FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok people, i have busy since FM09 came out playing tactical roulette and downloading other peoples through sheer exasperation.

But now, finally, may i present my OWN tactic. It is a 4-3-2-1 formation (Yep, the famous Mike Bassett 'Christmas Tree' formation) It is a fairly well balanced tactic i believe, i didnt create it to be especially defensive but since using it my defence has become tighter than a ducks arse.

Pics below. Please feel free to try it out for yourselves and provide constructive feedback for me.

I am especially pleased as ive finally gotten Rooney scoring.

Dont worry that its only one up top with no wingers, Ronaldo/Tevez et'al are equally comfortable in the AMC role and chip in with a fair few goals.

formationoh4.th.jpgthpix.gif

leaguetablepz9.th.jpgthpix.gif

i can;t see the 4-3-2-1 tactic properly and what players you use. could someone either repost it for me or just type it out?

This game is making me hate all my favourite players. I sold Fletch for £20m. I want to sell Tevez. I want to sell Vidic. And Scholes is the worst player on my team. Stupid game. The tactics are near impossible to get right and my strikers never score.

That said now, I've bought Veloso for £11.25m, I have Saivet, Aquino and Di Maria on my side, now all I need is cover for the fullback positions. But should I sell Tevez and buy Aguero/Rossi and sell Vidic and buy Fazio/Zapata?

Ok Scholes injured for 9months

Anderson not wanting to play, and isnt preforming

Fletcher gone because of a ridiculous offer,

I have 39mil left to spend im in the second season just abouts to play in the Community shield and i need an AM

Help please!

Ok, it's about time I updated how I'm doing.

Just 3 games in my 3rd season with Manchester United, won the Community Shield, beating Arsenal 3-2. Beat Sunderland away 2-0 but drew at home 0-0 with West Ham. My last league defeat was way back on 18th October 2008, that's right! I've groomed the new invincibles!

My first season (which I've posted already) brought me success in almost every area: Community Shield, Super Cup, World Club Championship, Premier League, FA Cup AND the European Cup.

My Second Season was just as successful but I managed to lose to Arsenal in both the Community Shield and the Super Cup. Managed to reach the semi-final of the League Cup but ended up getting knocked-out by Everton. I finished with 100 points in the League - Won 31, Drew 7, For 80, Against 14. Arsenal finished runners up again with 85 points. I have never been on an unbeaten run like this one before and I am loving every minute of it.

Only minor changes were made, and only minor needed in the summer. Wes Brown and Dimitar Berbatov, Aaron Ramsey plus a Paul Scholes retirement the only key transfers out. With Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Fraizer Campbell and Carlos Vela (plus Theo Walcott being able to up front), I had no need to replace Berbatov what-so-ever. Fraizer was my top goalscorer last season with 26 goals, Tevez finishing with 22/23.

The only 2 signings I made were from my neighbours, Man City: Gareth Bale was signed for £19.5m and Joao Moutinho was brought in for £14.25m. City then came hunting for one of my own, Aaron Ramsey - and subsequently bid £40m for him!! Having already had Diarra, Anderson, Veloso and Diaby as my centre midfielders, plus Moutinho coming in, I had no choice but to let him go. Berbatov went to Real Madrid for £80m by the way!!

So, in my 2 seasons as Manchester United manager, the honours list is:

Premier League: 2009, 2010

FA Cup: 2009, 2010

European Cup: 2009, 2010

Community Shield: 2008, 2010

World Club Championship: 2008, 2009

Super Cup: 2008

Hi

I'm managing Manchester United and am looking for an attacking midfielder who is good on both feet so can be trained for the left and right. I'm after someone young and south american who can make an impact coming off the bench.... (like ronaldo when he first joined us)

I'm thinking of texiera of vasco but does anyone know anyone better?

Try my 4-3-2-1 on page six, havent lost to em yet!

this leaves too much space down the wings for teams to exploit!

It LOOKS like it leaves too much space down the wings but trust me, it really doesnt. Ive conceded 7 goals this season, will post the league table if you like. Just give it a go!

