FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Almunia just scored a 20 yard screamer in injury time to draw my champions league semifinal game!

Yes, thats not a typo, its Almunia the Arsenal Goalkeeper, lol.

Go Alumnia - The England International Wannabe

"kuszcak has just scored what seems to be a quick goal kick. get in there"

post 435 from me on here

Anyone had any experience's with Ashley Young? He looks good in my game, right stats in most of the important areas for a winger - just don't want to go wasting money.

Thanks for the suggestions people.

My scouts have had a long look at him and don't think his potential is that great.

£40m for Nani sounds great as he hardly ever performs well for me, although I wouldn't want to sell him to the Arse.

Nani has been excellent for me! Almost as good as Ronaldo with some of his performances, I think with Ronaldo on one wing and Nani on the other, you have 2 of the best wingers in the game, BAR Messi.

Anyone thought of a player to rotate as the MC(attacking) with Anderson? I have Beckham at the moment but he is getting on, anyone suggest someone? I felt like going for Wilshere or Ramsey but I need a player with good passing and long shots and possibly free-kicks.

Anyone had any experience's with Ashley Young? He looks good in my game, right stats in most of the important areas for a winger - just don't want to go wasting money.

Thanks for the suggestions people.

That's a tricky one to be honest. I've never actually brought him for United as Villa always want too much. In my opinion i could spend £24m (most recent quote) on better players. Having said that in my fm08 game with Villa he was excellent and his versatility was a great bonus. In my first season he helped us finish 3rd, so he can't be all bad! If you can get him for no more than £18m you may be looking at a good buy, a top-end premier league player, probably on par with Nani. Hope that helps.

Signed Young before in the demo and he turned out to be complete muck! Had to pay about 25 million for him. About to go into my second season, can anyone recommend a good GK as VDS is too old and anytime I played Foster he let me down badly.

Try Asenjo or even the young Sampdoria keeper. LLoris would be great although these two would be far cheaper

Anyone found any excellent LB prospects? Evra is fantastic but should he get injured i'd be worried...
Try Asenjo or even the young Sampdoria keeper. LLoris would be great although these two would be far cheaper

Lol, Asenjo in my game has 35 appearances for Villadoid and has conceded 59, 3 clean sheets, 3 yellow cards and a red card! I was planning on getting him for my second season, but im gonna stick with fiorillo even though asenjo looks the better player.

Nani has been excellent for me! Almost as good as Ronaldo with some of his performances, I think with Ronaldo on one wing and Nani on the other, you have 2 of the best wingers in the game, BAR Messi.

Anyone thought of a player to rotate as the MC(attacking) with Anderson? I have Beckham at the moment but he is getting on, anyone suggest someone? I felt like going for Wilshere or Ramsey but I need a player with good passing and long shots and possibly free-kicks.

I have Toni Kroos (wonderkid) in that role, rotating with Toulalan and Anderson, doing really well.

Other suggestions = Hamsik and even Veloso plays well in that role.

Marcelo has been great for me at LB

Nani has been an absolute star at AML and has 7 goals to boot.:)

Real Madrid really dont want to sell Marcelo. Found several outstanding RB's but struggling for LB's. (Evra aside of course)

Lol, Asenjo in my game has 35 appearances for Villadoid and has conceded 59, 3 clean sheets, 3 yellow cards and a red card! I was planning on getting him for my second season, but im gonna stick with fiorillo even though asenjo looks the better player.

Asenjo has been great for me. 1st choice even at such a tender age, and with his release clause he's a bargain of a wonderkid keeper.

1st time poster, always start my game with United!!

Anyway I had Real Madrid sniffing round Tevez, would have been happy to let him go for £27 mill, then Chelski and Arsenal come in for a bid, with Arsenal offering £33mill (large chunk in installments). After checking I could get Aguero within my budget I promptly bought him as a simple replacement. That was the only business in the first transfer window, with a Charity Shield, Euro Super Cup and World Club Championship wins under my belt, 4th round of FA Cup, 2nd in the league and in the semi final of the league cup, and through the group stages of the champions league (but with Real Madrid in 1st knockout round) I don't think I am doing too bad!!!

For Januray I have just signed 3 players

Georginio Wijnaldum to act as an extra attacking midfielder

Fausto Rossi - Long Term replacement for Giggs, but short term can work under Nani

Derek Boateng - Played DM/CM for Jerusalem in the Champions League, had 2 great games and was a bargain at £170k.

