FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started playing and I'm a bit upset that a few of the players have been downgraded this season.

Also, the coaches tell me that Fletcher is the best midfielder - is that true? I can't get carrick playing well for me so maybe it is. Any tips on what are carricks best settings?

cheers

Ok people, i have busy since FM09 came out playing tactical roulette and downloading other peoples through sheer exasperation.

But now, finally, may i present my OWN tactic. It is a 4-3-2-1 formation (Yep, the famous Mike Bassett 'Christmas Tree' formation) It is a fairly well balanced tactic i believe, i didnt create it to be especially defensive but since using it my defence has become tighter than a ducks arse.

Pics below. Please feel free to try it out for yourselves and provide constructive feedback for me.

I am especially pleased as ive finally gotten Rooney scoring.

Dont worry that its only one up top with no wingers, Ronaldo/Tevez et'al are equally comfortable in the AMC role and chip in with a fair few goals.

formationoh4.th.jpgthpix.gif

leaguetablepz9.th.jpgthpix.gif

I get slaughtered using this tactic. It just leaves so much space down the wings. Any tips on solving that issue

Anybody know good tactic for beating Arsenal?

I've managed to beat Arsenal quite a few times with 4-2-3-1

Using 2 v.good DMCs (Veloso and Fazio) - a central AMC with an AML and AMR (Anderson, Mattias Fernandez and Ronaldo) - with Rooney up front.

It's worked four out of the last five times (fifth was a draw). I'm half way through season three....

Anybody know good tactic for beating Arsenal?

battered_arsenal.jpg

Although they are hugely overrated, it's not that difficult. I played a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Hargreaves dropping deep in midfield. I normally keep the width normal and tackling hard. Make sure you play midfield players who will work hard as you will need to close them down for the majority of the game. Anderson seems to do well in the AMC role, he scored a wondergoal in a seperate fixture where I defeated them 3-1 (think it was the Carling Cup final). Always show van Persie and Adebayor on to their weaker foot, close down Walcott and hard tackle/close down Fabregas.

Whatever you do, never play wide against Arsenal. Fabregas will exploit holes in your defence with ease if you do so.

I just had to laugh at the outcome of my last two matches.

First match was Liverpool in the League cup final. Went 1-0 down early, then won it 5-1. The funny thing was that i won 3 , yes Three penalties in that match.

Thought that was a freak thing to happen, especially as it was mainly my backup players. So i then went into the next match against hull. 1-0 down early again, they scored from a corner and their only shot on target all match. However i then won two penalties in that match.

So in 2 consequtive matches i received a total of 5 penalties, and to add to hulls misery they had two players sent of.

gbshjdgkzf, I use Ronaldo as a striker. I have him and Roony upfront with Ronaldo with the backwards arrow. I also make him the target man and the playmaker. He is playing amazing in the role, honestly about 2 goals a game. Im also retraining him to become an ST so he should get even better in that role!!

Does it make a difference on the experience you set??

I just left it so am a rookie and my team are performing so inconsistantly.

I have called a players meeting but still poor.

Keep letting in late daft goals, was 1-0 down to Wigan, got to 2-1 on 80 mins and then Heskey just ran through everyone from the centre spot and scored.

Rooney was firing them in at the start of the season but has gone quiet now :(

Can't seem to get Ronaldo to get enough goals either.

Using Lorenzo's tactic????

I've just been given an offer for Nani, 25m +2.5m after 20 apps and 2.5m after 10 league goals plus 50% of the next sale price (not profit). should I sell and if so who should I replace him with? I have Nani, Ronaldo, Giggs and Young for wingers.

try Zoran Tosic, i signed him when looking around for a winger and dont regret it one bit, plays left and right, and i see in the guardian this morning fergie is ment to be looking at him

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if any of you are having trouble getting Berbatov to score? I am halfway thru my season and he has scored 5 goals. He always loses posession of the ball and he even misses a penalties.

Does he get better after a season? Or should I just flog him and bring someone like Aguero in?

Your opinions would be helpful

Thanks

Ken

Keep letting in late daft goals, was 1-0 down to Wigan, got to 2-1 on 80 mins and then Heskey just ran through everyone from the centre spot and scored.

i am pretty certain that it does have a big effect

i did that too and for the first six months some players were struggling to motivate themselves for me

fortuantely i managed to play reasonably well while waiting for them to decide to play well for u

i think it might have been winning the club world championship that did it for me

i won 3-0 in the semi and 7-0 in the final

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if any of you are having trouble getting Berbatov to score? I am halfway thru my season and he has scored 5 goals. He always loses posession of the ball and he even misses a penalties.

Does he get better after a season? Or should I just flog him and bring someone like Aguero in?

Your opinions would be helpful

Thanks

Ken

I cant say i share your problem, im in my first season at the start of february, Berbatov has made 30 appearances for me scoring 20 goals and making 8 assists.

I play 4-4-2 with berba as the left striker, with forward runs often and he is a target man. He has also had a few dry spells with me for like 4-6 games, but comes back with a brace.

He does not take my penalties so none of his goals have come from them.

I would say tinker with your tactics, and you will get him scoring.

any of your other strikers scoring?

Thanks for your reply.

He gets lots of opportunities to score, but he can't seem to hit the target.

I have Rooney and Balotelli who are scoring goals.

I think I will give him until the end of the season and offload him if he is still not performing for me.