This game is making me hate all my favourite players. I sold Fletch for £20m. I want to sell Tevez. I want to sell Vidic. And Scholes is the worst player on my team. Stupid game. The tactics are near impossible to get right and my strikers never score.

That said now, I've bought Veloso for £11.25m, I have Saivet, Aquino and Di Maria on my side, now all I need is cover for the fullback positions. But should I sell Tevez and buy Aguero/Rossi and sell Vidic and buy Fazio/Zapata?

I have Zapata in my team and he has been superb. I think his extra pace provides more security at the back. Oddly, Citeh have just agreed to sell Michah Richards to me for 14.5m. Good bit of business but concerned about his PPM's if i play him at CB. (Gets forward whenever possible)

It LOOKS like it leaves too much space down the wings but trust me, it really doesnt. Ive conceded 7 goals this season, will post the league table if you like. Just give it a go!

It really does work, im not a big a fan of no wingers, but i use this when i play big games like Chelski, Scoucers and Gooners and i've won 6 our of 6 against them this season :D

The only 2 signings I made were from my neighbours, Man City: Gareth Bale was signed for £19.5m and Joao Moutinho was brought in for £14.25m. City then came hunting for one of my own, Aaron Ramsey - and subsequently bid £40m for him!! Having already had Diarra, Anderson, Veloso and Diaby as my centre midfielders, plus Moutinho coming in, I had no choice but to let him go. Berbatov went to Real Madrid for £80m by the way!!

How much did you pay for Ramsey?

Ive now completed my first transfer window (jan as had transfers switched off)

My team atm is :- teamjanve1.th.jpg

League is :- janleaguehi1.th.jpg

Transfers :- transfjanpv1.th.jpg

As you can see the league is extremely tight but slightly concerned about the goal differance compared to the other 2.

Sadly didnt get any silly offers for my players like fletcher etc, the only bids i got of note was £31m for rooney but they were politely told where to go ;)

really enjoying the game. top of the league by two points, only bought mexes, danielle de rossi and david silva. sold nani for 29mil but berbatov just isn't playing well. he's only scored 3 in 16 games whilst Tevez has 12 from 17. I'm in january now and man city have offered 43million for berbatov. Do you think i should sell him and buy Aguero or Villa?

Anybody got instructions for Scholes and the strikers? They've been so utterly inept for me in the friendlies. Scholes is the single worst player to have ever played for me.

What player instructions have you given Scholes? A screenshot would be nice.

2BitCharlie

Good signing in Veloso but was Toni Kroos really worth it for £15m? You could have used the money to invest in a ST or a AMRL as they are positions that need to be improved imo.

im just starting my third season, after winning the league, managed to beat 96 points from the years before with 97 arsenal ended 2nd on 95 and also ended my 71 game unbeaten league record, won the champions league again and the super cup and world clubs but lost FA to arsenal.

just signed veloso and lloris. have retrained veloso to left back as camacho is my first choice def mid

What player instructions have you given Scholes? A screenshot would be nice.

2BitCharlie

Good signing in Veloso but was Toni Kroos really worth it for £15m? You could have used the money to invest in a ST or a AMRL as they are positions that need to be improved imo.

Kroos does have the potential to be very good and what in a short time he has played he has played well, in hindsight i got slightly carried away by other posts in thinking i could offload the likes of fletcher for silly money but nothing happened :eek: it could be the differance in transfer windows i dotn know.

The good thing to come out of this though i started playing Manucho and hes 8 goals, 3 assists and mom's so not bad.

Mr park also has come into a life of his own as well so all going well.

Just beat Chelsea 2-1 as well so now top of the league :D

Only f**k up so far is had submit list for l8r rounds of CL and didnt bother changing it as thought velsco was cup tied and now hes got the right hump :( as not selected :o

Yeah, Ronaldo's not the best at free kicks but his FK attribute is only 14 isn't it? (OK it's 16, has that been upped since the demo?). Also, his PPM of "hits free kicks with power" will make him only good at long range free kicks, so anything short i.e. less than 30 yards is better saved for Giggs or Veloso - I wish you could set that. Nani scored a good free kick for me even though his rating is only 11, although his "curls ball" PPM will help.

