Dominant Arsenal Tactic ? Please share

Hi There, 

I’ve been meaning to begin my Arsenal career however, I can’t find a dominating tactic which I’ve previously done on the previous versions. 

Does anyone have a dominant 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 tactic which works for them and utilises lacazette as the complete forward ? Please share if you have one with your team instructions also. I used to download them from footballmanagerstory.com but they haven’t updated their site for the new fm 18?! 🤔. 

Thanks

It's funny you have just asked this as last night I decided to to start a new Arsenal save. In my previous Arsenal save, I used the editor to keep Alexis Sanchez but for this save I decided I wanted to see how I would do without him. I created two of my own tactics - a 4231 and a 41221 with both using Lacazette as a complete forward!

I have only played 5 matches so far in the league but am already top and scored 16, conceding only 3. Both of these tactics are essentially camping systems which means they are all about pressing and possession, playing the game in the opponents half.

The tactics:

4231 - I usually use this if the opposition is playing without a DMC - space for Ozil.

20180130151537_1.thumb.jpg.878c1c3f9354b18e256c542379b4a906.jpg

PI's: 

GK: Distribute to fullbacks, fewer risky passes

RB: Fewer risky passes

RCB: Fewer risky passes

LCB: Fewer risky passes

LB: Fewer risky passes

DLP: More direct passes, more risky passes

MCL: Default

AMR: Close down more, tackle harder

AMC: More direct passes, close down more, tackle harder

AML: Close down more, tackle harder

ST: Close down more, tackle harder

Make sure you copy everything correctly as this is a very precise system! Essentially this system controls the right flank with the DLP(s) and IF(s). By overloading that flank, it creats space on the other flank for the inside forward on attack. Xhaka is very good in this system as he has the trait likes to switch ball to the other flank so play him as the DLP as much as possible.

433 - If the oppositon is playing a DMC, I go for this system. It deploys Ozil from the right flank(where he has recently started playing IRL).

20180130151636_1.thumb.jpg.b042f590a78d5e9e2e9ad5a36d3860d3.jpg

PI's:

GK: Distribute to full backs, fewer risky passes

RB: Fewer risky passes (you can play him as a wingback on support if you want to him be a bit more conservative)

CD: Fewer risky passes

CD: Fewer risky passes

LB: Fewer risky passes

DM: More direct passes (I have Elneny learning the trait to switch ball to the other flank)

DLP: More direct passes, more risky passes, close down more

BBM: Move into channels, close down more

AMR: More direct passes, close down more, tackle harder

AML: Close down more, tackle harder

ST: Close down more tackle harder

Again, a similar pattern of controlling the right flank and hitting the left flank with the sucker punch.

Results:

20180130153155_1.thumb.jpg.ac54251a1e2171714ddc138b25f5d305.jpg20180130153212_1.thumb.jpg.5530aba8b2df87adf635ce71646bfa66.jpg

Interestingly, despite losing Sanchez I didn't really spend that much on players as I'm trying to stick with the club philosophy of developing youth. The only first team player I brought in was Mahrez and he has only started 1 game for me so far.

20180130153220_1.thumb.jpg.ca46877ad94e1a2f194499618a9975fc.jpg

If you wanna understand how to create your own tactics, watch videos on @Rashidi's youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWUCWx5HNWSuzwGxwVczGPQ. Most of what I have learned about this game have come from watching his videos, thanks Rashidi for teaching me how to create supersystems!

3 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

Most of what I have learned about this game have come from watching his videos, thanks Rashidi for teaching me how to create supersystems!

Thanks I am glad some people are finding the game a lot more easier now.

Tactics that brought me the Premiership in the first season (2017-2018). No cheating of any kind.

4-1-2-3 DM Wide.

Control.

Very Fluid.

Shorter passing, play out of defense, work ball into box, whipped crosses, close down more.

