FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

True, either would've been fine but you now have an un-fillable void in right wing. Nani will be quality this season on the left but Valencia looks like he is struggling to find his rhythm amongst world class players. He looked out of place against Arsenal and Clichy was all over him.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought Rossi in for 20.5 (minimum fee). Nice replacement imo as he is five years younger and hes stats are pretty even too berba's.

Real madrid player im guessing...

You dont need any other players apart from right wing and maybe a QUALITY forward.

I will tell you, nearer to the time. But by that time, the press will have hold of it - and it will shock the footballing world. He will be one of the stars at the World Cup too. Fee's likely to surpass the £50m mark also....

If it does happen though... weird.

If we're going down conspiracy lane, it might've been a year-long-expensive loan! Madrid pay United 80 Million for Ronaldo. United, this time next season, sign Ronaldo for 50 Million and use some of the other 30 to buy out his contract there. Or Madrid buy out his contract and the thirty million is for the inconvenience of loosing your best player. This is all within the FM game though right? ;)

Seriously though, do you actually know and/or heard of anything from the United camp about next years signings?

Nice signing by the way

If you want my view, it's this:

Ronaldo will return to United one day. I believe that. Fergie believes that, or at least I think he does.

I sense by the way he talks about him (still) - Fergie never really continues to praise players he sold (apart from the fledglings)

Ronaldo will not settle in Madrid, I can say that for sure. Everything was built up for Ronaldo here, and he will miss that.

Who will the first person he's on to when the going gets tough (which it will, it always does at Madrid)...Fergie.

He'll be back!

If it does happen though... weird.

If we're going down conspiracy lane, it might've been a year-long-expensive loan! Madrid pay United 80 Million for Ronaldo. United, this time next season, sign Ronaldo for 50 Million and use some of the other 30 to buy out his contract there. Or Madrid buy out his contract and the thirty million is for the inconvenience of loosing your best player. This is all within the FM game though right? ;)

Seriously though, do you actually know and/or heard of anything from the United camp about next years signings?

Nice signing by the way

Yes, that'll be correct.

I dont think it'll be a loan thing but he might return to United, I think so too. Madrid wont do well this year or next because they arent a team, still, and they dont have the culture or the balance of Barcelona. Madrid seem more a group of individuals really. This was highlighted by the 3-2 (narrow-ish) win over osasuna, i think it was. A team with players like they have shouldnt be conceding two goals against opposition like osasuna.

I think Fergie will wait till next summer, and with £50m from Ronaldo deal, and £30m we get every season no matter what, he'll bring in Aguero, Silva and Douglas Costa.

Plus Alexis Sanchez is saying if Man Utd go for him, he'd go without a word. ^_^

Going into this game against stoke I was still unbeaten in the league, but had drawn my last 2 games(again Rooney and the strikers not performing) and ManCity is breathing down my neck..Guess what happened

111bc.jpg

2222cx.jpg

They even had a man sent off on the 52nd minute in the 2nd half so i change my tactics to all out attacking and time wasting rarely to the limit as well as push up defensive line to the limit..If it wasnt for Rafael freak goal(it was like beckham's goal from the midfield for ManUtd last time) I dont think I would still be playing it until FM10 comes out..Rooney had a rating of 6.3.............Now tell me dont we just Hate(and love) this game?

You can't expect to stuff every team just because you have the better players. Plus Stoke effectively won United the title lost season by holding Liverpool to two scoreless draws. If it had been Bradford Park Avenue or the like in the Cup and that had happened I might agree with you, but not another Premier League club who've parked the bus, these things happen and you still won. ;-)

PS - all out attack rarely works, even in that scenario. Against the 10 men I'd go very wide and have a reasonably slow tempo, just pass them to death and the opportunities will come.

You can't expect to stuff every team just because you have the better players. Plus Stoke effectively won United the title lost season by holding Liverpool to two scoreless draws. If it had been Bradford Park Avenue or the like in the Cup and that had happened I might agree with you, but not another Premier League club who've parked the bus, these things happen and you still won. ;-)

PS - all out attack rarely works, even in that scenario. Against the 10 men I'd go very wide and have a reasonably slow tempo, just pass them to death and the opportunities will come.

Lol but what does Stoke holding Liverpool to 2 draws have to do with this? I had 37 shots and 3 of them got off the bar, when was the last time a premier league game had this kind of similar stats? I dont recall any..And actually I've seen worse in FM where there are 50+ shots and they still lose..

I dont think going wide is the right thing to do there if u look at my crossing percentage, if all out attack rarely works, same goes for high attacking too..Nonetheless, it depends on how the players perform on matchday.