Have also agreed Banega to come at start of 09/10 season.

Plan to offload Park (impressed with his potential value), Fletcher (likewise), Manucho and Lee Martin.

Next plan is to buy 1 more striker so I have 4 to choose from alongside Berbatov, Rooney and Aguero. Also want an extra centre half, another right back and an able deputy at left back so I can offload O'shea and Brown. Finally a good keeper to rival Foster who is looking good so far.

Have generally found that defensively we are water tight, even with Rafael starting most of the games. Evans has been an able deputy at centre half, and we have actually only conceded 4 goals in the league all season. Scoring wise we have been poor, Ronaldo is top scorer and Aguero only has 1 in the league (despite leading us on assists). Rooney has chipped in, as has Berbatov, but really would expect more from them, and may look to change that in the future.

Couple of questions really, has anyone bought Phillip Lahm? Has anyone else struggled playing berbatov, rooney and aguero? Do they play them in a 4-4-2, or a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1?? They just don't seem to gel at all?????

1st time poster, always start my game with United!!

Anyway I had Real Madrid sniffing round Tevez, would have been happy to let him go for £27 mill, then Chelski and Arsenal come in for a bid, with Arsenal offering £33mill (large chunk in installments). After checking I could get Aguero within my budget I promptly bought him as a simple replacement. That was the only business in the first transfer window, with a Charity Shield, Euro Super Cup and World Club Championship wins under my belt, 4th round of FA Cup, 2nd in the league and in the semi final of the league cup, and through the group stages of the champions league (but with Real Madrid in 1st knockout round) I don't think I am doing too bad!!!

For Januray I have just signed 3 players

Georginio Wijnaldum to act as an extra attacking midfielder

Fausto Rossi - Long Term replacement for Giggs, but short term can work under Nani

Derek Boateng - Played DM/CM for Jerusalem in the Champions League, had 2 great games and was a bargain at £170k.

Have also agreed Banega to come at start of 09/10 season.

Plan to offload Park (impressed with his potential value), Fletcher (likewise), Manucho and Lee Martin.

Next plan is to buy 1 more striker so I have 4 to choose from alongside Berbatov, Rooney and Aguero. Also want an extra centre half, another right back and an able deputy at left back so I can offload O'shea and Brown. Finally a good keeper to rival Foster who is looking good so far.

Have generally found that defensively we are water tight, even with Rafael starting most of the games. Evans has been an able deputy at centre half, and we have actually only conceded 4 goals in the league all season. Scoring wise we have been poor, Ronaldo is top scorer and Aguero only has 1 in the league (despite leading us on assists). Rooney has chipped in, as has Berbatov, but really would expect more from them, and may look to change that in the future.

Couple of questions really, has anyone bought Phillip Lahm? Has anyone else struggled playing berbatov, rooney and aguero? Do they play them in a 4-4-2, or a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1?? They just don't seem to gel at all?????

Do you really want to buy another striker? Don't forget the debt! If you are in your 1st season you will be having Campbell coming back from Spurs; also Welbeck and Petrucci will be developing and you could always play Ronaldo up front. I guess it depends what approach you take-personally i'm going with the wenger-esque approach and buying really young cheap players and letting them come through.

Has anyone figured out how to use the strikers properly? For my 4 forwards- Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Huntelaar- are all averaging about 5.9 to 6.2 every game. It's been about 5 or 6 games into the season for me and neither Berbatov nor Tevez have netted! There seems to be some sort of chronic striker problem too cause Ronaldo plays fine for me on the wing but when I shift him to attack, his ratings drop from 7.5 to 5.5!

I have both strikers set with attack to the max and much creativity. Forward runs and run with ball. For Berbatov I have him holding up ball as well.

Please someone help! Thanks

Has anyone figured out how to use the strikers properly? For my 4 forwards- Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Huntelaar- are all averaging about 5.9 to 6.2 every game. It's been about 5 or 6 games into the season for me and neither Berbatov nor Tevez have netted! There seems to be some sort of chronic striker problem too cause Ronaldo plays fine for me on the wing but when I shift him to attack, his ratings drop from 7.5 to 5.5!

