FM Touch reviews

A steady 7.good game,offers good value for money,couple of small issues that need sorting.dissappointed with match engine graphics downgrade but understand its because of older tablets.few features i think could be incorporated on to fmt like online seasons with a friend but yeh good game 

For years I was a 'buy it every other year' sort of player. My saves went on so long that I didn't care to start anew with the next year's version, I was still too much in to my current save. The only exception was FM09 because of the 3D introduction. But I stopped playing a few years ago and did other things. So I missed many of the features from the past few versions

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to get back in to it and purchased FM18. When I installed it I saw the option for Touch, but didn't know what it was. So I googled it and saw that at it's core it was Football Manager with reduced focus on interaction. Honestly, through the years I grew weary of the team talk mechanic, petulant players and boneheaded media queries.

When deciding to buy the game I actually thought about how I would like to play without those things, and when discovering Touch I realized it actually existed! That confluence of events seemed perfect.

Having played it now for a bit I would rate it 8/10. The manager 'workload' is perfectly balanced for me. I enjoy just focusing on squad building and tactical work.

One of the features in Touch has transformed the way I play Football Manager. That's the absence of tactical familiarity. I won't argue that it is in anyway more realistic. Indeed, a squad needs time and repetition to become well-drilled in tactical instructions and shape. The way it works in the full version is more realistic, no doubt. But it leads to employing a tactic and sticking with it, if it doesn't click you wonder if the tactic is crap or it simply needs 'more time'. You become hesitant to make changes because you might be doing more harm than good. In an effort to increase your side's familiarity you stick with it, and are less likely to tweak or make changes on the fly. It might be broke, but I don't want to make it broker! Maybe your lack of success creating a winning tactic leads you to downloading someone else's tactic, and you miss one of the most interesting facets of the game.

Since starting a Touch save, I have become the Tinkerman. I begin each match by looking at the opposition's formation and employing my own tactic that I think would be well suited to counter it. It could be the same as the last match, or completely different. It may work or it may not. I watch the matches in comprehesive and pay close attention to where space is opening, where things are congested. Are certain players struggling to have an impact? Is the opposition pushing it;'s fullbacks forward? If I drop my Complete Forward to a Shadow Striker would it free him to perform? I analyze everything and make changes on the fly. You can do the same on the full version, but you run the risk of falling afoul of familiarity. Your change may be a good one, but it may not work simply because the players hadn't done it before. In Touch, that is not an issue.

The upshot is it has made the actual match experience much more engaging for me. Gone are the days of sticking it out in spite of the evidence. Managing in a full-version match I felt far less involved. A shout here or there, substitutions. In Touch I am the Tinkerman, and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I do miss tutoring, and I hope to see that added as an option in the future. I'm interested in the Dynamics feature. I must also say that I don't feel the match engine gives me a completely satisfying version of football. I would like to see the match engine get far more love and attention, but I am not alone there and it's not Touch-specific anyway. All in all though, I've found Touch to be refreshing.

I’ve loved FMT ever since it came to iPad. Just to be able to play the game whilst your missus sleeps means the game is so much more accessible! Was a genius move by SI.

the focus on tactics and transfers also makes it more fun.

but! Sorry to say. This year has gone backwards. The ME is missing something , there have been too many bugs, too many strange results etc.

FMT is a 10 out of 10 game. It’s 2018 iteration unfortunately is a 5. Develop the tactics, training and ME for next year please.

With:

- Editor for custom db

-  Inscription rules

- Simplified system of dynamics

- Posibility of see data from previous years (league tables or transfer market history of your team of previous years)

- A way to see players profile while you are in Match Engine.

- Tactics familiarity

will be a 10

On 2/14/2018 at 12:18, Loren1983 said:

With:

- Editor for custom db

-  Inscription rules

- Simplified system of dynamics

- Posibility of see data from previous years (league tables or transfer market history of your team of previous years)

- A way to see players profile while you are in Match Engine.

- Tactics familiarity

will be a 10

I think it's a solid 7. 

From above:

editor?  meh.  Not if it comes at a cost at other things.

dynamics?  Hmm.  maybe, but only hesitant because I think it opens the door to interviews, team talks etc.  I LOVE the fact those things are not in touch.

Data from previous years?  Even it if was only competitive games not league games only in player stats, that would be huge for me.  I know why SI do it, but it's super annoying for me for players to lose a significant amount of matches/goals from their records each year (makes decisions on players much harder to make).

Player profile in match engine?  Absolutely. 

Tactics familiarity?  Not in a million years.  Like onionbag- it leads me to not know if I have a broken tactic, or a lack of familiarity.  There is simply not enough feedback in the game IMO for these features to work correctly with todays technology.

And if I know how to counter a formation, but my players haven't played it before?  Aghhh.

I played 16, skipped 17, and now playing 18.  It's a bit better than 16.  Not light years ahead, but enough to justify having bought it.

The medical centre is a really nice addition just on its own.

Archived