New to FM18 - Man Utd 07/08

Yo, Played FM games in the past, though this is my first since 15.

Lots of stuff has likely changed, looking for some basic advice and we all know the tactics tooltips are never what they seem, or in my previous experience work intuitevly.

I'm a Man UTD Fan, I want to create something that resembles the 07/08 champions league winning season.

It was 442 - mostly assymetical with Roony and Tevez up front, usually Rooney would drop the deeper of the two and Ronaldo pushed higher than the other winger. The 3 would be pretty flexible in their positioning which is what made them so dangerous.

Defensively it was Rigid banks of 4, classic United.

It wasn't a team that really cared about defense, in fact, fergie's Philosphy was it's fine if they score, we'll score one more.

The defensive line was reasonably stretched out as Ferdinand was a pacey mo fo that had extreme ball playing ability and could easily cover for any errors.

It was a direct and fast counter attacking team.

Carrick was kinda of a Regista I suppose cleaning up in front of the defensive 4 reclying possession laying off to scholes to start the attack, both excelled at starting breaks and switching play with long balls.

This was mainly the prem philosphy, champs league was a little different, but we'll start here.

How would one begin to replicate this with regards to philosphy, tempo roles, structure etc??

I like the idea of playing a counter attack, but past experience again, that hasn't always meant counter attack - and simple tweaks in games like dropping the two CMs deeper against certain OPPs, or using Ronaldo as a CF who'd peel off to the right dragging defenses.

Attacking it was flexible, defensively it was rigid.

I think.

Any basic help appreciated.

If ya need anymore info for what I'm looking for, please ask - but for now, I'm looking for very basic advice on what the roles do really, coz there are sometimes secret stuff, like Counter Attack mentailty playing slower and narrower or something. I like width, sexyy width

Archived