I have both strikers set with attack to the max and much creativity. Forward runs and run with ball. For Berbatov I have him holding up ball as well.

dont forget berbatov is new to the team, so maybe give him time. he is doing well for me.. i play 442 with no extra tactics. i cant remember what he has.. something like 28 in 34 or something.. its in this forum somewhere.. i have him playing with henry and he has some goals too.. thats also with the post about berbatovs goals..

If, as it seems you would rather not spend huge chunks of cash then i can recommend the following players having used them myself:

CB - Sakho

RB - Santon or De Silvestri

LB - Struggling aswell here.

ST - Palacio/Cardozo (Palacio's stats shot up the moment i bought him plus he is lightning quick and two footed) Cardozo, big oaf who scores plenty in the air) If you want to spend more money then the usual suspects are recommended:-

ST Balotelli/Keirrison etc etc

LM - Cristian Rodrigues

CM - Toulalan (world class) Veloso (NOT Moutinho) Diarra, Palombo, Toni Kroos

LB/RB - Darijo Srna - worth every penny IMO awesome player.

Just one thing - if BOTH strikers are set max attacking mentality then are they actually seeing much of the ball? I wouldnt recommend doing this as they will tend to be isolated up in attack on their own. Lower those notches a bit and get your whole team mentality closer together so they play as a unit, and can therefore create better and more frequent chances. Also, partnerships take time to gel, stick with it.

RB replacement for Gary Neville needed. I want him to be in the similar mould of Evra, Im going to make it my to priority so 20-30 mill I will spend. I was thinking of going for Rafinha, anyone got any recommendations?

Just one thing - if BOTH strikers are set max attacking mentality then are they actually seeing much of the ball? I wouldnt recommend doing this as they will tend to be isolated up in attack on their own. Lower those notches a bit and get your whole team mentality closer together so they play as a unit, and can therefore create better and more frequent chances. Also, partnerships take time to gel, stick with it.

Cheers mate. Will give that a go. Am thinking of trying Rooney as an AMC and playing Berba up front alone. Also, anyone have any idea how to work the AMC position? I've used Anderson, Moutinho and Scholes but haven't had much success.

RB replacement for Gary Neville needed. I want him to be in the similar mould of Evra, Im going to make it my to priority so 20-30 mill I will spend. I was thinking of going for Rafinha, anyone got any recommendations?

Rafinha's good but what about Rafael Da Silva?

Anyone who's played a season yet had the stadium expanded? Mine was expanded by 16000 seats.

Just finished the 1st season and for the first time since FM05, I think, I didn't win the league. Here's my overview:

11202008144851zq4.th.jpg

That's only in the demo anyway, and with the full version arriving today I'll be starting a proper game later.

Cheers mate. Will give that a go. Am thinking of trying Rooney as an AMC and playing Berba up front alone. Also, anyone have any idea how to work the AMC position? I've used Anderson, Moutinho and Scholes but haven't had much success.

Rafinha's good but what about Rafael Da Silva?

I tried the AMC position but have now gone back to a flat 442. Anderson/Kroos/Toulalan and Veloso all play incredibly well in am MCa role. Be a little reserved with FwRuns, i tend to find the players run ahead of play too quickly in this position and you end up with nowhere to pass the ball to without hoofing it. Mixed Fwr seems to works much better, arrives forward at just the right time. Anderson has like 10 for long shots but still scores quite a few of these. If you are really struggling i will upload my tactic for you, and you can tinker with it to suit your own players (Its based on WWFans superb TT&F with a Role Theory Mentality system.

Cant recommend Srjna highly enough for this role if you have the money. 2nd preference for me is Davide Santon.

Anyone who's played a season yet had the stadium expanded? Mine was expanded by 16000 seats.

Just finished the 1st season and for the first time since FM05, I think, I didn't win the league. Here's my overview:

11202008144851zq4.th.jpg

That's only in the demo anyway, and with the full version arriving today I'll be starting a proper game later.

Yeh, just had stadium expanded by the same. Should help pay off those debts, just need a couple more marketing feeder clubs. 2nd in the league to Arsenal (last day of the bloody season) but i made huge squad changes so this is gonna be my year!

See above

11202008144851zq4.th.jpg

i see you brought owen, how much did you buy him for? and what is he worth now? ive just paid £5m for him. and he has scored a few.. wondering what sort of price increase he may get, to sell him at the end of the season for the arrival of a younger forward

Really getting annoyed with some of the ratings/performances. Rooney consistently getting low 6's. Anderson one week will be brilliant, the next poor. Same with Hargreaves and Ronaldo. I think this game has a real problem with consistency. Very rarely have I had a player play at the top of his game for more than 3 games.