Starting at the back, and from left to right:

SK/Support (Distribute to central defenders)

WB/support - BPD/defend - BPD/defend (CD/defend if Mertesacker) - CWB/support (WB/support if anyone else but Bellerin plays at right back; and the right winger/IF also gets a "get further forward" then)

HB/defend

AP/attack (get further forward, roam from position) - DLP/support

IF/support (get further forward) - CF/support - IF/support. (When/if Walcott plays at right wing, he gets a winger/support role. No other changes because of that)

I'm sure you can figure out who suits playing what position/role yourself. One new first team player in the first window; Hakim Ziyech form Ajax, who can play both AP/attack and Right IF. Plus one for the future; Melegoni from Atalanta. No first team players in the January window, but Xhaka was disposed of. Moaners are out of my team asap.

Summer 2018 Window: Sanches, Özil, Debuchy and Cech out, Mario (Villareal), Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic), Sander Berge (KRC Genk) and Marco Asensio (Real Madrid) in. Doing very well as of October 2018.

8 hours ago, thomit said:

Tactics that brought me the Premiership in the first season (2017-2018). No cheating of any kind.

4-1-2-3 DM Wide.

Control.

Very Fluid.

Shorter passing, play out of defense, work ball into box, whipped crosses, close down more.

WB/support - BPD/defend - BPD/defend (CD/defend if Mertesacker) - CWB/support (WB/support if anyone else but Bellerin plays at right back; and the right winger/IF also gets a "get further forward" then)

HB/defend

IF/support (get further forward) - CF/support - IF/support. (When/if Walcott plays at right wing, he gets a winger/support role. No other changes because of that)

I'm sure you can figure out who suits playing what position/role yourself. One new first team player in the first window; Hakim Ziyech form Ajax, who can play both AP/attack and Right IF. Plus one for the future; Melegoni from Atalanta. No first team players in the January window, but Xhaka was disposed of. Moaners are out of my team asap.

Summer 2018 Window: Sanches, Özil, Debuchy and Cech out, Mario (Villareal), Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic), Sander Berge (KRC Genk) and Marco Asensio (Real Madrid) in. Doing very well as of October 2018.

Hi there, do you have a save of this tactic which you can upload ? 

17 hours ago, thomit said:

4-1-2-3 DM Wide.

Control.

Very Fluid.

HB/defend

I like the use of the two BPDs while your flanks are very attacking in nature, and with the occasional gaps appearing there, you have roles that allow for a quick turnaround for the back. If I may, I would even go as far as using a DCB where the CWB is. That way you have a player who doesn't just think about clearing a ball, he just hoofs it and if you have a top IF in front..then you could produce some varied styles.

12 hours ago, bucin710 said:

Hi there, do you have a save of this tactic which you can upload ? 

Well there's no need to, really ... all instructions are there in my post, simpler and quicker for you to just make a new tactic and copy my instructions, if that's what you really want to do.

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I like the use of the two BPDs while your flanks are very attacking in nature, and with the occasional gaps appearing there, you have roles that allow for a quick turnaround for the back. If I may, I would even go as far as using a DCB where the CWB is. That way you have a player who doesn't just think about clearing a ball, he just hoofs it and if you have a top IF in front..then you could produce some varied styles.

You mean a DFB, right? Well that would be a waste of Speedy Gonzales (Bellerin) at the right back, I feel. But maybe if he's not playing there ...

Incidentally, my tactics are rather similar to Özil-to-the-Arsenal's Pep's Barcelona system. He and I share many of the same thoughts tactics wise.

4 minutes ago, thomit said:

You mean a DFB, right? Well that would be a waste of Speedy Gonzales (Bellerin) at the right back, I feel. But maybe if he's not playing there ...

Sorry the CD, change him to a DCB, not the CWB Basically when and if that space comes under attack when and if u lose possession the ball over the top finds players in advanced positions quickly.

Just completed my first season on FM18 with Arsenal my FM17 simple 4-2-3-1 tactic that I domated FM17 with works just as well on FM18, I won the Prem and Europa league, winning the Prem with the most goals scored and the least conceded.

I dont use any playmakers and all 3 centre mids are set to tackle harder plus the AMC is set to roam from postion.

My favourite thing about this tactic is that the wingers score and assist a crazy amount! (see below....Alexandre Silva is Rafa Alexandre Silva is you are searching for him 27 starts 17 goals and 18 assists 😀).

Srtikers also score a lot, in 26 starts Dolberg scored 29 goals and got 8 assists.