Tbh I have seen games like that, Liverpool mates of mine still bang on about a game where Liverpool had in excess of 30 goal attempts at Anfield against Sunderland, who had none. The score 0-0. Their game at Anfield against Stoke is relevant from last season when they battered them and just couldn't score. I also remember a game at OT where United conceded an own goal against Sunderland early and then proceeded to absolutely lay siege to their goal, - the result 2-1 to United with goals from Beckham 82', Scholes 90'. These games do happen.

Back to FM, playing wide doesn't necessarily mean swinging crosses in, if you play wide against 10 men it opens up more space so the 10 men are stretched and gaps appear in the back 4. Not having a go mate, don't worry!

Ok, just one more sort of related point on this and then let it go honest. Aston Villa recently won 3-1 at Anfield in a game that pundits generally agreed that Liverpool were terrible and Villa deserved their win based an solid defence. Had what happened to Liverpool in this game happened to a player in FM I guarantee you’d see a thread suggesting the game was ‘broken’.

Liverpool created a host of chances, Friedel played like a ‘bugged’ goalie and in the end they only scored once. Villa on the other hand scored from an OG, the ‘corner bug’ (in the 2nd minute of injury time when there was only supposed to be one!) and a soft penalty given away by supposedly one of the most complete players in the world. I honestly can’t remember Reina making a significant save.

The aftermath, Benitez gets hammered from all corners, O’Neill is hailed for getting his tactics spot on and Liverpool’s captain apologises for an abject performance! Stats don’t tell it all, but anyway back to FM and back to work for me...

This season will be a nervous one. I have a nasty feeling that we could do very badly. But if Valencia does settle in he will be quality.

We played really badly in the Arsenal match, even though we won. I hope the team settles and we play better.

Im not feeling positive about United this season at all. This is coming from a neutral (even though United are probably my teams biggest rivals ;)) as I just enjoy watching the premiership for the quality of football. Valencia doesnt look up to the task really. He looked quality at Wigan surrounded by below-par players but now he has a squad full of world-class players he is looking shaky. I hope for Uniteds and the EPL's sake that they turn it around but in all honesty, Europe might be an issue this season. City are looking amazing, they are doing a Chelsea when they first got money, winning games by 1/2 goals all the time. Arsenal look quality also with just a lack of experience and imo Chelsea will win the league as Drogba is firing on all cylinders nowadays. I dislike Pool a lot, but they are always there or there abouts when it comes to it. Good luck to United I say, Id prefer they came second over Pool anyday.

Obertan, for me, is coming good. He is playing Ronaldo-esque all the time. Sprinting down the right, rounding players and really causing problems. His ratings arent showing this but pretty much every highlight is based around him/nani. I have a good feeling about these two on FM.

Ahhh :( 1 - 1 against Fenerbahce, penalty for United in the 87th minute... Srna is off injured and I forgot to change Penalty takers... Boateng with a rating of 9 is taking my penalty... nervous times... and he plants it straight down the middle, its saved. What a joke. The AI is messed up. In the event of your penalty taker being taken off (Pirlo, Ronaldo and Srna all out) surely they should assign the best penalty taker from then on?

Anyway, off to work! Got a phone call at 6am telling me my shift is at 12 not 6. Thats annoying. Happying FMing x

Hello friends :)

I have just started a game with Man Utd. My first Man Utd game in FM09.

My first team squad:

Foster, van der Saar.

Neville, Brown, O'shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Mamadou Sakho, Evra.

Valencia, Stephen Ireland, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Nani.

Rooney, Owen. (and Eto'o soon I hope)

I have sold: Berbatov, Carrick, Hargreaves, Tosic, Park, Kuszczak and a few reserves.

In my reserve team I have players like: Anderson, Fabio, Rafael, John Fleck, Macheda.

Does this look ok? Do I need Anderson? Will Rafael and Fabio become good fullbacks? I think I will buy/loan one more (backup) central midfielder incase Scholes gets injured...

Any other advice that can help me ? :)

Hey Tom, how's it going? First of all promote Anderson to the 1st team, he's the best midfield prospect United have in FM09. Rafael turns into a very good attacking RB, so give him a few games this season and you'll see some improvement, or alternitively buy Srna for £12m like everyone else seems to do. Another sell of berbatov!! I just don't get it, but you seriously need reinforcements up front as Owen is quite poor. I wouldn't have sold both Carrick and Hargreaves and bought Ireland, how much did you pay for him? Not an obvious choice but Patrick Vieira is excellent for one season and is one of the best tutors in the game - you can get him for £5m. Otherwise you have the usual suspects such as Veloso, Palombo, etc to go for.