Yes, it can be a big problem, whichever tactic you decide to pick. The experience that you set at the beginning is defining. I changed from Semi-Professional - International footballer, this changed from a 4th place finish, to landing a treble!

The players just cant motivate themselves to play for anyone that is less than a professional in past experience. I think it is replicating real life and the lower experience means you should start in a lower league:)

How is everyone finding these incredible regens?

Do you send your scouts out to countrys looking for players under a certain age or do you look through different clubs u18s yourself?

I found this guy below by searching for free-kick takers with a 20. I was lucky to have found him but he will be my RB for YEARS to come!!

regenks1.th.jpgthpix.gif

By the way, FRAZIER CAMPBELL!! what a beast. He is keeping Berbatov out of my team just by simply scoring goals!

I found this guy below by searching for free-kick takers with a 20. I was lucky to have found him but he will be my RB for YEARS to come!!

regenks1.th.jpgthpix.gif

By the way, FRAZIER CAMPBELL!! what a beast. He is keeping Berbatov out of my team just by simply scoring goals!

Christ he looks immense.

Oh yeah didn't think about using the search function. Cheers mate!

Christ he looks immense.

Oh yeah didn't think about using the search function. Cheers mate!

Get good scouts, set them up around central europe and south america. They will roam and come back with youngsters. I am in my second season so they find quite a few.

regenks1.th.jpgthpix.gif

Almost as good as this guy...

adrianoum5.th.jpgthpix.gif

I'm in my second season too Italia, just started it. I had some of the best scouts in the world too because I redid all the staff etc when I created my own training schedule.

I've finally decided on a settled team.

-------------Kameni-------------

Coloccini----Rio----Vidic----Evra

Ronaldo--Veloso--Anderson--Maria

-------------Aguero-------------

------------Huntelaar-----------

Decided against flat 4-4-2 as this seems a bit more difficult to break down and also works very well on the counter attack because Aguero is the link man and keeps things flowing. It worked well against Arsenal in the Community Shield too and I normally play awful against the Gunners.

He is an 18 year old Brazilian. You can work on physical stats, and scouts have him as having potential to be better than Evra :)

Ah, well if you can get those up then he would be a beast. I would say he has better Mental stats for a winger though :)

hey folks, i have a problem, but one of those a manager doesnt mind having but still a problem, i play 4-4-2 and i cant choose my best 2 central midfielders, one of which sits and the other bombs forward.

my central midfields are:

Carrick

Hargreeves

Van Der Vart

Anderson

Fletcher

Scholes

who do you think i should start

hey folks, i have a problem, but one of those a manager doesnt mind having but still a problem, i play 4-4-2 and i cant choose my best 2 central midfielders, one of which sits and the other bombs forward.

Carrick

Hargreeves

Van Der Vart

Anderson

Fletcher

Scholes

You should probably forget Scholes. He really is getting on now, and with the likes of Anderson and Van der Vaart you already have natural ready made replacements for him.

Fletcher isn't great either. You can sell him and get more than £20 million for him. So that leaves Hargreaves, Anderson, Carrick and Van der Vaart.

VDV's stats do look brilliant but I've heard he doesn't really perform well. Has he played any games for you so far, and how has he played? Anderson responds very well during HT teamtalks I've noticed. I would probably play Hargreaves, who can sit and break up any plays. I'd play Anderson-Hargreaves. Hargreaves can also play very well on the right hand side too, so if you get a knock to Ronaldo you could put him out there and bring Carrick on in CM.

Carrick

Hargreeves

Van Der Vart

Anderson

Fletcher

Scholes

carick/hargreeves rotate them

start scholes and brign on anderson/vdv for impact

sell fletcher :D

Carrick

Hargreeves

Van Der Vart

Anderson

Fletcher

Scholes

carick/hargreeves rotate them

start scholes and brign on anderson/vdv for impact

sell fletcher :D

Just like to say absolute shocking performance from us today against Villa.

If SAF plays Giggs one more time in CM I think I'm going to have to cut my wrists. All he does is waste the ball with shocking passing and veen worse flicks that he trys to pull off.

Ronaldo when in the mood he was today effectively puts us with 10 men. Rooney was awful too, the guy has a serious confidence problem. Why is it he scores in such bursts? Perhaps some osrt of mental psychiatrist is needed because he is choking on 99 goals.

I've just been given an offer for Nani, 25m +2.5m after 20 apps and 2.5m after 10 league goals plus 50% of the next sale price (not profit). should I sell and if so who should I replace him with? I have Nani, Ronaldo, Giggs and Young for wingers.

I presume you mean Ashley Young? How much did he cost, and more importantly is he doing any good for you?

If SAF plays Giggs one more time in CM I think I'm going to have to cut my wrists. All he does is waste the ball with shocking passing and veen worse flicks that he trys to pull off.

Ronaldo when in the mood he was today effectively puts us with 10 men. Rooney was awful too, the guy has a serious confidence problem. Why is it he scores in such bursts? Perhaps some osrt of mental psychiatrist is needed because he is choking on 99 goals.

agree.. all our big four title rivals, drop points, and once again we dont take advantage.

tevez didnt look happy when he got subbed. was shaking his head.. he is gonna leave i think.

+1

Ronaldo has annoyed me this week, not only was he filth against Brazil, he came out and said he was the 1st,2nd and 3rd best player in the world, then today he played like a sulking teenager and to top it off he was subbed and then decided to tell the Villa fans he was number 1 :(:thdn:

He is an amazing player, why ruin it by getting a big head?

Archived