Love my narrow formations but...

I'm struggling to turn around a bad run. 1 win in 13 and conceded 19 in last 6 away games.

I'm Maidstone in L2, our squad is average to good in some areas for the level. We are 16th.

I play a form of 4132. Roles and duties as follows:

SK (de)

FB (s)

2x CD (def)

FB (att)

DM - DLP (d)

CM x 2 carillero, 1 x AP (att)

2 SC - poacher, DLF (a)

Counter, structured

Mixed passing.

Play wider.

Prevent GK distribution

Don't get me wrong, we are pretty good going forward. Our FB (a) bombs forward and crosses for goals, the FB (s) occasionally making attacking forays. 

The AP is the main creator and the carilleros do this and that. The DLF (a) and poacher combine nicely.

BUT defensively it's shoddy. Admittedly, my FBs don't have amazing defensive attributes and my centre halves have all the physical and technicals for the level but low on mentals. That might contribute. It's difficult to find upgrades at that level and we're not in an amazing financial position either. It's all about working better with what I have until someone affordable and better comes up.

We get ripped apart out wide, either through FBs doubling up or wingers roaming into space with someone moving into that space to pulverise us. Or wingers just pinging balls in and the CBs **** themselves.

As you might expect, the FB (a) is targeted by the AI but I'm reluctant to move him to FB (s) as his influence on the left is a vital offensive cog. Our carilleros have good teamwork, work rate, determination and do cover but not quite enough. So that's one concern. Another issue I've pinpointed is 4 attack duties in my side, especially the 2 forwards. I need to try and stop the AIs movements at source and I'm thinking that defence starts in attack but I'm worried we'd lose some of our strength which is in attack. I've tried DLF (s) and AF, same with a poacher and they just don't really link up. I do think I need one of my strikers to take on more defensive responsibilities to stop potential moves but ultimately we need to score goals to win games.

A defensive forward may be the way forward, does an F9 contribute much defensively? It's my understanding he wouldn't, plus I don't have anyone to fill that role. Would a TM (s) do stuff defensively?

With this formation, I do concede that the AI Will always target the flanks but I want to negate this as much as possible to make us more defensively solid. I don't really want to change formation. So the combinations up top, the 3 in CM and the full backs set up all need re-considering. Or maybe I haven't seen something in the team instructions.

Cheers for any advice!

Are your full backs closing down the opposition full backs allowing the opposing winger to run in behind them?  This is a problem I've had on occasion in narrow formations and If so you could try setting both full backs to close down less (or much less) so they keep shape better and also set the Carilleros to close down more or much more so they provide additional defensive cover out wide.  It doesn't always work but I have found that it helps so it might be worth a try.

Archived