I echo CPS. Promote Anderson immediately. I cannot understand why he starts off in the reserves!

Veloso, Palombo, Moutinho, Rossi - all good young players.

How much have you sold the players for mate?

Also, you can re-train Fletcher in the RB and DM positions - he becme immense! Check out my screenshot in an earlier post.

Hey Tom, how's it going? First of all promote Anderson to the 1st team, he's the best midfield prospect United have in FM09. Rafael turns into a very good attacking RB, so give him a few games this season and you'll see some improvement, or alternitively buy Srna for £12m like everyone else seems to do. Another sell of berbatov!! I just don't get it, but you seriously need reinforcements up front as Owen is quite poor. I wouldn't have sold both Carrick and Hargreaves and bought Ireland, how much did you pay for him? Not an obvious choice but Patrick Vieira is excellent for one season and is one of the best tutors in the game - you can get him for £5m. Otherwise you have the usual suspects such as Veloso, Palombo, etc to go for.

Hey CPS and thank you for the reply!

Well I sold both Berbatov and Carrick to Man City, and Hargreaves to Villarreal. The reason I sold them both (Carrick, Hargreaves) was beceause I got decent offers and I had signed Ireland. Got Ireland for ~17m.

I will promote Anderson as you said to the first team! Even though he has not impressed in the pre-season, but I will give him a chance.

And yes, I need reinforcement up front. I have made an offer for Eto'o, i'm currently waiting for them to accept it. They want ~45-50m for him...

And I will promote Anderson to the first team.. But I still need backup as Scholes and Giggs both gets injured all the time (yeah, I should have keept one of Carrick/Hargreaves)... I have maybe 3-4m left after I (hopefully) buy Eto'o.

I have looked at Thiago Motta, and they want 1m for him, and he looks decent. I will also try Vieira, but he might be a little expensive.

Srna has allready signed for Man City... But I will use Neville as a starter and use rafael as a backup.

You say Owen is poor. Should I look for another backup striker also, even if I buy Eto'o? If so can you recomend one, I have 3-4m to spend. Age of the striker doesn't matter!

Thank you!

After Carrick has reached 31 so I need a replacement for him. I sold him for 7.25m to Lazio and a season before this, I have bought a Nigerian youngster whom I think that he could do both attack and defence. Here is the screenshot of Lukman Haruna.

18lukmanharuna.jpg

Therefore I have him, Miguel Veloso, Darren Fletcher, Anderson, Hargreaves and Schnerderlin for the coming seasons.

And I managed to sign a regen from my feeder club, Houston where Real Madrid bid for him.

russellgarcia.jpg

He looks good so I bid for him and he eventually join me. I think he is my greatest regen ever based on the stats! The future of my team looks bright with promising stars!

:-)

Hey CPS and thank you for the reply!

Well I sold both Berbatov and Carrick to Man City, and Hargreaves to Villarreal. The reason I sold them both (Carrick, Hargreaves) was beceause I got decent offers and I had signed Ireland. Got Ireland for ~17m.

I will promote Anderson as you said to the first team! Even though he has not impressed in the pre-season, but I will give him a chance.

And yes, I need reinforcement up front. I have made an offer for Eto'o, i'm currently waiting for them to accept it. They want ~45-50m for him...

And I will promote Anderson to the first team.. But I still need backup as Scholes and Giggs both gets injured all the time (yeah, I should have keept one of Carrick/Hargreaves)... I have maybe 3-4m left after I (hopefully) buy Eto'o.

I have looked at Thiago Motta, and they want 1m for him, and he looks decent. I will also try Vieira, but he might be a little expensive.

Srna has allready signed for Man City... But I will use Neville as a starter and use rafael as a backup.

You say Owen is poor. Should I look for another backup striker also, even if I buy Eto'o? If so can you recomend one, I have 3-4m to spend. Age of the striker doesn't matter!

Thank you!

Are you playing weegie's update? There's no obertan? Try go for vagner love..

I echo CPS. Promote Anderson immediately. I cannot understand why he starts off in the reserves!

Veloso, Palombo, Moutinho, Rossi - all good young players.

How much have you sold the players for mate?

Also, you can re-train Fletcher in the RB and DM positions - he becme immense! Check out my screenshot in an earlier post.

Hello Adiee!

Yes, I have now promoted Anderson to the first team!

Fletcher is my favourite player, I love him:D, and I have re-trained him to DM!