Do other people set free kick takers? I usually find it best to leave it to the players to decide at the time.

I don't see the Manchester United players as greatly underrated. The only one who seems greatly underrated i Rafael, given what he has shown us this season. There doesn't seem to be much hope for him in the game; he'll be decent cover, but never great. Park Ji-Sung and Darren Fletcher might also be slightly worse in the game, but it cannot be by much, and they are still good players, although more likely to act as cover for others. Manucho is useless, but I don't really know how good he should be. He has the ability to score goals, but no better than your other players, and he doesn't really play well and doesn't have any future at the club. I'd rather use someone like Frazier Campbell when the attackers are injured.

Nani and Anderson definately seem to be at least as good as in real life. I don't know what people are talking about regarding Jonny Evans; in real life he's yet to break through, while in the game he will be able to quickly step in with the first team and develop well. It's the same with Frazier Campbell. Wes Brown and John O'Shea aren't amazing, but really stable and help the team well. Michael Carrick seems pretty good as well, better than in some previous version, where he seemed a bit underrated. Tevez, Berbatov and Rooney are all really good, just as you would expect, and they will probably carry the team to begin with. Berbatov might be slightly less convincing than he seems right now in real life, but remember that we have only seen him be world class for a short period.

The way I see it, the Manchester United team in the game is great, and seems to hold firmly onto a first or second place for the first season in the test games where I have observed the results. If tactics require it, the might need a better left wing-back, but they are pretty well covered for a few seasons everywhere else. Nevertheless, it would be wise to start setting up replacements for Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs early, to maintain high class in midfield.

Yeah, Ronaldo's not the best at free kicks but his FK attribute is only 14 isn't it? (OK it's 16, has that been upped since the demo?). Also, his PPM of "hits free kicks with power" will make him only good at long range free kicks, so anything short i.e. less than 30 yards is better saved for Giggs or Veloso - I wish you could set that. Nani scored a good free kick for me even though his rating is only 11, although his "curls ball" PPM will help.

Do other people set free kick takers? I usually find it best to leave it to the players to decide at the time.

Yeah Ronaldo has 16 for FK. Have set Fernandez, Hargreaves, Ronaldo as my main FK takers. Don't think I've had them score goals from the FK but other players have headed ball in etc.

1st season review

Start of game

Ins

Oscar Cordoza - ST - 13M

Retrained and Played in AMC all season

56 Apperances 31 Goals (loads of free kicks and headers and few pens)

Outs

Vidic - Arsenal - 30m

Ferdinand - Real - 40m

Park - Man City - 15m

evra - man city - 30m

carrick - man city - 30m

hargreaves - tottenham - 30m

formation/team

kusczak

brown - evans - o'shea (all cb)

nani (rw) - anderson (cm) - flethcher (cm) - ronaldo (lw)

cordoza (amc)

berbatov - rooney

rafael switching with nani (retrained to mr/amr)

fabio switching with ronaldo

tevez switcing with rooney

why i did all this, sold players cause i like selling players for a min of 15m and like younger players. so out goes the old

and i kept the old oshea and brown to get their values up to sell for over 15m. Only brought cordoza cause wanted a good

fk/pk taker, with good long shots.

Jan transfer window.

Ins

Vanden Borre (always been a fan - can play df/wb/dm/m) 10m - only made 8 starts cause of long injury.

Outs

nani - arsenal - 30m + 50% next sale

fletcher - man city - 25m

anderson - man city - 40m

ronaldo - chelsea - 60m + 50% next sale

only brought borre cause i always did in previous games and is versitile. gutted bout the injury. and sold all those players

cause they were so underporfming, so decided to cash in whilst people were interested.

kusczak

brown - evans - o'shea (all cb)

rafael (rw) - rooney (cm) - tevez (cm) - fabio (lw)

cordoza (amc)

berbatov - manucho

competitions

Charity Shield - Winners - 2/1 - pompey

FA Cup - 4th Round - 3/1 - Blackburn

Carling Cup - Semi Final - 4/4 away goals - Newcastle

Super Cup - Winners - 2/0 - zenit

World Club Cup - Winners - 3/0 - LDU de Quito

Champions League - Barcelona -

Premier League - Winners - 38/25/7/6/66/30/+36/82 - Arsenal 2nd, Chelsea 3rd, Everton 4th - Liverpool 7th and no europe..