Klass-Jan Huntelaar started well with 6 in 6 for me, in his past 2 games he's been dreadful. It's so frustrating. Berbatov is injured for 5 months when he was just starting to show some form. Ronaldo certainly isn't living up to his name/stats.

I really think I'm going to do an overhaul of the entire 1st team and squad in the summer. I haven't lost too many games this season, just 2, but I've drawn 11!

Gave Di Maria his first start against Newcastle at home. Put in a MOTM performance with a goal and an assist to drag us from 0-1 down to win 2-1. So that would encouraging.

Van Der Sar, Neville (liability), Ferdinand, Carrick, Park, Giggs, Scholes, Tevez & Rooney could well all go.

Try to bring in Veloso, Giovino, maybe Radoi, Asenjo or Frey and some other hungry youngsters.

I'm currently 4th in the league with 15 games to go, 4 pts behind Chelsea who are first. I have Chelsea & Arsenal both at home so both really big six pointers, but I also have Citeh away, who are pretty damn good to be honest. Currently sitting 2nd.

I've won the Charity Shield, Super Cup, World Club Championship and am in the final of the Carling Cup against Spurs. Hopefully if I can win that too it'll be enough to save my job should I not win the league.

i see you brought owen, how much did you buy him for? and what is he worth now? ive just paid £5m for him. and he has scored a few.. wondering what sort of price increase he may get, to sell him at the end of the season for the arrival of a younger forward
£4.8m I think. Top scorer, but still didn't get that many. Don't think his price was much more at the end of the season.

I'VE GOT FM09 TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! So anyway I've had a poke around but are there any outstanding players that are must buys? Anyone to sell? And how the hell did anyone manage to get over £20m for Fletcher?

just offer him out for 30mill on the first day and citeh or spurs will bite

I'VE GOT FM09 TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! So anyway I've had a poke around but are there any outstanding players that are must buys? Anyone to sell? And how the hell did anyone manage to get over £20m for Fletcher?
£4.8m I think. Top scorer, but still didn't get that many. Don't think his price was much more at the end of the season.

Ive said already but must buys for me are Toulalan/Kroos/C.Rodriguez/Sakho/Saivet and especially Srna!

As for Fletcher, not really sure but City paid me £35m for him. Just offer him up for £40 and see what happens....

In response to 'unlikely stories' comment bought selling evra, i wasn't screwed mate cos skanked arsenal 5 nil in charity shield and have been smashing teams wiht no left back cos 28 mil for a player like evra is better offer getting another left back and another player of decent quality in to cover for injuries. Plus Srna is easily the best left bakc in the game over Evra cos on my mates game form elft bak position he has played 11 scored ten assisted ten.......skanking in free kicks from all over the place. So if anyone has any serious suggestions for a replacement left back id be more than happy to hear and unlikely story you joker dont re-post wasting peoples time !!

In response to 'unlikely stories' comment bought selling evra, i wasn't screwed mate cos skanked arsenal 5 nil in charity shield and have been smashing teams wiht no left back cos 28 mil for a player like evra is better offer getting another left back and another player of decent quality in to cover for injuries. Plus Srna is easily the best left bakc in the game over Evra cos on my mates game form elft bak position he has played 11 scored ten assisted ten.......skanking in free kicks from all over the place. So if anyone has any serious suggestions for a replacement left back id be more than happy to hear and unlikely story you joker dont re-post wasting peoples time !!

I'm pretty sure Sakho can also play left back. Could even try your luck with Traore from Arsenal but will probably have to wait due to his loan at Portsmouth by which time Fabio may be getting on a par. The best bet would probably be to get Sakho and Veloso in and rotate them and O'Shea whilst bringing in Fabio more. They are both great long term buys and will provide decent cover there as well as covering CB and in Veloso's case, DM and MC. Overwise you might be paying over the odds for a more established LB such as Chiellini/Lahm/Srna. All depends on your budget i guess and whether you need other positions covered.

