What measures are you taking to reduce injuries during matches? Badly need some good advice...

I am into the middle of December in my first season as Chelsea manager. I am doing well at the moment, top of the league, albeit with two points. I just have one problem right now and I don't know how to handle it:

I get many injuries in matches. Not in training, but during matches. I have played FM for many years, but this is the worst I experienced and it's about to ruin my campaign. I urgently need some good advice. I try mostly to play players that are above 95% match condition, but it doesn't help and I seem to get 2-3 injuries during each game. 

Please, what can I do and do you experience the same?

Thanks,

Anders, Sweden

First of all if the players have less match sharpness they are prone to injuries, Check it out first. Then if you are using heavy training intensity it might cause you to have injuries, Keep checking Medical Center Risk Assessment tab time to time. See what kind of Injury Susceptibility and Match Fatigue they have for those who has injuries, if they have high try to avoid high training and giving rest as much as you can.  

11 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

First of all if the players have less match sharpness they are prone to injuries, Check it out first. Then if you are using heavy training intensity it might cause you to have injuries, Keep checking Medical Center Risk Assessment tab time to time. See what kind of Injury Susceptibility and Match Fatigue they have for those who has injuries, if they have high try to avoid high training and giving rest as much as you can.  

Thanks! I have training set to low-medium intensity, so that shouldn't be a problem. Since I manage Chelsea, often I play every 3-4 day, but I try to rotate quite much but still get many injuries. Also, they are all match related and often my midfielders or forwards. I have checked the risk assessment tab but still to no avail. I will see what I can do.

Anyone who knows of a great thread in this forum where people discuss this in detail?

14 minutes ago, MrMourinho said:

Thanks! I have training set to low-medium intensity, so that shouldn't be a problem. Since I manage Chelsea, often I play every 3-4 day, but I try to rotate quite much but still get many injuries. Also, they are all match related and often my midfielders or forwards. I have checked the risk assessment tab but still to no avail. I will see what I can do.

Anyone who knows of a great thread in this forum where people discuss this in detail?

I guess its bad luck, If you have less training intensity and having rotation as much as you can.  Generally players get tired and injured despite having 90+ Fitness. So see how much match load each of them are having. and if possible rest them from training between match to match for your key players in crowded match weeks. 

19 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

I guess its bad luck, If you have less training intensity and having rotation as much as you can.  Generally players get tired and injured despite having 90+ Fitness. So see how much match load each of them are having. and if possible rest them from training between match to match for your key players in crowded match weeks. 

Maybe it's down to bad luck. I have searched through the forum to see if other people have problems with lots of injuries, but haven't find anything particular so I think it's not a common problem. I will pay even more attention to it and give them some days of rest to see if it changes. Hopefully, it will get normal pretty soon..

1 hour ago, MrMourinho said:

The FAQ (which you can access at the top of the page) has a section on injuries.

The FM Show apparently also discusses it. https://community.sigames.com/topic/429123-the-fm-show-1-presented-by-football-manager/

I get many injuries in matches

What kind of injuries? My experience in FM18 is that I get two or three knocks - bruised ankles and knees, typically - or minor muscle and other strains in each match. Many of them are meaningless, and if you wait and watch, a player who drops to 60% fitness will often recover to better than 80% and see out the match. If you have another game within three days they'll usually be lacking fitness but should recover sufficiently for a match after 6-7 days.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

The FAQ (which you can access at the top of the page) has a section on injuries.

The FM Show apparently also discusses it. https://community.sigames.com/topic/429123-the-fm-show-1-presented-by-football-manager/

Great, I will check that out.

49 minutes ago, warlock said:

What kind of injuries? My experience in FM18 is that I get two or three knocks - bruised ankles and knees, typically - or minor muscle and other strains in each match. Many of them are meaningless, and if you wait and watch, a player who drops to 60% fitness will often recover to better than 80% and see out the match. If you have another game within three days they'll usually be lacking fitness but should recover sufficiently for a match after 6-7 days.

Maybe you have a point there. I am very quick to sub my players if there is an injury. I will try to be patient with some injuries and see if they recover. 

I would advise if you have multiple matches in a week to have rest days before and after matches, match training at, erm, second option from the right on the slider, and intensity "very low". I get a few complaints from my more professional players but its never going to escalate to anything affecting the dynamics, and it keeps them fit. Be wary of the intensity of your tactic as well - if you're playing a high line with a lot of closing down, use a lower mentality. 