Playmaker-Less Tactic.jpg

Squad.jpg

6 hours ago, dcaine100 said:

Just completed my first season on FM18 with Arsenal my FM17 simple 4-2-3-1 tactic that I domated FM17 with works just as well on FM18, I won the Prem and Europa league, winning the Prem with the most goals scored and the least conceded.

I dont use any playmakers and all 3 centre mids are set to tackle harder plus the AMC is set to roam from postion.

My favourite thing about this tactic is that the wingers score and assist a crazy amount! (see below....Alexandre Silva is Rafa Alexandre Silva is you are searching for him 27 starts 17 goals and 18 assists 😀).

Srtikers also score a lot, in 26 starts Dolberg scored 29 goals and got 8 assists.

Playmaker-Less Tactic.jpg

Squad.jpg

Do you have your tactic saved to upload ? 

16 hours ago, bucin710 said:

Do you have your tactic saved to upload ? 

Here it is: 

Opposition Instructions: 

Full-Back Right: show onto left foot

Full-Back Left: show onto right foot

Wingers and AMCs: Close down, tackle hard, show onto weaker foot

Forwards; Tackle hard, show onto weaker foot.

FM18 4-2-3-1 Playmaker-less.fmf

Give the tactic 10 games for your players to become familiar with it, please let me know how you get on :-) 

On 03/02/2018 at 08:48, dcaine100 said:

Here it is: 

Opposition Instructions: 

Full-Back Right: show onto left foot

Full-Back Left: show onto right foot

Wingers and AMCs: Close down, tackle hard, show onto weaker foot

Forwards; Tackle hard, show onto weaker foot.

FM18 4-2-3-1 Playmaker-less.fmf

Give the tactic 10 games for your players to become familiar with it, please let me know how you get on :-) 

Cheers bud. Will have a crack at it as soon as the new update with winter transfers is done. 👍🏻👍🏻

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Managing Arsenal, too, with some success. Not at my gaming computer at the moment, so this is going to be all text. Hope that's okay!

I've been using a 4231 with Standard mentality and Flexible shape, with my roles set up as follows:

ST - CF (At): Lacazette | TM (Su) or DLF (Su): Giroud

AML - IF (At): Sanchez, Welbeck, Iwobi

AMC - AP (Su): Ozil, Wilshere

AMR - W (Su): Walcott | IF (At): Suso

MCL - DLP (Su): Ramsey, Cazorla | BWM (Su): Coquelin

MCR - DLP (De): Xhaka, Elneny, W. Carvalho

DL - WB (Su): Kolasinac, Monreal | WB (At): Gaya

DCL - CD (De): Koscielny, Mertesacker | BPD (De): Holding

DCR - BPD (De): Mustafi, Chambers

DR - IWB (At) or WB (At): Bellerin | WB (De): Debuchy

GK - GK (De): Cech, Horn

The roles and players listed after the "|" are my alternate options depending on player availability or the demands for a particular match. For instance I play Walcott as a supporting winger and Bellerin as an attacking inverted wingback. But if I could also use Suso, who is an inside forward, instead of Walcott, and re-assign Bellerin to the more typical wingback role. 

Generally, I instruct the team to play at a Higher TempoPrevent Short GK DistributionPlay Out of DefenseBe More Expressive, and Work Ball Into Box. I generally don't like overloading the team with instructions as a default and prefer to adapt to the opponents or to what's happens in the match by adding instructions like Close Down MoreRetain PossessionHit Early CrossesLook for Overlap, and Run at Defense. I also use shouts, such as Concentrate after scoring a goal.

Currently nearing the end of February and leading the league with just one loss (0-2 against Tottenham) and a few draws. It's going smoothly so far, except for juggling how everyone gets enough playing time. There's some bubbling dissatisfaction with the players in central midfield and in the left side of the defense.

17 hours ago, dcaine100 said:

The update is out let me know how you get on with my tactic 😊.

Ye I’m gonna give it a crack now. Will let you know how I go. With your wingers have you used them as inside forwards and seen if that works also ? 

Howd you go second season and beyond? 

They act like inside fowards with the amount of goals they score, but having them set as wingers on attack gives you the best of both roles as they get a lot of assists as well, its important that the wingers are at least fairy strong with their outside foot.