hahaha - Newcastle Top Scorers (71) - Arsenal Best Defence (23)

Biggest Win - 6/2 - Aston Villa - Home

Biggest Loss - 6/3 - Everton - Away

Finances

Balance - 175m

Payments for players sold - 163.925m

Best Player

Cordoza in his new role. Although he has gone from 13m to 11.75 m.. which i dont see why? as he has scored so many goals and got 7.21 average rating.

really enjoying the game. top of the league by two points, only bought mexes, danielle de rossi and david silva. sold nani for 29mil but berbatov just isn't playing well. he's only scored 3 in 16 games whilst Tevez has 12 from 17. I'm in january now and man city have offered 43million for berbatov. Do you think i should sell him and buy Aguero or Villa?

how much did you pay for de rossi and silva??? they are all pretty hard to get. how did you do it?

what is the size of your pitch? do you make it long and narrow or long and wide??:)

Id like to get a general feeling from everyone regarding Jack Wilshire & John bostock.

Anyone have any experience with them? I've bought Bostock and the boy is a demon, looks like a real prospect. In the 2/3 times i've brought him on his inter-play with Rooney & Berbatov looks great.

But...i've seen a lot of people talk about purchasing Wilshire and i wanted to know if people thought he's the better prospect in the long run?

i've been using the 4-3-2-1 tactic and during the match my assistant has been saying that my forward line is being outnumbered the the other teams defensive line. what should i do??

recently my team has been conceding goals in the first 10 minutes before scoring at least 2 or 3 in the first half. in the end, i will win 4-1, 5-1. has this been happening to others too?

i've been using the 4-3-2-1 tactic and during the match my assistant has been saying that my forward line is being outnumbered the the other teams defensive line. what should i do??

Ignore it. If you notice when playing with one striker your assistant says this even BEFORE the match has kicked off. Generic nonsense which isnt at all helpful.

recently my team has been conceding goals in the first 10 minutes before scoring at least 2 or 3 in the first half. in the end, i will win 4-1, 5-1. has this been happening to others too?

Cant say ive noticed that but i have found teams becoming ever more defensive against me and harder and harder to break down....

what i've been doing is struggling to score, and then when I do, usually a set-peice or long-shot, the other team opens up a bit and I start popping them away, in december of my first season (taking it slow!) not lost a game yet, only conceded 7 goals. Only draw-backs are goal-less draws, of which I have had 5. I am nevertheless top of the league by 6 points with 2 games in hand, having won the World Club Champs

Performances

Outstanding:

Vidic, Rio, Nev, Evra, Brown, O'Shea, Evans, Hargo, Veloso, Diarra, Giggs, Balotelli and Nani

Average:

Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Ronaldo,

Poor:

Scholes, Anderson,

Performances

Outstanding:

Vidic, Rio, Nev, Evra, Brown, O'Shea, Evans, Hargo, Veloso, Diarra, Giggs, Balotelli and Nani

Average:

Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Ronaldo,

Poor:

Scholes, Anderson,

since you are in December, I can relate to those performances. But being in April now I have to say that the performances of Anderson (works badly as AMC but brilliantly as (A)ML), Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney have all gone up. Might have taken them a while to get used to the style of play.

Berbatov is playing horribly, but he also never plays more than 2 matches, before injuring somewhere between 2 and 5 months. Will try to sell him when he is back on his feet, 5 months from now :p

I am currently using the "Great Attacking Tactic" from Irasekhi, which finally seems to work well (after about 6 weeks of using) and gets good performance from strikers.

I have a good tactic, i mean i haven't lost yet! but i just need to tinker with my strikers, lately i've had them both on FW mixed cos otherwise they either don't run forward, or are impossible to involve. buying aguero soon (may try and swap for tevez) so he can burst forward and i can be a threat with through balls too, cristiano has just started to play well in that position at the moment, but i'd rather he was scoring on the wing tbh

Archived