5-3-2 Failing to create chances (LLM at FM17)

I'm playing my second season in the vanorama league south with Slough Town. First season we just missed the play-offs. This season we have one of the best teams in the league, we are predicted 3rd. That means teams will more often defend against us and will give away less space, particularly behind the defence. Last season we scored a lot of goals out of fast transitions, a long ball to the DLF followed by a through ball to the poacher. But this season that's nog working well, the more defending teams being the reason I guess. 

I'm really struggling to create chances. I've read a lot of articles on this forum, but I can't get it done. I'll try to show my ideas as complete as possible. I hope some of you can help me. 

Team compared to the league:

Fysical.thumb.jpg.7a8a2fc05e029886f918d5a465e1ebde.jpgMentals.thumb.jpg.9b4f6cbcf795de71e594a87a88dc1f72.jpgTechnical.thumb.jpg.9b5f08901a4f6c9cfa7595f183824f73.jpg

The only thing that really jumps out is the bad score on decisions, which is of course an important attribute. So that might be something to worry about.

A couple of key players:

Suljic.thumb.jpg.e0396b9a9343839e6c4ad4da21cb1016.jpgBowen.thumb.jpg.2ce53928999c7ba145128aaf0a700b85.jpgRibeiro.thumb.jpg.df636e6dbb3c4967a66b1725da3130ad.jpgWiltshere.thumb.png.9cee719599ab7fef6411a94f67ab5f54.pngMorrell.thumb.png.d6593cc509e78af625ca16f8f6eaf847.pngHolldack.thumb.png.441756864401e5aff0a33b1f909e20bc.pngMarriott.thumb.jpg.bf3da8d9964f850112cc802cadd5017b.jpgAllan.thumb.jpg.439d180e319a19526cd3b3e939f857f4.jpg

Tactical ideas:

Since most teams are sitting back against us I decided to play on the counter mentality. Like I read a lot of times in Cleons posts: it will give force the AI into our half to give us more space. When we can't counter we build-up carefully. Which should be possible because most my players are comfortable with the ball. Since this is still LLM I decided to go with a structured shape. Not too much freedom and it will make players focus more on their own job. 

The tactic:

Tactic.thumb.jpg.579c77e8f4b8fe7b16a6fc46757a900b.jpg

CWB's are maybe a little positive, but I've chosen this role because the WB's are more involved in the build-up play. What I see is that they are more thinking. When I pick WB (a) the seem to be one dimensional. They choose too often for the dribble and get isolated at the byline. And I think an attack duty is necessary with the counter mentality, because I want them to get forward, provide width and give crosses. 

Ideas to create chances:

1. Quick counters and exploiting the agility and pace of the poacher.

2. Through balls to the poacher or the CM (a) when he jumps into the space the DLF provides when dropping deeper.

3. Crosses from the WB's. When the WB's get the ball I want the CMr and CMl to give them cover so they can play the ball back. These two players should be the pivots to help us switch play to the other side. They also should be picking up the balls that get cleared by the AI's defenders.

Things that I see as problems:

1. WB's get often isolated at the byline. I want the CM r and l to provide support, but they are often too far away. I want these CM's to stay a little wide, but they when we have possession they are often too far in the center. I don't know how to fix this, I tried various rolls. 

2. Too few movement in the center. Very often the MC's don't have good options and there are almost never chances to give the through ball. But maybe I'm asking too much of my players?

Well I hope a couple of you can help me and spot things I'm approaching wrong. Am I putting trust in the wrong players? Tactical mistakes? I really don't know!

Are these players better options maybe:

They're creative, but lack physics, determination and defensive qualities.

Henderson.thumb.jpg.6e8c41873bd8fde58b14a6dd950da650.jpgMatiniadze.thumb.jpg.1848dbc6387c0ad812c9cd1babdbe26b.jpg

I haven't read through everything, I'm just going to give a more general answer, but it should have a lot of useful information that you might be able to use now or later.