I'm pretty sure Sakho can also play left back. Could even try your luck with Traore from Arsenal but will probably have to wait due to his loan at Portsmouth by which time Fabio may be getting on a par. The best bet would probably be to get Sakho and Veloso in and rotate them and O'Shea whilst bringing in Fabio more. They are both great long term buys and will provide decent cover there as well as covering CB and in Veloso's case, DM and MC. Overwise you might be paying over the odds for a more established LB such as Chiellini/Lahm/Srna. All depends on your budget i guess and whether you need other positions covered.

Excellent advice. Sakho CAN play LB too but obviously not his best position. If you're after a more attacking longer term option then Marcelo or Srjna, but be prepared to pay for their services.

Re Fabio - my coaches insist i should offload him as soon as possible, nowhere near the potential of Evra. Anyone else have the same?

Excellent advice. Sakho CAN play LB too but obviously not his best position. If you're after a more attacking longer term option then Marcelo or Srjna, but be prepared to pay for their services.

Re Fabio - my coaches insist i should offload him as soon as possible, nowhere near the potential of Evra. Anyone else have the same?

re Sakho, exactly, it's not his best position but i believe he is accomplished there? The main point of that is that you give him game time, rather than just the odd sub appearance. Don't forget O'Shea can be pretty decent there too.

Haven't got access to my game at the moment but i think my training report on Fabio said something along the lines that he would become either a decent or good premier league player. Not sure what PA he has got, and i know we can't discuss it on this thread, but he would become a better player (as would players like Sakho and other young players) if they are given more game time. Hate to say it as a United supporter but think Arsenal!

I'm the same, Fabio doesn't look to me nor my coaching staff to have anywhere near the ability i'm gonna be looking for. I'm looking at trying to bring in Joe Mattock next season to work under Evra.

maverick nc1 hits the nail on the head though, get Toni Kroos, the boy is a monster. Also take a gander at his Bayern teammate Mehmet Ecki(sp?), looks a fantastic prospect.

Mav? You don't seem to be a fan of Moutinho, any specific reason? Just interested is all....

Sakho does seem very good. I'll have to have my scouts get a quick look at him and see if he'd be a better bet than Sylvain Armand. Sakho's probably more of a DC, whereas Armand is better at DL it seems.

As for Traore and Marcelo, both would be much better at ML, just like Fabio will be.

And I'm thinking of getting a Scholes replacement, but won't get Kroos the Kraut.

Half-way through my league now this is how the table stands ...

leaguetablehalfwayrh4.th.png

At one point I think maybe 12 games? WBrom were 5th and Villa were 20th!

And my team coming into the January transfer window, any advice? Personally I don't think I need improving anywhere, I will just adjust in the summer probabl after I've won everything :p

manutdteam0809py4.th.png

Been targeting Veloso for a long time, and decided to wait until Summer '09 yet Valencia havfe just come in with a bid of 17 million, so I did the same knowing full well I had no money hoping maybe I could delay the transfer etc. then it wouldn't go through leaving the door open in the Summer. Yet, Valencia got him :( So any suggestions for a new CM would be great I was thinking Hamsik? He's at City on mine and has immense stats for this season.

I've finally started my new games and so far I've bought:

Saivet £2.5m +20% sell on fee

Aquino £950k

Di Maria £6.5m + 10% sell on fee

I'm looking for a RB, LB and possibly a GK though. For RB I'm having to choose between Miguel Torres for £2m or Zebina for £1.2m. Whaddy'a reckon? Also looking at Mattock and Sakho for left back.

I'm looking for a RB, LB and possibly a GK though. For RB I'm having to choose between Miguel Torres for £2m or Zebina for £1.2m. Whaddy'a reckon? Also looking at Mattock and Sakho for left back.

Sakho is a must buy!! Trust me! And he's pretty good at LB, i play him there as well, though his natural position is CB.

Started my game the other day. I didn't adjust the budget coz I wanted to see what I could do with the money I started with.

Players In:

Luis Suarez (Ajax) £12m - been fantastic for me, been playing him as a winger and as a stand in striker, scored 5 in 6 starts.

Douglas Costa (Gremio) - £2.5m - arrives in January due to the under 18's from Brazil rule. Looks a prospect.

Players Out:

Carlos Tevez (Real Madrid) - £28.5m - wasn't happy with the rotation system and wanted to go as soon as Real made an offer.

I've not had the best of starts in the league (drawn too many games) but doing well in Europe and in the League Cup with the youngsters. Hopefully my league position will improve once I find a tactic I want to use coz at the minute i'm using 4-2-4 standard.

Archived