How do you build around a TM?

Looking for some more advice.

How does one go about building around a TM? I want the TM to be the focus of attacks, a scorer, less of a creator.

My team lacks wide midfields, but I have 3 very good central mids that are creative and hard working.

The striker Partner to my TM is a slow, aging, but technically gifted Forward.

I'm playing in the Italian League were defense seems to be king - not many high lines, so creating in the final third can be very tricky.

Any advice, or links to advice welcome.

I like to play with Width as I enjoy crosses and headed goals, so the width would have to come from wing backs, so a natural formation to start would be 5-3-2

I've tried so many options, but I can't get any creativity going.

Just now, SammyRai said:

Sweet

It's not a joke. TMs attract hoofs and do what their role suggest: act as a pivot point for other players. If you want him to score and partner him with a creative outlet, don't give him the TM role, even if he's tall. The "recommended role" as given by the assistant is nothing but that: a recommendation you're free to completely disregard.

I have to disagree. I played a TM (A) last season, and he scored 37 goals. He's not even a traditional big man. He's more of an all-rounder, not excelling at anything, but good at everything. TM is his role because I want the ball played in to him. That doesn't have to mean in the air. I used a Poacher to play off him, and it all worked great, earning a second promotion on the bounce.

But I played a flat 4-4-2 and his service was mostly from the wings. I don't have any advice for using a TM with 3 center mids and no wide players, but if I did I would probably look to make my FB/WB attacking and encouraged to cross as much as possible. For what it's worth, I set all wide players to cross to the far post, and I believe that contributed to my TM's success.

Archived