Why are my players regressing?

I only use Football Manager to sim seasons for my games on FIFA. I play the matches in Exhibition Mode on FIFA and then use FM to sim everything from other team results to transfers to injuries to regens and, relevantly for this, player development. I use the same starting 11 as FIFA and just make sure the results match up and then make an adjust for the goal difference.  (I'd highly recommend it - you can obviously use your preferred game of FIFA or PES).

One thing about this is that I don't spend too much time on player development but I have hired the best coaches and, most importantly (at least I thought), I have a really tight squad so I make sure my players play regularly.

I'm in 2022 and Locatelli has been my first choice midfielder for 5 years playing over 200 games always as a deep lying midfielder which is his most natural position. With him in midfield I have won 3 titles, a Champions League, 2 Super Cups and a World Club Cup. He's still only 24.

Since I'm relying on FM for my player development I am changing his attributes in FIFA in line with FM and his stats have basically been in free-fall for the past 5 years. I've looked online and can see that in some sims Locatelli moves to Real Madrid at 29 and becomes a top midfielder. In my game he's my 6th best CM having just been overtaken by a youth team player.

What is going on?  

Sounds quite interesting, to be honest. Still, isn't it a lot of work playing two games pretty much simultaneously?

As for Locatelli, did he have any lengthy injury spells? What position do you train him in?

I’m actually really enjoying it.

It’s not that time consuming running two games simultaneously because all I do is let the first half of the FM match run in commentary mode in the background while I’m playing FIFA. When I’m finished with the FIFA game I run the second half of the FM game and try and make sure the result is the same. If it’s not I just replay the FM game until I get the same result which actually isn’t that difficult. I bring everything together on Excel.

The main time consuming bit is the edits since I need to update the FIFA game in line with FM. However, since I'm doing it as I go along it just means a little extra time spent between matches. I average about two games an hour which is all I can afford with family commitments. I'm certainly not a perfectionist. It's very rough and ready. A bigger nerd than me (bigger?) could probably spend even more time making every aspect the same (other teams' stats, formations (I just do a quick formation change) etc).

The main thing that I really like is the freedom since I can edit as I go along and also change things I'm not happy with e.g. if the computer makes transfers that I'm not happy with. I also really like being involved in every aspect of the footballing universe. As I update other squads I really get to know who they've signed and what youth players are coming through. It's also a really good way of scouting.

The problem is I find none of the games fully satisfactory so this is my rather crude "fix".

Going back to Locatelli, he had a minor injury about 5 years ago, but like I said he's played over 200 games for me as a deep lying midfielder. I admit I have skipped over his training and development but I have hired the best coaches and assistant manager and ploughed money into upgrading facilities. I wouldn't even mind if I was seeing minimal progress but he's actually regressing!

Well, if FM is merely a "simulation tool" for FIFA, it's hardly surprising that some players aren't developing as well, or at all.

Even with the best backroom stuff taking care of the parts you don't need (training, etc), there's no way the players will hit their peak if the games aren't played "the right way", but they're reverse-enginereed to reflect what happened in FIFA.

Also, assistant managers and coaches have the AWFUL habit of adding individual and PPM training to the players' schedule, which overworks them and hinders their natural progression (by significantly diluting the time available for training).
As a partial remedy, I'd suggest you to at least take care yourself of the Individual Training for your first team and for the most promising youth players. You only have to set it up once, and it'll likely work better than anything the AssMan will come up with.

Of course, by playing FM the way you play it, you can't expect to have the same development rates than those who play it as the "main game".

On 21/03/2018 at 03:41, wattzy said:

So if you're editing your players do you also edit the opponents on FIFA? How can this be an accurate simulation of what's happening in the FM game in any way :idiot:

Mostly not. I improve some stats to make sure the opposition players are at a decent level but that's it. I could in theory limit myself to one game and then really go to town. 

It's not an accurate simulation. It's very rough and ready. But it's better than the Career Mode on FIFA.

On 20/03/2018 at 20:41, RBKalle said:

As a partial remedy, I'd suggest you to at least take care yourself of the Individual Training for your first team and for the most promising youth players. You only have to set it up once, and it'll likely work better than anything the AssMan will come up with.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Yes, I accept that I'm not going to get the full experience, but that's what happens with a hybrid 

On 23/03/2018 at 20:45, craigd84 said:

I get that but what is the purpose  of playing this way? like what are you actually getting from it? 

What am I getting from it?

A football simulation.

I'm not sure what people are struggling with. I need to generate fixtures and other teams' results and all of the other stuff that requires football simulation.

If I'm not using FIFA Career Mode (or PES Master League) then how else will I do it?

FM allows me to sim everything and then I can play the games through FIFA exhibition mode. I get the challenge/joy of playing FIFA with the depth of FM.

After 5 seasons it's remarkable how the results actually match up. I'm restarting fewer and fewer games.

Maybe the thing that people are struggling with is the need for an imagination. Yes, I do rely on my imagination somewhat to bridge the gaps and the holes. But that is probably the best part. Where FM, FIFA, PES and most other games are failing is their refusal to let players use their imaginations. All of the games have wholly unnecessary restrictions and limitations for what is, particularly with FM, a single player experience. 

Why is it not possible edit any of these games as you go along? Because you'll cheat yourself?

Archived