I dominated FM17 for 6 seasons and Im just finishing my 2nd season with Arsenal on FM18 will post my 2nd second season stats tonight, 5 games to go 9 points clear of Man U, got the best defence and most goals scored in the league.

54 minutes ago, dcaine100 said:

They act like inside fowards with the amount of goals they score, but having them set as wingers on attack gives you the best of both roles as they get a lot of assists as well, its important that the wingers are at least fairy strong with their outside foot.

I dominated FM17 for 6 seasons and Im just finishing my 2nd season with Arsenal on FM18 will post my 2nd second season stats tonight, 5 games to go 9 points clear of Man U, got the best defence and most goals scored in the league.

Okay that’s fair enough. I’ll keep them as wingers (attack). My two wingers are LW - Leon Bailey and RW - Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Player signings on the new update are a lot more expensive then previous patch. 

Signings so far: 

GK - Alisson 

LB - Gaya 

CM - Milinkovic-Savic 

LW - Leon Bailey

Got around 30 mil left and might get another winger or I want a better ball winning midfielder, but cannot find someone who has that role which is good enough.

Just completed all my 7 friendlies and community shield. Won 6 friendlies and drew 1. Beat Chelsea 3-1 in the community shield. I’ll continue to see how I go with the tactic. Let me know how you finish the season.

"Just completed all my 7 friendlies and community shield. Won 6 friendlies and drew 1. Beat Chelsea 3-1 in the community shield. I’ll continue to see how I go with the tactic. Let me know how you finish the season."

Hope your pre-season form continues! Anyone else noticed higher scoring games after the latest updates!?

4 hours ago, dcaine100 said:

"Just completed all my 7 friendlies and community shield. Won 6 friendlies and drew 1. Beat Chelsea 3-1 in the community shield. I’ll continue to see how I go with the tactic. Let me know how you finish the season."

Hope your pre-season form continues! Anyone else noticed higher scoring games after the latest updates!?

Cheers Bud ! Will keep you posted. Haven’t had a real crack at it so not sure about the high scoring, although I had a friendly where I won 4-3. Was scoring and conceding for fun. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 20:36, bucin710 said:

Cheers Bud ! Will keep you posted. Haven’t had a real crack at it so not sure about the high scoring, although I had a friendly where I won 4-3. Was scoring and conceding for fun. 

How did you get on with the tactic in the end?

Hi all im really enjoying my Arsenal save (ME frustrations aside) just finished my 3rd season and its been one of my most successful ever seasons in 15 years of playing CM/FM, finished the season on 101pts and was only 1 loss away from an unbeaten season :seagull: which was the first game of the season against Liverpool away :mad: went 37 league games unbeaten after that!.

101 Points 37 games unbeaten.jpg

Also won the Champions League and Carabao Cup unfortunately we missed out on doing the quadruple as we was knocked out of the FA cup 2-1 in extra time by Tottenham away.

Had an Amazing finish to the season was 2-0 down to Real Madrid in the Champions league final was being totally dominated so at half time I told the team aggressively to show some passion, made 3 subs and changed to a more offensive 4-2-3-1 formation then we went on and smashed in 3 goals in just 11mins my super sub Odegaard getting 2 assists :) quickly went back to my defensive 4-1-2-2-1 plus switched on retain possession and held on for the last 15mins against heavy pressure, this is what makes us love FM despite its flaws!

Champions league final score.jpg :hammer: 5abcd1a756d88_Championsleaguefinalratings.thumb.jpg.9620aaec9dca6f3f686089254eb81ae2.jpg 

First Team and Tactic simple but consistent:

First Team Tactic.jpg

Download Tactic: FM18 4-2-3-1 No PM Standard.fmf

Asensio has been my star player scoring 22 and assisting 13 times in 27 games (only played 27 because I heavily rotate my squad). :onmehead:

Asensio.thumb.jpg.00ee7f151282012e5e8760165c11ee9f.jpg

My second XI which isnt bad for backups :) I normally change my entire XI for cup games so the players always play together and form partnerships:

Second Team Tactic.jpg

My starting XI for the for forthcoming season is the same except for 2 changes Mustafi out and Marquinhos in, Savic out Ousmane Dembele in, want the invincible season so bad!

Archived