To start, you are predicted to finish third and you made the right note that teams are more likely to defend deeper. This means that two strikers will have difficulties breaking down defences alone or on the break as they are often facing four defenders and possibly some defensive midfielders. Often in these situations it's better to take a more patient approach when attacking. In order to do so I don't necessarily see a need to change roles, at least in your tactic as there is a decent balance. Instead, give a thought to these team instructions when playing against a team that defends deep (note that some teams, even though you would be a favourite, might still play a more aggressive game against you)

- Go fluid. What this does is it decreases the mentality of your attacking players and increases the mentality of your defensive players - overall mentality is around the same, but the distribution is different. Why I often use this is because it reduces the mentality of your strikers. This in turn means that they are closer to the midfielders, and when your front to receive the ball, they are more likely to hold the ball up and wait for others to get into play rather than drive by themselves against a packed, organised defence when they are really likely to just lose the ball.

- Tick play out of defence and/or short passing. When your defenders and defensive midfielders have the ball, you don't want them to try and go for a killer pass as the opposition defence is deep so there is little space in behind, and center backs are always favourite to win headers against your strikers. With shorter passing, your players go for an easier pass and move up the pitch in a gradual, controlled manner. And there should be more space to do this as the opponent is retreating rather than pressing and squeezing the space in midfield.

- Lower tempo. Gives your players more time on the ball. Again, the opponent doesn't press as hard, so there is no need for your players to do rushed decisions and lose the ball when you can give them a bit more time to make a better decision. Note that if you select shorter passing it also reduces tempo, so doing both can sometimes be an overkill.

- Go wider. Simply make your wingbacks pull their fullbacks wider apart, so your strikers and CM/A can look for channels between the defenders where they can make their runs.

- Run with ball less. This is something that often gets overlooked. Your players are likely to receive the ball in situations where there are two or more defenders ahead of them, and even for the best wingback it is not the easiest way to play football to dribble past three guys and whip in a perfect cross. Rather, encourage your players to keep the ball moving rather than run into a wall of defenders. Also, you can do this by changing some of the roles. For example, instead of an AF you can go for a DLF on attack duty, instead of a winger or MR/L position you can go for a wide midfielder etc, these being general examples.

- Work ball into box. Just simply to avoid too many long shots that are really common against deep defences. Encourages players to look for a better chance instead of shooting so much from speculative distances and angles.

That's a list of some TIs that I use. There are some other ways as well (I could have added reducing your team mentality for example, but you already play with a low mentality so it might not be helpful here). One thing to remember, you do not and probably should not need to use all of these team instructions as it can drastically change the way you play and your team might not be designed for that, or have enough familiarity for that kind of play. Doing few and small changes helps you notice if the change actually works, if you throw in ten new team instructions at once and your team still doesn't play well you have no idea what actually worked and what harmed your play. The key is to find the instructions that suit your team in these situations, as not all teams or tactics are suitable for all changes. Learn your tactic and what changes you need to make in certain situations, and it will significantly boost your results

Thanks for your response! 

I was already experimenting with more fluid and that seemed to work. Just couldn't figure out why exactly, but you made a good point about the strikers being less isolated and less running blind to the defense. 

Also the run with ball less is a good idea, just didn't think about it but it makes sense. 

We promoted this season so that's good. Had to win the playoffs and we did, but not with convincing play to be honest. That's bothering me a little. I wonder if I judge my players right and ask them to do the right things. We're pretty low on decision making in defense and midfield. You think that could be big problem?

9 hours ago, Jommelb said:

Thanks for your response! 

I was already experimenting with more fluid and that seemed to work. Just couldn't figure out why exactly, but you made a good point about the strikers being less isolated and less running blind to the defense. 

Also the run with ball less is a good idea, just didn't think about it but it makes sense. 

We promoted this season so that's good. Had to win the playoffs and we did, but not with convincing play to be honest. That's bothering me a little. I wonder if I judge my players right and ask them to do the right things. We're pretty low on decision making in defense and midfield. You think that could be big problem?

Poor decision making really can be an issue, especially as it is an important attribute in several aspects of the game. You might want to avoid giving them too much to do - don't let a player with poor decisions get too creative in defensive positions, rather have them play safe and less risky. Still, keep in mind that if the opponent retreats and your midfielders get a lot of time on the ball, they have enough time to make a good decision, but under pressure players with poor decisions will surely miss a few passes and cause dangerous situations at your end.

In general, don't ask your players to do what they cannot do. For example, avoid roles with dribble more for players with poor dribbling, agility and acceleration, don't put a player with poor passing, technique and vision to do longer and riskier passes and so on.

Archived