English League Cup: 1966

English Championship: 1902, 1911, 2008

English Community Shield: 1920, 1954

---

West Bromwich Albion FC: The Squad

Captain: Johnny Evans

Vice Captain: Jake Livermore

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Boaz Myhill

Defenders: Allan Nyom, Johnny Evans, Gareth McAuley, Ahmed Helgazi (on Loan), Craig Dawson, Keiran Gibbs

Midfielders: Chris Brunt, James McClean, Gareth Barry, James Morrison, Grzegorz Krychowiak (on Loan), Claudio Yacob, Jake Livermore, Sam Field, James Morrison, Nacer Chadli, Oliver Burke, Matt Phillips

Strikers: Salomon Rondon, Hal Robson-Kanu, Jay Rodriguez

Notable Youngsters: Jonathan Leko (out on Loan), Tyler Roberts (out on Loan), Rekeem Harper (out on Loan), Kane Wilson (out on Loan)

• 2 months later...

Decided to start up a winter update game with the Baggies as my dad is a massive WBA supporter so I have some feelings for the club as well and hate how they are being managed irl, almost surely relegated now after the loss to Burnley yesterday.

The budget is very slim after the update (2.3m) and the balance is red (-3m ca) even though Sturridge was the only player to arrive after the update (on loan as well). I really like the squad, there are definitely some interesting players. Chadli, Sturridge, Krychowiak and Evans are all amazing for a lower table side and Burke, Leko and Field are really exciting prospects who can play a part in the senior squad soon (1st or 2nd season). There are also even younger prospects who I might integrate in the 3rd or 4th season (Soule, Wilson, Harper and Tulloch).

I decided to loan out Leko and Field to good championship clubs and use Burke as a backup for both flanks to ensure he gets plenty of game time. Only player brought in was Erik Botheim (300k from Rosenborg). No transfers out as nobody wanted the players I wanted to ship out (Robson-Kanu, McClean and Myhill).

The squad is very old and lacks technique and flair, but the budget will hopefully be handsome next season and over 400k of wages per week will be cleared out next summer with some of the old payers running out of contract (Brunt, McAuley, Barry, Myhill and Morrison (might extend him though, depends on form this season)) and loan contracts running out as well (Sturridge (130k p/w!) and Krychowiak). Am keen on trying to get Krychowiak on permanent deal (might be around 10-15m) or another season on loan.

The only concern is that the squad will be really thin come next summer, but that is a challenge I´m looking a lot forward to. If I manage to sell the players I tried to sell this summer and don´t resign any of the old players or buy my loanees the squad will consist of 15 players (counting Leko and Field returning). 

It´s a challenge but I reckon this squad shouldn´t get relegated in the first season and with solid cup performances that should suffice to keep my job.

P.S. On another note; shouldn´t we rather have a combined thread for EPL teams outside of top 6 rather than having single threads for WBA, Bournemouth, Burnley etc? Understand the Southampton, Everton and Newcastle threads though as those are popular games and clubs with FM potential above the other eleven.

Half the season done. Have been doing really good in the league, anxiously waiting for my form to drop. Chadli and Krychowiak have been outstanding for me. Burke and Botheim looking promising. Took a long time to get either Rondon or Sturridge firing, but when Sturridge got injured for 9-10 months in November (130k p/w for the rest of the season for nothing, horrible waste of money) Rondon started scoring and has about 7 goals now. Chadli still my top scorer with 9. 

5ac25b4ccebb8_ScreenShot2018-04-02at16_22_41.thumb.png.49bc3b691a1a1e7fddd92afb78c23507.png

As you can see below my defence has been really good. Nyom and Gibbs are OK full backs, but I need a new DR for next season (keeping Nyom as cover) and I need a backup for Gibbs as Brunt will leave in the summer. Evans (BPD) and Dawson (DCB) are a great pairing and I have always suffered when Evans gets injured (happens a lot) and Hegazi has to step in (his acceleration is 8). The big clubs are sniffing around Evans and with his injury proneness and age (30, and experience is not a problem here at WBA) I am looking to cash in on him this summer, hopefully he´ll continue his good form and make me able to get upwards of 25m next summer. Big clubs also looking at Chadli (4,5* ability) but I have to be careful not to sell all my good players as the squad will be really thin 1st of July.

5ac25b4e6a147_ScreenShot2018-04-02at16_23_18.thumb.png.b276713df316c26851726477d8e89c57.png

In the Carabao Cup I won against Crawley and Hull only to be knocked out against Swansea in extra time in the last 16. Not looking to do awful much of business this January, but I might get in 1-2 fresh faces for the future.

January done and as expected I had a quiet window where I didn´t want to buy just for the sake of it. Offloaded some wages buy loaning out fringe players no-one wanted to buy (Robson-Kanu, McClean) and giving away McAuley as he didn´t register a single game for me the former part of the season. Livermore is a fine squad player but couldn´t settle in that role and kept moaning again and again about his playing time so I decided to sell him for a decent fee. Brought in two 17 year olds cheaply. Was in the market for full-backs for both sides but didn´t find anyone which fitted into my buying plan ability and cost wise.

5ac9487fc3394_ScreenShot2018-04-07at22_37_18.thumb.png.fc75704de01b052ec46daf989bbc749a.png

So my bank is above the zero for the first time since I took over and I have a healthy transfer and wage budget should I find a player I want. Will probably get a big sum come next summer, especially if I manage to qualify for Europe.

5ac9488106aeb_ScreenShot2018-04-07at22_38_00.thumb.png.df37dae40016b0e4e3332688a609767b.png

The league has been going very well. Originally I wanted just to be save from relegation, but my targets have grown gradually and now I´m aiming for a top seven finish. Might get tough as I´m knee deep in injuries right now, 5 out of my 6 best players are injured right now and my squad is looking very thin at the moment. No back-ups for the full back positions, no back-up for my AMC and AML and no back-up for my striker. Recalled Leko and Field to provide a little cover.

5ac9487cc8a95_ScreenShot2018-04-07at22_35_34.thumb.png.e6dc9a00ae56205aef062aa20edab2a0.png

5ac9487d99468_ScreenShot2018-04-07at22_36_22.png.0821e3a20e9fe5129401636be69b6ec6.png

He´s done it again for the second game in a row! Came on after 79 minutes this time. Exciting goalscorer.

5ad0a6333cebe_ScreenShot2018-04-13at12_37_52.thumb.png.d12857e9f395561f65ab4772bbdca1c1.png

On another note, think I will start a thread in the Career Updates sub as nobody is using this one except for me. Will probably start posting here again if discussions spark up.

Archived