Bringing on a Youth Player

I've been playing CM and its predecessors for over 20 years I think, but in all that time I don't think I've ever really brought a youth player through into the first team. Hopefully this is mostly because I don't stay for more than 4 seasons or so in any one job, but I want to do it with FM18. So...

5a75fcc221ee3_AlfieEgan_DevelopmentTraining.thumb.png.dafc3d0d159f3a006c384cb655110d57.png

I am managing AFC Wimbledon. This is one of a group of players I have identified as potentially a first team player of the future. Eventually I want him to play as a more attacking central midfielder, in a 4-4-2 which is difficult to break down and relies on pace and power when attacking; he'll be responsible for getting onto the ball and playing through balls either to wide midfielders or strikers who will be quick and strong, and also getting late in or around the box and getting shots away from longer distance.

I've started tutoring him, with a player (Tom Soares) whose personality is "resilient" and who has reasonable stats for a similar role - in League 1 I'm looking at 10-12 being average on the key stats, and 14-15 being a sign of a really good player.

I'm training him as a Central Midfielder (attacking), and with a particular focus on passing. I'm trying to give him games and fortunately he's doing OK, having already scored a couple of goals, so I hope to get him 15 games or so, with maybe half a dozen starting (maybe being subbed off) and the rest coming on as sub. He'll play plenty for the U-23s also.

The team training is different each week depending on recent form and opposition, but I usually start on average or high in the first 2-3 months of the season, dropping to average - low from around January depending on number of games. We have a rest day after each game and a full day of match training.

I'd like him eventually to get stats of around 12-15 for passing, vision, first touch, technique, teamwork, work rate, stamina, natural fitness and off the ball, with stats of 10 or above for anticipation, decisions, positioning, strength, tackling. He'd be an excellent fit then for the role I have in mind.

Am I doing the right things?

You’re absolutely doing the right things, game time is key for the development of youth players. As you are doing, I prefer that game time to come at my club (rather than on loan)  as that way you can control the things you mention - training, tutoring, as well as work levels and game time at a higher level. 

Personality is another key factor for the youth player to develop all the way up to his potential, and within that it is the hidden attribute Professionalism that is the most important. As far as I recall, and unless it has changed for FM18 Resilient does not indicate a minimum level of Professionalism in a player, so if you can I would aim to have him tutored by someone with a guaranteed level of Professionalism. Fairly Pro, Pro, Model Pro are good - but also Resolute, Perfectionist, Model Citizen. 

As far as training, and the aims you mentioned (and my own personal preference for a CM role) would be to choose a schedule that trains Anticipation, Composure, Vision, maybe Mezzala or B2B. This also trains some key physical attributes for playing in the center of the park as an added bonus. 

Finally, and this goes for all your players, the rate of improvement to your players’ attributes is obviously impacted by the level of coaching and facilities at the club. Always always aim to improve these when you can (coaches should have a light load when possible, and obviously the more stars the better). 

Thanks Akkarin! My whole project may be scuppered this evening - no win in 6, the Board called me in after my last defeat (I blamed injuries and got away with it this time), and now 3 of my 5 first team centre backs are out of the season leaving only my first choice and a 35 year old with the turning circle of the QE2. And Oxford at home are next, and they're second. I wanted it realistic I suppose...

From memory I don't have many personality types in the groups you mention - mostly they're balanced, which I thought is neither here nor there. I haven't used anyone on fairly professional though, so might have a couple of them lurking.

Balanced is indeed neither here nor there and can be fairly good or fairly bad but with no real way of knowing other than picking up on othe clues like whether the player accepts heavier training schedules, their coach reports talking about Professionalism, etc.

Hope you manage to turn things around!

If you're gonna play him in a 442 you ought to focus on his stamina. That system places a huge demand on the two central midfielders and they need to be able to run about a lot and not get tired.

While it will improve over time due to him being young, come age 23/24 that really slows down, and almost halts at 25 depending on his personality.

Training
As for training, once you have your tactical familiarity up, during the season you should look to reduce match prep to the 2nd to rightmost setting, and then reduce team training to low. That way your players will spend a lot more time on the training you have set them, whilst maintaining their tactical familiarity.

Archived