Scouting

I've only just started playing on 18, due to having a couple of really good saves running on previous versions. Just for info, I always play LLM and follow the guidelines set out in this method of play - so I will only look at signing players that my scouts have found or that appear in news/social media.

I currently have two scouts, both of whom are out searching for new talent, but are remarkably unsuccessful. On FM 16 and 17, an English scout would find 30/40 players that would be suitable within a couple of weeks of a new assignment being set, meaning after a bit of work, I would have a decent pool of players to look at. My two scouts this time around have found 3 players between them in a month (and no free transfers, and I have no transfer budget!).

Is there something I'm missing here? I've tried looking around the scouting centre in the hope that they're only showing highly recommended players and there is another list lurking somewhere!

What are their assignments? Do you have them scouting nations with a bigger reputation than the one you are managing in? That may cause players not wanting to move to your nation.

You can also select players from the player search and request scout reports, that's part of the LLM rules as well.

Regarding the assignments, to look for free transfers I would set up an assignment in your own nation for free agents, and another in your region with the same conditions. Unless the scouts are bad (low determination/adaptability) they will find a couple of good players.

Basically, if I start a LLM game I would do what real life LLM clubs do - boot up Football Manager and scout the database themselves :D

I'm a big anti-fan of the current scouting system - currently I've told a douzen Man Utd scouts to scout u18, u23 and English leagues to League Two - possibly searching for the next best English player. In the end I find them myself (I don't use attribute masking) by sorting 15-16yos by certain attributes (concentration, composure and vision being my favorite ones).

These idiot scouts only moan every other week to cancel their assignment and I find my own players - for example, isn't Will Mannion, a keeper that often features regularly in Hull u23, a good potential? They put up a good report on him, only when I stuck their nose in his face.  There are many other examples, but basically you have to built up your own knowledge and browse the player search often. If you have attribute masking on, you can still be on the lookout for (example) player classified as homegrown in Prem clubs - there are some decent ones doing a good trade in LLM. Basically I'm suggesting scouting yourself and then asking the scouts for further reports (to find out injury proness, temper, etc), than rely on these guys to actually find anything. Possibly it's realistic some people say, but I'm not sold - while at a Turkish Super league club (on another save), my chief scout recommended me a stunning Norwegian newgen from some village, 3-4rd tier club - what the hell he was doing there and how he came up with him? My scout was Turkish and with no connections to Norway whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, Justin_Case said:

I'm managing in the national league South, and the scouts are set to search England. I have tried before to scout for end of contract, but they found nobody at all!

This one is actually trickier - you have to do some geography lessons if you manually search for those! For example, as Truro, I looked for close proximity clubs (so players wouldn't tell me "it's too far to relocate") and I ended up signing most of Plymouth's junk :D

It's amazingly fun, though.

Archived