Teams folding

John_Yuki

So it happens all the time in real life, where teams finances get to a point where they are so bad, that the team has to fold and start over scratch from the depths of the league structure. It would be great to see this reflected in the game, where teams who are in administration for a while just fold, and get relegated a few leagues down, and most of their players leave. From a programming standpoint I can't see it being difficult to add in, as it would just be a case of seeing how long a team has been in administration for, and relegation them if they've been in admin too long. The relegation aspect of it wouldn't be difficult either, as you would just promote the next best-placed team from the leagues below to fill in the gaps in the leagues.

On 27.1.2018 at 00:02, John_Yuki said:

So it happens all the time in real life, 

If we stay within the limits of the game world (meaning those leagues that are possible to have active at the start of the game, "out of the box"), how many teams playing in said leagues have actually folded in the past, say, ten years?

I don't have those numbers, but I suppose the examples are few and far between, thus making the feature for FM isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Of course, it happens a lot at the lower stages, but those stages aren't actually present in FM anyway, and there's just so much going on in those leagues anyway, so it'd be near impossible to implement every "special feature" from those.

15 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Teams do already "fall". They don't disappear completely, as I'm sure there are licencing issues there, but they'll go into administration and eventually just drop down the leagues.

Yeah, but what happened to Rangers in 2012 isn't replicated in the game. But, as I asked, how many of those examples have there been in the past ten (or even twenty) years? If few to none (ok, at least one), then there's no need for SI to do any radical changes.

Rangers

Gretna

Airdronians

Clydebank

Wimbledon

Parma

Fiorentina

Chester

Rapid Bucharest

Oțelul Galați

FC Vaslui

Dinamo Bucharest

Universitatea Cluj 

HFC Haarlem

RBC

Strasbourg

Grenoble

Lyngby

Salgueiros

Farense

Not sure that all of these got relegated for their bankruptcies but it's more than Maaka is insinuating from the starter leagues, especially given it won't be all encompassing.

That said, I'm not sure the feature is necessary as it would always feel too regular to the user, even if statistically it wasn't.

Clubs can already get lots of relegations due to financial issues in the game, Sunderland and Blackpool often being in National leagues in my saves over recent editions.

Huh, supposing all those were from the formerly stated leagues, that's quite a bit more than I thought it would be, nonetheless it's still not a large number when you consider the amount of teams challenging those leagues.

In the European countries alone, there are 89 playable leagues, given an average of 18-20 teams per league (to account for the fact that some leagues have several groups), it would mean about 1.800 playable teams each season. That means there have been more than 35.000 team entries in the past 20 years. Assuming there aren't any other than those you've listed (of course, there probably is, just play along for a while), it means 20 teams folded out of 35.000 entries, that's less than 0,06 % foldings in that period (even if the number is multilplied by five, it still would be less than 0,3% - and I don't think it's that large a number, most likely somewhere in the middle, putting the percentage at around 0,10 - 0,15), not enough examples to be considered an "important feature", in my opinion.

(thanks for the examples, @Per Annum)

I'm sure (like a lot of the suggestions in the last week) licencing restrictions are an issue here. But the way clubs start to fall down the league ladder and eventually out of the playable leagues really does the same thing, doesn't it?

• 1 month later...

Cork City, club went to the wall in 2009, fans took over the club 2 weeks later, 4 weeks later with 13 players we drew our first game in Division One 1-1 against Derry City away. 

In November 2017 we did the double, League of Ireland Premier Division Champions and Cup Winners. Its been an amazing 8 years. We now enter Champions League quali rounds.

ex Cork City players: Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, David Meyler, Damien Delaney, Sean Maguire.

• 8 months later...

Archived