy! Suppose it can happen in real life though - although I doubt Wazza will go 800 minutes without scoring!

In terms of my my team (above). Like I've said, Foster, Brown, Hargreaves and Owen are definitely on their way. Brown wants a new challenge, Foster asked for a move and Owen's contract is up and has been a waste of space! I am going to offload Rio as well. With Rodwell coming in, I'm told he has the potential to be as good as Rio and with his wages not even in Rio's league - that'd save me money. James Chester has spent the season on loan and has done well, so I may promote him to the first team during Pre-season and see how he does.

I've agreed a fee with Chelsea for the goalkeeper, Enyeama - £7.5m. He's happy to be a back-up although I suspect by Christmas he'll be moaning!

Giuseppe Rossi is coming in for £17m, he'll take Michael Owen's place in the side but the dilemma's here:

Should I sell Dimitar Berbatov? The thing is, in both seasons so far, he's had a massive injury layoff (around 4 months per time) so he's missed almost half of the 2 seasons. He came back at the tail end of the season and grabbed the 3rd goal in the Champions League Final so I'm torn as to what I should do. I have Henri Saivet, Eden Hazard and Danny Welbeck waiting in the wings. Not to mention John Fleck!

Decisions, decisions!!

If you wait too long to sell he'll lose his value, I normally sell him in the first season.

Good to see I'm not alone in losing money, although I did make a profit in the first season - I think I made about £50m, this was after winning everything except the premiership (:mad:) though

Good point actually. I'll sell him this summer. Think I'll send Welbeck, Hazard and Fleck out on a season-long loan and bring in another striker along with Rossi.

At least you didn't get knocked out of the Champions League Group Stage in your first season!

Welbeck doesn't look as though he's progressing very well, which is why I want to send him out on loan.

I'll upload Ronnie's stats when I get home this evening. Stuck in a place called work at the min! Dammit!

Hmm, I'm not convinced you should let Ferdinand go just yet Adiee. He has an immense influence at United and it will take Rodwell a number of years to even come close to his level, certainly I've never seen James Chester make that kind of step up. But good luck trying, always good to see an attempt to develop the young players that start at United (Rio is a brilliant tutor for young CB's though), I've been trying the impossible in trying to get Reece Brown up to some kind of standard. He has improved dramatically but is still only about League 1 quality!

I got £17m for Michael Owen from Chelsea which was great value considering he totally flopped for them with about 5 goals all season, also got £11m for F. Campbell and £7.5m for Wes from Villa which allowed me to take Moutinho off their hands. I like Hargreaves though, scored some great goals for me last season and is another great mentor for the youngsters.

You reckon? I'm just thinking that, with Pique and Vidic as my first choice, the last thing I want is Ferdinand becoming disillusioned and with his wages being so high, I thought that if I offload him, everyone wins. I understand where you're coming from with Rodwell, I have signed him with the future in mind. I've been scouting Ryan Shawcross since the beginning of the game and I was thinking of bringing him in to replace Ferdinand.(?)

Owen's been my biggest disappointed. Can't wait for him to go! Rossi is someone who I'm really looking forward to coming in and I may go in for Marquinhos at Palmeiras to replace Berbatov.

I'm going to see how he performs in Pre-season - and am going to organise extra friendlies for the youngsters - in order for them to get more game time with me!

Well I guess if he isn't going to be a 1st team regular now may be the right time to sell as his value will start to dip dramatically as he gets into his thirties. Maybe around £20-25m would do the deal? Personally I would keep Rio for another two seasons, use Pique as back up in the first and then slowly phase Rio out in the 2nd (2011-12 I think). This is what i plan to do with Evans + have Cathcart and Danny Wilson (young CB from Rangers, check him out) progressing nicely. Also you have Rio as a mentor even if he isn't playing regularly which could be important if you're bringing Rodwell in.

Owen is very poor, was amazed and delighted when Chelsea came in with that offer. I like Berba, think he's greatly underrated in FM09, as a lone striker with service to feet as a target man he's superb - 23 in 34 starts i think he had for me last season.

Oh, on Welbeck, he was developing brilliantly for me in the 1st season. Chipped in with a handful of nice goals too, unforunately he broke his ankle in the 2nd season which curtailed his development for 3-4 months. Hoping he can bounce back in season 3.

I really am in 2 minds about Rio to be honest. Looking at his stats (above): 3 goals in 19 appearances, 1 assist and 1 MoM. Compared to Pique: 5 goals in 52 appearances, 3 assists and 1 MoM. Rio certainly didn't do badly when he played. I think I'll keep him (man I change my mind as often as I have hot dinners!)

Definitely not going to change my stance on flogging Berbatov. Like aardvarked mentioned above, he'll lose his value as the game goes on! Will check out that Danny Wilson though!

To be honest I'd never heard of Danny Wilson before but spotted him playing for MK Dons after Rangers let him go (not a great sign granted!) and he looks very good indeed for an 18 year old. Prob random stats, can't post a screen as I too am in work and have just moved house so no internet yet.... disaster.

Very briefly;

CB - Does not dive into tackles, stays back at all times (although not common)

RB - Runs with ball down the right (if he's attacking), does not dive into tackles.

LB - Runs with ball down the left (if he's attacking), does not dive into tackles.

You can add 'gets forward whenever possible' if you want, or stay back at all times for full backs if you want them to be alot more defensive.

DM - plays short simple passes, stats back at all times (optional)

MC - tries killer ball often, plays short simple passes, arrives late in opposition area (optional), gets into area.

ML/MR - runs down right/left.

AM - runs with ball through center, tries killer ball often, arrives late in opposition area (optional), gets into area, place shots (optional)

That is only very brief, might have missed a few possible PPM's. ;)

Jesus, the quarter final draw for the Champions League was fixed.

Man U v Arsenal (both ENGLAND)

Valencia v R. Madrid (both SPAIN)

Sampdoria v Inter (both ITALY)

Ukrainian team vs French team

Now thats just fixed :(

Had Arsenal in League Cup, FA Cup, Champs League now.. :(

A few notes there - £7.5m for Enyeama? Could of gotten Asenjo for £8m. Michael Owen on a free? Could of gotten at least £5m I would have thought. Brown for only £3.2m? Could of gotten at least £10m.

But then again, each to their own. I've seen people sell Berba happily for £10m.

Rodney Sniejder, good buy. :D

A few notes there - £7.5m for Enyeama? Could of gotten Asenjo for £8m. Michael Owen on a free? Could of gotten at least £5m I would have thought. Brown for only £3.2m? Could of gotten at least £10m.

But then again, each to their own. I've seen people sell Berba happily for £10m.

Rodney Sniejder, good buy. :D

Asenjo wasn't willing to "talk" if his team status was 'back-up".

I only gave Owen a 2-year contract but was willing to extend if he did well - he didn't. So out he went.

Brown wanted a fresh challenge, so as soon as the transfer window opened, I offered him to all clubs and he opted for Spurs. Around 25 clubs had bids accepted for him. Talk about freedom!

I offered Berbatov to all clubs too - and it was down to Inter and City to battle it out for him as they were the 2 clubs who offered dead on £30m. Gladly, he chose Inter.

Archived