I also try to make note of players who have the lowest natural fitness and stamina and rotate them more often, and I rotate my wide players as often as possible - in my last two saves with Barca playing a 2-3-2-3 my wing-backs had a lot of work to do so I alternated them every game without fail, now with Manchester United in a 4-4-1-1 its full backs and wide midfielders being alternated every game. You're Chelsea so you have the budget for the depth to make this possible.

Try to get as many physios as possible and hire the best possible, and get the best fitness coaches possible too. I don't know exactly how they affect things but it can't hurt . 

You also could just be very unlucky though - I've had multiple occasions in this iteration of FM where a guy will take a knock in the first half, then his sub will get a full-on-game-pauses-for-a-substitution injury as well. I'm sure its happened on previous FM as well but I just notice it more because they overhauled how you visualise injuries so much.

3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I would advise if you have multiple matches in a week to have rest days before and after matches, match training at, erm, second option from the right on the slider, and intensity "very low". I get a few complaints from my more professional players but its never going to escalate to anything affecting the dynamics, and it keeps them fit. Be wary of the intensity of your tactic as well - if you're playing a high line with a lot of closing down, use a lower mentality. 

I also try to make note of players who have the lowest natural fitness and stamina and rotate them more often, and I rotate my wide players as often as possible - in my last two saves with Barca playing a 2-3-2-3 my wing-backs had a lot of work to do so I alternated them every game without fail, now with Manchester United in a 4-4-1-1 its full backs and wide midfielders being alternated every game. You're Chelsea so you have the budget for the depth to make this possible.

Try to get as many physios as possible and hire the best possible, and get the best fitness coaches possible too. I don't know exactly how they affect things but it can't hurt . 

You also could just be very unlucky though - I've had multiple occasions in this iteration of FM where a guy will take a knock in the first half, then his sub will get a full-on-game-pauses-for-a-substitution injury as well. I'm sure its happened on previous FM as well but I just notice it more because they overhauled how you visualise injuries so much.

I have started to have rest days in between games for players who play a lot. If I have a rest day before the match, then I assume that I will not get any benefits from match preparation, right?

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

If you are getting injuries in matches, what's the intensity of your tactical system?  The higher the intensity of your system, the more prone to injuries your players may become during matches.

In one of my tactics we press very hard and play a high line, but the tempo is normal. I play standard. Even though we close down more I seem to get the same amount of injuries. Since I started to give some players 1-2 rest days in between games maybe I see a tendency for injuries to occur less. Would you not advise me to play with much pressing? I play with tempo normal so I thought it wouldn't demand that much. 

In one of my tactics we press very hard and play a high line, but the tempo is normal. I play standard. Even though we close down more I seem to get the same amount of injuries. Since I started to give some players 1-2 rest days in between games maybe I see a tendency for injuries to occur less. Would you not advise me to play with much pressing? I play with tempo normal so I thought it wouldn't demand that much. 

Tempo is just how quickly players decide to do something.

On your tactics screen you can see the "intensity" of your tactical system - the higher this is the more likely injuries during matches may occur.  Pressing will be part of that.

There is nothing wrong with a high intensity system so long as you have the players for it and they're able to recover sufficiently between matches.  High levels of Natural Fitness can help with that, as can resting players (always give them a day off after every match regardless of how intense your system is) and employing a Sports Scientist will help with "Jadedness" (ie., mental fatigue).

Also keep an eye on the new fitness screens - watch out for players at high risk of injury.

On 16/02/2018 at 08:11, MrMourinho said:

I am into the middle of December in my first season as Chelsea manager. I am doing well at the moment, top of the league, albeit with two points. I just have one problem right now and I don't know how to handle it:

I get many injuries in matches. Not in training, but during matches. I have played FM for many years, but this is the worst I experienced and it's about to ruin my campaign. I urgently need some good advice. I try mostly to play players that are above 95% match condition, but it doesn't help and I seem to get 2-3 injuries during each game. 

Please, what can I do and do you experience the same?

Thanks,

Anders, Sweden

I get lots of injuries during games. I think there nonsensical really. I've had Salah stop halfway through a sprint 3 times this season. His injury is a bruised ankle. No opposition players were anywhere near him. No tackles were made so I'm not sure what bruised his ankle. 

I haven't had Oxlade Chamberlain fit for more than 10 days before he gets an injury. I have definitely had more injuries in this edition than any other. 

On 16/02/2018 at 16:56, MrMourinho said:

I have started to have rest days in between games for players who play a lot. If I have a rest day before the match, then I assume that I will not get any benefits from match preparation, right?

No you still get match preparation, how much is set by the slider at the top of the training screen. You just get less from general training.

Archived