Hargreaves I sold to to Villarreal for about ~16m Euro.. Carrick to Man City for ~26m...Berbatov to City for ~22m.. Park to Sunderland 8m and Kuzczak to City for 4m... Possebon to some italian team for 1,5m.. Tosic I don't remember, but around 5-7m so some french team.

(I have never played Man Utd before, I don't know the players that well so keep that in mind please:) )

I am not using weegie's update. I am using an update my friend did. It has "all" the major transfers and promoted teams in the PL for exampel.

And yes, I have Obertan. I forgot about him!

Douglas Costa.. how much did you pay for him? They want ~9-10m for him. Can't afford that right now.. Will look at him after the season!

Tom, you're a little short on the wings with the sale of Tosic, try and bring in Ben Arfa in the next summer transfer window when you get more funds in. As for a cheap back-up striker at around £4m look at Gaston Fernandez, Paloschi, Bangoura at Kiev and, a real shot in the dark, Dimitar Makriev at Ashdod in Israel, he'll only set you back £700k.

Hello Adiee!

Yes, I have now promoted Anderson to the first team!

Fletcher is my favourite player, I love him:D, and I have re-trained him to DM!

Hargreaves I sold to to Villarreal for about ~16m Euro.. Carrick to Man City for ~26m...Berbatov to City for ~22m.. Park to Sunderland 8m and Kuzczak to City for 4m... Possebon to some italian team for 1,5m.. Tosic I don't remember, but around 5-7m so some french team.

(I have never played Man Utd before, I don't know the players that well so keep that in mind please:) )

If I'm being honest, you could've got a hell of a lot more for Berbatov! I sold him for £30m to Inter after my 2nd season.

Park always seems to go to Sunderland haha! It's crazy. Great price for him though! Kuszczak is crap, I'd have drove him to the edge of the planet to get rid of him, a good price also!

For me, Possebon will never make it to any great height on the game. I'd seriously look to sell after his loan spell.

Lee Martin, Richard Eckersley, Magnus Eikram, Matt James and Sam Hewson can all be sold for decent prices too, so that's something else you may want to consider.

You probably know already but, youngsters such as John Fleck (£3m) and Henri Saviet (£5m) are very good players for the future.

And one that you may not have heard of, and I will be signing once the seasons over in my game - Takayuki Morimoto. A winger who plays for Catania. About 20 at the start of the game, I recommend you keep an eye on him! He's Japanese so it will also bring in revenue!

If I'm being honest, you could've got a hell of a lot more for Berbatov! I sold him for £30m to Inter after my 2nd season.

Park always seems to go to Sunderland haha! It's crazy. Great price for him though! Kuszczak is crap, I'd have drove him to the edge of the planet to get rid of him, a good price also!

For me, Possebon will never make it to any great height on the game. I'd seriously look to sell after his loan spell.

Lee Martin, Richard Eckersley, Magnus Eikram, Matt James and Sam Hewson can all be sold for decent prices too, so that's something else you may want to consider.

You probably know already but, youngsters such as John Fleck (£3m) and Henri Saviet (£5m) are very good players for the future.

And one that you may not have heard of, and I will be signing once the seasons over in my game - Takayuki Morimoto. A winger who plays for Catania. About 20 at the start of the game, I recommend you keep an eye on him! He's Japanese so it will also bring in revenue!

Great price there for Berbatov!

I have signed Fleck for 2,5m.. Will have a look at Saveit after the season, at the moment I can't afford him:(

Same with Morimoto. Looks promising, he's young but will wait till after the season is over!

I brought in Thiago Motta. I needed backup and I got him for 900k for a season long loan deal.

My signings this season are now:

Samuel Eto'o - ~40-45m and a 10% sell on clause.

John Fleck - 2,5m.

Mamadou Sakho - ~8-9m and a 20% sell on clause.

Stephen Ireland - ~16-18m, don't remember exactly.

Thiago Motta - 900k loan.

Morgan Schneiderlin - ~2,5m.

Sold:

Berbatov - ~22m.

Carrick - 25-26m.

Hargreaves - 15-16m.

Park - ~8m.

Kuszczak - 3-4m.

Tosic - 5-7m.

And some youngsters/reserves for about 2m total.

Couldn't afford any decent striker. But I will bring in one in the next transfer window! I have Fleck and Macheda who will play if Rooney, Eto'o and Owen gets injured.

Will start the season soon. Will let you know how it goes later:)

Thanks for the replys and the transfer tips guys!

Ive just brought in Sakho and Wijnaldum. Sakho cost me 9M and Wijnaldum cost me 9.5M. Wijnaldum was brought in as a replacement for Park. I sold him to Lyon and Wijnaldum will be used for when Nani and Ronaldo are tired or injured.

Archived