Legend Packs

achillesdindane

I have been playing Football Manager since the series CM98 and onwards. For a historic player like me I always miss the old legendary players like Ronaldo, Hierro, Batistuta, Crespo, Veron, Cafu ...

Therefore, I believe there can be an option in the game preferences for the legendries; such as some packages might be activated as you have done a percentage of the possible achievements.

I would love to see Ronaldo X2 as my strikers or Nesta and Ramos as the center backs!

Recruiting Alessandro Nesta and Gabriel Batistuta to play on your team alongside, say, Matthijs de Ligt and Kylian Mbappe sounds like something you would find on FIFA Ultimate Team.

It does not suit Football Manager, which prides itself on being a simulation.

On 24/03/2018 at 16:40, CFuller said:

Recruiting Alessandro Nesta and Gabriel Batistuta to play on your team alongside, say, Matthijs de Ligt and Kylian Mbappe sounds like something you would find on FIFA Ultimate Team.

It does not suit Football Manager, which prides itself on being a simulation.

I understand, but they've introduced modes like Fantasy Draft and Create a Club, which I enjoy, though of course do prefer the standard version. It would be another "fun" addition to the game to be able to add legendary players to the game, which you might not wish to use, but others might.

Just now, TheGreat10ne1 said:

I understand, but they've introduced modes like Fantasy Draft and Create a Club, which I enjoy, though of course do prefer the standard version. It would be another "fun" addition to the game to be able to add legendary players to the game, which you might not wish to use, but others might.

In FM Touch or FM Mobile... maybe, at a push, it could work. It could be a decent 'unlockable' option.

In full-fat Football Manager, though, I can confidently say there's no chance of that happening. The ability to magically add, say, Zidane or Pelé or Stanley Matthews to your team would take away a lot of realism from the game.

The biggest issue is licensing. No doubt you notice even on FIFA which does include this, it's strange that some players never seem to appear - usually because they don't know who to contact.

Even if you could resolve this, the biggest spectre is acknowledging that things are very different. By modern standards a player like Pele, who began his career certainly malnourished, and by age 30 seemed to have obliterated his legs would compared to modern professionals have to be given a natural fitness of 1 or 2. 

There's something very strange around current top level football, it's not immediately obvious but to try and explain a bit I'll reference what I've seen this season. Tyrese Campbell has been phenomenal looking at u21 level, a cut above, faster, quicker to react, more alert - he looked ready. When brought on a few weeks ago he didn't seem overawed by the situation, but rather the speed he appeared to have wasn't out of the ordinary in the premier league - the quickness of thought he demonstrates in u21 is slow by premier league standard. 

That's not to dismiss the possibility of them being able to adapt, but I support Stoke, I'm a fan of a team that for the majority of my life had its fanbase stuck in the early 1970's but when you watch the football compared to todays it looks amateurish. Players follow the ball like schoolboys, they swarm around again like schoolboys. Non-league teams play with more structure to their game these days. The players were fantastic in their day, but to reimagine them as they were and dropped into todays game they wouldn't be fit enough, intelligent enough to work in todays game. 

A lot of the world class players from the 90's would struggle today, once you start going even further back it only amplifies the issue. The world of football that created Pele and so on no longer exists, and if we're then tasked with creating Pele if he came through in todays game, well that's not Pele, it's just a shortcut to creating an extremely high CA player who bears the name of a famous player.

• 8 months later...

Archived